Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You most definitely need fenders on your commuter, and mosdef not on anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alanthecat posted:

Head to toe waterproofs is what I used for years. In Dublin, Ireland, there were plenty of days when fenders wouldn't do half the job needed.
I just don't enjoy arriving at home/work with my outerwear covered in grime :/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can put a shoulder pad in your front triangle, or a pool noodle or pad around your top tube near the seat tube.

https://vincita.cc/products/b022n-frame-bag-with-shoulder-pad

To me bikes never seem too heavy to carry for a while, but they're just loving awkward off the ground.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

This is accurate, but sometimes people leave them at the wrong end of the stairs, hence the helpful ramps. Worst is when all the dry ones are taken and you have to go into the canals where we keep all the excess bikes in cold water storage. Sometimes tourists or immigrants don't understand this and use locks, which is when you give the traditional Dutch greeting of "cancer *ethnicity*!" and helpfully display Dutch values with a pair of traditional wooden bolt-cutters ("clogs" in English).
:perfect:

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I will. I'm more surprised that every hybrid I've bought has had wider bars than the last. Are these actually comfortable for people outside of mountain biking?
They're only comfy on slack bikes with short stems. You need all the elements, but in general super wide bars are annoying in busy traffic. They also can't be straight for obvious reasons.
Also please don't cut bars with hacksaws, use pipe-cutters or at least a guide.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 5, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

First bike commute in at least 11 years this morning.
heck ye

ExecuDork posted:

Going home is going to extra fun. Not just because it's Friday and the weather is lovely, but also because my brakes + this hill are going to be terrifying exhilarating.
remember, short deliberate braking (no trail braking), and brake before the turn. you got this.

mate.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Am I correct in thinking that trail braking means trying to slowly reduce speed by dragging only the rear brake? I try not to do that anyway but I'd like to know more about why it's bad.

EDIT- thanks very much for all the encouragement, everyone!
Trail braking is braking lightly for longer as you enter a corner. In some cars it can be useful. On a bike you're just putting heat into your braking system for no good reason. Brake firmly, release as you increase your steering input.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Good to know, thanks. I've got a fair bit of thinking and planning to do in the next little while. I'm hoping to buy myself a "new to me" bike for a christmas present, but the choices are currently overwhelming. A quick look on Facebook marketplace shows almost nothing local, but possibly plenty of options in the bigger cities of Newcastle (1 million people, 3 hours drive away) and Sydney (5 million, 5 hours). And I don't have a car, complicating go-and-see plans. But I have months to work on this. I *think* I want a hardtail mountain bike, but beyond that I'm still coming up with stupid ideas.
Have you thought about the kind of riding you want to do, and what the terrain's like around your parts? Do you want the hardtail for versatility?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I was also attacked by a duck. As I passed a family of Pacific Black Ducks the mom charged me, hissing. Again, no contact, no harm no fowl foul.
A mate once smacked a goose right across the neck using her frame pump like a expandable baton and I was in awe.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My first impressions of the microshifters is that they're not too shabby. I really only have my time with 105 5700 to compare them to
That was not a great 105 generation. I'm not a fan of mine.

ExecuDork posted:

My brakes are ridiculous. Starting my descent yesterday, I felt like I had, in effect, no brakes at all. The wet steel rims and the half-worn-out (and only barely aligned) pads were ineffective. After they wiped most of the water off I actually had some braking power, but it was a little dicey. Disk brakes are a high priority for my next bike, even though this junkyard frankenbike is hardly a fair representative.
Good pads will make a huge difference. (non-machined) steel rims are always a nightmare comparatively, but good pads will definitely improve performance, and so will technique: if you know you have to slow down, "wipe" the rim with light pressure before leaning into them. You'll avoid the dreaded moment where the dry part of your rim is coming around, and suddenly your back wheel is lifting.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 22, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

norp posted:

I liked mine until I got a 5800 bike.... Holy poo poo it was like night and day.
Yeah it's not bad per se, but both the prior and following gens are better for what they are.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I see this has an internal hub and belt drive. Does anyone have any experience with those? Pros/cons versus a traditional chain/exposed hub? Lot of dirt and rocks out here but not a lot of rain/snow or mud.
I have a gates belt and di2 nexus-5 hub on my cargo bike (with a e6100 mid-drive) and I like it.

You never have to clean it, belt lasts ±20x longer than a decent chain (same with sprockets), completely silent.
The downside is that gates locks you into a geared crank or hub. Pinion and rohloff are 'spensive, and the nexus-5 I have now is decent but really can't shift under the most minimal of loads, and you have to dip it in fresh lube every 2k.

Overall I love gates but am not in love with nexus-5. I really want to try a gates+rohloff setup.

bicievino posted:

Like poteto said, tires make waaaaay more difference than material. At most pricepoints, aluminum is going to be a better choice than other materials, especially in the commuting thread context.
Couldn't agree more. You can't eyeball carbon damage, at all. How are you going ride a bike made of the stuff after leaving it out of sight for 8 hours at home/the office?
Carbon's great for road and MTB frames. I'd always commute on something else.

