Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I started trying to bike commute in February, but COVID has had me working from home most days. I've done enough riding since then though that I feel pretty good about doing it every day whenever my regular schedule starts back. We have decent bike infrastructure here, but there's still lots of stupid poo poo like the crossing signal button that I have to dismount to push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

XIII posted:

One of the few small perks of still working from my office is that I still get to ride to/from my office.

this is my sole consolation about going back to work soon. otoh all the streets are going to be packed with campus reopening, so I lose my spacious empty streets.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

XIII posted:

From what I've observed (having ridden to work every day since all this started), they're largely back to normal anyway

Probably in most places, but I work on a college campus and live directly next to it, so the streets I'm riding change significantly once the students move back. I think I'm going to have to shift my commute to earlier in the morning just so that I'll have a chance to get on the street.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

XIII posted:

I work on a large campus that's shared by three colleges and live across town next to a fourth, separate college, so HA

Can I move there

We have a seriously impressive bus system here, but thousands of students still commute by car every morning, clogging up the roads. Just a solid wall of cars driven by people who are hungover and late for class.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I try to treat pedestrians the way I'd want a car to treat me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Is this a pedestrian

That is a force of nature.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OK, tell me how to make this work in the rain. It rained non-stop for a month when I first tried to start bike commuting in February. It was dry all summer while I was quarantined. Now I'm back at work and it's raining every day again.

Fenders, rain jacket, what else? Hat?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks all, good ideas. My commute is only 2 miles, and I have some freedom to set up a fan and change clothes. I'll look into shoe covers and some of the other things. I'd like to avoid fenders if I can just because it seems like a big addition to the bike for only two miles, but idk

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The reddit page is fairly popular: https://old.reddit.com/r/bikecommuting/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can't imagine biking in jeans. Denim is so uncomfortable.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just wear regular pants that are softer than jeans :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my bikes have obnoxiously large bullhorns and I fully expect to snag them on something one day

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Will my throat ever adjust to biking in cold weather or am I just going to have a cough forever? I have a buff for really cold weather, but I'd rather not wear it on slightly cold days if I could be building up some tolerance instead.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I guess I'll find out either way. I've always had cold-weather asthma, but somehow biking hasn't triggered it. I gave myself some sort of upper-respiratory infection from riding in the cold last winter, but I think the buff will prevent that this year.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm very much a mouth breather, during both exertion and normal conditions. I think this is why I keep getting a cough.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

First commute with my new trunk bag. Much nicer than a backpack!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

(bonus MTB that I don't feel like moving)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ha, yes, after I rode in this morning I promised myself that I'd finally get around to adjusting that. It's not really uncomfortable, which is probably why I keep forgetting.

And that's just where the rack mounts on this frame, idk

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well I've used it twice and like it so far. I wouldn't necessarily have sprung for such a nice one, but it was a gift, so I'll take it. I tried using a single pannier for a while, but the imbalance was annoying when I had a heavy load. My backpack was a pretty small cycling pack and really didn't bother me in the heat, but it couldn't carry a lot and was an extra thing to keep track of. Also the bag is waterproof and the pack is not.

I think a double pannier setup might be better if you're carrying more stuff though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a wall-leaning one from Delta that always looks like it's going to fall down, but it's surprisingly sturdy. It's been a lifesaver in my cramped apartments over the years.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Refreshing and positive thread about someone getting into bike commuting:
https://twitter.com/SarahJ_Berry/status/1358461390302949376

Have to go pretty deep before one of the Entropist types shows up.

I can second her point about how road modifications for the pandemic helped a lot. I was already doing a mediocre job commuting by bike before it started, but then we had several months of very depressed car traffic where I was able to get much more comfortable riding on roads. When the cars showed back up I was starting/stopping faster, knew which traffic lights detected bikes, etc. It's a really daunting habit to pick up when you're not good at it, infrastructure doesn't support it, and the road's packed with cars.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I've never really considered cycling to be complicated or intimidating, but she brought up some good thoughts in that regard. Growing up in a cycling-positive environment is a privilege.

I wonder how much of that feeling of intimidation comes from the greater focus on cycling as a sport in the US and UK, and the associated tendency to perhaps overcomplicate things? Enthusiasts love to geek out, after all.

To most people I know, cycling is no more complicated than buying whichever bike appeals to you and just riding it, but the primary mindset associated with cycling has a powerful influence.

I think most people are intimidated by how incredibly dangerous it is, plus how strenuous it can be. The thing that scared me the most getting started was the busy street I have to cross to exit my neighborhood that is supposed to be 35 mph but in practice is a free-for-all with very few gaps in traffic. There are also very few level streets here. My whole commute is hills.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

American car culture is every bit as psychotic as it sounds. I think one of the reasons people have trouble sharing the road is because their trucks and SUVs are simply too large to pass a bike.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Good point. From what I can tell it's twice as dangerous as a car (https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/166/2/212/98784), and our traffic accident rates are like 6x the rate of a lot of European countries, so maybe not "dangerous" but much worse than it should be? You're at least forced into a lot of unsafe road situations with our lovely road infrastructure.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Also, my office is a cave in the basement and I never interact with other humans. I'm so lonely....

lol same, pal. They should just stop putting basements in academic buildings. One perk though is that I can walk my bike straight to my office!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You gotta include at least one sick jump to make it realistic

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think a kid would be interested in all the things you see and experience during a bike ride that you don't during a car ride. Like nodding at another cyclist, stopping for some geese in the path, meeting people at an intersection, hurrying to beat the rain, etc.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mine is only 2 miles, but it's all hills. There isn't a single moment that I'm not pumping up a hill or flying down one the entire way.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's ridiculous that anyone would be expected to commute in conditions like that unless they're "essential" workers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If anything the problem is how hot buildings are after a ride. I have to wear layers that I can strip off once I get to the office.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is there any reason everyone doesn't use one of those? It looks like it would keep your chain much cleaner.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How does it affect gearing?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh. My commute is pretty easy but I don't think I could do it without gear shifting. It isn't flat for even a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How do I protect my poor mucus membranes from the cold? I have some wool buffs and a couple of cycling face masks, but none of them are good. The buffs fall off my nose, and the masks are cumbersome; one has earloops that get tangled in my helmet, and the other is bulky. I also have a balaclava but that flattens my hair.