Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Final Table:

Its almost August and we are still using the June thread...

Anyway we have like 6 weeks until the start of the new season (suck it teams still in Europe, enjoy your "break") then after that we have about 14 months of continuous football until after the Euros.

RIP Norwich, Watford & Bournemouth. Utd backdoored themselves into a CL spot thanks to Brendan "Bottle Job" Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53560879

Klopp named LMA manager of the year

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

wooger posted:

It was a weird season for everyone but Liverpool in terms of consistency, Burnley and Sheffield Utd were in with a Europa shout, and to be honest one of them might’ve made it without the condensed schedule, extra subs & some very sketchy refereeing decisions - all of which helped out the bigger clubs.

At least one disallowed goal & red card for Sheffield Utd that had no justification that I remember.

Chelsea looked like jokers one week, world beaters the next, still came third.

My treasured memory of the season is Pogba being scared of the ball and giving away a handball penalty.

I look forward to Arsenal losing in the cup and being without European football again.

I don't think it's actually been that weird.

The big issue is that City (and now Liverpool) have set insane standards the last 4 seasons that now a sub 90 point season for City looks bad. When thats actually fairly normal

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Myssu posted:

City's terrible season this year had them score the same number of points that Leicester scored to win the league 5 years ago. There are five other premier league seasons where that points tally would have beaten the winners. It really wasn't that bad.

Thats exactly what i said, its just because of the insane point tally they set the last 2 make it look bad, but its actually a relatively normally "good" season.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Nope, the opposite, they are not owned by the Saudis.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Mods rename me Howay-Atolla

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lmao if anyone here thought that Newcastle fans were genuinely advocating Saudi war crimes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Narrator: BFB was infact, owned.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kroke underpays staff and denies them healthcare. Which will kill people but that's ok because death by captialism is fine.

FSG loaned the CIA jets to bring "terrorists" to Gitmo. And profited off the banking crisis in 08. Which killed people, again, ok because death by capitalism. Have probably funded a couple of coups in Africa

Mike Ashely underpaid staff, tried to keep sports direct open as a "urgent business" directly putting staff in harm's way during a loving pandemic

Glazers. Hedge fund profiteers who have probably financed one or two civil wars around the world. Also have Sanchez 400k a week.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Whos ready for round 2 of UEFA vs City

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/der-spiegel-claims-new-manchester-city-emails-cast-doubt-on-cas-verdict/ar-BB17nETT?ocid=msedgntp

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

But then how would you know it's a sponsor and not just part of the strip?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The Mash posted:

I mean the Walmart people are bloodsucking garbagemen who should be thrown into a bottomless pit, sure, but like, the poo poo in Yemen alone makes the Saudis some of the worst people of all time

Athanatos posted:

Get your poo poo together, thread. Take your slap fights to PMs, post about premier league instead of whatever the hell has been happening the past few pages.

Figure it out.

Also I couldn't decide if I should say 'Soccer' or 'Football' in this post so I'm really not the person you want deciding how long of probations to hand out for "off topic bullshit" while your mod is on vacation. Self correct!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

They should have been relegated for breaking ffp rules to get promoted in the first place. A £5m fine is barely a punishment.

Everyone knows FFP is a joke. Haven't you been listening?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Vegetable posted:

What’s the alternative here? Fire Kolasinac into the sun to keep the marketing team at 100% staffing?

Every business has to make tough decisions about employment. The demand should be for clubs to provide good severance packages rather than for them to keep unnecessary staff around.

Ask your Billionaire owner to not vacation in the Maldives this year?

Ask the players to defer more pay to keep other staff?

Run a pledge drive?

Also lmao at "unnecessary staff" I guarantee you who needs their wages more and it ain't the loving players

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 5, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

These types of cuts are usually followed by a "record profits" announcement in a few weeks right?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Weedle posted:

i don't understand why people like kroenke aren't like, well ok, i'll just pay all these people's salaries out of my pocket for a while because it'll make me look like a really great guy and i'll still have like 7.9 billion dollars left over or whatever. i mean i do, they're pathologically greedy, but even if you're a totally craven bastard you should still be able to recognize an opportunity to buy yourself some positive pr

They don't give a poo poo about what the English press thinks of them.

This is a side project that if he gets bored will dump it and go.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

Think you found the line between Kroenke and the Glazers, one sees value in PR one does not I guess.

