Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

seance snacks posted:

Started up a server with some friends recently. Currently have Aberration and Lost Island in the cluster and looking forward to this new Fjordur or whatever norse style DLC they're releasing soon

Aberration:
108.4.0.223:27017

LostIsland:
108.4.0.223:27015

Keeping mods minimal because it's only a matter of time until one breaks the save. Only have Structures+ and tbh I may remove it after shoddy update earlier today. (Server lost connection to steam and got out of synch...)

Most settings are default. 2x taming/experience/baby makin' because we have lives and we like goals to be attainable within a reasonable evening window.

If this is running in a couple weeks when my replacement cpu shows up I'll jump in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Just added the new Fjordur map to the cluster at 108.4.0.223:27021

And I think I saw on Steam that they're letting folks claim ARK for free right now?

I imagine it's part of them announcing ARK 2, which looks good from the notes so far

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Decided to try this out since it's free. The graphics were hella messed up and stretched until I restarted. Then I walked around a beach and found some turtle looking things that were walking in circles. After about a minute the game told me I had levelled up in giant green block letters.

What's the deal with this game? I'll be honest I came in expecting AAA co-op Horizon Zero Dawn with survival elements but from the screenshots but it feels like old school eurojank so far.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 14, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Decided to try this out since it's free. The graphics were hella messed up and stretched until I restarted. Then I walked around a beach and found some turtle looking things that were walking in circles. After about a minute the game told me I had levelled up in giant green block letters.

What's the deal with this game? I'll be honest I came in expecting AAA co-op Horizon Zero Dawn with survival elements but from the screenshots but it feels like old school eurojank so far.

It's very much jank and very little like Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's closer to Conan Exiles (which is arguably an ARK clone but whatever) or Minecraft than H:ZD.

e: Think Minecraft except with dinos, you riding dinos, some mechs and FPS guns.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 14, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's very, very jank.

You gain XP from harvesting, crafting, killing things, and also a slow drip passively overtime. The game is extremely pretty, but also not optimized in the slightest and is stuffed to the gills with bugs. It's also extremely grindy if you're playing on a public server that doesn't have rates increased. Raising certain creatures, for example, can require near constant attention for 8 hours for some of the babies.

It's a game you play for a certain niche. There are pretty good mods out there adding new structures, clothes, and creatures. You can also customize rates in server configs to tailor the vanilla experience to exactly what you and your friends are interested in. The previous server I played on had craftable NPC-style items that could handle things like feeding creature babies for you that needed a specific resource like Mead for fuel.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Warmachine posted:

You gain XP from harvesting, crafting, killing things, and also a slow drip passively overtime. The game is extremely pretty, but also not optimized in the slightest and is stuffed to the gills with bugs. It's also extremely grindy if you're playing on a public server that doesn't have rates increased. Raising certain creatures, for example, can require near constant attention for 8 hours for some of the babies.

Worth noting you can turn this down to 2 minutes - or even few seconds for that matter - in the server configs pretty easily. Just about all the grind can be taken out by changing the config files (and then reintroduced with mods but that's how it goes).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I was expecting something totally different but I also hadn't read anything about it and just saw some cool pictures of dinosaurs :v:

So if I'm mainly interested in exploring and occasionally building cool stuff is Ark going to work? And if so, are there any particular settings/mods/maps I should choose.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

So if I'm mainly interested in exploring and occasionally building cool stuff is Ark going to work?

It's really good for that yeah, albeit it is a bit empty if you're playing alone - though there's a few dungeons caves that are pretty cool and there are collectibles across all the maps. There's some mods which add humans or RPG-style dino tiers which can help.

All the default maps are very good, there's some you can download as free DLC as well which are also really neat to explore. You can transfer your character between them (there are mods which make it a bit more seamless to do so, but they aren't really necessary).

