Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats the best computer case/?
original IBM 5150 case
Lian-Li Goku 420 MicroATX
666 penis
all cases are bullshit
View Results

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've forgotten, did they not do audio out over the adc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the harmon kardon speakers were usb but those cinema displays had usb from the adc connection and im pretty sure they intended for you to connect the speakers to that hub

pram
Jun 10, 2001
g4 quicksilver is better anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

the harmon kardon speakers were usb but those cinema displays had usb from the adc connection and im pretty sure they intended for you to connect the speakers to that hub

that might be what i was thinking of, because i remember product shots with the speakers connected to the og apple cinema display

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

infernal machines posted:

i've forgotten, did they not do audio out over the adc?

no, but it did do USB so you could ostensibly plug your USB audio dongle into the monitor but "usb audio dongle" itself is stupid.
Not even 2020 apple is dumb enough to ship units without a 3.5mm. Macs, anyway.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

pram posted:

achusally they have a weird... not quite 3.5 but 3.5-ish plug that plugged into a USB adaptor for the cube and earlier systems, while the G4 digital audio and later had.a special plug for them.
Source: I have a. pair.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pram posted:

g4 quicksilver is better anyway

the b&w style case was a triumph of case design and looked playful yet serious while being easy to open and upgrade parts

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

g4 graphite was the best.

I have a DP/500 with the matching display. loving owns. The only downsides are only one optical bay (not really a problem, but at the time it meant you couldn't have a CD-RW and DVD-ROM) and limited PCI slots (fixed in the Digital Audio release)

I actually found a PC with the same design paradigm once but it was a lazy cheap piece of poo poo that relied on standard cables and parts so it didn't work nearly as well and the short PATA cables got in the way and made it unusable.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

so what u guys are saying, is that apple stuff looks really nice but isn't very practical

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, for a couple years in the late 90s and early 00s some of their products were actually really well made

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

akadajet posted:

so what u guys are saying, is that apple stuff looks really nice but isn't very practical

no the g4 graphite absolutely is practical, so was the Mac mini and the G3-G5 towers, the Mac Pro, right up to the 2012 MacBook Pro.
The G4 is notable for having a 30 second installation for a wireless card, in 2000 that's cool loving stuff. That years powerbook too.

ADC also owned but was unable to carry the higher wattages and pixel densities and well, good as it is DVI + USB makes far more sense than trying to do that, and also power, over one cable.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 13, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would really like to find an old graphite G4 case and put a windows computer in it, but I suspect that they don't have very adequate cooling for all these newfangled geforces and threadrippers.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, that tower design is a revelation compared to the beige models. i have a pizza box style g3 as well and it is a chunky sharp metal puzzle compared to the g3 and g4 towers

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I would really like to find an old graphite G4 case and put a windows computer in it, but I suspect that they don't have very adequate cooling for all these newfangled geforces and threadrippers.

they don't and also remember the way it works so well is it has cables wrapped around and behind the board. You'd have to do a ton of work to...

wait a modern pc is just a motherboard and nvme lol

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, that tower design is a revelation compared to the beige models. i have a pizza box style g3 as well and it is a chunky sharp metal puzzle compared to the g3 and g4 towers

there's one that inexplicably requires you to take the power button out to get at the ram lol.

the Mac clones for the most part used that same generic 3x5.25 and 2x3.5 chassis that Dell also used.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i still have my beige g3 tower, it wasn’t as easy as the blue g3 or graphite g4 but still pretty easy to get into.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Midjack posted:

i still have my beige g3 tower, it wasn’t as easy as the blue g3 or graphite g4 but still pretty easy to get into.

i never popped a beige tower, is it more like the standard atx style ones from that time?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i never popped a beige tower, is it more like the standard atx style ones from that time?

pull the side panel off, set on the other side, flip two latches, pull the interior 90 degrees to straight up and the motherboard and pci cards are right there on the bottom. easy to get in there. drive bays had sleds that screwed into the case and held the drive. never cut myself once in it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Agile Vector posted:

i never popped a beige tower
I know, "it happens to everyone".
You can get pills for that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

the real shame is that you will never find one that looks like that picture irl

the perspex yellowed hard if they were ever turned on, or exposed to daylight

no they didn't? at least, mine look fine, although a little scratched and dirty

SRQ posted:

achusally they have a weird... not quite 3.5 but 3.5-ish plug that plugged into a USB adaptor for the cube and earlier systems, while the G4 digital audio and later had.a special plug for them.
Source: I have a. pair.

No.

the g4 imac and powermac used what you're talking about, but the cube is usb all the way

you can't use normal hubs, since they need more than 500mA, but im not sure if it works over adc. easy to check, but i had to clear my old macs table to make my wfh desk :(

SRQ posted:

g4 graphite was the best.

I have a DP/500 with the matching display. loving owns. The only downsides are only one optical bay (not really a problem, but at the time it meant you couldn't have a CD-RW and DVD-ROM) and limited PCI slots (fixed in the Digital Audio release)

I actually found a PC with the same design paradigm once but it was a lazy cheap piece of poo poo that relied on standard cables and parts so it didn't work nearly as well and the short PATA cables got in the way and made it unusable.

imo, the graphite was the ugliest of that case style. the yosemite, with the ligher color and rougher matte texture, was a more cheerful machine. i think the quicksilver and mdd both look better too, cause they're more than just a duller yosemite

also sagebrush please dont kill a g4 to make some boring modern pc out of it. it would require some work if you want slots, too, because they mount backwards compared to atx. i guess with the right riser boards you could make something work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

also sagebrush please dont kill a g4 to make some boring modern pc out of it.

Lol a PowerPC mac is not some rare and unique artifact of computer history. The case is the only desirable part of it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

Lol a PowerPC mac is not some rare and unique artifact of computer history. The case is the only desirable part of it

no, but it's cooler and more interesting than some normal intel/amd modern machine

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

the transparent casing on everything is so ugly i love it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion (or clear plastic)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Raluek posted:

the g4 imac and powermac used what you're talking about, but the cube is usb all the way

but I said the cube required the adapter in my post that you quoted :p

also real talk pressing down on the release and pulling the internals out is one of the most Sci Fi feelings ever.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

jokes on you in about 30 years

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SRQ posted:

but I said the cube required the adapter in my post that you quoted :p

also real talk pressing down on the release and pulling the internals out is one of the most Sci Fi feelings ever.

the socket on the speaker dongle thing is just a regular 3.5mm, not the not-quite plug i thought you were talking about, though

maybe we're talking about two different things

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what if you just shoved a bunch of lovely computer components into a briefcase???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9675Q-aD6-Y

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

no they didn't? at least, mine look fine, although a little scratched and dirty

that's impressive. i've never seen one that's been used that wasn't cloudy/yellowing from heat/uv

how's the top look around the vent?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

edit: wrong thread how embarrassing

akadajet fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 13, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

that's impressive. i've never seen one that's been used that wasn't cloudy/yellowing from heat/uv

Oh

Oh

Oh dear

Oh my

The yellowing... was the apple logo still visible? Was the unit on top of the radiator?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, i've seen maybe a dozen of them irl, and presumably they weren't all on top of radiators. they just tended to get really hot if they're left running all the time and it fucks up the perspex.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

get me outta this whack rear end etc

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i always wanted to get an old g4 cube case and make it into a tissue box holder, but the time you could get cheapish parts on ebay is long gone i'm pretty sure

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fine, just a bit dirty and scuffed from use/storage. they definitely arent untouched showpieces

the 450MHz is fine

and the 500MHz has a little bit of cracking around that left fastener (all of the innards hang from them)

neither has any discoloration. the yellow tint at the bottom of the pictures by the optical slot is rainbow due to diffraction through the angled cut

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nice.

pm me if you ever decide to sell one

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

apple computers you could open, that takes me back

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the most badass apple computers were the ones where you could slide out the entire motherboard because it had a big edge connector on it and they were mostly compatible across the different models so you could stick a powermac motherboard in a color classic with a bit of hacksawing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RemzAqFoXrc

Edit: that case is $300 :eyepop:

Edit 2: the amazon related items also definitely belong in this thread:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 3, 2020