Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
If you can't get their attention, pass real slow, like not much above walking pace. And hold your line don't cut right back in front as soon as you're past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

slicing up eyeballs posted:

help I live in hell and it's consistently >90°F, what can I do to keep my commutes and recreational rides from killing me

Morning rides. A vacuum flask with icy water helps too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

With a 44t front ring I'd be really surprised if you're spinning out on the flat, unless your cassette has a 16t smallest cog or something. You're saying you want a taller (harder) gear right?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

bicievino posted:

This is a good summary, but I'll qualify it by saying: modern aluminum isn't very buzzy, and even the most extreme light steel frame is still typically at least a pound heavier than a typical modern carbon road frame, and super light carbon frames weigh less than half as much as super light steel ones.

True, and one more point that modern high volume road tire (35c+) pretty much removes the "road buzz" effect completely for all materials. Weight, flex, corrosion, cost are the factors (first and last being important for most people).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I'm more worried about negligence than aggression. So many people use their phones while driving. Where I live it's not even illegal for drivers over 18 :psyduck:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What's the go-to for commuter tires now? I had gatorskins *years* ago and loved them. Iv'e got a dutch bike with some monstrous Schwalbe City Light 40-622 tires and I'd like to get some 32-622 puncture resistant tires.

I commute mostly on paved roads, but on trips into the city center I do have to deal with cobblestones.

Maxxis re-fuse are decent, come in 32 and 40c. For cobbles the bigger the better.

Edit: derp, thought the dutch bike was not the commuter. I'd stick to the 40c range at least, and yeah marathons.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 21, 2021

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

This poo poo's the reason I've been wearing FFP2 masks for a loving year. Not about to let some careless morons take cycling away from me if I can help it.

^^^ Getting my second shot in 2 weeks but I'm not stopping wearing a mask until national vax % is way up there.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I don't generally have to worry about aggressive drivers but my state allows cellphone use while driving because :911: so distracted driving is pretty common. This morning a jeep blew right through a red light in front of me as I crossed on green. 2 seconds later and I wouldn't be posting now.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I ran that for a year before I noticed the rotors were resin only :shrug: worked just fine for road at least.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The Sirrus is a fine bike. It's on the sporty end of the hybrid spectrum.

I don't know anything about trailers but maybe worth mentioning to the dealer in case it's an issue for the carbon model.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Yep, I'll never use a pump or co2 that screw on for just that reason. If the valve isn't tight enough (how tight? who knows.) it can ruin your ride. Press-on all the way.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

What about putting a proper rack on the back that you can just hang a single pannier off when you need it?

Edit: baguette shopping this morning

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 21, 2021

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I expect shops would have them set up single speed (with a freewheel) not fixed. They might flip the wheel for a test ride if you ask nice and sign a waiver.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Looks pretty normal from what I can see - besides the front brake being disconnected obviously, and remove that front reflector before it jams the wheel.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Reflector bracket seems to be almost touching the tire, and does basically nothing anyway. If you're riding at night, get a modern LED light that mounts to the handlebar.

Bike looks great, enjoy!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I have a DIY bag but if I were buying I'd trust something from Banjo or J&D. I have used a Topeak system too and it was good.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Cutting the wind makes such a difference in freezing temps, more so than insulation. I made a set out of some spare rip-stop which I'll run on the commute when it's 20f.

Bonus winter visibility too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

It's a balance of probability and cost. If the light is nice and qr I'd bring it with you. If it's just a tube and multi tool in the saddle bag I'd leave that. Depends where you're parking.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

My last two rides have been on cold mornings, around 30f, and after about 10 miles just one knee starts to ache. The other is fine. After 20 miles I can only limp and it's sore for days afterwards. Wonder if it's the cold because nothing else explains it, though I was wearing thermal bib tights and a wind shell over that, so it didn't feel cold at the time. Also I am becoming an old (43) if that matters. Can't think of anything that could cause it suddenly except the onset of ~freezing temp.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Outside of physically overlapping plates with slits/cuts, is there any fabric that is remotely water resistant that does breath well?

The shakedry stuff is very noticeably better than non. I have a pertex shell and a shakedry, the former gets sweaty fast on long rides in the cold and the shakedry doesn't. The pertex is old and beaten up though so I keep it just to throw on for short journeys. All that said, nothing beats pit zips. In the winter I commute with a goretex-pro shell that has zippered vents from waist to elbow, good for 10f to 50f if you don't mind a bit of crinkly noise/feel. A wool base layer helps reduce that clammy feeling too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Rain pants are great, though I mostly use them when it's well below freezing - over bibs - just to eliminate wind.

