Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Goons rarely agree on anything, to the point where if you make a post saying that Jimi Hendrix was a pretty good guitarist you could probably count to 5 before someone tells you actually, he was very bad.

However, in 2018 Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures became possibly the 3rd thing that everyone on this site agreed was actually good. Thread

And there's no surprise, for a dumb movie B&TEA has surprisingly smart writing, it's insanely positive and optimistic, and everything from casting to music was spot on. Bogus Journey took the crazy path of fighting against studio desires to rehash the same formula, and instead went with something completely out of leftfield. Both movies also have incredible third acts that end everything in the most perfect way possible.

Ed Solomon has always wanted to go back to the well, stating before it he could he would visit the franchise 'every 5 years'. It feels that waiting for nearly 30 years is the perfect opportunity to complete the trilogy, having a great story outline rather than just the desire to cash in on nostalgia.

quote:

Bill and Ted were told at 16 that they were going to be the greatest people who ever lived. That they were gonna write a song that is going to save the world, and it hasn’t happened. And now they are middle-aged men. They’ve got wives who used to be princesses in medieval England who are now working double shifts at Denny’s, they’ve got teenagers that are about to leave home, money is tight, and they’ve been chasing this dream, writing song after song, when somebody from the future shows up and says, “You have 24 hours. The fate of all of space/time depends on it – and if it doesn’t happen now, it’s never gonna happen.” Bill and Ted are confused because they know they had to have written it, because after all the people in the future told them they did.. so they just must not have written it yet. So in their desperation they decide their only option is to go into the future – to when the have written it – and to steal it from themselves. What follows is a kind of utterly absurd, Christmas Carol-like journey through their lives past, present, and future. Their daughters (Bill has a daughter named Thea, Ted’s daughter is named Billie) are also very involved in trying to help them.

It’s a total comedy, but I think it’s really, really grounded in the sweetness that is Bill and Ted and the emotion of where they would be at this point in their life.

Alex Winter, who had always been on the fence about doing a 3rd, was sold. Keanu "Never has to work a day in his life if he doesn't want to" Reeves was sold. Original writers were there. Dean Parisot who directed Galaxy Quest is involved. These are all very comforting things for sure.

It was a slow, slow process right down to the fact the release date was soon approaching and we'd barely seen anything about it. The teaser trailer was essentially a moving poster, the 1st trailer felt like a teaser, but finally we got the 2nd trailer that really sells this as being great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gPGeAYo3yU

With it, came the official release date in theaters and VOD of September 1st.

Over the weekend we also got a Comic Con panel hosted by Kevin Smith with pretty much everyone you would hope to be on it - Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, Samara Weaving, Brigette Lundy-Paine, Chris Matheson, Ed Solomon, Dean Parisot, Bill Sadler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgGNBPIk3q8

Smith has seen the movie and gushes about it a fair amount. Whether you agree with his taste is one thing, but I think he comes across as completely genuine as to how much he enjoyed it. To my knowledge it's the first person outside of the production to have talked about how they felt at least. I missed it in the video, but according to a report I read he (accidentally?) said that George Carlin does make an appearance.

So far my favorite film of the year has been Palm Springs, given all the poo poo going on some straigth forward all out fun movie making is needed more than ever. I'm now at the stage where I'm beyond hyped for this, even though it runs pretty short at 78minutes. I guess that'll make it an easy rewatch though! I'm kinda hoping that it's a passing-the-torch movie, and that B&Ts kids might do a future sequel, as it looks like they get into the same adventures as their parents did from the trailer, and I'm a sucker for pulling this kind of cheap move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I hope the movie does better than its trailer made it look. I think I've already guessed how the plot ends up, but they should really focus on the old formula of traveling time to visit other people instead of visiting themselves. If the movie is Keanu and Winters visiting Keanu and Winters then visiting Keanu and Winters then visiting Keanu and Winters the movie is going to get stale.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sum Mors posted:

I hope the movie does better than its trailer made it look. I think I've already guessed how the plot ends up, but they should really focus on the old formula of traveling time to visit other people instead of visiting themselves. If the movie is Keanu and Winters visiting Keanu and Winters then visiting Keanu and Winters then visiting Keanu and Winters the movie is going to get stale.

Looks like their daughters will be doing that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Keanu looks weird clean shaven now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Drunkboxer posted:

Looks like their daughters will be doing that.

Yeah, the daughters seem to be doing the nostalgia/soft reboot stuff with the historical figures and hell visit, while B&T get to do the zany 'alternate us' stuff that's different enough to how it was done in BJ. I'm hoping they ride a good line between the nostalgia and original ideas without leaning too heavy on either side.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think there's a reason they went with the backs of their heads for the poster. It's amazing just how little Alex Winter has changed over the years, but Reeves (because it tickles me that's how Alex Winter always refers to him) took a bit to get used to. When he says he's tired in the trailer, yeah... he looks and sounds it for sure.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's because he grew the beard to hide the fact that he's developed jowls. Which is fine; he's a 55 year old man.

I'm kind of sad that Bill and Ted's daughters are apparently both daughters, since one of the actors is nonbinary, and it would be neat (and very Keanu) if they did something with that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, the daughters seem to be doing the nostalgia/soft reboot stuff with the historical figures and hell visit, while B&T get to do the zany 'alternate us' stuff that's different enough to how it was done in BJ. I'm hoping they ride a good line between the nostalgia and original ideas without leaning too heavy on either side.

Yeah, I figure from the trailer the reveal is the Preston and Logan that write the song are the daughters not Bill and Ted

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bill & Ted was a huge movie in my young eyes - I freaking loved it and I believe it set me on my musical taste path and general attitude about life. I loving love em.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The soundtrack to Excellent Adventure was my first ever CD

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Vintersorg posted:

Bill & Ted was a huge movie in my young eyes - I freaking loved it and I believe it set me on my musical taste path and general attitude about life. I loving love em.

Same here, I used to watch Excellent Adventure with my extremely non-heinous grandmother on repeat and she loved it. She’d constantly quote “be excellent to each other” and some of my fondest childhood memories are watching Bill and Ted with grandma. I’m extremely looking forward to this sequel, even though I’m sure it won’t surpass the original. If it’s as good as Bogus Journey I’ll be happy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kinda opposite, my parents let me rent out a movie after going to my granddads funeral and oh boy oh boy there’s a new Bill and Ted movie!

Oh.

It might be why I don’t quiiiiite like it as much as the first still, but I love the final act so hey.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I want this to be good so much, but I just saw it only has a run time of 78 minutes?

Well, at least if it’s bad, it’ll be over quick...

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 9, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...yeah, what? Not even a full 90!?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
78 mins is a handsome length for a movie and I wholeheartedly approve.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've read that Bill and Ted have 78 minutes to write the song that causes the Utopian Future, but the movie is longer than that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah there's a quote about that -

quote:

In an interview with Empire Magazine, director Dean Parisot revealed that the time-traveling adventurers will only have 78 minutes to save the world.

“We’ve gone from a homework assignment to saving all space and time,” Parisot said. “We bypassed all those possible traumas in the middle. They have an hour and 18 minutes. So they’re in trouble. And let’s say that they have to travel all over the place to try and figure it out.”

So, could be the whole movie is in real time or perhaps someone made a mistake and that's the runtime that's been copied everywhere. I was hoping it would be on the BBFC website, as that would contain the runtime from a copy screened for rating purposes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I imagine that it could be in real time but then there's the lead up to it/conclusion after it happens that could pad out the runtime.

Edit: Also the release date got bumped up to the 28th.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 10, 2020

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Reading the synopsis in the OP has me pretty pumped. Excellent Adventure was a staple in our history class off-days back in 2003/04. I held off on grabbing the blu-ray's for the first two because of this going into production. Hoping at worst, we can get some gnarly UHD's out of the first two but I'm really hopeful for how this will turn out.

Honestly, I've been pretty surprised how many 20 year+ sequels have turned out alright. I liked Blade Runner 2049, I've heard Twin Peaks S3 is really good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boywhiz88 posted:

Hoping at worst, we can get some gnarly UHD's out of the first two but I'm really hopeful for how this will turn out.

I have good news for you. I don't know anything about Bogus Journey, but Excellent Adventure was released on UHD in the UK yesterday.

http://blueprintreview.co.uk/2020/07/bill-teds-excellent-adventure-studiocanal/

No region restrictions on UHD, so import away dude.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this! posted:

I imagine that it could be in real time but then there's the lead up to it/conclusion after it happens that could pad out the runtime.

Edit: Also the release date got bumped up to the 28th.

Yeah, still no BBFC entry (which is kinda crazy as it's due in the cinema in the UK on 9/1 still apparently) but I did notice iMDB dropped the 1h18m runtime from their page, so I think yeah it's going to be around the usualy 90 minutes with the 78 minute element within that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have good news for you. I don't know anything about Bogus Journey, but Excellent Adventure was released on UHD in the UK yesterday.

http://blueprintreview.co.uk/2020/07/bill-teds-excellent-adventure-studiocanal/

No region restrictions on UHD, so import away dude.

Rewatched Excellent Adventure for the first time in a long rear end time. Movie still holds up and is funny as hell. There are pretty much just two bits that didn't age well, Bill and Ted calling each other "fags" after hugging and Billy the Kid shooting a gun in the school and nobody really caring.

