Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just bought a direct drive trainer and fan. Planning on trying zwift. Going to have to clear some space in my office or take a chunk of the living room, but I don't like running as much in the cold if you can believe it. Are there any goon groups or hashtags or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Got a Tacx flux s, and started riding zwift. My butt is still working up to the saddle. Can sustain 150 watts for thirty minutes so far. I am L RADIKAL on zwift, hmu!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can get to 181bpm while jogging, but I certainly haven't worked my way up even close to this level on a bike yet. Wow, is that safe? How old are you?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Tacx flux s is en route.

gently caress yeah, boys.

And dumb referral poo poo for app previews or there?

My TacX Flux S came with 30 free days. Zwift itself gives you 7 days trial. I used the 7 day trial, then used the 30 day trial.

Oh yeah, and 30 free days of the Garmin training app which I haven't touched.

https://www.zwift.com/activity/719184513179455264
Did my first race. I'm in D class still, but getting pretty close to hitting the 2.4kw/kg limit, so I thought I'd try to get some W's. However, the people who won in my class were knocking out 3.4kw/kg. How are they still in class D? The community and Zwift support have very fragmented documentation.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I registered there, looks like I might have to do another event before I can actually add myself. Zwiftpower is also owned by Zwift?

Oh yeah, I also side loaded zwift companion on my kindle fire 7 cheapest version, and it seems to be sufficient, bluetooth and PC synced in no time. Waiting for my tablet clamp to come in to test it.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 4, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's my first. Only complaint is that I'm on carpet and my floor might be a little soft besides that. So I think I need to put a plank down or something. If I start doing wobbly standup pushing It pulls the frame out of alignment with the trainer and my gears go crazy.
Works fine otherwise, not that I have anything to compare it to. Boots quickly, only uses a few watts at idle (tested at wall).

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Along those lines I picked up one of these fork mounting blocks that I'm getting a carpenter friend to mount to some wood.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO7GRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
We have 3 yoga mats, I turned one into my sweat mat. I'm just starting to max out my cardio on the trainer, but I do have a floor fan pointing at me and an open window, so I'm not a mess. I am aware of the dangers of corrosion on the bike and grossness of carpet. Also I cleaned and lubricated the chain and picked a lot of crude of the the cogs and such.

I cranked the tacx included skewers dang hard, I've never had an issue with this using an actual wheel. Should I pick up a different set of skewers? I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's preferable to be able to reach the interface, I use a kindle fire for the companion app attached to my handlebars.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Saved 13 inches of space. If I hop up and do wheelies and twist the wheel around, it will start to work it's way out from under the forks, but it seems to be stable enough for my purposes.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I might add a little more support, but you guys, it's safer than actually riding a bike, hope that helps with perspective.

To be a little less flip, the bike is attached to a fixed base on the back, so it can't go forwards or backwards, also, the skewer isn't designed to let the bike rotate on the mount, which adds a nice bit of friction.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Right, and I'm saying that I already climbed onto it, and bounced wheelies on it, which, if I keep doing, eventually gets the strut to move. The bike is constrained in it's back and forth motion. Besides which, if it does go out from under the bike, I'm only dropping 13 inches, again, on a bike that is locked stationary. It's pretty janky looking, but it's more stable than you think.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thank you for your concern.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Development posted:

What's wrong with using the wheel on?

Space constraints.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I promise to post a picture of my bloody face when I fly over the handlebars at 0mph.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
MARK II

A bit bigger, longer bolts and some carpet spikes on the bottom. Not going anywhere! Now I can fit my fan in front when I ride and hit my body and face and not just freeze my toes off! (don't yell at me)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Nope. He's good. There is nothing pushing him forward. Gravity is resolved perpendicular down to the floor. Pedaling produces an opposite effect vertically, it is acting to lift the bike and rotate counter clockwise from our viewpoint.

Of course if he lunges forward, there could be a problem.

Or maybe my analysis is wrong.

Thank you. Additionally, I tested stability by balancing my hips on the handlebars and leaning over almost horizontally, it's not going anywhere unless I can simultaneously lift the front and the back.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
At the most pessimistic, I'm confident that If I do begin putting loads on it that will cause it to become unstable, I will notice before it goes out from under me. I'll let you all know if anything changes.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

rngd in the womb posted:

Can you at least post your rides here just to assuage our worries?

For real? Either way, my zwift profile is in my post history in this thread. Friend me up, let's ride! If you're lucky I'll crash in front of you!

Edit: I'm training from the opposite direction of the above poster. My cardio is pretty good, my bike muscles are catching up!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dren posted:

He doesn't have his front wheel on because there's not space to have both the front wheel and the fan in front of the bike. I would probably just move the fan over and leave the front wheel on but if he's gonna keep it how it is it seems like a good idea to affix one of these to the block, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Quick+Release+Fork+Mount+Bike+Block+135&i=sporting&ref=nb_sb_noss or get a pedestal fan so there's room for a fan and the front wheel.

The fourth one down is exactly what I have.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

spf3million posted:

Is there a device I can buy that will fill the bridge function my phone is currently doing?

I've got a cheap rear end kindle fire that I side loaded the companion app to. Works just fine. Share your profile so we can friend up!

As the above poster says, any device that supports bluetooth should be able to talk to the sensors. I do like having the tablet on my handlebars though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah! It opens straight into the companion app. Added!
Bonus, we're in similar performance ranges.

Hey, I've got a question. Am I giving thumbs up to people? I'm using the companion app and it has a button that'll audibly say "ride on". The interface will show thumbs on the rider list on the right, but I'm not sure the two are connected.

Also a quick tip, to stop a ride from the companion app you need to long press the orange stop button, a tap won't do.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 31, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I mean when on an actual ride. I know it works outside the game.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Zwift defaults to ERG mode for the FTP test (all training?) I ran the 45 minute FTP test which closely matched a recent standard ride where I had a good 20 minute effort in the middle.

Your equipment might have a surprisingly large variance in detected power, and 8 minutes is a very different test than 20. How does an outdoor test compensate for wind resistance?

Question for the pros: I feel like I'm just now getting strong enough to really push out of the saddle at around 600 watts. What kind of power are you generally pushing while off the seat? Any recommendations on techniques/best times to do so, etc?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
huh?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I bought a 20 dollar generic chest strap and was surprised by its utility and usability. It takes one button cell battery and seems to last for months. Just find something on Amazon.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Your personal bike? Make sure it's dry, leave your fan running. Make sure there is grease on moving parts. I guess I'm still not working hard enough that I'm soaking the thing.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My Lasko claims 3100 CFM at the low setting, so I guess I can't get the cooling of 20mph real world, but boy I sure do get a lot more CFM grinding up a steep hill!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I failed to get the GTAV mod working, but I definitely want to try again.

https://www.gta5-mods.com/scripts/gt-bike-v

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 6, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Zwift does have straight up timed training sessions. They take place in the virtual world, but it's just wallpaper compared to the resistance and pace settings. Of course, the text on the screen isn't as encouraging as a hot babe urging you on like Pelaton does.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Without the word Amazon being involved, please recommend a tablet for running zwift. Used, bad battery are both ok. Just want it to work reliably and smoothly.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I should have been more specific. I like to watch movies and shows on the tv in the room. That's why a tablet. What's an oldish ipad?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Can you believe that I still haven't gone over the handlebars of my stationary bike?! I've got my bike in a new setup, might just put that safety wheel back on it!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't sprint that hard and tilt my bike everywhere. I don't think I've really pushed more than 500 watts for any significant length of time. If you insist on swinging your bike around like that, shouldn't you get one of those tilting platforms?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'll post my power curve, sure. How?

Your bike is hopping? Is that on your upstroke and you're clipped in?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hm, body weight's a good point. I'm an enormous 80 kilos!

Asking again, what's a power curve?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty blind in one eye. Depending on how old you are and how much you try, you might be able to get comfortable with bike riding again. Most of the visual cues for bike riding aren't in the telescopic 3d range. Sorry it happened tho.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/free-use-mywhoosh-now-rival-zwift-298579

Anyone try this? I'm not a fan of ads, but zwift is kind of crappy.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/resigns-series-discontinued.html

Despite Zwift just announcing the new jointly-launched Wahoo KICKR CORE Zwift One trainer, this hasn’t been a strong week for Zwift as a company. In fact, it’s arguably been the worst week the company has had in its history, with the largest known layoff event at the company to date, eclipsing last year’s big layoff announcements with over 100 people laid off.

Atop that, Zwift’s co-CEO Kurt Beidler has resigned. He came from Amazon just over a year ago, and was said to be primarily focused on the business and day-to-day operations aspect of it. While co-founder and original CEO Eric Min would largely be focused on the bigger vision of investor relations and external partnerships (e.g., Tour de France, UCI, etc…). With the resignation, Eric will return to being the sole CEO.

And finally, adding injury to insult, Zwift has decided to discontinue the Zwift Hub smart trainers. This includes the just-launched Zwift Hub One with the Zwift Cog & Click. Albeit, the Cog & Click will live-on, being adapted to all Wahoo direct drive trainers made in the last 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I set my tablet to not rotate when it feels tilted and it's fine on handlebars.