Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats the best computer case/?
original IBM 5150 case
Lian-Li Goku 420 MicroATX
666 penis
all cases are bullshit
View Results

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

lets all just admit it.

modern computer cases are mostly bullshit.

here's the most popular case on newegg apparently.
https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-c-tempered-glass/black/

here's another popular one - https://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-PC-O11DW-Tempered-Computer/dp/B07F9TC5W7

first of all, no ability for a side panel fan. side panel fans can and do reduce temps on the gpu, vrms, etc. we've abandoned that for glass bullshit.

secondly, lets talk the front panel. there's no 5.25 or 3.5 bays, which is fair enough, but you know what you could do with them? USB ports.

these cases only have 2 usb 3 ports on the front and the rest are on the back, which isn't always easy to reach.

at least some cases attempt to address this, like this =

this case has the motherboard rotated 90 degrees so the io ports are on the top instead of the back which kinda helps, i guess.

but let's address the real issue here. despite many people abandoning optical drives, and cases abandoning the need for 5.25 drive bays, we are still going with cases that seem to be designed for optical bays and then just have the bays removed. like, where's all the weird designs? at least theres a few cases that try to do some interesting poo poo but mostly its the same bullshit as 20 years ago. sure, there's mesh and radiator mounting options, and now we've got ~~glass panels~~ so you can circlejerk your RGB leds

personally i wouldn't mind having an optical drive anyway because sometimes i do use them. be cool if a case had a small area to take a laptop optical drive or something.

anyway thanks for waiting i'll take a whopper and fries

post pictures of weird computer cases here, if u have some. thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I miss Lian Li's older cases where they'd just be some folded steel and some grilles for cooling because they realized that sometimes you just want a case that doesn't look like utter poo poo

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
gently caress the recent trend of putting only 1x USB-A and 1x USB-C on the front

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i want more ports on my pc front than i have gently caress holes is that too much to ask

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it's not a real computer if it fits under your desk

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The ancient Egyptians used them to store games.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This one means you don't need to turn on antialiasing sharpening in your games.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

it's not a real computer if it fits under your desk

that lian li makes me laugh out loud erry tiem

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

this is too drat sexy :swoon::swoon:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I have never seen a grater case

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

cattes disapprove

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This one means you don't need to turn on antialiasing sharpening in your games.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I want a meshify c without the tempered glass nonsense but can't find it in stock anywhere

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i think i played some rounds of ut on this map

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-z9PidYH4E

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

akadajet posted:

I want a meshify c without the tempered glass nonsense but can't find it in stock anywhere

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352085

tbh, this is the case i actually have

still bullshit tho lol.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we don't do side fans any more because we dont run loving p4 northwood nuclear flamethrower CPUs and seven 500gb wd black rust drives drawing 300w idle power. It's just not needed any more

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

we don't do side fans any more because we dont run loving p4 northwood nuclear flamethrower CPUs and seven 500gb wd black rust drives drawing 300w idle power. It's just not needed any more

yea but what if you're still running an intel cpu

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Stick an AIO on it and mount the radiator on the top vent, problem solved.

btw gently caress cases that require removing the entire front to get the fans out. Looking at you coolermaster.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i like this one, op

its what the mac trashcan should have been. Cables exit out the bottom. Power & usb on top. It doesn't have any front or back.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

case dude: "ok so jony where should we put the power cables and stuff?"

jony: "on the back, duh"

case dude: "ohkay but, uh, the case is a cylinder sooooo"

jony: "Did I loving stutter? I said put it on the BACK, goddammit, i've got fuckin tee time, figure it out poindexters"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm just glad cases are smooth black obelisks now, because they spent a good 10 years looking like poo poo from a Beksinski painting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sweevo posted:

Beksinski

took me a minute to remember that this isnt cliffyb

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I noticed a lot of cases now have "feet" or short legs on the bottom. I hate that, I want a case with a uniformly flat bottom so I can rest it on top of something narrow (like another case) without worrying about whether all the feet are contacting. Like below. (I have the cases between furniture/objects so they won't fall sideways.)

| C |
| A |
| S |
| E |
| 2 |
=====
| C |
| A |
| S |
| E |
| 1 |

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Number_6 posted:

I noticed a lot of cases now have "feet" or short legs on the bottom. I hate that, I want a case with a uniformly flat bottom so I can rest it on top of something narrow (like another case) without worrying about whether all the feet are contacting. Like below. (I have the cases between furniture/objects so they won't fall sideways.)

| C |
| A |
| S |
| E |
| 2 |
=====
| C |
| A |
| S |
| E |
| 1 |

HAF stacker case, designed for this purpose

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

pretty sure modern high-performance CPUs have eclipsed Prescott for wattage

but then modern heatsinks and fans are way fuckin' beefier than what we were using back in the P4/Athlon days too

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Sweevo posted:

i'm just glad cases are smooth black obelisks now, because they spent a good 10 years looking like poo poo from a Beksinski painting

i dont mind the black obelisk look but it kinda sucks that if u want anything other than black or white there's not many, if any options

id kinda like a dark purple case or something.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

computer case? i usually like a nice craftsman style

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hell, i'd compute on it

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

didn't know B&O made computers now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody Pom posted:

didn't know B&O made computers now

any computer you use is a BO computer lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this is that guy rn: :supaburn:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nothing personal dude, just business

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i think the main reason for no side fans is because tower coolers dont work like that. now that everyone has figured out heatpipes, you dont need the fan sitting right on the cpu. a tower that sticks into the front-back airflow is going to allow a bigger fan and more heatsink surface area so who needs a side fan

aint using a thermaltake volcano cooler anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Raluek posted:

i think the main reason for no side fans is because tower coolers dont work like that. now that everyone has figured out heatpipes, you dont need the fan sitting right on the cpu. a tower that sticks into the front-back airflow is going to allow a bigger fan and more heatsink surface area so who needs a side fan

aint using a thermaltake volcano cooler anymore

its good for gpu temps tho

watch the long hair man explain this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ffD32S7aA&t=875s