Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm new to pannier bags, but must-haves for me was it being waterproof and easily attached/detached and I wanted something good so I went with a Vaude. The roll-to-close mechanism is a bit clunky, but the clips that hook to the rack are really good. As a shoulder bag it's pretty lovely and uncomfortable but mainly I'll use it to carry clothes and such to and from work and I think it will be great for that. For heavy grocery hauling I have the the bakfiets so one bag will do I think. Also the lock is in the way for a second bag, there was no other good place to mount it really, also it's good for balance where it sits now.

I got to try the e-commuter MTB in snow (slush really) sooner than I wanted. I had hoped for bare ground until spring but nature had different plans. I saw last night's snow storm coming in time to order a set of winter tires. They're "only" 50mm wide but that was the widest winter marathon pluses available in 622, and I like and trust those so that's what I bought. They'll probably stay on until there's little risk of night frost anymore, so probably mid April or so. I really like how this bike handles snow, and the fenders work well which is nice.

I also added a kickstand and wired up the lights and tidied up all of the other cables at the same time, and apart from the headlight bracket which is shameful and temporary and untested in darkness and some screws that are too long or not stainless yet I think this bike is pretty much done. Except for a spiffy chain guard on the way from China. And whatever else I haven't thought of yet. So far I'm happy with it on the whole, it's more or less exactly what I want for light load commuting I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Invalido posted:

must-haves for me was it being waterproof

Mine is generously treated with fabric wax, but it's more like "heavily water resistant" than actually waterproof. For that you have to go with plastic/rubber.

E: VVVV I have a bike trailer as well. Between that, the front basket and the pannier bags, I would have to go to an actual cargo bike for more carrying capacity.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 12, 2021

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I outgrew panniers for groceries a while back and bought a cargo trailer. I knew it was time when I had to tie a reusable grocery bag to the side of the panniers to get all my poo poo home one time.

It's legit one of the best things I've ever bought tho.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

KozmoNaut posted:

Mine is generously treated with fabric wax, but it's more like "heavily water resistant" than actually waterproof. For that you have to go with plastic/rubber.
Ya that red bag is all plastic-rubbery tarpaulin-like. We'll see how good it is when it rains hard but I'm hopeful.

leftist heap posted:

I outgrew panniers for groceries a while back and bought a cargo trailer. I knew it was time when I had to tie a reusable grocery bag to the side of the panniers to get all my poo poo home one time.

It's legit one of the best things I've ever bought tho.
For real. I bought the bakfiets about 10 years ago and retired my lovely trailer but regardless of how you go about it having cargo capacity on a bike brings not only massive utility but for me at least it gives me what I can only describe as joy. I love hauling my kids (they're getting big though, we'll see how long it lasts before it gets too embarrassing for them) or groceries or garbage or just whatever. Last evening I went and picked up my oldest from a friend since the weather was gnarly. I had a smile on my face. Had I gone with the car I know I would have been more annoyed and less happy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Al2001 posted:

I looked it up and you're right, the posture is not quite omafiets-level. (most Dutch bikes have gears tho)

I have a bloody stupid question that Google has no answer for, this is the exact shape of my bike, only mine has a wheel lock on it. Insurance needs me to use a gold + U lock (which I have), there is no way it will go through the front tire or rear wheel and the frame. Where the blue hell do you put the U lock?

Edit: I’ve been riding bikes my whole life but never had to lock up a step through

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 13, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Can you put it through the seat stays and the rear wheel?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
You put it through the rear wheel inside the rear triangle. https://sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My issue is the hardware, the question is slightly less dumb if I post an actual picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

heck yes

seat tube and pole or rear wheel under the skirt guard and pole.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ok good, thank you :) my brain is so used to locking exactly where all that hardware is I thought it was best to check I wasn’t going to do something incredibly stupid.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

People love to backseat everyone but reasonably as long as the U-lock is reasonably short and you lock through a closed loop on the frame you'll be fine.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Are you worried about securing the wheel as well as the frame with the U-lock? You can just use the wheel lock, and even if you don't, removing the back wheel it is a pain in the arse with these bikes; I can't think of a single reason a thief would bother. Tether for the front wheel maybe? (might be overkill depending on your area.)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m going to go seat tube for the U lock because there is less in the way, front wheel is getting combination lock chained to the bike or railing separately because that’s where the motor is. It’s fully insured against theft, accident or vandalism, so this is really about heading off the insurance company going “well actually” at me - If I’m honest my usual policy is U lock and wiring my janky old ridgeback hybrid with it’s pink and mud panniers next to a much nicer bike, and now I have the bike worth stealing I’m over thinking things.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

learnincurve posted:

