Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I run a Elite Direto on Zwift and find that I have problems getting into a supertuck. It seems that the trainer is reading the energy stored in the flywheel and I have to wait for it to spin down before it will register I have stopped pedaling. Is this correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Can I get a recommendation for Bluetooth earphones that can handle Discord I find my current ones battery barely last an hour? annoyingly they start disconnecting when they show 20% charge.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Sarthek posted:

This may be a silly question, but I thought I'd post it here before subjecting myself to a range of off-topic tirades on the Zwift forums: is there a way to cap the number of other riders Zwift renders on a route?

Huge maps like Watopia are all fine and well, but if you go for a ride in smaller map like New York right now it's crazy crowded. You're just overtaking a conveyor belt of slower riders and, if you're (the low end of) mid-pack like me, getting overtaken by another conveyor belt of faster riders at the same time. This seems to result in my rider freaking out and making quite violent zig-zags across the route to avoid people whenever I get to a steep hill where there are a bunch of people stopped or moving super slowly.

Overall, it's not the end of the world (and I'll freely admit that I'm one of the new influx of lockdown riders contributing to the problem), but if there's an easy config file change or something to cap how many other riders I see at one time then it'd be nice to know about.

I believe you can also just turn off or disconnect your wifi/internets for the length of your ride, but you will need to reconnect to upload your ride to Zwift, Strava etc.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

gwrtheyrn posted:

I ended up finding this elsewhere and plugged it in to GC, except I started a bit higher since 46% is basically as hard as walking for me. Ended up stopping around the equivalent to 20.5 minutes with a 46% start. Honestly better than I expected since the only cycling I've done in the last 8 months were in the last 3 weeks. Number can only go up from here right :v:

I'm trying to not get into any subscription platforms since this is more of cross-training for me. Running is my main focus right now, but cycling is pretty convenient for a change of pace or if I forget to go out and don't want to run in the dark. I still have the zwift code that came with my trainer for this reason.
If you don't want to get into a subscription the Grand theft Auto bike mod might be of interest. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cy...auto-456625/amp

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Crumps Brother posted:

I've been spraying things down with some water and wiping it off with a towel after my workouts. Saw a Muc-Off product specifically for post-workout wipedowns and it got me wondering if I should be putting something else in my water to help. Vinegar or something maybe? Anyone have any thoughts on that?
I always cover my handlebars and stem with a towel to stop sweat corroding the headset, stem etc.
With carbon you are pretty safe but any steel or aluminium components are at risk from the salt in your sweat. If it's a dedicated trainer bike I would recommend carbon or a old set of cheap steel bars. And maybe remove the bar tape.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

spf3million posted:

That's why I was considering putting it in the biggest rear cog and running ERG mode, i.e. never shifting so the wider chain wouldn't rub on the adjacent cogs when in a higher gear.

I actually think you will be ok with this, I had a almost new 9speed chain I tried on a tenspeed cassette, it worked but the lovely missing link I had would catch. Perhaps you could fit a ten speed chain which should work with 9 and 11?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

tylertfb posted:

Speaking of the Elite Suito trainer: I lost (threw away) the thru-axle adapters for standard M12 x 142 spacing because I didn't own a disc-brake bike at this time last year. Well, now I do have one and want to use it on the trainer. Does anybody have a set lying around that they could measure? I know the ID and thread size obv but how about the OD of the non-drive side adapter and it's length? If I can't get a replacement set sent to me, I can easily make a set in the machine shop at work.
I have elite direto ones but they look different according to this, https://www.bikester.co.uk/elite-th...qBoCCXwQAvD_BwE won't they post to you?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

wooger posted:

Sounds perfect, thanks both of you. There is 10% off on the site just now, ordered.

Definitely recommend getting the remote controlled one if it's not too late.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Stages gave me a new 20m record for the year and only 12w off my all time so I’m definitely loving this bike.

Thinking of buying a $10 android phone from eBay to use for a dedicated Stages Link device. Seems crazy you can’t grab the BT data transmitted to the PC and display the current gear into somewhere.

