Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Landed a high-level game industry gig in LA. Spending 3 or 4 days a week there. Office at the edge of Malibu.

Nice bike commute:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Guinness posted:

Your bike is all bent up, mate

That bike isn't bent up.

This one is:

recumBENT.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mauser posted:

The old man vibes are so strong it's hard to.type on.this.phoneeee

I'm so old that my first published computer game shipped on CASSETTE TAPE.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I got chastised by a fellow employee for riding my Brompton on PCH (Pacific Palisades) sans helmet.

I mentioned that cycling in office clothes sans helmet gets me more space from drivers and he agreed.

Anyway, the only helmet that would fit my 62cm head is the Specialized Max and that is back in San Diego with the Recumbent. They don't make that anymore.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mauser posted:

The psychological analysis of the driver's attitude here is interesting because I would struggle to analyze drivers' behavior in my city where I have anecdotally been yelled at for cycling in the clearly marked bus/cycling lane while stopped at a red light. Otherwise agreeing that it's always better to ride a bike than not to ride a bike regardless of helmet use and availability.

I never get yelled at either on the Brompton or riding the Recumbent. Even when controlling the lane on roads like Ventura Blvd. or PCH (Brompton).

I suppose size DOES matter?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I have a stupidly large misshapen dome (7 7/8" hat size) and Giro and POC L helmets both fit my head just fine.

Not wearing a helmet is dumb.

That's good to know about the fit.

I stupidly kickstarted the Park & Diamond: Foldable Bike Helmet in hopes I would have a great helmet to go along with the folding bike.

https://www.park-and-diamond.com

A fool and his money ...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is from a highly disputed study with a really small sample size and a dubious premise. Average passing distance doesn’t matter because all it takes is one occurrence of passing too close or someone just straight plowing into you because “I never saw him.” Individual people aren’t killed by averages.

Anyway, as someone who both drives and rides bikes, I give more space when passing at low speed to riders who look wobbly or otherwise can’t hold their line. It has nothing to do with whether they’re wearing a helmet.

Ah yes, this I agree with. Hence:

Crazy Mikes is a tactic where you swerve left and right to get the attention of distracted motorists and keep them from crowding you.

Here’s the story of “Crazy Mikes”.

Mike Vanderman was an infamous anti MTB troll on forums and Usenet. However he did talk about erratic riding on the road as a way of getting motorists attention.

In honor of that and one of my favorite films (The Hunt For Red October) I came up with “Crazy Mikes.”

https://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/whatever-happened-mike-vandeman-973410-2.html

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Al2001 posted:

If you haven't already you can start buying jeans with a bit of stretchiness for more longevity & comfort. Levi's Commuters are the usual recommendation but people say they've gone down in quality. I get Wrangler Larstons (2% elastane) for £40 in TKMaxx.

If I'm going over, say, 10 miles, I wear polyester/spandex hiking pants because jeans are just a bit sweaty and chafey on longer rides.

Calvin Klein makes some really comfy jeans. No issue cycling with them.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

My bike commute does not suck.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's gorgeous but because of my experience with sand, I'd hate that sidewalk.

It's been raining recently but I'm super happy about taking it like a champ. There hasn't been a hard rain yet, just steady light/medium so we'll see. I have yet to use my water-proof pants, drat my legs, but I've used a pretty lovely light rain-coat which gets the job done. Anything heavier and I'll be wetter from the sweat than the rain itself.

A waxed chain doesn't gather sand.

But yeah, I have to be super careful on some of the spots. This section of my commute is from Santa Monica to Sunset.

The scenery is nice, and I mean not just the ocean.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

VideoGameVet, where did you get that handle on the frame to make it easier to carry? I've been thinking that it'd be nice to have something like that on my Brompton

https://www.offyerbike.com

A must when you're hauling your bike thru train stations and airports ... like I used to do before the pandemic ended all of that :-(

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mauser posted:

Man, the Dutch don't know poo poo about commuting by bike to work. Everyday in Ouagadougou, I'd see hundreds of men, women, women with children, elderly people, all biking on ancient step-through bikes and they'd just leave them on the side of the road with no locks or nothing when they got to their destination.

Let me know when I can leave my bike unlocked in Amsterdam and it won't be stolen. Land of upright men indeed

... which is why I use my folder when I'm there and take it with me into offices and resturants.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mauser posted:

Never take a day off bike commuting

Before COVID I'd take Amtrak and the folder up to LA from San Diego country. All I had was the bike to get around. So yeah, no days off from Bike Commuting:

The wet:

The hot:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

There are ospreys around San Diego that perch on a few spots along different routes I take, and there is a nest just off of a very popular route that I rode for the first time last week. They are so loving metal.

