Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Rookie question, is there common etiquette to get past pedestrians on narrow paths? Bells usually work and every bike here has to have one, but some proportion of people always get spooked by it and I feel like a jerk. And so many people wear earphones now.

I did a little cycle loop of my town on the weekend trying to figure out a good way to ride to work, and unfortunately didn't come up with anything great. Steep road with no footpath, park track that's legal for bikes but feels destined to cause injury, bike-friendly detour that's much longer and still ends up at the same hill. Riding other places is fun, but I might have to get a bit fitter for this trip first. At least going home will be easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Thanks for the information, it's pretty much what I was doing but I didn't want to be an inadvertent rear end in a top hat after not riding for a long time. I probably should be more paranoid.

SimonSays posted:

Get your city to put sidewalks next to the bike paths??

I wish, our bike paths are "combined cycleways". They're wide and smooth with no markings so people will walk two or three abreast in conversation and take it personally when I have to interrupt them. But now I'm just grumbling.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Thanks to the OP and other people who wrote up the infodumps at the start of this thread, especially the ways to lock up bikes with photos. I don't think it makes sense for me to commute to work by bike, but I've been trying to ride for other journeys. It's been surprising how many car parks and shops have bike stands I'd never noticed, but they're usually empty except for my bike and hidden off in a corner. And of course some places don't have anything proper. So it's good to know I'm not making it too easy.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Sheldon Brown is great, his website has a bunch of tips for idiots like me (and other pages for more knowledgeable people), though some of it feels a little outdated. That video in particular was a lightbulb moment, my previous method was super wobbly so I tried to avoid intersections knowing I'd rather get off and walk across if I had to stop. Not even sure how I did it now, probably push off with tiptoes then hope to find the pedals before I fell over.