Not sure I agree about tire sizes. 35mm vs 47 is an obvious difference to me, but I think past 35/40mm the quality/design/pattern of the tire makes at least as important a difference.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 26, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sauer posted:

I haven't fallen yet but its pretty much a full body workout keeping myself upright as the bike is dancing around under me; steering more with my thighs than the bars. Is there anything I can do to make this less miserable or is it kind of like riding a horse and you get use to it and relax into the random shifting over time? I'm not sure I can handle a few more months of this if its going to be hell every time. My commute is only 8km and only the first kilometer is all crapped up like this but 10% of the route is taking 90% of the effort. I'd really like to not get back on the bus and I really like riding in the winter when its just snow and ice (and the looks of horror from drivers strokes my ego).

Its fun when its fresh.

The tires you have are only good for hardpack, basically.

Mauser posted:

People frequently leave those scooters in the bike lane and I always give them a vigorous hurl out of the way.
Heck yeah. Always fun to use your own speed to yeet them onto the lane.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CopperHound posted:

You'd be a lot cooler if you tossed them the other direction.
Exactly. They're usually on the edge of the cycle track, and if you hit the bottom of the steerer at speed you can yeet the whole thing onto the asphalt.
Don't put stroller/wheelchair obstacles on the sidewalk.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've just ordered a Lupine SL SF precisely so I can blast back all the assholes blinding me on my errands.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I wish cutoff lenses were mandated (although yes, obviously, I know that would never, ever be enforced).
Yeah I really wish STVZO certs were a EU-wide thing.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know we're just joking around and stuff but it's this sort of attitude that so very often makes other cyclists just the worst (after electric scooters and cars). It's always about escalation and revenge instead of trying to teach good habits.
Giving uncaring people a dose of their own medicine isn't the same as taking over their behavior. Most people aren't evil, they're just oblivious/uncaring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Holding up your hand to shield your eyes is plenty enough to get the message across to someone who probably isn't aware of how badly they are blinding people. Blinding them back is both petty and unsafe.
Literally no one has done anything about their light unless I yell I them to lower it. Flashing an MTB light at someone coming at you with their way high is literally the equivalent of flashing your high beams at someone who didn't bother turning theirs off.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dieselfruit posted:

I was thinking of upgrading my dinky Cateye front light and was looking at the Knog Lil Cobber, which boasts "4 eye saving modes" - not clear if its other people's eyes its saving, or if the light is so bright that it'll usually blind the rider as well.
Just get something that's STVZO.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mauser posted:

Where do you guys live that police harass cyclists for minor infractions btw? Our police can't even be bothered to solve murders when they're not brutalizing the black population.
In the netherlands they loved to give out tickets for not having lights. I once got stopped by a motorcycle cop in the middle of town at 7:30 in the morning on the way to my commuter train and given a ticket for not having lights (it was plenty bright and I did have lights, they just weren't on). Fought that ticket and won.
A chief of police once got a very public boot because he refused to stop issuing tickets to people wearing their lights on their clothes/packs instead of their bikes (where they get stolen the moment you look away). That was extremely satisfying.

Where I live now any cop gently caress up will get mass publicity if you're white-passing, so they mostly behave. But they've also gotten pretty garbage at parking enforcement, so I carry a can of silly string.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I put big ol' rally mudflaps on my last cargo bike and I really should get around to doing it on my new one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Are you commuting to an artisanal gold mine?
That's just clay doing clay things.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I've never found any removable fenders to be anything but annoying and substandard long term.
Real fenders aren't that hard to remove in the summer.
That's what we do on my kid's bike. Removable fenders just don't protect you for poo poo. They kinda sorta prevent back spray but that's it. Your shoes/BB area and the people behind you are still getting the full blast.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Also, >7 speed cassettes were a mistake. I love just cutting my red chain off at the end of the winter, and paying 9€ for a new one.
Gates my dudes, GATES

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

Evangelizing ITT is making me increasingly tempted to convert my ancient cargobike to belt drive. It would require welding in a splittable piece in the frame and probably sliding dropouts as well (Gates doesn't recommend use with the horizontal dropouts I have now). Since it's a steel frame and the workspace I use recently got a milling machine installed, none of these mods intimidate me nearly as much as the cost of the components - sprockets are pricey! That setup better be great to warrant the cost of parts is all I'm saying.
Just so we're clear, Gates is amazing but you have to be OK with the IGH life, which means Shimano's that don't like torque or GERMAN-ENGINEERED, couple house payment-costing rohloff.