Some of the waterfront parks have huge rabbit populations and they scatter when you ride near. Gotta make sure you don’t rush. The dumb bastards over.

Big nest on the top of a pole at Pepper Park in National City.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Anachronist posted:

Those brake cable runs are maybe the best part about that absurd creation.

... and the apparently broken-in Brooks saddle.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Groda posted:

This morning I broke a tire lever putting a Marathon Plus back on.

I did it by hand via. technique, a rim with sufficient 'drop' inside, and hand strength. I actually peeled a layer of skin off of one of my thumbs. Ouch.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The best is putting Marathons on the Brompton’s 16” wheels.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

SimonSays posted:

That's a pitifully small bag. The saddlebag can be, and has been for a long time, a serious gear-hauling apparatus.

That would make more sense, on my Brompton, then adding the rear rack. Add my front "T-Bag" and I could tour with that.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Of course smoking is bad for cardio fitness, but training matters more (until you're old and your lungs just totally give out). All of those smoking bikers would leave us in the dust with a cigarette dangling from their lips.

Wasn't there some 'theory' that irritating your lungs would give you a brief increase in capacity?

I know that if I have a cold coming on SOMETIMES I would be a bit faster that day.

Probabily BS and smoking sucks.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've biked with fevers and the beginning stages of Covid, any impression of speed whether true or not is probably due to lack of judgement caused by delirium.

I'm talking the stage just before a fever. A sore throat basically.

Then again, I grew up on a swamp so over the years I have sailed thru the Flu and Covid with basically a sore throat and nasal congestion. And I'm OLD.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Groda posted:

So what's going on with Brompton? Supply problems? Demand problems?

One of my game industry friends managed to just snag 2 new Bromptons. Lucky.

(Can't share FB pic, oh well)

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 23, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Valve cores and a core tool are so small you should have them both in your repair kit for that time you inevitably launch one of your cores into the bush like an itty bitty mortar while trying to pump up a tire.

Also don't pace Roos they seem to be angry rear end in a top hat bipedal deer and one thing I know is when a deer paces you most likely it's going to turn into you. I imagine a roo would do the same but instead of running off afterwards it'd probably kick your rear end.

Ditto for ostriches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Oddly this town council is quite affluent, mostly because of the insane car parking fees. £7 a day to park on unguarded rubble rising to £14 a day for a unmanned place with security cameras.

The family business was parking garages in Manhattan, NYC.

The daily parking fee in 1974 was $20 I recall. I used to park cars there when I was in HS.

And my dad's garage is still there (he retired in the 1980's):

And now (from Google Reviews):

"Such a waste of money I paid almost $60 for a little over an hour!!!!"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

When I travel (flights, train) I take the Brompton and just keep it with me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

What Brompton owner doesn't take their bike inside with them? It's expensive and one reason is that to folds/unfolds in seconds and is small enough to stash at work or at a restaurant.

That being said, someone should have kicked his rear end.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Run BB7s with semi metallic pads. Ride through a briney oily puddle first part of the season. Use your brakes as a horn the rest of the season.

I'm getting longer use with the organic (non metallic pads) and they are quieter.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

deong posted:

https://www.spurcycle.com/products/factory-seconds
Since it was mentioned, Spurbell is doing their Frankenbell sale. $32 for scratch n dent bells. The best bell in the market. I use one under my bar mitts and people still hear it.

For some reason my 2013 Brompton's bell is WAY louder than the Spurbell I have on the recumbent. Strange.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Invalido posted:

I'm by no means an expert on stopping brake squeal. I doubt it's related to air in the brake fluid though. Anecdotally I've had at least short term success with cleanliness. Brake clean or similar on the discs, new pads or if there's plenty of meat left on them sanding down the friction surface a bit can quiet them for a while. Some people soak the pads in solvent or bake them in the oven but I've never tried those methods.

As a rule, my bakfiets will squeal unless it's raining and my commuter will squeal unless it's dry. If anyone knows how to remedy this I'd like to know :shrug:

My front mechanical disc brake (BB7) sounds like a train going thru a sharp curve.

