Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i caught myself doing something when playing smt 3 today, that I think I do when I play most jrpgs. When waiting to be attacked I sometimes hit a button, A or B in this case and sometimes my character will dodge the attack. this introduces a weird confirmation bias in my mind like hitting the button is actively a mechanic of the game that is undocumented and I am helping my guy dodge even though I pretty sure its just dice rolls.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

someone told me there was a certain order you could hit the ? blocks in SMW's little bonus rooms to get the 1-up every time. even though it clearly didn't work every time i still did it that way for years in case it had any effect

edit: these ones.

i googled to get a pic and the first thing i found was a way to get 1-ups every time. except its you're supposed to hit a corner precisely with a cape spin. maybe it's real but i don't trust it

big deal fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 15, 2021

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

b_d posted:

someone told me there was a certain order you could hit the ? blocks in SMW's little bonus rooms to get the 1-up every time. even though it clearly didn't work every time i still did it that way for years in case it had any effect

i googled to get a pic and the first thing i found was a way to get 1-ups every time. except its you're supposed to hit a corner precisely with a cape spin. maybe it's real but i don't trust it

That’s just prudent gaming

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're supposed to let go after the 3rd wiggle.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

b_d posted:

The order is randomized iirc so the first tip is bullshit. The cape thing does work (you basically hit it from the side instead of below, bypassing the "you hit the wrong one, dumbass" check), the precision comes basically in not jumping too high so you'll pass through the platform

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you're supposed to mash the a button

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

UP and B actually

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Food Boner posted:

i caught myself doing something when playing smt 3 today, that I think I do when I play most jrpgs. When waiting to be attacked I sometimes hit a button, A or B in this case and sometimes my character will dodge the attack. this introduces a weird confirmation bias in my mind like hitting the button is actively a mechanic of the game that is undocumented and I am helping my guy dodge even though I pretty sure its just dice rolls.

if I'm stuck getting the same random encounter over and over, I go into the menu and do something because I'm convinced it gooses the random seed in some part of my brain. it's because if you use save states in the NES dragon quest games, if you reload a state and take the same actions, the same thing will happen every time. if your dude dies to a critical hit and you reload, you have to change something or he'll just day the exact same way. so it became a force of habit for me when I'm up against bad rolls

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

if I'm stuck getting the same random encounter over and over, I go into the menu and do something because I'm convinced it gooses the random seed in some part of my brain. it's because if you use save states in the NES dragon quest games, if you reload a state and take the same actions, the same thing will happen every time. if your dude dies to a critical hit and you reload, you have to change something or he'll just day the exact same way. so it became a force of habit for me when I'm up against bad rolls

A lot of games still work the same way so this isn't really a bad idea tbf

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I'm savescumming on Jump King. I love gaming pain but it would just take too much time otherwise

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I try to use it sparingly, only in unfairly hard games and levels, but I will use the rewind feature on the NSO NES/SNES/Genesis games

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Joan posted:

I'm savescumming on Jump King. I love gaming pain but it would just take too much time otherwise

that seems like its defeating the purpose of the game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Joan posted:

then whats the point? honestly

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just watch someone else do it while you play Elmo’s Fantastic Counting (Extra Deep State Dept of Education edition) on twitch TV my dear sir.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Joan posted:

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I never played getting over it. Is that the best one of these?

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Fungah! posted:

then whats the point? honestly

Well it's still punishing because I have to start the game back up every time I die. And I still get to experience all the challenges

Professor Latency posted:

I never played getting over it. Is that the best one of these?

I loved it. Made my hands the sweatiest of any game I've played

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Joan posted:

Well it's still punishing because I have to start the game back up every time I die. And I still get to experience all the challenges

I loved it. Made my hands the sweatiest of any game I've played

you're missing out on the escalating tension that comes with progress that is inherent to the design

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don’t fully understand the appeal of save scumming for Jump King because I don’t see the appeal of the game outside of the challenge. The mechanics aren’t incredibly satisfying, the story is non-existent, there just doesn’t seem to be a lot there. It’s like save scumming Flappy Bird.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It’s too bad a lot of the games that I think would benefit the most from non save scummed play throughs are buggy and often poorly designed UI pieces of poo poo. Like Elder Scrolls and Stalker (Mind you it’s still in my top 3 games) and so on.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
in ff6 i got to the end point where i have to split my characters into groups and i had some ppl pretty low level and/or didnt want to grind for exp or whatever, so i just stopped playing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

despite owning and enjoying Zelda games for most of my life I never finished one until Link Between Worlds, just a bit before BotW came out

I have since finished a bunch of them but I went a real long time just starting and never finishing a Zelda game even though I liked them

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

link between worlds is one of the best

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nutmeg posted:

in ff6 i got to the end point where i have to split my characters into groups and i had some ppl pretty low level and/or didnt want to grind for exp or whatever, so i just stopped playing.

the big secret to FF6's final dungeon is that you only really need like 5 or 6 decently leveled up characters (like level 35ish or so is enough) and they can carry your 3 groups through without much issue, especially if each group has a really strong magic user spamming Ultima to wipe random encounters real fast

b_d posted:

link between worlds is one of the best

Yeah it's really good and I had a lot of fun with it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

i messaged the bot in the first level things like "i'm gonna kick your rear end," "eat my rear end," etc three or four times until it replied "you seem to be obsessed with rectums" and i never typed a message to thm again

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Harrow posted:

the big secret to FF6's final dungeon is that you only really need like 5 or 6 decently leveled up characters (like level 35ish or so is enough) and they can carry your 3 groups through without much issue, especially if each group has a really strong magic user spamming Ultima to wipe random encounters real fast

Yeah it's really good and I had a lot of fun with it

Epic av.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:cheers: Sham Hatwitch ftw

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Harrow posted:

:cheers: Sham Hatwitch ftw

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the suikoden post reminded me that, for reasons passing my understanding, i always confuse the suikoden series with the shining force series. there should be no reason for it. they do not have similar titles and they are not similar games. i have never played one of them or even seen it referenced often and i played the other one because my wife had fond memories of it as a kid and wanted to show it to me. even now i had to look up which was which (shining force 2 was the one we played, i've never seen anyone play any suikodentitle). i don't know how it happened and five years of trying to fix it hasn't helped. by tomorrow, i will remember that i made this post, but not which game series was which.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

I still do the down + B thing whenever I play a Pokemon game. It's like a good luck charm even if I found out when I was still a kid that it wasn't a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Uncle Frank posted:

I still do the down + B thing whenever I play a Pokemon game. It's like a good luck charm even if I found out when I was still a kid that it wasn't a real thing.

It's not a real thing because you're supposed to do up + B.