You could try using running android emulator something like bluestacks. Are you saying you don't access to a iPhone, iPad or Android phone?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't sprint that hard and tilt my bike everywhere. I don't think I've really pushed more than 500 watts for any significant length of time. If you insist on swinging your bike around like that, shouldn't you get one of those tilting platforms?

I can only hit 1000 watts for a few seconds but it was enough to make my bike move across my kitchen floor. Now my bike is in my conservatory and have the front wheel wedged up against a cupboard, problem solved. Though the movement seemed to be more up and down of the front wheel rather than from side to side.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Did the stupid zwift mountain climb. Ended the ride.

I wanted a cool down so I did a putter around London or whatever.

Loaded that up too.

Oh, my 650m climbing effort didn't bother uploading to loving Strava but the 40m elevation in a 15 minute London ride did. How about gently caress you zwift/Strava

:comeback:
you can usually do a manual upload.
Uploading Zwift Activities Manually
If your activity has not automatically uploaded to your Strava account, you can still upload it manually.

From a computer
Navigate to zwift.com/feed and click on Just Me.
Find your missing activity and view the activity page.
Click on the Gear Icon (Activity Settings) and under Fit File download the activity file.
Open this page on the Strava website, click Choose Files and select the FIT file.
From a mobile device (requires iOS10 and cloud storage service like iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive).
Navigate to my.Zwift.com in a mobile browser and log into your Zwift account.
Click the Download link under the activity you'd like to upload.
Follow the prompts to save the file to your preferred cloud-based service (requires cloud service storage such as iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive).
Open a new browser tab and navigate to https://www.strava.com/upload/select. Tap Choose File, choose the cloud service where you saved the file and select the FIT file.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Heliosicle posted:

What lag do you all normally get between the gradient you see in Zwift and the trainer increasing the resistance? I'm using an ANT+ dongle on the end of a usb cable to connect to the H3 and it seems to be around a second for me. Not so long but enough that it's distracting and makes it hard to estimate how hard to push over small sharp hills.
I guess a couple of seconds, when I am lined up for a race on Zwift I have to start peddling a couple of seconds before the start or I am just left behind. Also my trainer takes a second for the resistance mechanism to adjust.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I think it might be easier to do this. "Convert a real-life route to a Zwift workout"https://whatsonzwift.com/gpx-to-zwift-workout

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 15, 2023

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

$99/yr TR grandfather :whatup:
TrainerRoad has announced via their forum today (and tomorrow via e-mail to members) that existing ‘Legacy’ members with prices that have never changed, will have the option to start changing to the same higher price as others.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...TX8j_jnv61ZWUHz

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

TobinHatesYou posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but most of the time I don't even pair the resistance unit in Zwift. For me the immersion from Zwift is from chasing rabbits, not from experiencing rollers or steep climbs. I actually find gradient changes detrimental in Zwift racing. I want to shift on my own terms, not when the resistance unit suddenly starts kicking my rear end or drops out from underneath me.

I have not heard the term "two-way smart trainer" before. I can't think of any app-controlled smart trainers that don't report data back to a recording device. They all have built-in power meters, that's what a magnetic braking unit is...it applies braking power.

If I am just watching a video or listening to a podcast, I will sometimes not pair the resistance of my trainer. I think some early trainers would report power but not change resistance, but that's not really a smart trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Angryhead posted:

I'm a bit worried about sweating on a tablet if it's directly ahead of you and doing an effort out of the saddle, but it's so standard that it must be a non-issue, especially if you wipe it after a ride. Still keeping mine off to the side a bit though.

Anyways, finally went for a proper effort up it and crushed the sub-hour Alpe :)

Confident that I could knock off a minute or two in my current form, had a bit left in the tank at the end...
Of course I still didn't get the dumb wheels.
Been consistently doing ~12 hour weeks on Zwift this year, very satisfied with that too.

I started Zwifting with a Ipad mini on a Camera tripod. I dont think sweat harmed the Ipad, but I had a huge problem with ghost touches from dripping sweat, trying to mop up sweat from a touch screen at full effort is a pain. I am now on a PC with a 30inch screen and a old phone for the companion app mounted with a quadlock. If you use what you already have it doesn't cost a penny, For very long indoor rides I used a ironing board to hold drinks and snacks.