The rear? Quiet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I still do tires by hand but if I go back to Marathon Plus tires I’ll use levers because the last time I did that with Pluses, I pealed the skin off on one of my thumbs.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

So many combos of tires and rims. I've mounted Marathons in like 5 minutes without having to think about it and then the next time I'm debating filing a comp claim for physio because my hands get all jacked up. I'm pretty sure if I ever switch to Marathons for commuting or touring I'd practice mounting and unmounting a few times just to make sure it's physically possible to do it in a reasonable amount of time before heading out. Screw being a half hour late for something because Schwalbe engineers are masochists.

I've been on Vittoria 40mm 26" Rubino Pro Slicks for years, but I'm down to one spare. Very easy to mount/dismount. Roll easily.

When they wear out I'll get the Compass tires so I can deal with gravel easier.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Invalido posted:

my experience is the same. Roadside flats used to be fairly common for me (usually glass slivers or small steel debris) but it just doesn't seem to happen with marathon+. I still carry the toolkit but it's been a long time since I had need for it.

I have gotten flats with the (normal) Marathons but not the Marathon Pluses.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I’m in San Francisco for a game conference with my Brompton.

Climbing isn’t an issue (Nob Hill) but the descents are a bit scary. I hang off the back of the bike but those are really steep descents.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

green kingfisher posted:

Any Los Angeles commuters here? How do you do it? I'm in awe of you. Courage I don't have... yet?

I commuted in LA from 2018 to early 2021, Studio City (Ventura Blvd), Hollywood, and finally Pacific Palisades later on. Brompton folder.

I'd come up on Amtrak/Metro from San Diego early in the week and stay at AirBnB's/Hotel during the week.

Ventura wasn't that bad. Once COVID hit I ended up driving to the PP gig and I'd used the bike (Brompton) during the week. At the tail end of that I was staying in Marina Del Rey and riding the path to the office (Sunset and PCH). That was sweet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

are there sites that show specs for old french bikes?

based on my current bike, my ideal stack is 23", and reach is about 15.4"

i'm looking at this peugeot https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-1971-peugeot-u08-single/7483615898.html

I found this one, I think this bike was originally a ten speed and then this person converted it. but it doesn't have the detailed measurements that bikes have today

I assembled so many of those when I worked at Brands Bicycles (NY). We called them "Embryo Cycles" because they came in opaque heat shrink plastic.

When I was 15 I got one of these after destroying a Raleigh 10 speed by slipping a rear wheel and bending the frame. My mom gave the dealer grief and they exchanged it for a Peugeot PX10e.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

When I commuted to an office, I used my Brompton and kept it under my desk.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't leave a nice(-looking) bike in a bike rack, no matter what kind of locks you have.

I've seen bike racks cut apart and even completely removed, along with all the bikes on it. Dedicated thieves don't give a poo poo, they'll do whatever it takes.

Tow Truck picked up the entire bike rack at my high school in the 1970’s. Brother’s Raleigh was locked to that as well many others.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

It's a Brompton (that I sold to op) with I'm pretty sure 15mm nuts. Though I've never thought too hard about it, assuming the Marathons on there would be insurance enough.

Pretty much. I’ve had mine since 2013 and the only flats I got was overheating the rear wheel and blowing out a tube on a long/steep descent (I was about 225 lbs at the time) and once on the front from a staple in the road.

Oh get the Brompton toolkit that fits in the frame. It works well.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I parked about 6 miles from ComicCon (San Diego) on Saturday (Liberty Station, free parking) and then rode the Brompton to the convention center and put it in bag check for $5.

I suspect parking anywhere near the convention center would be considerably more expensive.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

SimonSays posted:

I wish everyone would hit cars when drivers gently caress up. It would make them understand that their behavior affects others around them with immediate feedback, and if you avoid doing it with a closed fist, or you do it while holding something hard, it doesn't hurt anyone.

In 1989 I was living in Palo Alto and would bike to the office in Menlo Park.

One day I was cycling on the Bryant Street Bikeway (since renamed the Ellen Fletcher Bikeway), which had stop signs for cross traffic but not for thru traffic.

Saw a station wagon at a stop sign, made eye contact, but the driver proceeded across the intersection.

So I turned and put my shoulder into the rear door of the wagon.

Now at that time I was a ginormous fatbeast. Over 300 lbs and riding a Miata 1000LT with Wheelsmith built wheels.

So I suffered no harm, the bike was fine, and the car door was destroyed. Very satisfying.

I named my youngest child after that street (Bryant).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I carry a packet of Grey Poupon mustard in my bikes' top bar bag, in case I encounter a Rolls Royce passenger that needs it.