Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
A question about the Zwift training plans. I've been working my way through the 4 week FTP booster plan. This is my first time doing any sort of structured training or using a power meter.

Before starting the plan, I did my first ever 20 min FTP test and have been using that setting for the training plan. My perception is that I should be very challenged with some of the intervals and workouts.

However, looking back at the last few workouts, I find that I am rarely getting above.Z3. The majority of the last few workouts (40/20's for example) are at Z2 (~60%) and Z3 (18-20%). I'm only getting to Z4 2-4% of the time.

Is this appropriate or should I be taking another FTP test to make sure I got it right the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

spf3million posted:

Since I am using an Apple TV, I think I have to use some sort of bridging device to connect the power, control, cadence, and HRM. I have been using my phone with the companion app and it was a little shaky on the initial connections, seemed to work ok once I got going. I am not a big fan of needing to use my phone for this, wondering if there is another way.

Is there a device I can buy that will fill the bridge function my phone is currently doing?

I just switched to pretty much the identical setup this week. AppleTV, Wahoo HRM, Kickr Core.

I didn’t need to use my phone to bridge the power, cadence or HRM sensors to connect to the AppleTV. Have you tried it without?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Can anyone provide comments on using a Peloton versus the alternative options for training?

I currently have a Wahoo Kickr. I’ve used both Zwift and Traineroad with decent outcomes. It’s served me well but the Mrs is now expressing interest in indoor training. I’m considering a Peloton.

My priorities are more towards training for gravel events, being able to drop friends on group rides etc. Nothing crazy serious. She’s more interested in general fitness.

Can anyone provide a view here? Can you get similar outcomes on a peloton versus the highly structured programs on Trainerroad?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm a runner, but my annual battle with impact-related injury has me considering cross-training on a bike. I have a $300 Diamondback front-suspension mountain bike I picked up a few years ago and I've considered picking up a cheap Saris/Cyclops Fluid trainer. How miserable am I likely to find this experience as someone just looking to hit a specific HR zone for a period of time?

I started with what you described and it didn’t work for me. It was indeed miserable.

Switching to a wheel off smart trainer + trainer road + seinfield on a separate monitor is a much better fit.