Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

oxsnard posted:

I got a peloton a few weeks back, a neighbor who was moving to a small apartment in NYC sold me his year old bike for 600.

I've never been a huge cyclist, went through an outdoor biking phase about 10 years back but spin classes always seemed so dumb to me. But, man, I love it. The classes are great and the FTP testing and realtime data is awesome.

I had been running last year and making myself take rest days was easy because my knees and feet dictated it. I do 30-60 minute rides almost daily at a mixture of medium to difficult exertion.

The peloton doesn't have great overall programming imo. Most of the structured programs only recommend 4 days per week and I know that's too little for me. Should I just plan on 1 day per week of full rest?

I'm just focused on fat loss and cardiovascular health as I need to get me BP down

holy poo poo i would have bought one at that price, too. i'm still hopeful that there will be a rash of cheap home gym equipment when the pandemic fully ends.

i bought a JOROTO and added a wahoo bt cadence sensor and use it with the peloton digital app and i love it. and once i started doing the cycling classes i added the tread classes (work great with the treadmill i already have), the stretching before and after which i always used to be bad about, etc. it's a great experience honestly.

i think you can go at your speed; i tend to do some kind of cardio every day, but switch between running and cycling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Iron Lung posted:

So I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a Peloton and all the required stuff for my wife and I, and she asked me to look at other options, which brought me to this thread. We are looking for an indoor bike, neither of have experience cycling or doing spin, but know we want a bike vs a rower or treadmill for a small home gym we're putting together. I subscribe to the peloton app and I really like it and their trainers. Don't care too much about the leaderboard or heart rate monitors etc that come built in with a Peloton. The bike will be set up in our office/gym which has my PC and will have a TV mounted on the wall as well, so we can sync the bike to that using the app.

Is something like the Schwinn IC4 mentioned earlier a good alternative for people like us? Any other brands people like? I know costco has the echelon, bowflex has one, etc. Certainly wouldn't mind saving over $1000, which I can then spend on fans per the rest of the threads advice.

i just bought the joroto x2 and i'm very pleased. right now they're $440 in the us, i think i paid $590 cad for mine. very good build quality, belt drive, magnetic resistance. quiet, easy to use. i stuck one of the wahoo bluetooth cadence sensors on the pedal bar and it works great with the peloton ios app. i just set an ipad on the top and ignore the (admittedly mediocre) computer that it comes with. it works super well, plus the ios membership is half the price of the peloton membership itself, though it's limited to one person if that matters for you (completely worth it imo). the only difference between using it and the peloton is that you have to get your own feel for what the resistance levels are (this isn't a big deal imo since the trainers are good about calling out what the resistance should feel like, not just the value), and you don't get a power readout for the leaderboard (i don't care about this, personally).