Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm interested in a cheap trainer. i don't care about zwift or power meters or any stats that i can't already get from my simple cyclocomputer. it would just be nice to train a bit inside without having to balance on rollers. my only real requirement is that it not gently caress my bike up in any way. would a simple non-smart wheel-on trainer be appropriate? something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KG4C5XF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spf3million posted:

I'm going to be spending a bunch of time in Kansas City this winter and will miss my Bay Area winter riding. I've been storing a bike at the KC office to ride in the evening and on weekends but it's starting to get cold and snowy and f that.

Would I be dumb to buy some rollers to use with TR in my hotel room? I already have power meter pedals. Maybe riding right next to the open window in the middle of winter would help with the lack of fan situation? I guess I could store a bike, rollers and three fans in my KC office in this hypothetical scenario...

The Feedback Sports Omnium (with resistance) is ideal for this.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm interested in a cheap trainer. i don't care about zwift or power meters or any stats that i can't already get from my simple cyclocomputer. it would just be nice to train a bit inside without having to balance on rollers. my only real requirement is that it not gently caress my bike up in any way. would a simple non-smart wheel-on trainer be appropriate? something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KG4C5XF

I've never seen that brand before, but yeah, something like that is fine. I'd get the cheapest Saris trainer. There might be a few used ones near you on Craigslist. The build quality is excellent and you'll be able to resell it later on. Do you have a heart rate monitor?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wouldn’t rollers or trainer be too loud for a hotel room?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Agreeing with this. Folded up, the old (black, quick-release only) one is the size of two shoeboxes laid end to end, and the newer (red, QR and TA) one is about 30% bigger in all dimensions. Both are pretty quiet, and are what I ride in the apartment.

You will probably still want a fan, even with that open window.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TobinHatesYou posted:

Cool thank you! I will look into this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Apparently seasons are only plague/frozen dark/wildfire now so I just impulse bought a hrm and a trainer for video game biking. :sigh:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody have any suggestions for roller belts? The headwind on my kreitlers is adding too much resistance and they keep popping off on me. I tried shortening and rewelding a belt and it worked okay for a little bit but it eventually broke.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

e.pilot posted:

Anybody have any suggestions for roller belts? The headwind on my kreitlers is adding too much resistance and they keep popping off on me. I tried shortening and rewelding a belt and it worked okay for a little bit but it eventually broke.

I've never had an issue with the official kreitler one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

I've never had an issue with the official kreitler one.

That’s what I have :smith:

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I tried my first official cycling race last night on rouvy. I had to tap out just after the hallway point. Way too much climbing. BUT, if it wasn't for the climbing i would have shattered what i normally do on flats, so i don't feel entirely demoralized. Especially since i'm not even in shape.
Midwest flat life, yo.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Apparently seasons are only plague/frozen dark/wildfire now so I just impulse bought a hrm and a trainer for video game biking. :sigh:

You won't regret it. Well, you will be when you're hurting. :getin:

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

spf3million posted:

Maybe riding right next to the open window in the middle of winter would help with the lack of fan situation? I guess I could store a bike, rollers and three fans in my KC office in this hypothetical scenario...

I put my trainer outdoors during the first lockdown. It's not the same as a fan, the fan does cool better.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

terre packet posted:

Will an indoor trainer work with my bike?

If so, any recommendations for a trainer for intervals?

I used a Kickr Snap for a few months with a similar bike, but you have to have some luck that the rear axle is standard Quick Release distance and that the bolts fit in the clamps.

Power pedals and rollers seems like a safer bet. Or a bike with more standard equipment.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hiowf posted:

I put my trainer outdoors during the first lockdown. It's not the same as a fan, the fan does cool better.

You definitely need some air passing over your skin when on the trainer. Even a light breeze outside wouldn’t be enough, you’ll start cooking.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ok good to know, thanks.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

FWIW, I use one of those blower fans from when I was a welder, keep my place at 68 degrees, and I still sweat hard on the trainer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any recommendations on apps besides Zwift and trainer road?

I’m mainly looking for:

Erg mode compatibility

Integrated workouts 30-60 minutes

On demand and scheduled workouts

Ability to compete against others in a training session (like a group ride on Zwift, not a race)

Integration of all metrics (cadence, power, heart rate, etc).

I’ve used Zwift for years but I get bored of the same workouts under 60 minutes that they have. I often don’t have the ability to schedule time to join a crit race or any real race at all.

Trainer road is good except there’s no community to it and it was difficult to find workouts under 60 minutes.

Fulgaz is great to look at, but that’s about it. So many of the rides are focused on “holy poo poo let’s climb hill after hill at 15% gradients!” that it’s only good occasionally and their workouts are lacking.

Honestly the peloton app is closest to what i think I’m looking for. I tried it out and it has many of the features I want, but lacks the integration I’d like because I don’t have a peloton bike. This leaves me using my Garmin head unit and only doing the classes that throw out cadence and power zones I should stick to. And I’m not about to buy a peloton. The one other thing it lacks is the ability to just tune out and do a workout like Zwift does. Since Zwift uses erg mode, I can just pick a workout and listen to music without needing to take cues on what’s happening in the next interval. I know their new bike has an erg mode but again, not buying a peloton when I have a perfectly good bike and direct drive trainer.

I might just go back to Zwift unless anyone else has other recommendations.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 2, 2020

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
DCR did a roundup in March covering all of the major and minor players, and probably a good place to start. I don't think the scene has changed too much since then.

Edit: Sufferfest was bought by Wahoo.