I’m going to go seat tube for the U lock because there is less in the way, front wheel is getting combination lock chained to the bike or railing separately because that’s where the motor is. It’s fully insured against theft, accident or vandalism, so this is really about heading off the insurance company going “well actually” at me - If I’m honest my usual policy is U lock and wiring my janky old ridgeback hybrid with it’s pink and mud panniers next to a much nicer bike, and now I have the bike worth stealing I’m over thinking things.

Totally understandable. There's no bike-theft peace-of-mind like having an old junker with a 100% track record of being invisible to thieves :hfive:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I did that thing in 2014 where I went “Well I’ll save £1300 a year on bus fare so if I buy this £200 second hand hybrid I’ll be in profit in 3 months and save for a nice bike” and then never actually saved for the nice bike. Bought the electric bike to finally retire it and learned a absolute lesson in hubris because I went “finally I can get decent strava segments times ha ha ha!” and 2015 year old me at my fittest and on that janky hybrid is still kicking my arse

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

2015 year old me at my fittest and on that janky hybrid is still kicking my arse
LMBO

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I use a road bike to get around the city (a Giant Contend 3 with 32c wheels fwiw), and I'm looking to get some kind of bike-bag solution so I don't have to wear a backpack every time I ride. Currently, I'm wondering if I should cop like a chrome handlebar bag or get a rack for the rear wheel (could this double as a fender? I've been meaning to get one for inclimate rides) and attach my backpack to it. The kryptonite lock rattles horribly in its mount, so I've been throwing it in a bag, which works fine with a backpack, but I'm nervous about wearing it directly against my spine or hips when using a cross-body bag or hip bag in the event of an accident.

Would keeping the lock (plus a few snacks, a tube, a tool, etc) in a handlebar bag affect the handling much? Freeing up movement ease and agility is the name of the game.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Head Bee Guy posted:

I use a road bike to get around the city (a Giant Contend 3 with 32c wheels fwiw), and I'm looking to get some kind of bike-bag solution so I don't have to wear a backpack every time I ride. Currently, I'm wondering if I should cop like a chrome handlebar bag or get a rack for the rear wheel (could this double as a fender? I've been meaning to get one for inclimate rides) and attach my backpack to it. The kryptonite lock rattles horribly in its mount, so I've been throwing it in a bag, which works fine with a backpack, but I'm nervous about wearing it directly against my spine or hips when using a cross-body bag or hip bag in the event of an accident.

Would keeping the lock (plus a few snacks, a tube, a tool, etc) in a handlebar bag affect the handling much? Freeing up movement ease and agility is the name of the game.

I think a burrito-style handlebar bag wouldn't accomodate this well, but something like the Swift Paloma bag (https://builtbyswift.com/shop/paloma-handlebar-bag-2021/) that attaches via a klickfix to the handlebars would be the ticket for your described use. It has a 15lb weight limit, which, if fully loaded up, might impact the handling a bit, but it's such a convenient setup it's likely worth any handling issue.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I wondered about the Klickfix system for a while, can it really hold 15lbs in place? Does it work well? The idea of having a klickfix handlebar mount on several bikes and then be able to freely switch different bags and baskets between them is appealing, but the mounting system looks so flimsy and plastic-y.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

learnincurve posted:

2015 year old me at my fittest and on that janky hybrid is still kicking my arse

Same for me. Past me's youth and spare time beats hardware any day of the week. My road bike has less miles on it than the lovely hybrid I had before, which got less miles than my grandfather's old '72 no-gears old man bike, despite having each for about as many years, because when I had that bike I lived at home and (barely) studied. Now I have like, obligations, and a home to take care of. Good bikes are more fun, but they don't create time unfortunately

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Al2001 posted:

Totally understandable. There's no bike-theft peace-of-mind like having an old junker with a 100% track record of being invisible to thieves :hfive:

yeah. there is no lock in the world more effective than riding a shittier bike than everyone else around you.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My favourite “gently caress I’m old” thing is from this year.

My 17 year old daughter is switching schools and it’s a glorious commute entirely off road along a National cycle path - the idea of getting to keep the £8 a week the government gives her in cash for the bus made her ask for a bike for her birthday (She’s tiny so got her a 14” mountain bike), which is funny because she has always refused to even learn to ride before. The deal was that “I have to learn to ride on my own, I can learn how off ebay, muuuum you are not allowed to watch me just go away!” so I showed her how to scoot along and just left her to it.

She makes it home in 3 hours and says “I can ride now I’m not very good though”, next day I say let’s go out together and she says “I’m not very good, don’t laugh at me, don’t go faster than me, don’t laugh at me”

We go to the cycle path and the kid immediately took off like a loving rocket for 12 miles while yelling back to me “I know I’m not very gooood!” as I was desperately peddling behind her and trying not to collapse and die.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol your kid trolled the poo poo out of you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

learnincurve posted:

We go to the cycle path and the kid immediately took off like a loving rocket for 12 miles while yelling back to me “I know I’m not very gooood!” as I was desperately peddling behind her and trying not to collapse and die.
LMBO welcome to the club gramps.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

learnincurve posted:

My 17 year old daughter is switching schools and it’s a glorious commute entirely off road along a National cycle path - the idea of getting to keep the £8 a week the government gives her in cash for the bus made her ask for a bike for her birthday (She’s tiny so got her a 14” mountain bike), which is funny because she has always refused to even learn to ride before. The deal was that “I have to learn to ride on my own, I can learn how off ebay, muuuum you are not allowed to watch me just go away!” so I showed her how to scoot along and just left her to it.

She makes it home in 3 hours and says “I can ride now I’m not very good though”, next day I say let’s go out together and she says “I’m not very good, don’t laugh at me, don’t go faster than me, don’t laugh at me”

This fuckin owns

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

learnincurve posted:

"gently caress I'm old" is also mixing up ebay and youtube.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was totally not looking at the ebike I bought off of EBay to keep up with her when I posted that lol

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Another win for being a bike commuter: your car can get vandalized over the weekend and not totally gently caress you over because you can still get to work. (although the 2ft of snow we got on Sunday made it a bit less fun)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Head Bee Guy posted:

a rack for the rear wheel (could this double as a fender? I've been meaning to get one for inclimate rides) and attach my backpack to it.
Dunno about any specific bags or racks or whatever, but this is what I've been doing for a few weeks. I had been holding out for a vaguely-described combination mudguard and rack for my hardtail MTB that was "on backorder" at the LBS where I bought my bike. A month after they said "it should be here soon" I just went in and bought a standard, no-frills rack; it didn't even come with instructions, I just intuited the mounting and I guess I got it close enough, it's solid and isn't interferring with anything. I had been using my (quite small) backpack, and now I just strap it to the top of the rack with some cheap friction straps (like ratchet straps, but the mechanism is just a toothed spring-pinch grip thing) and some small bungie cords I got at the local hardware store (there was a picture of a bicycle on the packaging, that's how I know they're for me).

I sometimes ride my MTB on the trails around here and the solid metal plate on the top of the rack does a good-enough job of keeping the mud and water off of my back. I had a duffle bag or overnight bag (whatever you want to call it, it's rectangular and has two small handles plus a detachable longer shoulder strap) that I'd picked up at a thrift store and I use that for larger loads, like bringing home some beer on Friday afternoons. My U-lock still lives in my backpack (it fits nicely in the water-bladder holder) and the straps are a good length - 1 metre.

New rack on my bike by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Bike rack by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Bike rack by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I moved the rear light to another part of the frame where it's actually visible when I'm carrying more than my empty, collapsed backpack.

EDIT: I want proper panniers that hang down the sides, a full load on top of the rack makes the bike a bit unstable when I'm not riding it. It's fine once I'm moving, but it really wants to fall over when I'm trying to lock/unlock it or walk it around. Plus I have to swing my leg extra-high over the load to get on.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 17, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is that a cygolite? They make a rack adapter that is nice.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-...YsaAgHjEALw_wcB

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

:perfect:

My wife gets dusted by my son atm and he's only 8. I'm hoping I have 5-6 more years of superiority but more of that depends on me than him I suppose.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is that a cygolite? They make a rack adapter that is nice.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-...YsaAgHjEALw_wcB

Mine is not. Mine is the 2nd-cheapest USB-rechargeable rear light I could find at KMart 6 months ago. The front light is now an Amazon special after my KMart front light got wet and went bonkers (randomly on and off, button does nothing).

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
speaking of racks, anyone have a brand/model recommendation for a rear rack, 700c tires. Wife's bike already has fenders on it so I was looking for something simple and light as possible and I think this fits the bill: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=55113&category=3538

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mauser posted:

speaking of racks, anyone have a brand/model recommendation for a rear rack, 700c tires. Wife's bike already has fenders on it so I was looking for something simple and light as possible and I think this fits the bill: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=55113&category=3538

If you actually want as light as possible, the titanium tubus is probably the ticket. Either the Airy or Logo depending on how much heel strike is an issue.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In between in price is the Tubus Fly Evo:
https://www.tubus.com/en/products/rear-carriers/tubus-product/fly-evo
~$100 and 1lb instead of 0.4. And it's only rated for 44lbs, which I think wouldn't be a problem in most cases.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Thanks for the recommendations. I think my find is gonna be light enough for half the price. She doesn't ride enough for me to want to spend the extra money!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dude oh god please no! Don’t do the “well she doesn’t ride as much as me therefore she can have worse/heavier equipment” thing, this is not a thing you should be saying in your outside voice because there might be a weird militant lesbian perfectly happy to launch into a feminist lecture at you about (hello).

The main reason women don’t ride as much is because men take it upon themselves to buy equipment for them, and then cheap out, the woman loses interest as the husband zooms off on a £2k carbon bike while they are struggling behind on the second worst bike in Halfords because “I’m not wasting money on something she may not use” he says as he wonders if he would gain a slight advantage by switching the £35 a pop tyres for the £45 a pop tyres.

My winter MTB junker was bought from a dude who told me there is nothing wrong with it, she didn’t like it, it’s only been ridden twice. No nut was tight, including the wheels, the fork was on backwards and he had rewired all the brake cables to stop them rubbing on the front wheel. The biggest shock to me was that he had convinced a woman to get on it a second time.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Is there anything like a good guide to rear racks? It's one of those things that everytime I buy one, a find a bunch of different designs, all capable of 44lbs, with more or less tubes, about the same weight, and anywhere from $30-$100. I have no idea why any of them are better than the other.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Is there anything like a good guide to rear racks? It's one of those things that everytime I buy one, a find a bunch of different designs, all capable of 44lbs, with more or less tubes, about the same weight, and anywhere from $30-$100. I have no idea why any of them are better than the other.

I would only go to 44lbs on the nicer ones. They also tend to be easier to affix to the frame securely. A heavy load on a cheap rack makes the bike ride really miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Dude oh god please no! Don’t do the “well she doesn’t ride as much as me therefore she can have worse/heavier equipment” thing, this is not a thing you should be saying in your outside voice because there might be a weird militant lesbian perfectly happy to launch into a feminist lecture at you about (hello).

The main reason women don’t ride as much is because men take it upon themselves to buy equipment for them, and then cheap out, the woman loses interest as the husband zooms off on a £2k carbon bike while they are struggling behind on the second worst bike in Halfords because “I’m not wasting money on something she may not use” he says as he wonders if he would gain a slight advantage by switching the £35 a pop tyres for the £45 a pop tyres.

My winter MTB junker was bought from a dude who told me there is nothing wrong with it, she didn’t like it, it’s only been ridden twice. No nut was tight, including the wheels, the fork was on backwards and he had rewired all the brake cables to stop them rubbing on the front wheel. The biggest shock to me was that he had convinced a woman to get on it a second time.

I get what you're saying, but she uses her basket for groceries and this thing is probably going on my commuter after/in between camping trips because it's way lighter than my commuter's current rack. It's also the same amount of money I spent on a rear rack for one of mine, so the other options would be more money than I spent on myself. Additionally, I think it's very valid to consider cost in, of all places, the commuter thread.

For some context: she doesn't ride her bike very much because she prefers running and has complained of knee problems while pedaling in the past. I've adjusted her seat for her and we've done a bit of roller blading, which she says strengthens her knee, and some multi-hour rides where she's set the pace. No knee issues for the moment, and she's now been suggesting going by bike to places where I would normally go by bike and her by car. She wants to go bike packing with me and some friends so this was what convinced her to pick it up again for the first time in at least a year in order to start training.