Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

So after ordering my bike back in April, shipping being delayed a month due to covid, shipping being delayed again due to weather, UPS losing the package, re-ordering it, and waiting 2 more months because the bike was back ordered, I finally have my new commuter!

Having never ridden anything other than cheap walmart bikes my whole life I never knew a ride could be so good. I love the belt drive, shifting is smooth as butter, and it is quite the looker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

aldantefax posted:

I also started using Komoot to try and look for quieter roads but I think it's not super popular in Austin. I'll have to be the one making all the highlights over here!

I had never heard of Komoot before. I checked for a route for my regular commute and it actually found a path that pretty much keeps me off the main road! It does seem to be pretty hit or miss though; I tried getting a new route to this awesome burger place and it told me to ignore the bike paths and cut straight through a naval base.
And it looks like Strava's route planner is a paid feature now :smith:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not to derail, but Norco is also a very commonly prescribed opioid (hydrocodone) in the US, and it weirds me out when I hear the word used outside of that context whether for bikes or anything else. There's a North Coventry township close to me so I see it used by businesses as a portmanteau all the time and it's still weird.

Norco is also a city in California.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I got one of these Delta Cycle racks for my apartment since it doesn't require drilling and it works surprisingly well. Keeps the bike off the ground, takes up very little space, and looks pretty good.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

There's a main road where I live where the city removed all the parking spots and put in a bike lane instead, which is great for me and awful for the multitude of cars that were always parked there 24/7. The weird thing is in a few of the intersections they put signs and painted symbols saying bikes going straight should go through in the dedicated right turn lane:

Now getting in a right turn lane when I don't intend to go right seems inherently dangerous, and going into that lane when the light is red would make it almost impossible for any cars actually going right to make the turn safely. I'm inclined to ignore these signs/symbols and go into the right most (straight) lane for these intersections like I was doing before the bike lanes were put in, but I'm not sure what the best option actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

abraham linksys posted:

I've been Citi Biking around NYC for the past three weeks - first time on a bike in, idk, 15 years? - and really enjoying it. Now I'm out of my free trial and debating between coughing up $185 for a year of Citi Bike or just going ahead and buying a bike.

NYC has a plethora of local bike shops, but it seems like none of them have, like, accurate online inventory, and it's really hard to tell which stores actually carry the brands I'm interested in. I thought about buying used on Craigslist or whatever, but being a novice, I feel like it'd be pretty easy for me to get scammed, plus a lot of bikes are going for basically the same cost they were new, and without a transferable warranty that seems like a bad deal!

I was looking at a Brilliant Cooper (https://www.brilliant.co/collections/bicycles/products/cooper?variant=28827810562125), which ships fast and seems easy to self-assemble. Now, all of these things say "after assembling this, take it to a bike shop to get it checked out before riding." Is this... one of those things they put up for legal reasons but most people probably don't do? Seems weird to walk into a bike shop and be like "hey can you tell me if I hosed this up?" Like what do you even pay for that?

I don't mind the idea of paying for someone to assemble it just to make sure I don't kill myself forgetting to tighten some nuts or whatever, just kind of miffed about the lead times (ordering through Brilliant gives a bunch of local assembly options but they all are like two or so weeks away).

Also if there's anything else in this like $500-1000 range that I should be looking for, especially something that I can get in NYC, happily taking alternative suggestions.

I bought a Brilliant L-Train awhile back and really like it. You really shouldn't be worried about assembly at all; the assembly video they provide covers every step including opening the box the bike ships in, they include just about every tool you're going to need, and they include a little bottle of touch up paint incase you scratch anything. You can always get it checked out at a bike shop after it's built, but there are really no steps that are particularly difficult and the complicated parts like the rear wheel come already put together and on the frame. I would recommend getting the tension gauge though, makes adjusting the belt so much easier.

Their customer service is also really good. When I was trying to order they didn't have the color/size combo I wanted on the dropdown so I emailed them and within 30 minutes them they had the site fixed and gave me a coupon code for free shipping. I've heard of people breaking the CDN front sprocket and getting a free replacement CDX one.

Do you have a Costco membership (or know someone who does)? Brilliant and Priority seem to be the same company so with a Costco membership you can use the Costco Next Priority Bikes link and get $120 off the Cooper.

Unsolicited bike pic: