Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Karl Sharks posted:

i'm guessing his wages would make him a pretty expensive 4th choice

Yes, the preference would be to get rid of Mustafi, but that does not really seem possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

der shovel made up some insanely fraudulent fact that man utd was the immigrant’s club of choice because they were historically very famously anti-racist (despite leading the charts in racism related arrests) and when asked to provide a source he linked a white paper that cost $60. Then the white paper was posted, and it has absolutely nothing to support der shovel’s positon and he never brought it up again.

lol

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

der shovel made up some insanely fraudulent fact that man utd was the immigrant’s club of choice because they were historically very famously anti-racist (despite leading the charts in racism related arrests) and when asked to provide a source he linked a white paper that cost $60. Then the white paper was posted, and it has absolutely nothing to support der shovel’s positon and he never brought it up again.

First of all it's worth noting that the "it's a massive shame" part comes directly from leading the racism charts today thing, considering their reputation back in the day.

I said that a lot of black and asian immigrants in the Midlands in the 60s started supporting clubs including Manchester United and Liverpool, because they faced so much racism among the supporters of their local clubs, and were more welcomed elsewhere. Racism in the Midlands in the 60s is pretty much a matter of public record at this point considering even the BBC did a retrospective on the issue 40 years later.

And I'm sorry I don't have encyclopedic memory of all the papers I read during my years at university, especially for a paper I wrote on a minor subject. I'm also sorry you can't move past this traumatic event and heal.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Der Shovel posted:

. I'm also sorry you can't move past this traumatic event and heal.

:ironicat:

"I'm not owned" he screams as he slowly turns into a white paper

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

First of all it's worth noting that the "it's a massive shame" part comes directly from leading the racism charts today thing, considering their reputation back in the day.

I said that a lot of black and asian immigrants in the Midlands in the 60s started supporting clubs including Manchester United and Liverpool, because they faced so much racism among the supporters of their local clubs, and were more welcomed elsewhere. Racism in the Midlands in the 60s is pretty much a matter of public record at this point considering even the BBC did a retrospective on the issue 40 years later.

And I'm sorry I don't have encyclopedic memory of all the papers I read during my years at university, especially for a paper I wrote on a minor subject. I'm also sorry you can't move past this traumatic event and heal.

Lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Don’t try to drag Liverpool into your nonsense. Here’s the quote in case you forgot:

Der Shovel posted:

I mean I'm sure there are racists among the United supporters, but traditionally the United crowd have been famously anti-racist to a point where in the 60s, 70s and 80s a lot of Asian immigrants from all over England started supporting United, because at their local clubs (in cities like Birmingham) they got tons of racist abuse, but were welcomed by the United supporters.

You’ll note the lack of any mention of Liverpool, or black immigrants, only in the 60s, or only specifically mentioning the Midlands. You’re basically trying to rewrite your post lmao

Also, here is the white paper you linked:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/acc7/b3f0ee698537eb2984d23fd919425bb3fbbb.pdf?_ga=2.157593278.564338543.1595259068-1502359029.159525906

It also has no mention of this nonsense. Who cares about Midlands racism in the 60s in this context? You’re making up poo poo about how immigrants from all over the entire country supported man utd because they were the brave anti-racist club, nothing to do with the Midlands specifically.

In summary,

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?s=20

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 25, 2020

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
*adds “$60 white paper” to therayparlourmemes.xlsx*

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
brutally owned, imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Are you seriously rewriting your old post like it wasn't quoted on the very last page? Lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think der shovel may have been referencing footnote 72 of that book

quote:

The Sun (27 May 1999) noted of Manchester United’s support at the 1999 European Cup Final in Barcelona that there were banners from ‘. . . Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malta, Holland, Norway, Sweden and Hawaii. There were groups from Glasgow, Leighton Buzzard, Hastings, Swansea, Northampton, Bury and Salford – not to mention the Hesketh Arms, Southport’

but it seems less like "utd's club culture is famously anti-racist" and more like "they're cool with asians i guess"

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Der Shovel posted:

I'm also sorry you can't move past this traumatic event and heal.

