Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Final Table:

Its almost August and we are still using the June thread...

Anyway we have like 6 weeks until the start of the new season (suck it teams still in Europe, enjoy your "break") then after that we have about 14 months of continuous football until after the Euros.

RIP Norwich, Watford & Bournemouth. Utd backdoored themselves into a CL spot thanks to Brendan "Bottle Job" Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I for one am glad that the plucky underdogs of Manchester United won the top 3 trophy.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't believe villa stayed up, meanwhile Newcastle were just sort of respectable which is miles better than I was expecting with Brucey in charge and no players

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man, united

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
fuckin weird season all round, unsurprisingly, but I'm deeply disappointed that the top 4 ended up being such a boring samey group after Leicester and Wolves did so well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
martin dubravka owns and was rightly given newcastle player of the season. its ridiculous how good he is considering he'd just been in eastern european leagues before benitez signed him. he's nearly made more appearances with newcastle than any other club too which considering he's 31 and we're only like the 4th club he's played for is a bit weird

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

martin dubravka owns and was rightly given newcastle player of the season. its ridiculous how good he is considering he'd just been in eastern european leagues before benitez signed him. he's nearly made more appearances with newcastle than any other club too which considering he's 31 and we're only like the 4th club he's played for is a bit weird

I remember his debut against United, I was like "where the gently caress did this guy come from"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Rafa loves a random Eastern European signing

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hes aged well

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Rafa loves a random Eastern European signing

Up pops a smiling Andriy Voronin

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The 19/20 season was a great success*

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Rafa loves random Eastern Europeans so much that when he left Liverpool he unsuccessfully tried to intercept his own signing from a Liverpool pre-contract to go to Rafa's new club, Inter, instead. And that player's name?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbtbUHRXyY

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
was it voronin who got real mad at scouse accents?

heady days, those. later that afternoon bellamy chased his teammates about with a golf club

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
norwich losing 10 matches in a row is something not even derby did in their worst ever points total season lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Liverpool won the league, according to sources.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

Liverpool won the league, according to sources.

Huge if true

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

About as believable as Leicester or Blackburn winning it lmao

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
pooshited #pooshited

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

glad to see plucky underdogs manchester united barely squeak their way into champions league football by *checks notes* finishing with the same points tally they did last season. truly a club on the rise.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

an_mutt posted:

glad to see plucky underdogs manchester united barely squeak their way into champions league football by *checks notes* finishing with the same points tally they did last season. truly a club on the rise.

Does that mean if you retain the title next season but by fewer points you'll give it back?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53560879

Klopp named LMA manager of the year

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

:rolleyes: typical

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ole was robbed

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

i'm interested in this league again now that universally beloved club Leeds are back WHERE THEY BELONG

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

an_mutt posted:

It was a weird season for everyone but Liverpool in terms of consistency, Burnley and Sheffield Utd were in with a Europa shout, and to be honest one of them might’ve made it without the condensed schedule, extra subs & some very sketchy refereeing decisions - all of which helped out the bigger clubs.

At least one disallowed goal & red card for Sheffield Utd that had no justification that I remember.

Chelsea looked like jokers one week, world beaters the next, still came third.

My treasured memory of the season is Pogba being scared of the ball and giving away a handball penalty.

I look forward to Arsenal losing in the cup and being without European football again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

wooger posted:

It was a weird season for everyone but Liverpool in terms of consistency, Burnley and Sheffield Utd were in with a Europa shout, and to be honest one of them might’ve made it without the condensed schedule, extra subs & some very sketchy refereeing decisions - all of which helped out the bigger clubs.

At least one disallowed goal & red card for Sheffield Utd that had no justification that I remember.

My treasured memory of the season is Pogba being scared of the ball and giving away a handball penalty.

I look forward to Arsenal losing in the cup and being without European football again.

I don't think it's actually been that weird.

The big issue is that City (and now Liverpool) have set insane standards the last 4 seasons that now a sub 90 point season for City looks bad. When thats actually fairly normal

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

literally unbelievable that none of their cameras captured this obvious angle

https://twitter.com/Johnnyriggers/status/1273332121713721346

Dragging this over from the old thread, but as I said at the time, if Hawkeye can't see enough of the *edge* of the ball it can't determine where it is and so can't give the goal, and there's no part of the edge of the ball that isn't obscured. It's a known flaw of automatic camera-based systems, and why Hawkeye themselves say that the final decision has to be with the ref.

The fuckup here is on the match officials and VAR. The assistant ref and ref were both in a position to tell the ball had completely crossed the line, and VAR likewise, and all had the power to give the goal but chose not to.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Dragging this over from the old thread, but as I said at the time, if Hawkeye can't see enough of the *edge* of the ball it can't determine where it is and so can't give the goal, and there's no part of the edge of the ball that isn't obscured. It's a known flaw of automatic camera-based systems, and why Hawkeye themselves say that the final decision has to be with the ref.

The fuckup here is on the match officials and VAR. The assistant ref and ref were both in a position to tell the ball had completely crossed the line, and VAR likewise, and all had the power to give the goal but chose not to.

its bystander syndrome op

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The refs were told that they cannot give the goal if the watch doesn’t go off. It’s a ridiculous policy but it’s not on the refs.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The refs were told that they cannot give the goal if the watch doesn’t go off. It’s a ridiculous policy but it’s not on the refs.

Cowardly to not just give it anyway imo. It is still on them to not give an obvious goal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Cowardly to not just give it anyway imo. It is still on them to not give an obvious goal.

I agree in principle but if you do the right thing and it’s against what the PGMOL said to do, you’ll be reffing conference games for the rest of your career.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

wooger posted:

*Munich Sandwich signal goes off, I hit the Fanmobile and crash into thread* Chelsea came fourth OP

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I will also drag over from the last thread

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bundy posted:

*Munich Sandwich signal goes off, I hit the Fanmobile and crash into thread* Chelsea came fourth OP

Ah, who knew!

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

The big issue is that City (and now Liverpool) have set insane standards the last 4 seasons that now a sub 90 point season for City looks bad. When thats actually fairly normal

City's terrible season this year had them score the same number of points that Leicester scored to win the league 5 years ago. There are five other premier league seasons where that points tally would have beaten the winners. It really wasn't that bad.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Myssu posted:

City's terrible season this year had them score the same number of points that Leicester scored to win the league 5 years ago. There are five other premier league seasons where that points tally would have beaten the winners. It really wasn't that bad.

Thats exactly what i said, its just because of the insane point tally they set the last 2 make it look bad, but its actually a relatively normally "good" season.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Thats exactly what i said, its just because of the insane point tally they set the last 2 make it look bad, but its actually a relatively normally "good" season.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
actually i think if vvd had been appropriately reffed it would have been very different

Weedle
May 31, 2006

disappointed that wolves barely missed out on the top six again but at least slightly fewer of our losses were to poo poo opponents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
As a terrible, grunting, disease ridden American I'm looking forward to a full season of Pulisic. Should be tasty. Never come home, Christian! Stay far away from the plaguelands!