Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Calling all posters who got their start in this thread: please consider writing a blurb on how you managed to get bike commuting to work for you in the new thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

Glad to share, especially since I got guidance from goons when I was getting started. In the before times when people still went to offices, I did about 5 miles in each direction on suburban streets. Actually going on the streets would be suicidal (50 mph speed limit in places), but the sidewalks are basically deserted so there's no issue riding there. This is in the southern US and I didn't want to deal with showering or changing in the office, so the ride into the office was a leisurely 25-30 minutes but going home was about 20 since sweating didn't matter. I never rode in rain or the dark, so the bike was (is) just an 80s steel racing bike with 28mm road tires and no accessories other than a bell - which goons helped me find on craiglist in 2008 for like $300, and is still going strong.

Overall it was about an extra half hour of commuting per day compared to driving, more than worth it for the built-in exercise that I need anyway.

e: Oh, and my biggest takeaway from getting settled into the commute was figuring out how to carry as little as possible. Not taking a laptop back and forth meant dropping the backpack which was huge for comfort, and since theft isn't a concern at the bike rack at work a thin gun cable lock* that wraps around the seat post when not in use is plenty and way less of a hassle than a u-lock.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'd never lock up without my Abus Granit X-Plus...

quote:

Product Dimensions: 1.4 x 6.9 x 11.6 inches ; 3.43 pounds

Ouch.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mauser posted:

So I just noticed that my bell only fits on my wife's hybrid and my rockhopper handlebars. I tried to put it on my new road bike but the handlebars are too big for the bracket. Where the hell can I attach this thing?

Maybe on the top tube on the frame?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

The real worry (in my mind) when coming off a bike is concussion and traumatic brain injury. An airbag is going to be pretty dang effective at decelerating your brain more gently than a road.

Somebody on my twitter had an accidental deployment last year. She seems to dig it. I'm not going to give up my helmet any time soon, but I see the appeal. She says she charges it about once a week, riding several times a day.

https://twitter.com/starsandrobots/status/1228422816296398849

So she's out like $400 for making a sudden movement?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

There's a trick to putting on car tires that involves spraying gasoline or starter fluid onto the tire, then lighting it so the pressure difference causes the tire to pop into place. Does that work on bikes?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Animal Friend posted:

There's plenty of pictures of old timey bike racers smoking but my favourite fact comes from the Tour de France. Back in the early 1900s it was thought that tobacco smoke "opened the lungs" and so before major hill climbs the peloton would light a cigarette and pass it around. I can't think of anything worse...

Of course smoking is bad for cardio fitness, but training matters more (until you're old and your lungs just totally give out). All of those smoking bikers would leave us in the dust with a cigarette dangling from their lips.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

cebrail posted:

I'd like to add that a more upright position also provides a better view of your surroundings than an aerodynamic one. An aggressive drop bar road bike gets annoying really fast if you constantly have to look ahead and to your left and right imo. It's the main reason I don't use a road bike for city commuting.

Am I misunderstanding drop bars, but aren't the hoods and tops of a drop bar basically equivalent to a flat bar? I've always seen drop bars as flat bars with some extra hand positions if you want to be more aerodynamic, there are casual rides when I never even bother going to the drops.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Google Maps bicycle layer? It's pretty good about distinguishing protected from unprotected paths, not sure about freeway ramp intersections.

Also scanning a route quickly with Street View can provide some context the overhead map doesnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mikemelbrooks posted:

what do you recommend using to remove the glue left behind after removing tubeless rim tape? I have tried acetone, meths, white spirit and petrol, and only succeeded in making glue bogeys.

More meth always gets things cleaner.