I think the Glazers understood what FSG learned (by force) recently, that these clubs are more than just businesses. They are communities and have grown from communities and by loving them over or not treating them right you will get a lot of backlash.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

How many journos has he beheaded and how many 911s has he committed tho. Newcastle fans are actual retards

Can we please not do this again...

Take your loving slapfights to DMs if you have to.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Seriously, we go through this argument every 2 days.

Either take it to its own thread or to a DM because its just going round in circles.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jose posted:

Kanye West buy Newcastle it'd end extremely badly but would be fun

https://twitter.com/S_McCormick95/status/1291656592379830272?s=19

Rename the Milburn stand the West End

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

kcer posted:

no

half the posts on the topic are you crying about it

Athanatos posted:

Get your poo poo together, thread. Take your slap fights to PMs, post about premier league instead of whatever the hell has been happening the past few pages.

Figure it out.

Also I couldn't decide if I should say 'Soccer' or 'Football' in this post so I'm really not the person you want deciding how long of probations to hand out for "off topic bullshit" while your mod is on vacation. Self correct!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

The replies to that post seem to think Dyche and Hasenhuttl should be in there. I haven't watched any Burnley or Southampton but Hasenhuttl seems to have taken Southampton from comedy clown club to respectable and Dyche has just sort of carried on as normal?? Lol that even the premier league agree that Pep is a bald fraud unworthy of even being nominated though

Pep has had an unremarkable year by his standards. A far 2nd, 2 tinpot trophies (which are outside the "league" anyway). Some average performances to low table clubs.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

Wolves got dinged for FFP violations and will have to play with a smaller squad in Europe. Someone forgot to tell them that you need to cover your losses with fake sponsors.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/07/wolves-must-cut-squad-if-they-qualify-for-europe-after-ffp-breach-uefa

Same first offense as City got.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Lol loving media.

A direct quote from Ole: ‘if I could lift a trophy as Manchester United manager it would be the proudest moment of my life’.

The press reporting:

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/1292211934280982530

Sounds pretty spot on tbh.

He was a sub for most of the treble so really got carried to it. Bar the 2 CL goals, which were really a product of Bayern falling asleep more his skill. Kinda like Utd getting 3rd this year.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jason Sextro posted:

this sounds like ninpo bait imo

good bait, mind you

It's 100% not a Ninpo bait post.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jason Sextro posted:

ftr I agree with everything in it

So you should. You are a smart person.

The only reason Ole was given the job in the first place is because he's "one of the favoured bunch" and the Utd higher ups spooged themselves after he beat noted bottlers PSG in the CL. It certainly wasn't on his managerial credits.

Hes punching way above his weight with a team that this year stumbled and bumbled their way into the top 4 because Rogers can't close out a loving season.

Either his good will will wear off or Utd will continue being a 5-6 placed team. Either is fine by me

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It's the pattern you get on the bottom of a swimming pool.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ah yes it looks the exact same.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Mesut's going nowhere and he's seeing out his contract. He's going full Bogarde and this can only end with him having to turn out for the under 12s

Him and Bale are living the dream

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

bewbies posted:

it's always strange to me when teams won't just pick up the bulk of the guys salary to let them move on. like even if arsenal is paying 200k of his salary as he's playing elsewhere, that is still saving them 150. surely someone would employ him for 150?

It's the principle I'm 100% sure.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If only it were that cool

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Yes we did get a star for that

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Watching you try to make this a thing will warm the cockles of my heart for years to come.

Make what a thing. I don't get it.

He's surely referring to the star we got after winning the 6th CL.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

oliwan posted:

that's not a star, it's an asterisk, because the op forgot the asterisk

I don't get it

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Should've been Greenwood or Rashford IMO.

Lol

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

I'm saying they would both have been perfectly acceptable choices after having good seasons as attackers.

If Trent hadnt been in the league then sure.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

TAA is in the running for best player in the world at his position.

Rashford and Greenwood, not so much.

But you see Wan Bissaka.....

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Precisely.

I don't really have a problem with Alexander winning it, he had a fine season, and "should have been" is of course a bit pointed, but IMO Henderson, Rashford and Greenwood would all have been viable choices. And as Shrapnig points out, they were in fact on the shortlist so all is well.

I think everyone basically took umbrage with your very liberal use of the word "should have". It makes you look like a gigantic homer.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Klopp named manager of the season https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53791614

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

:hmmyes: