Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I’ve bike commuted a few times in the last ten years, but a recent move to Halifax and the amazing weather and increased cost of driving drove my wife and me to use the bikes for commuting at all times.

There was no work so we moved to Edmonton and sold our car and now we just bike + rideshare for all our transportation needs. The rideshare works out to be like 1-3 hours a month so it’s a lot of bike riding and there are no hills so that’s fine and cool and easy. Sometimes I run sprints out of the river valley just so I’m not rendered totally impotent by the flatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a mount that can attach a U-lock to a rack?

There’s this two-fish Velcro thing that I’m tempted to just make with webbing myself because come on $30?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32811840685.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32995956761.html

Bike LED flashlight strap mount torch fixed clip bicycle helmet gun lock block holder universal

Thanks! Just noticed that these and the twofish one have these like, plastic tube mounty things that will leave it rattling around on my rack like mad. Back to the drawing board I guess. :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

Are you talking about the strap buckle? The block itself is made of rubber so as long as it's tightened down on something there shouldn't be any rattling.

Yeah I was thinking about the block. Thanks, I'll order some!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Entropist posted:

I'm sorry for those people who fell for that stuff. If that is true, please stop indoctrinating more nerds.

Gotta go fast? No, the cult of time attack advocated in this thread is not the only way! Have a look how it's done in the only country where bike commuting is a normal and widespread practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hc1Ulwkew

I don't gotta do poo poo. I like going fast.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Entropist posted:

After coming home I stretch my arm towards the beer bottle and deadlift it to my face.

The more bike commuting is made to look like a sport that requires stuff like stretching and special gear, the less appealing it becomes to the vast majority of the population. I would say that if you commute like it's a race or cardio session, then you follow the stretching advice from the bike racing threads in the exercise forum, and in other cases, you do the same stretches as those you do before you walk to the bus stop, i.e. none.

I choose.. the worst combination of these things.

Thanks though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it common for tour bikes to have flat bars like that?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

That's the European style. British and American is drop bars.

That’s interesting. Is there much discussion or anything about why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Did something I should have thought of long ago:

The edges of the leg guards were catching on my heels, forcing me to horse ride the pedals a bit.

What is this plastic thing? Should I also have one???