I haven't actually played in a while, but I liked using ARK Omega for my big grindy mod along with a bunch of smaller QoL ones - bigger stacks, advanced spyglass, tombstones and dino storage system are four of the biggest ones. Omega is probably not that great for a first experience though, it really changes the game and makes it even more janky and deadly.

e: Teleporters mod helps a lot in SP/co-op too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 14, 2022

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

It’s kind of fun to build a base in a nice scenic spot and collect all the pokemon dinosaurs. With the right settings so it’s not a huge grind at least. There’s a guy on YouTube phlinger phoo or something that makes a video about his settings before each play through. I copied his settings once and had fun with it for a bit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You can also get deep into the weeds with breeding dinosaurs to try and get a stat-perfect dinosaur. There's tons of stuff written on the internet about how dino breeding works, and tools to help you keep track of your weird dinosaur fuckzoo.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Yeah the way to enjoy this game in 2022 is to build vibes. Like everything you build or tame should be a part of your vibe cultivation strategy.
For all the games jank it is crazy satisfying to make a handsome base in a pretty location. The game is like stardew valley to me at this point except my wife is a gigantic predatory bird.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've added Dino Storage v2 and built a soul terminal but I can't work out how breeding works. Do dinos in the terminal not breed and I have to take them out? I also have enabled the Newborn Auto Trap and it says it needs soul balls but I put like 50 in there already. Does it not work if you have the terminal doing other things i.e. are you meant to only have 1 kind of automation happening?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a mod or preset for enjoying this without the grind? Played it a few years ago but lost interest when i found out you have to bring like 20 trexes bred for supremacy to do any bosses or whatever which kinda killed my motivation to progress (coupled with the grind).

I just wanna have a dino (or couple) of each type as I progress to grabbing newer pokemon up to the bosses, making some cool bases along the way.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there a mod or preset for enjoying this without the grind? Played it a few years ago but lost interest when i found out you have to bring like 20 trexes bred for supremacy to do any bosses or whatever which kinda killed my motivation to progress (coupled with the grind).

I just wanna have a dino (or couple) of each type as I progress to grabbing newer pokemon up to the bosses, making some cool bases along the way.

You can just change the settings when setting up a server, up the dino levels, increase gather, tame and breed speed etc.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

What part of the grind is the worst for you?

"Best Egg" removes RNG from breeding completely. You can also use the console to imprint/speed up growth, removing much of the grind from breeding.
"Upgrade My Dino" helps improve your tames and add mutations instead of searching for perfect ones, at the cost of resources.
"Upgrade Station" significantly reduces equipment RNG, at the cost of resources.
Any stacking mod, and significantly increasing the weight multiplier setting for dinos and player, makes resource gathering much much easier.
"Dino Storage" makes managing a bunch of dinos a lot easier.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

esquilax posted:

What part of the grind is the worst for you?

"Best Egg" removes RNG from breeding completely. You can also use the console to imprint/speed up growth, removing much of the grind from breeding.
"Upgrade My Dino" helps improve your tames and add mutations instead of searching for perfect ones, at the cost of resources.
"Upgrade Station" significantly reduces equipment RNG, at the cost of resources.
Any stacking mod, and significantly increasing the weight multiplier setting for dinos and player, makes resource gathering much much easier.
"Dino Storage" makes managing a bunch of dinos a lot easier.

I can back Upgrade Station and Dino Storage. Both are borderline gamebreaking with how useful they are.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mr. Crow posted:

Use the individual settings to increase gathering rates on the server ini. Using the globals can cause a lot of lag.

If you are single player/local: ignore this advice.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKFJfqfOyz4

Lol, I went exploring an ice cave I came across with my otter to keep me warm and I guess I slipped and fell into a void. RIP my otter.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 2, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

nexus6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKFJfqfOyz4

Lol, I went exploring an ice cave I came across with my otter to keep me warm and I guess I slipped and fell into a void. RIP my otter.

Ya either this or his other one + this one that patches the bosses look perfect in conjuction with some pf the other listed mods

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2uw_94fVJo&t=0s

Thanks!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, resurrection of an old thread I guess.

New trailer for that animated series they announced a few years ago. Has Russell Crowe and Vin Diesel as both executive producers and the voice of a character.

https://youtu.be/mMTbYmS5o_Y

Seems fairly on point to the game at least..

