Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm going to be spending a bunch of time in Kansas City this winter and will miss my Bay Area winter riding. I've been storing a bike at the KC office to ride in the evening and on weekends but it's starting to get cold and snowy and f that.

Would I be dumb to buy some rollers to use with TR in my hotel room? I already have power meter pedals. Maybe riding right next to the open window in the middle of winter would help with the lack of fan situation? I guess I could store a bike, rollers and three fans in my KC office in this hypothetical scenario...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TobinHatesYou posted:

The Feedback Sports Omnium (with resistance) is ideal for this.
Cool thank you! I will look into this

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ok good to know, thanks.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm about to pull the trigger on a wahoo kickr core. Any reason I couldn't use a spare 10 speed cassette I have lying around? The bike I'm planning on using has an 11 speed drive train. This feels like a dumb question.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I guess that makes sense. Does the cassette range matter?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Wahoo kickr core, 11 speed cassette, and floor mat on the way :homebrew: Do I need anything else aside from an Apple TV hooked up to a spare monitor? Already have three decent fans at my disposal.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yep

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

PabloBOOM posted:

Everyone please just be nice.

I can barely stand it.
:golfclap:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hello indoor bikers, I am happy to report that I have joined your ranks. After some fiddling, I got everything to communicate and have a few rides in and it's fun! Currently on the Zwift free trial and will probably roll through several other app's free trials to see what I like best.

Since I am using an Apple TV, I think I have to use some sort of bridging device to connect the power, control, cadence, and HRM. I have been using my phone with the companion app and it was a little shaky on the initial connections, seemed to work ok once I got going. I am not a big fan of needing to use my phone for this, wondering if there is another way.

Currently I have:
- Wahoo kickr core
- Wahoo tickr fit HRM
communicates with
-Android phone Zwift companion app
communicates with
- Apple TV 4k
- HDMI to computer monitor

Is there a device I can buy that will fill the bridge function my phone is currently doing? I'm finding references to this CABLE (Connect ANT+ to BLE) device. Or would a used iPhone/iPad work just as well? I don't want to use my primary phone because it's one more thing I have to remember to charge and it seems like it's a big draw on the battery. If I must have a bridge device, I'd rather it be a cheap/sacrificial device which I can leave plugged in in the pain cave so I don't even have to think about it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

mexecan posted:

I just switched to pretty much the identical setup this week. AppleTV, Wahoo HRM, Kickr Core.

I didn’t need to use my phone to bridge the power, cadence or HRM sensors to connect to the AppleTV. Have you tried it without?
Oh dang, it does work. Not sure how I missed it before, this is great thanks!

LRADIKAL posted:

Share your profile so we can friend up!
Does a straight link to my profile do the trick?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah! It opens straight into the companion app. Added!
Bonus, we're in similar performance ranges.

Hey, I've got a question. Am I giving thumbs up to people? I'm using the companion app and it has a button that'll audibly say "ride on". The interface will show thumbs on the rider list on the right, but I'm not sure the two are connected.

Also a quick tip, to stop a ride from the companion app you need to long press the orange stop button, a tap won't do.
I got a few ride ons from you, seems like it's working.

Good tip on the orange stop button. I was wondering why it wasn't stopping when I tapped it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Good deal thanks, worked like a charm yesterday.

I did a 20 FTP test yesterday and ended up with 246w average for the 20 minute test = 234w FTP for a 3.1 w/kg.

Compared to an 8 minute FTP test last May where I averaged 231w = 208w FTP. I weighed 5 lbs more last May resulting in 2.7 w/kg.

This seems like too big of a jump considering I barely rode at all for 3 months last fall. Very different test conditions so I'm planning on repeating in a few months. The 8 min test was outside on a different bike with power meter pedals. The 20 min test was using the power meter on the kickr core, possibly in ERG mode? Or does it automatically switch out of ERG when running a test.

Either way, this indoor biking is way better than I was imagining. It's almost kind of fun. Definitely great being able to get home from work, throw on bibs and shoes, grab some water and ride without worrying about the time of day, weather, getting geared up for the right temp, deciding on a distance, choosing a route, etc. Not to mention safer. I could see myself riding almost exclusively in doors except for weekends when I'm getting out for nice multi hour rides.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Is there a way to upload the Zwift ride report as a photo to the Strava activity? I see other people doing this on Strava.

Currently using apple tv without the phone companion app, wondering if the only way is to take a snapshot/photo of the report via the companion app or if there is some other way.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Those do look nice. I have a swamp cooler that I use without the swamp function. It's great because the fan is elevated so I get straight-on wind to my torso. The best part is the remote control so I can slowly ramp up the fan speed as I warm up.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How much will it cost to ship back to them? Can't be cheap..

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ah nice, well that's not horrible then I guess.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
For me, I got a lot out of chasing stats and tracking data that indoor riding with a subscription service makes easy. There are specific training plans, primarily HIIT based, that take the guess work out of trying to figure out how long to ride and how hard to go. Sure you can plan on just riding for two hours while watching a movie but you're more than likely going to fall into an easier pace, burn less calories and ultimately be less efficient with your time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've been using zwift on a kickr core -> apple tv 4k -> HDMI -> dumb tv. I'm getting bored of zwift and would like to try something else for a while. The new Wahoo Systm looks interesting... how can I get it on the tv? Do I need a cheap laptop with HDMI out and some sort of BT dongle? Would I need two dongles, one for my HR monitor and one for the kickr? Or am I better off on a tablet with a little stand in front of the bike ignoring the tv?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TobinHatesYou posted:

Run SYSTM on your phone and screen share it? e.g. iPhone to Apple TV via AirPlay.
Or course I have an Android phone. Maybe buying a cheap iphone or ipad is the way to go.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Mrs. spf wants to try out my kickr core. The kickr has an 11 speed cassette but she only has access to a 9 speed bike. Anything wrong with putting the 9 speed on there in the small ring/biggest gear and running it on ERG mode? My thinking is the extra width of the 9 speed chain wouldn't be an issue in the biggest gear.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

wooger posted:

The chains are different widths, you will damage the cassette, or at least wear in prematurely.
That's why I was considering putting it in the biggest rear cog and running ERG mode, i.e. never shifting so the wider chain wouldn't rub on the adjacent cogs when in a higher gear.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It's really just for an initial trial run. I'll give it a whirl with the current 9-s chain.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Very slow start to this year for me too

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm thinking about giving TrainerRoad a try. What are the sessions like? Are you just staring at a power graph or is there something more to keep you engaged?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks. I'm enjoying the engagement options on sufferfest wahoo systm. Kind of corny but they're distracting at least. I like the idea of the adaptive training on TR though.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Crumps Brother posted:

The rocker plate works!

Kinda went overboard on the whole thing after I stumbled across a design from this group WeRideSouth. I'll do a couple more rides and then break it back down so I can pretty it up. Needs to be routed, sanded, painted/stained, and sealed up still.

In other news, my rear end in a top hat cat already found the power cord to my trainer.

That looks awesome, how do you like the fore/aft movement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I did my first "100k" on Zwift last weekend. It sucked about as much as I expected.