Take the L and stop digging

Or don't, that's quite funny

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I've been to the Hesketh Arms in Southport and it didn't immediately strike me as a beacon of anti-racist or pro Man U sentiment. They did a lovely plate of gammon and eggs though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

in their defense i have on several occasions horribly misremembered something i read about for a college paper, while being convinced that i was correct because i read about it for a college paper

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Weedle posted:

i think der shovel may have been referencing footnote 72 of that book

but it seems less like "utd's club culture is famously anti-racist" and more like "they're cool with asians i guess"

I honestly don't know if that $60 book was the original source I read back in the day or not (and I said as much at the time), because I don't have academic access at the moment due to COVID and can't access full texts. I still don't know, because I still don't have academic access to full texts and haven't read it. It was an article on the oral histories of Asian immigrants in British football culture, and how many of them had inherited a non-local club from their dads and granddads, because back in the 60s they were not welcome at their local Midlands clubs, but found more welcoming support elsewhere, including United.

And really, that was the point I was originally trying to make (and think I made, if you're not trying to read it with the worst possible interpretation): it would be a massive shame if United's supporters had turned into racists, considering back in the day Asian immigrants were well received there. But apparently that is a horrifically shocking claim to make?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 25, 2020

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
In vaguely lolworthy news, Liverpool are down 2-0 after 15 minutes to Salzburg in a friendly

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Liverpool was sort of a mini colony for the Confederacy during the American Civil War and was where the last Confederate holdouts surrendered from. Makes you think

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I think we can all just agree that Dee Shovel has been brutally owned and move on while occasionally referencing white papers at intervals sufficient to maintain its lolworthiness and not run it into the ground.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
you don't have to be a racist club to be a racist but mancchester united are racist

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tarbrush posted:

In vaguely lolworthy news, Liverpool are down 2-0 after 15 minutes to Salzburg in a friendly

Rhian is a girl's name Brewster saves the day.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Gotta love Big Brew. Two tasty goals.

I seem to remember you not having high hopes for him when he went to Swansea (or did I read that in a white paper?).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Newcastle won 3-0 so top 4 is on the cards now

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bewbies posted:

Liverpool was sort of a mini colony for the Confederacy during the American Civil War and was where the last Confederate holdouts surrendered from. Makes you think

Also owned by a Boston based sports company.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Brewster knows where the back of the net is but he's limited otherwise. Will score a lot of goals in any side that can afford a passenger up top (not for lack of effort he's just slow and weak and selfish).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lmao
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1298294112815325186

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
dOnT YoU KnOw WhO I AM

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

that was fast

Wasn't he arrested a few days ago

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

that was fast

I have every faith in the integrity of the Greek legal system.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Greece let’s you buy your way out of sentences so he’ll be fine.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

that was fast

His lawyer got the list of chargers two hours before the trial started today and he's already been convicted lmao

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

TheRat posted:

His lawyer got the list of chargers two hours before the trial started today and he's already been convicted lmao

You'd think he'd be better at organising a defence

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

sebzilla posted:

:hmmyes:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

sebzilla posted:

I've watched him play...

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

sebzilla posted:

You've clearly never seen him play. It's amazing they didn't give him the chair.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
As a Chelsea supporter, I believe Der Shovel. I recognize a non racist club.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

lol

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Greece let’s you buy your way out of sentences so he’ll be fine.

That was one of the charges

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

brocked posted:

That was one of the charges

You can only bribe your way out after the conviction for bribery, it’s all very legal and very cool

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/FootballJOE/status/1298636011052949507

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
those are some white middle aged anti vaxxers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

I haven't watched soccer Saturday in a while, are these 3 still the regulars and if so I can't wait for some new voices and perspectives all my favourite ex-liverpool players getting a payday