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Friendly reminder that Ark has now launched on the switch too :sun:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Salisbury Snape posted:

Friendly reminder that Ark has now launched on the switch too :sun:
How did they manage to optimize this for the switch? Does it still take up hundreds of gigs?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've got less than 5h playtime across my single player save and my daughter's, it's using 9.1gb so far lol

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Also only has The Island and Scorched earth available so far. It's probably still going to require it's own memory card

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Salisbury Snape posted:

Also only has The Island and Scorched earth available so far. It's probably still going to require it's own memory card

Yeah, each map is huge. Having all of the maps installed is north of 200GB.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JuffoWup posted:

New trailer for that animated series they announced a few years ago. Has Russell Crowe and Vin Diesel as both executive producers and the voice of a character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTbYmS5o_Y
Looking good I'd say

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

JuffoWup posted:

Well, resurrection of an old thread I guess.

https://youtu.be/mMTbYmS5o_Y

Seems fairly on point to the game at least..

Honestly, not at all in the slightest in my opinion. It feels like one of those very loose manga adaptions of various Zelda games or JRPG's in that the main beats are the same, but drat near everything else is entirely different.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/04/02/ark-2-is-delayed-and-ark-1-is-being-killed-unless-you-buy-a-remaster

Starting to rethink my plan to shotgun marry Vin Diesel

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I can't believe the game that started producing and selling expansion content while it was in early access would do this sort of thi

quote:

It’s not as if Ark was terribly beloved for some of their decisions before this, including releasing the aforementioned $20 DLC for a game that was supposedly in “Early Access,” but this is a new level.
right yeah what they said.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
From everything that I've heard of him, this should have been expected the instant Jeremy Stiegletz came back. In any case, this is going to be a MASSIVE clusterfuck in no small part due to the modding situation and how that gets shuffled out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The reaction would probably be less angry if there hadn't been a tweet from Stiegletz promising the UE5 version would be free as recently as the end of January.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kanos posted:

The reaction would probably be less angry if there hadn't been a tweet from Stiegletz promising the UE5 version would be free as recently as the end of January.

Yeah that was a thing. Even then I knew there was gonna be a catch of some kind.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Genesis part 2 has been around for what, 1.5 years? Season pass indeed LMBO.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Steve from the Nooblets channel has made a video explaining the current situation. Bullshit filter included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6aTQBpCyI

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
I think the charging for DLC part is what really annoys me. I don't mind paying for the UE5 ver since you get Ark 2 with it, but charging for the DLC again is just balsy greed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lord Booga posted:

I think the charging for DLC part is what really annoys me. I don't mind paying for the UE5 ver since you get Ark 2 with it, but charging for the DLC again is just balsy greed.

Like Nooblets said though, charging SOMETHING for the upgrade isn't bad per se if it was reasonable. Like paying $20 to $30 and being able to transfer all of my poo poo would be amazing...but that's not what's happening here. It's too sight unseen for something we know next to nothing about both in terms of ARK Ascended and ARK 2 on top of being asked to pay TWICE for everything.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Please give $89.97 to the Wildcard UE5 Scholarship Fund

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRAfGs4xlqs

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
This game on any pvp server is absolutely hilarious. I have been playing their conquest mode and the following has happened.

-Server being ddosed continously
-Leaders home internet being ddos'd, 2 modems fried
-servers being botcapped repeatedly
-accounts being spoofed to popcorn admin rooms
-Spoofed to delete characters
-Aimbotted
-Servers crashed repeatedly
-Streamers playing in cheater tribes with HWID banned players making videos claiming they were innocent while being involved in all this
-20 members being personally ddos'd during a raid
-spoofed again to popcorn cryofridges
-multiple peoples characters being deleted after logging off for the night, authentication not possible on multiple servers after

Yeah don't play this game, it's full of cheaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Simon Numbers posted:

This game on any pvp server is absolutely hilarious. I have been playing their conquest mode and the following has happened.

-Server being ddosed continously
-Leaders home internet being ddos'd, 2 modems fried
-servers being botcapped repeatedly
-accounts being spoofed to popcorn admin rooms
-Spoofed to delete characters
-Aimbotted
-Servers crashed repeatedly
-Streamers playing in cheater tribes with HWID banned players making videos claiming they were innocent while being involved in all this
-20 members being personally ddos'd during a raid
-spoofed again to popcorn cryofridges
-multiple peoples characters being deleted after logging off for the night, authentication not possible on multiple servers after

Yeah don't play this game, it's full of cheaters.

Big-name multi-server tribe PVP in this game is an amazing dumpsterfire of bullshit. I'd be interested to learn more about the character spoofing, as that's a pretty sophisticated attack to pull off vs. 50 bootleg key reseller aimbot accounts logging in to fill server slots (as is tradition).