Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats the best computer case/?
original IBM 5150 case
Lian-Li Goku 420 MicroATX
666 penis
all cases are bullshit
View Results

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Hed posted:

Supermicro SC750A, because a full tower is what a WORKSTATION needs.
I had a Cheetah 15k.3 with a Bay cooler too lol.

I swear workstation towers in the late 90's got tall just for dick waving reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also airflow and ease of access reasons

if you show one with nearly no hardware in it it looks ridiculous, but with most of the drive bays populated, even that thing would be cramped to work on and with wide ribbon cables airflow was difficult to maintain.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've had one of these for the last 15 years, and i can't see myself replacing it unless the form factor changes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

OP imo computer cases are better than they've ever been, you can get weird poo poo, tiny ITX cases, bigass mega towers, glass, metal, whatever and it's all cheaper and better made than ever. if your taste is beige plastic then i'm sorry you had to leave 2003

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

OP imo computer cases are better than they've ever been, you can get weird poo poo, tiny ITX cases, bigass mega towers, glass, metal, whatever and it's all cheaper and better made than ever. if your taste is beige plastic then i'm sorry you had to leave 2003

also most of them have really nice built-in cable management and air filters that cover all the openings. new case designs are really great.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im thinking of buying a junked //c and shoving a mac mini in it cause i found this company that builds a //c keyboard to usb adapter bridge board

ugh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the best computers had their own built in keyboard

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this was my first computer case

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it’s hideous

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i've had one of these for the last 15 years, and i can't see myself replacing it unless the form factor changes

need that firewire and floppy huh

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug
toot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
every case is bullshit now because of the trend of rgb everything enjoy your circus computer

even lian li doesnt make the pc60 anymore in favor of a dumb steel box with rgb

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nzxt/phanteks/fractal etc all sell non-rgb cases try harder

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

every case is bullshit now because of the trend of rgb everything enjoy your circus computer

even lian li doesnt make the pc60 anymore in favor of a dumb steel box with rgb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pram posted:

need that firewire and floppy huh

the floppy is just a 5.25" bay, so that's got a spacer in it now. i was actually using the firewire up until june, for an external dac

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

sometime around idk 2010ish i had a cooler master centurion 5. that was an altogether "OK" case. no frills but also a complete lack of bullshit.

it doesn't compare to modern cases but for the time it was affordable, readily available, had a simple design, and wasn't too cheaply made. there were a few versions and revisions but they sold this thing for like 10 years or more.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hed posted:

Supermicro SC750A, because a full tower is what a WORKSTATION needs.
I had a Cheetah 15k.3 with a Bay cooler too lol.

inwin q500
at one point i had every external drive bay filled:
  • floppy drive
  • plextor cd reader
  • yamaha cd writer
  • zip drive
  • dvd drive
  • creative live drive that i used one time to hook up a midi keyboard
it had a huge, obnoxiously loud exhaust fan too

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

SO DEMANDING posted:

sometime around idk 2010ish i had a cooler master centurion 5. that was an altogether "OK" case. no frills but also a complete lack of bullshit.

it doesn't compare to modern cases but for the time it was affordable, readily available, had a simple design, and wasn't too cheaply made. there were a few versions and revisions but they sold this thing for like 10 years or more.

oh my god
this loving case

the front mesh grills were placeholders not held by clips, anything would knock them easily into the case
front power button was also not flush with the case so depending on location it might get bumped accidentally or on my case clipped off completely

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i used to buy whatever cheap poo poo case was big enough to hold the components. i've owned plastic crap you wouldn't believe. i used to use the no-brand PSUs that came with £20 cases.

then i bought a Fractal Define R2 and the scales fell from my eyes and i was enlightened

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

aeflux posted:

oh my god
this loving case

the front mesh grills were placeholders not held by clips, anything would knock them easily into the case
front power button was also not flush with the case so depending on location it might get bumped accidentally or on my case clipped off completely

i did not encounter these problems as my case sat on my desk undisturbed

the hell did you do with yours?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

this case has the motherboard rotated 90 degrees so the io ports are on the top instead of the back which kinda helps, i guess.

but let's address the real issue here. despite many people abandoning optical drives, and cases abandoning the need for 5.25 drive bays, we are still going with cases that seem to be designed for optical bays and then just have the bays removed. like, where's all the weird designs? at least theres a few cases that try to do some interesting poo poo but mostly its the same bullshit as 20 years ago. sure, there's mesh and radiator mounting options, and now we've got ~~glass panels~~ so you can circlejerk your RGB leds

i really never thought about this and you're right. i have this case with a big rear end front face that can't open, but i have 2 USB ports, and they're on the top. this is stupid.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

fart simpson posted:

this was my first computer case

:respek: I still have this fucker, in black, sitting in my closet now housing an atom itx NAS server. I don't even remember whether it's the Antec or Cheiftec version. The only things that are truly out of date on it are that the PSU is at the top and it has 80mm fans everywhere

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I think I cut myself on every cheap case from the early-mid 2000's , blood everywhere on those lovely plastic things with their stamped metal

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

SO DEMANDING posted:

i did not encounter these problems as my case sat on my desk undisturbed

the hell did you do with yours?

listen, buddy, when i knock over my piss bottles it goes everywhere

i worked for an MSP several years ago and one of the clients had someone prior to us build them a bunch of desktops with these cases
they were in shared work areas so you can imagine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when my little bro was like 13 he was over at his friends house while they worked on a computer. the case was one of those kinds with the U shaped sides + top. anyways they had taken the cover off and he was leaning back in his chair and fell back and caught the case right with the meaty bit of his forearm. his friends mom ran into the room and there was so much blood she puked lol. he got like 22 stitches

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have sacrificed much blood to the computer gods

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a plain black metal antec case with no lights or glass panels and the sides open with one thumbscrew. it works great.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

man i haven't seen anyone recommend an antec case in ages, wonder what they've been up to...

oh

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

SO DEMANDING posted:

man i haven't seen anyone recommend an antec case in ages, wonder what they've been up to...

oh

:wtc:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

never go full gundam head

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

That poo poo is $350 and no, it doesn't swivel itself open on a bunch of crazy articulated arms. Nothing moves.

e: sorting computer cases most to least expensive on newegg is a great way to view a graveyard of terrible ideas

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
has anyone from the mechanical keyboard branched out into computer cases and is selling CNC'd ones for like $800 apiece?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jimmy Carter posted:

has anyone from the mechanical keyboard branched out into computer cases and is selling CNC'd ones for like $800 apiece?

why bother spending money CNCing when you can just thumbscrew a bunch of laser cut aluminum together and sell it for $500

https://www.mountainmods.com/product_info.php?products_id=463

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

That poo poo is $350 and no, it doesn't swivel itself open on a bunch of crazy articulated arms. Nothing moves.

e: sorting computer cases most to least expensive on newegg is a great way to view a graveyard of terrible ideas
so it's just...constantly open to the air like that?

:wtc:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

side panel fans, huh?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

side panel fans, huh?

lmao

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My old case. Dumb milspec aesthetic, unfiltered vents on both the top and sides, and all of said mounts had lovely rubber washers that degraded over time. The holes were too big to screw in fans without them.

drat near unbreakable mind you.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lmbo if youre not just strapping your xeon computer to your porch

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SO DEMANDING posted:

oh

that’s one of the worst cases ive ever seen