TrainerRoad has a pretty active community on their forum, and they added group workouts a few months back which is video feeds of up to 11 people doing the same workout (scaled to their own FTP). Discoverability is pretty poor though, but if you can line one up, especially a ramp test, it can be pretty motivating. I just filtered for <60 minute workouts in TR and it came back with 271, and there's a low-volume option in plan builder.

Zwift is the biggest by usercount, and most days tops 10k active riders, and had the most "events" but I agree with you that the workouts are really weak.

I use TR for its calendar and workout planning, then whatever else to serve as a visual distraction, on again/off again. Mostly Zwift recently, but I've tried Fulgaz and RGT, or just listening to podcasts or whatever, but the "real" work is always done on TR following their workouts and plans.

You might like The Sufferfest, at least for a while? It's pretty immersive, very workout driven and had a pretty cult following (though on FB). The workouts are solo though.

Are you interested in following a structured training plan, or mostly doing some workouts with people?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

spoof posted:

DCR did a roundup in March covering all of the major and minor players, and probably a good place to start. I don't think the scene has changed too much since then.

Edit: Sufferfest was bought by Wahoo.

TrainerRoad has a pretty active community on their forum, and they added group workouts a few months back which is video feeds of up to 11 people doing the same workout (scaled to their own FTP). Discoverability is pretty poor though, but if you can line one up, especially a ramp test, it can be pretty motivating. I just filtered for <60 minute workouts in TR and it came back with 271, and there's a low-volume option in plan builder.

Zwift is the biggest by usercount, and most days tops 10k active riders, and had the most "events" but I agree with you that the workouts are really weak.

I use TR for its calendar and workout planning, then whatever else to serve as a visual distraction, on again/off again. Mostly Zwift recently, but I've tried Fulgaz and RGT, or just listening to podcasts or whatever, but the "real" work is always done on TR following their workouts and plans.

You might like The Sufferfest, at least for a while? It's pretty immersive, very workout driven and had a pretty cult following (though on FB). The workouts are solo though.

Are you interested in following a structured training plan, or mostly doing some workouts with people?

Zero structure. Whenever I have a chance to get on the bike for less than an hour I usually like to do interval or sweet spot training. I do like the spin class environment in some aspects. The peloton app is cool because it automatically pairs music with it.

I tried sufferfest a long time ago and it was cool, but it’s not what I’m looking for now.

I checked DCRAINMAKER’s page and Bkool sounds like it might actually have most of what I’m looking for. The instructor led workouts only pair cadence and HR though, so it doesn’t sound like it would do an ERG mode for those. Still worth giving the trial a chance though.

Trainer Road sounds like it changed a bit since I last used it, so maybe it’s worth another shot-thanks!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TR controlling the trainer and Zwift just picking up the power data is what I usually do. More expensive but I’ve stared at the TR graphs for so long I need some sort of visual engagement. You can also try to line up Zwift KOMs/sprints with your upcoming TR intervals which gives me at least a little more motivation to pound out a tough interval.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I did my post-covid ramp test this morning. 237. That's a far cry away from the 279 I had in February before getting sick in March and September. Gonna be interesting to see what I can build back up to before IWAR in April.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

I did my post-covid ramp test this morning. 237. That's a far cry away from the 279 I had in February before getting sick in March and September. Gonna be interesting to see what I can build back up to before IWAR in April.

Assuming you're fully recovered, I've always found that I bounce back to where I was much faster than I expect once I get back to structured training.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Important part, as I'm sure you're aware, is to respect what your body is currently capable of. It's a much better feeling to be conservative and then destroy every target than to push out too hard and never finish a workout.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just bought a direct drive trainer and fan. Planning on trying zwift. Going to have to clear some space in my office or take a chunk of the living room, but I don't like running as much in the cold if you can believe it. Are there any goon groups or hashtags or whatever?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
New PR up Alpe today :gary:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

My new blower fans are hilariously powerful, during that session I was watching sweat drip off me and after a couple of cm fly off to the left as it hit the air flow.

e.pilot posted:

:hmmyes:

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My new blower fans are hilariously powerful, during that session I was watching sweat drip off me and after a couple of cm fly off to the left as it hit the air flow.

:hmmyes:

When I upgraded my fan setup to two blowers, one of the big differences was just how much less sweat dripped off me and onto the ground. RPE went down because sweating is so much more effective when it evaporates off your skin.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Just started a 12 week training plan with zwift.

It's good when your heart rate matches your watts right? 175w at 175bpm :gonk:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Efficiency factor exactly 1, nailing it

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Ah yes, the Golden Pedal Stroke.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Only if you're also doing 175 rpm

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Hey, if you stick to that training plan this will no longer be true! Either because your watts went up and hr didn't, or because your heart will have exploded.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Friend me on there and get some sickass ride ons. I’m Wide Body on zwift.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
This is just a short rant against my family.

I have had a Neo 2T for about 6 months. Prior to that I had been using a Bushido, I think it is around 5 years old. Certain family members told me not to sell the Bushido, as they would use it and ride indoors with me. Guess how many times it has been used. If you answered any number greater than 0, you would be wrong.

I'm going to clean the dust off of it, make sure it still works, and the sell it. Plus, I am going to keep all the money for myself and put it towards some bike parts I have been eyeing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Hell, same. Watched two guys ride off into the distance and snag 35 and 36 minute times.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Hell, same. Watched two guys ride off into the distance and snag 35 and 36 minute times.

hell yeah

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have an interest in a goon Everest group? Looks like 6x up Ventoux will get it. Thinking before the year is out.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I refuse to do a zwift Everest before I do a real Everest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I refuse to do a zwift Everest before I do a real Everest

Doubleheader imo