Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
So, last Friday I did some laundry that I forgot about, as I was feverishly working to finish my Important Document. Monday night, I open it, and realize that the water hadn't drained. Wednesday, I pulled most of my clothes out. Thursday, I leave a message with the office. Friday, I call again, and get a person to describe my stagnant water to. They say that they'll take care of it Monday.

Last night, Hanna hit us. Somehow, my apartment got only a drip-drip from my ceiling fan. My friend, and many of our neighbors, had their ceilings collapse from water damage, allowing water to flow into them freely. Shingles torn from roofs leaving holes. One parking awning crumpled onto a truck.

So, I spend the day helping my friend and getting stoned. Eventially I convince him and some others to join me in my truck, to survey the damage around town and rubberneck for youtube. We are a convoy now. As we're leaving our street, I can't start my car,. I clann and dry the battery terminals, which fixes the problem. So, i think it's in my terminals, and I continue with confidence.

We drive arouns town, get some good shots. About a 15 min drive (regular) from our house, my truck stops again. This time at a light. I clean and 'dry' the posts again as cars drive around us, and we limp to a corner store. From here, I cannot start my truck.

Our convoy buddy takes a listen. My 'starter' was shorted by the water I had been plowing through. The computer, which kept the starter from getting too hosed, was restarted each time i unhooked the battery, allowing it to work. I keep turning her over, and eventually lose all power.

Then, my buddy tries to tow me with two ties he weaved together. It comes undone, leaving me in the turn-out from the corner store, in what must have been 3-4 feet of water. So, we do the next best thing, and my buddy circles around and starts pushing me from behind with his truck. We make it out, and slowly start inching down the street.

At this point, we're limping along, barely alive, as the winds and rain start picking back up with a vengence. Rain is lashing my bare face (windows stuck in doe6n position) i can barely barely see in front of me because both my glasses and the windshield are waterlogged on both sides, so I'm driving blind propelled by the guy behind me who is trusting me to steer us. My friend next to me is extremely done with the whole thing, and has already called his father to come pick him up from my truck. I'm exhilarated

We make it back, against all the odds (passing 3 cops who chose to benignly mind their own). I take a shower, my friend jets, and I pledge a top quality quiche to my buddy and his girlfriend. I join my other neighbors' bbq for the complex, dance to tejano and edm, and have a very fulfilling taco dinner, like a flourish on the night's 't'.

And now, I share my story, as I stew in this god-awful stench of water stagnant in my washer for a week and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat I haven’t made a quiche in forever that just made me think about that lol. :munch:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
What I thought about was my shame that I thought Romania was landlocked well away from any hurricanes

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Hmm feels like making the decision to drive your non-boat vehicle around town in 3 feet of water would have avoided a lot of trouble for you.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Well, hindsight's 20/20

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
And I can't hear or read the name "Hanna" without thinking of the movie Hanna, and the part where the romanian grandmother says "Hanna"

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Well that makes me feel better about my lack of Romania knowledge if you're not there, though I did not feel bad enough to look up earlier

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Well, I'm glad i could make you feel slightly better

As for the quiche, I'm thinking alsatian style, aka caramelized onion and garlic

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
[southern hick accent] Montana [/southern hick accent]

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Daikloktos posted:

What I thought about was my shame that I thought Romania was landlocked well away from any hurricanes

Black Sea hurricanes are the deadliest in the world.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

drat I haven’t made a quiche in forever that just made me think about that lol. :munch:

heck same

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The romanian timezone sucks!

Its 10 hours different from me, I have to schedule my meetings at 8 AM whenever I need to talk to our romanian teams!!!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Everybody in our romanian offices owns though. they're actually all trailblazers and will pretty much always be the ones to volunteer to use new features

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
All of the early adopters of my horizontal pod autoscaling initiative are romanian. they own. I've never met a dumb romanian engineer

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Grape posted:

Black Sea hurricanes are the deadliest in the world.
Whether this is true or a joke or not if I ever get a chance to say it I will, to seem smart

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Methanar posted:

All of the early adopters of my horizontal pod autoscaling initiative are romanian. they own. I've never met a dumb romanian engineer

Do you build cloning vats for black sea dolphins?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i didn’t read the op i just want to know what Hanna sounds like or means in romanian accent

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Since from the sounds of it you were driving stoned, I'm glad your car broke.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
That lady from What We Do In the Shadows does the sexiest fake Eastern European accent. Bye

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Omfg i forgot to mention the green lightning. During the night, all the lighting strikes were green. Like the color green. The whole sky turning green at twelve oclock at night

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I also forgot to describe the feeling of walking into thw wind. Just wind rushing past yout body, a uniform push on every oart. The ankles, and shoulders and hands and face, all with an equal push
And you walk into it, and the wind blows harder, and you walk harder, and the wind blows harder

Until you're like, pushing and not making much progress, but some. Crazy

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Nu cred că sunt uragane în România.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TL;DR

can we get a summation mate?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Wendigee posted:

TL;DR

can we get a summation mate?

he thought his washer was the refrigerator and poured a tub of chili into it with his pants, inventing chili pants

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Cubone posted:

he thought his washer was the refrigerator and poured a tub of chili into it with his pants, inventing chili pants

Breh bae-sycle-ee

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inverted Icon posted:

Omfg i forgot to mention the green lightning. During the night, all the lighting strikes were green. Like the color green. The whole sky turning green at twelve oclock at night

That sounds like a trip. :rznv:

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
It was and is a trip. They have us housed like refugees in a hitel while my realty group tries to stall on letting us kno know thr units are totally unlivable until after rent is due on the first, presumably in full. They're letting me break, because I already see whats coming. Not all of my fellows are listening to me, though

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait you live in romania right? Can’t you just live in a Gypsy camp and commute to work or whatever? Like just bank everything. :thunk:

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
That's likely to be close to what ends up happening

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Bramble posted:

Hmm feels like making the decision to drive your non-boat vehicle around town in 3 feet of water would have avoided a lot of trouble for you.

bramble in these uncertain times where our future may be cut short in an instant, i want to say ive always admired your av.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Wait you live in romania right? Can’t you just live in a Gypsy camp and commute to work or whatever? Like just bank everything. :thunk:

Man please go to a group of Roma people and call them that, post video please tia.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Justin Credible posted:

Man please go to a group of Roma people and call them that, post video please tia.

Why? Are people ashamed of being Gypsies or something? :thunk:

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Why? Are people ashamed of being Gypsies or something? :thunk:

this is can of worms in europe.
really racist brain eating worms.

actually make that can a barrel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015