Sauer posted:

Your cities clear snow off bike infrastructure? The large boulevard I need to take every day got renovated over the late summer to fall to add protected bike lanes to either side between the road and sidewalk. They're really nice... and currently storing all the snow they shoveled off the road and sidewalks.
That's the beauty of having a critical mass of winter riders. Nothing will get the bike path cleared like drivers howling about bikes on "their" lane.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anyone come across interesting fauna on their commutes?
There's bunnies milling about in a park that we cross on the school run. The little ones are *thrilled* every time :kimchi:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bingemoose posted:

Hey pretty new to cycling, looking to trade my car in and just getting a bike to bring to work. My commute would be about an hour each way. Is there an advantage to spending the megabux over something that is 500-600 ?
There's definitely tangible advantages to spending 1500 bucks or so on a new whip, but over that you're mostly buying lightness.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My loving Nexus 5 just ate its 2 top gears yay.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CopperHound posted:

RIP. Have you had a chance to see if it the innards are ruined or if some service might fix it yet?
LBS is taking a look tomorrow but it's well under warranty. I'm just bummed about the down time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

I tried to get new internals for a nexus 8 but it was cheaper to get a whole hub with shifter and cable. I ended up re-lacing the wheel cause I kinda like that process for some reason. Sheldon Brown's website and a good audiobook and it's a pleasant evening if I'm in the right mood.
LBS gave it a half a turn, heard the noise of horrible mechanical agony and the first thing out of his mouth was "aight email me your invoice in case Shimano asks when I warranty this".

Albinator posted:

No, I get you. I grew up in a part of the world where 37 and rainy is a very normal winter day, and we used to play rugby in it. You can certainly put up with it for 40 minutes, and you do forget about the weather as being the source of your discomfort, at least for most of that time.
There's dealing with it and dealing with it on the way to work where you can't look like a complete bum. E-bikes make that problem way easier TBH, because they remove the need to sweat under your goretex.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

What were the issues, and what did v2 miss?
Off the top of my head, lovely accuracy on the brake mounts, rides kinda harsh even on the the large tires it comes with, doesn't fit really tall riders, lovely paint, useless stand.
V2 everything but the paint, I think. We'll see what QC is like and I'm curious about the service interval on the fork.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have one of those small medium pressure washers and it's the tits. Load it up with warm water, hose down in 3 minutes, let bike dry in the garage.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've no idea what that's about, our kids never got wet in our thule trailer. Not that they wouldn't be in rainproof footwear if it were raining, but ya know..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Maybe a mudflap would keep rear wheel spray from hitting the underside of the trailer, I wonder if that's the culprit.
I mean yes but that shouldn't matter. My partner's bike doesn't have one and it wasn't an issue.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

My loving Nexus 5 just ate its 2 top gears yay.

Got my hub back from the LBS (the nexus 5 di2 that crunched itself after all of 3 months). Verdict is water ingress allowed a one way bearing to oxidize, and rust got into the top 2 gearsets.

Now on the plus side, Shimano was easy to work with and cross-shipped us new internals but on the other hand IT'S loving 3 MONTHS OLD WHAT THE gently caress YOU TURDS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I don't pressure wash the hubs/BB for this very reason, which is what made it all the more frustrating. It is kept in a heated place at night (after riding in mostly -10C weather), so that might be it.

CopperHound posted:

I haven't felt like those things have had enough lube to actually do water displacement when I have opened them up. I fill 'em up with enough tenacious oil to ooze out the bearings if I don't need to worry about getting oil on the carpet.
Yeah the LBS said he put "as much as he dared" in there with the new internals to try and alleviate further issues.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that's literally the job of a tongue gusset.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Omafiets'es are Good Actually. In the netherlands, which is flat and perfectly adapted to bikes for transportation.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

You guys spontaneously combust if you see a fender.
No those are great for all commuters

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I mean, tbh fenders are great for all cyclists.
I only know a tiny fraction of racers who don't use fenders.
Yeah back when I rode road bikes with friends we all thought it was kinda lovely to not use them in a pack. So much less cleaning.

EvilJoven posted:

The snow is compacted down to the point where it's like riding on hardpack it might be cold but it's also so very nice to ride on.
This is good. The city here seems to forget that paths need maintenance even when it's not actively snowing so today some paths were covered by that sandy kind of snow that gets ground out of hardpack by the traffic. It made riding unnecessarily dicey.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Al2001 posted:

iirc she does ride a relatively Dutch-style city bike though. Which shows they can be both useful and fun in cities without great cycle infra.
Nah, it's an average city step through frame, with gears, and not as laid back as an omafiets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Al2001 posted:

I looked it up and you're right, the posture is not quite omafiets-level. (most Dutch bikes have gears tho)

That picture is what I (and dutch people) would call a "stadsfiets". An omafiets IMO is even more laid back (short/no stem length and more bar sweep), it's got less head tube angle, and a fully enclosed chain case, with a coaster brake. Some have IGH's but that's quite rare; you just don't really need gears in the netherlands.
When I lived there the ratio of SS vs geared was probably 1:1.

The bike you pictured is way more generally useful than an omafiets IMO, but also needs more maintenance.