I have some old Altura ones that I've patched in various places. They breath very well, unlike the cheapest showers pass model I tried once. Strong and breathable is going to cost some money.

If you don't care about breathability so much then SP is the go to.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

17 miles each way and 800/300 ft, but I only need to do it 1-2 times a week, so at most it's just a little more than my old 5 mile / 5 day commute. Includes about 6 miles of gravel trails and the rest is a crappy main road with a decent shoulder and 40mph traffic to my left.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

e: Some people have poor hip flexibility and arch their backs. Their reach needs are lower than people with good hip flexibility and "straight" backs.

:negcycle:

5'8 with 375 reach ~52cm frame, and a custom seat tube angle that brings the saddle another ~25mm closer to the bars.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The Kryptonite NY (standard not fgbt) is a good medium. 16mm shank. The bracket works well. Other brands in same size might be cheaper but that yellow block has some value in signaling what the lock is from a distance imo. I used to have an onguard for indoor use and that was fine too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah I'm a fan of heavy chains, but they are more awkward to carry on the bike (I use one with my basket bike because that makes it easy).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I don't remember the rubber shim clearly but my last kryptonite bracket (with the fabric band) was solid the whole time. Being able to change the angle really helps find a spot.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Cogs are pretty cheap and you can get into the low 20s. I'm running 40x18 with 700x45 tires and its comfortable for <30 mile trips including a lot of grocery runs.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've usually mostly ignored the 'riding in snow' discussions, as it was irrelevant, but as I'm now moving to Alberta...
I think I can fit maybe a 28mm tire on my bike. Does thread pattern make any real difference in snow?

Tread makes a difference in snow, spikes make a difference on ice.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I don't think studded tires are available much smaller than 35c.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Oh that's not bad. Probably no point in the 4-row on a tire that narrow anyway.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

iospace posted:

Looking for a good rain jacket. Any suggestions?

Packable roadie style for wind and light rain, or bombproof for heavy rain / backpack wearing / commuting / mtb? A 3L shell is unbeatable for the latter, just make sure it has nice big pit zips for venting. Shakedry is amazing, just depends which end of the weather/abuse spectrum you need it for.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Invalido posted:

I rode the cargobike to work today, perfect weather and the muni has almost finished resurfacing the nicest part of my commute and it felt like riding on a ballroom floor or something, good times.

That carrier is so good. What's the LED display for?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

^ BUY

kimbo305 posted:

Riding the bus is cheaper but you can’t always get close to where you want to go, or you have to wait tons for transfers. People who can afford it will pay for a car to cut down on that very perceived waiting time.

Depending on the bus cost :/ My single 30min bus commute is $10.50/day. At $1400/year my break even would be 3 days a week. I go to the office once per week so bus wins but if it was every day car would be significantly cheaper (ignoring risk, anxiety, etc). Bike commute would be 2 hours each way unfortunately.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

It is, but slowly because no dedicated lane. The difference is more that the bus route is basically a straight line and the non-lethal bike route (path) meanders all over.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Here are some big frames in that range:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/d/kansas-city-fuji-espree-64cm-road-bike/7640948883.html
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/d/kansas-city-schwinn-letour-bicycle/7644925207.html

Both have new tires at least not some rotten old things that would immediately leave you stranded.

Be aware these are very much vintage frames - no modern braking, gear shifting, or large comfortable tires here. But it'll move quickly down those smooth flat paths.

$200 is a budget for a walmart kids' toy or something 30 years old like those. New tires, new bar tape, throw out that weird gel seat cover thing, learn to change a flat tire and you can go pretty far.

At least up to say $1,500 you totally get what you pay for. Modern bikes are amazing.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 29, 2023

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

That Trek looks perfect for a short commute and local trails. Except it's probably a bit small for someone your height, see if you can find an L or 23" frame.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I don't love the B+M pattern, but the price is hard to beat.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Compromise: keep a pair of jeans and shoes (and a warm jacket in winter) at work. Then just carry a towel + underwear and a shirt to change into each day.

Did a 7 mile commute year round in London with this method, never had an office shower option.

Winter clothing was bib tights, with a light shell over the top, long sleeve jersey with a vented gore-tex pro shell, plus a wool base layer on really cold days.

Summer: mtb shorts and jersey.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 15, 2023

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I got a North St roll-top pannier in a pretty color, mostly to be a contrarian dork but also it has some velcro inside so added a felt laptop sleeve, and replaced the closure clip with a magnetic fidlock.

Pictured sheltering from a surprise thunderstorm last year.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I used to run the 4-row schwalbe version on a 5-mile commute through winter, they were ok on dry days too. Noticeably slower than normal road tires in same size but nowhere near bad enough to bother switching back between snow days.