Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't wait for Mike Ashley to have been the Saudis all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
If you think about it, the owners are the dissident journalists that are dismembered along the way.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Troy Parrott (young irish striker) is going to millwall on loan for a year from spurs. Hopefully he can actually stay fit. I think Ol;iver Skipp will go to fulham on loan but it's not confirmed yet.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Interminable transfer saga contender #2: Klopp and Guardiola locked in a vicious, sweaty, grunting struggle for the right to drop £70m on Diego Carlos. My initial thought was that he would pick City over the champions of England and Europe but my only reasoning for that was 'more Brazilians at City' so who knows.

Also Man United are trying to find someone to take Sanchez off their hands and the article reminded me that they're paying him £400k a week lmao

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
what about a straight swap for ozil

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also a bit of basic research tells me that Liverpool and Man City currently have the same number of Brazilians so it really is anybody's guess

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought Alexis did well at Inter. Nobody’s gonna take over a 400k contract obviously but at a discount, I’d be surprised at the lack of more interest.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
the man u over-30s have been lighting up serie a this term. sanchez has grabbed four goals in 28 games, putting him ahead of ashley young on three

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
City have apparently had a £40m bid accepted for Nathan Ake. I'd assumed they'd go higher profile, but that does seem a good signing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tarbrush posted:

City have apparently had a £40m bid accepted for Nathan Ake. I'd assumed they'd go higher profile, but that does seem a good signing

Good defender for a little bloke.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Beautiful hair too. I get nostalgic for Ruud Gullit every time I see him.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big Dutch Nathan Ake

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've watched a decent amount of Ake the past few years and I'm not sure if he's City standard. He cuts a good figure on his own and doesn't make many mistakes these days, but he's also the leader of a Bournemouth defense that sure looks very shaky a lot of the time. He doesn't seem to excel at organizing the defense if nothing else, but I suppose that doesn't have to be his job either. It would be interesting to see how he does with a better backline and just less work to do at City I suppose.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1288809025061224448

It's a done deal. I've no idea if he's any good.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I've watched a decent amount of Ake the past few years and I'm not sure if he's City standard. He cuts a good figure on his own and doesn't make many mistakes these days, but he's also the leader of a Bournemouth defense that sure looks very shaky a lot of the time. He doesn't seem to excel at organizing the defense if nothing else, but I suppose that doesn't have to be his job either. It would be interesting to see how he does with a better backline and just less work to do at City I suppose.

cant be worse than john stones

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Dutch defense is going to be fully sick come the euros, it owns

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Her Dryer posted:

Can’t be worse than joe hart who was rumoured to be going there

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

oliwan posted:

The Dutch defense is going to be fully sick come the euros, it owns

The CBs were already VVD and De Light. Don't see how this changes anything.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Her Dryer posted:

Even for a Celtic kit that’s awful. Bloody hell.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Should have gone with 'Barkas is willing' smh

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Her Dryer posted:

that's quite a shirt

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Hoo boy it’s going to be a big summer for Arsenal. Arsenal desperately need central defenders and central midfielders. Fortunately, the club have a war chest of absolutely gently caress all to plug these holes.

On the players out front, Arsenal are stacked to the gills with players that need to be offloaded, but all of them are too highly paid for any other teams to be willing to pay for, or even accept them on loan. Of course, Arsenal’s best player could very well leave.

You have to love it, OPs.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The last time Arsenal were this poo poo we signed Dennis Bergkamp and went on to win the league in 3 seasons. Can't see that not happening again tbh especially as we have an Ian Wright replacement in Auba just need to figure out who the Bergkamp stand in is.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
we have signed dele in a done deal

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
man city superstar teenager fisayo dele-bashiru that is

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

Can’t be worse than joe hart who was rumoured to be going there

I am very glad we did not sign Joseph "Joe" Fart, the man who cannot save shots to his left

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Flayer posted:

The last time Arsenal were this poo poo we signed Dennis Bergkamp and went on to win the league in 3 seasons. Can't see that not happening again tbh especially as we have an Ian Wright replacement in Auba just need to figure out who the Bergkamp stand in is.

Surprise! You get Willian.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

brocked posted:

Surprise! You get Willian.

I’m going to be so goddamned pissed if we sign Willian, or really any forward or winger (other than Auba obv)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Will-i-an is good though

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
newcastle deal has fell through

saudis: never

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

kcer posted:

Who could have possibly seen this coming

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kcer posted:

Soccernet has more:

quote:

Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund has withdrawn its bid to buy English Premier League club Newcastle after the process was stalled by concerns about piracy by the kingdom and human rights complaints.

The league has spent four months considering whether to approve the £300 million takeover that would have seen Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund gain an 80% take in the northeast club.

The British-based Reuben brothers and financier Amanda Staveley were planning to each buy the remaining 10% stakes to end the ownership of retail entrepreneur Mike Ashley.

"We have come to the decision to withdraw our interest in acquiring Newcastle United Football Club,'' the consortium said in a statement. "We do so with regret, as we were excited and fully committed to invest in the great city of Newcastle and believe we could have returned the club to the position of its history, tradition and fans' merit.

"Ultimately, during the unforeseeably prolonged process, the commercial agreement between the Investment Group and the club's owners expired and our investment thesis could not be sustained, particularly with no clarity as to the circumstances under which the next season will start and the new norms that will arise for matches, training and other activities.''

The Premier League never gave an indication on the progress of the stalled takeover and when it would make a decision.

"As often occurs with proposed investments in uncertain periods, time itself became an enemy of the transaction, particularly during this difficult phase marked by the many real challenges facing us all from COVID-19,'' the consortium said.

Amnesty International asked the league to consider blocking the bid because the fund was overseen by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and said he has been involved in a "sweeping crackdown on human rights.''

The takeover bid was also complicated by the World Trade Organization recently ruling Saudi Arabia failed to stop a broadcasting operation pirating sports coverage -- including of Premier League games -- and blocked moves to shut it down in a proxy of the Gulf economic and diplomatic dispute with Qatar.

The Qatar-owned beIN Sports network, which is banned from operating in Saudi Arabia, holds the Middle East rights that are being pirated by beoutQ.

The Premier League wrote to the Office of the United States Trade Representative in February to highlight the lack of legal action taken by Saudi Arabia over beoutQ despite complaints.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh Newcastle. :allears:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not really what you want whe nyou try to buy a football club

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1288157579923816448

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

not really what you want whe nyou try to buy a football club

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1288157579923816448

This is like when Leeds got bought by Arabs, but the only Arabs with no money.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

Will-i-an is good though

He’s fine but Arsenal have a lot of talent across the front three and not a lot of money so buying in that area is not the best idea.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

He’s fine but Arsenal have a lot of talent across the front three and not a lot of money so buying in that area is not the best idea.

When did Aubamayang learn to play football like Bugs Bunny plays baseball?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

CyberPingu posted:

The CBs were already VVD and De Light. Don't see how this changes anything.

has de ligt stopped doing a handball every match yet

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Karl Sharks posted:

has de ligt stopped doing a handball every match yet

Yes, and he's been largely quite good. However since the restart he's been forced to play with all sorts of injuries, including with a shoulder that keeps separating, and he hasn't gotten surgery. So honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he breaks down physically by the Euros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
DONE DEAL: Brighton have signed Joel Veltman from Ajax for £900k

A Dutch international the right side of 30 with 250 appearances for Ajax for less than a million quid? That seems like a quality bit of business imo