Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Even if I wanted to give that poo poo company money, which I don't, there's no way I'm going to pay to beta test the jank first year for them.
(I hope it's good for those of you jumping in of course. Have fun goons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Even if I wanted to give that poo poo company money, which I don't, there's no way I'm going to pay to beta test the jank first year for them.
(I hope it's good for those of you jumping in of course. Have fun goons.)

In my case, I've put WAAAY too much time, effort, and emotional investment into my private server. Unless I can 1 to 1 port it over(yeah right, like that will ever be possible), then no I'm not interested.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I lol'd at the rocket to the beach bob's house.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Ark Survival Ascended posted:

ARK: Survival Ascended includes access to all of ARK’s worlds, including Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction, ARK Genesis Part 1, ARK Genesis Part 2, and more. The Island is released now, with the subsequent expansion worlds to be added at no additional cost on a regular basis.

Well, at least it's a one and done purchase, rather than buying the DLC.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tsilkani posted:

Well, at least it's a one and done purchase, rather than buying the DLC.

As someone who was there for Scorched Earth's release, I don't trust a goddamn word out of Wildcard's mouth when it comes to monetization.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
IDGI what's the difference between Evolved and Ascended?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

ARK: Survival Evolved is the original game that we knew and loved/tolerated. ARK 2 was announced, and was supposed to come out this year. To drive up hype, we were going to get a remaster of ARK 1 from unreal engine 4 to 5 in the form of ARK: Survival Ascended for free!

ARK 2 isn't coming out on time. So it goes. That's OK, we're getting Survival Ascended. Except it's not free. Looks like it's 44 bucks on steam. The price includes all of the DLC, none of which is actually released yet. And they shut down all of the public servers for Survival Evolved.

So instead of a sequel, we get the opportunity to buy the first game again :lol:

Survival Evolved had some good and useful mods on the steam workshop. Survival Ascended won't have steam workshop, but they're teaming up with CurseForge for some alternative.

I haven't followed it closely, but I know there's all kinds of other drama and dumb stuff mixed in. Sounds like it's going to split the modding community, if there continues to be one. That's a bummer.

EDIT: and of course it'll wreck any community that was on public servers

EDIT EDIT: Honestly I kinda look forward to the end of official support for a game, because a stable version means mods won't keep breaking every time I come back to play. Ending the servers was a royally lovely move, though.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I bought the game and am playing it for the next 2 hours to see if it is worth keeping or refunding. Keep in my, I only play Ark in singleplayer. The best part of the game for me is just making my own Jurassic Park with dino breeding + exploring. I have never played multiplayer, and given the horror stories I've read, never intend to.

With that said, here's a few things about the game I've found so far for other dummies like me considering purchasing an early access remaster of a 7 year old game:

The game runs like rear end. Shocking, right? If you do not have a 4 series card, please do not even think about purchasing this game. DLSS with frame generation is a must. I have a 4070 and went from 40fps to 70fps with the option turned on.

Lighting is kind of all over the place. In some cases, it looks gorgeous, in others it looks like an acid trip.

Baby dinos are cute and can be found everywhere.

The floor foliage in the forests is absolutely insane. I have never seen a game with this amount of neck-high grass and bushes. For me, it is really immersive walking around not knowing what's around me. For multiplayer folks, I imagine it will be a nightmare and most will turn down the setting.

Most of the dinos have not received any new models and appear kind of goofy in the hyper-realistic lighting/shadows. They really need a full revamp of all the models.

The game does look like the trailer, in some places....

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 27, 2023