Also kind of funny how Bill and Ted never twig to the fact that Rufus is totally lying to them about time moving forward even though they're traveling. Its pretty clearly not true/irrelevant seeing as they can go back to previous times they've already lived.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I like to think that Rufus is not dumb/smart enough to have thought of that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is going to be the first Bill & Ted movie that I won't see in a theater and that bums me out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bill and Ted do eventually figure it out seeing as the end of Bogus Journey is them taking a break to actually learn how to play instruments and then coming back.

Also, hot drat was 80s Alex Winter a total smokeshow.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Winter/status/1295033536504684544?s=20

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

howe_sam posted:

This is going to be the first Bill & Ted movie that I won't see in a theater and that bums me out.

This was gonna be my first in theaters :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The first B&T has a good entry about the issues in the IMDb Goofs section

quote:

There is a heinous number of most egregious anachronistic errors in the depiction of the famous historical dudes, their lives, their works, their time periods and the state of their hearing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Why is Cinema Sins in some kind of print publication?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Theyre fighting to keep print media alive. That's their sin.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

iMDB updated runtime to 1hr 31m. That seems more like it.

Shame with just over a week left there's not much else to talk about other than the runtime, but hey! UK release date got pushed back to late September if your'e over there. That's crummy.

It's also fun to see people on moviechat.org (which inherited the iMDB forums) and Twitter moan about how they won't see the film because it's "too woke", like they thought after all this time the dudes would go on to become loving Proud Boys or something.

e: oh hey, here's a new clip. Kristen Schaal's character revealed to be Rufus' daughter https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2552854/bill-and-ted-face-the-music-clip-reveals-kristen-schaals-backstory

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

What is supposedly "too woke" about it? That their daughters are characters in the movie?

e: honestly "be excellent to each other" is basically the antithesis of conservative thought so B&T was always "woke" in that sense

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Colonel Whitey posted:

What is supposedly "too woke" about it? That their daughters are characters in the movie?

e: honestly "be excellent to each other" is basically the antithesis of conservative thought so B&T was always "woke" in that sense

This is pure conjecture, but I'll spoil just in case.

it seems likely that the daughters will be the "Preston and Logan" that write the song that save the universe, not Bill and Ted themselves, and thus they are the real heroes of the story, which would piss off the people who think adding female protagonists to stories is somehow "woke"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's literally that. And the fact they're pretty unlikely to use a gay slur this time around.

Literally seen people frothing at the keyboard "but-but-but at the end of Bogus journey they had sons!". Not even the greatest argument even if the names still make sense for the daughters, and the fact the babies were both girls...

quote:

It's not men, Bill and Ted, save the world, it's their daughters.

Didn't they see new Ghostbusters? Terminator? Charlie's Angels. Go woke, Go broke.

Hard to tell if trolling or just incredibly dumb, esp given the Charlie's Angels bit.

e:f;b

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

99.9 % of people who post about movies on the internet have a bad case of the brokebrains.

are the princesses in this movie? I haven't been following the marketing too much. Would be cool to see a big six piece family band

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

99.9 % of people who post about movies on the internet have a bad case of the brokebrains.

are the princesses in this movie? I haven't been following the marketing too much. Would be cool to see a big six piece family band

Yeah; Erinn Hayes and Jayma Mays are playing them this time around

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah and they're in couples therapy in the trailer.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That's great, I thought they would be conspicuously absent based on the little bit I've seen. Is everyone watching this on release day? I'm planning on it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

iMDB updated runtime to 1hr 31m. That seems more like it.

Shame with just over a week left there's not much else to talk about other than the runtime, but hey! UK release date got pushed back to late September if your'e over there. That's crummy.

It's also fun to see people on moviechat.org (which inherited the iMDB forums) and Twitter moan about how they won't see the film because it's "too woke", like they thought after all this time the dudes would go on to become loving Proud Boys or something.

e: oh hey, here's a new clip. Kristen Schaal's character revealed to be Rufus' daughter https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2552854/bill-and-ted-face-the-music-clip-reveals-kristen-schaals-backstory

Wow, Samara Weaving has the Ted mannerisms down to a... well, a T.

Also lol that Hugo Weaving’s niece is playing Keanu Reeves’s daughter, that’s a weird connection to The Matrix you wouldn’t expect

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that last reaction from her is perfect Ted for sure. Samara doesn’t feel like she’s doing a Bill impression, which is probably for the best or they’d just come across as clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That was a bit of an awkward and slow clip, and a weird one to lead with. I personally did feel like they were just doing impressions of their fathers. And kinda felt like Alex and Keanu were doing impressions of their respective characters. Hopefully that'll drop away for me pretty quick and I'll be able to settle into it.

I haven't loved anything I've seen out of this so far, and if that clip is any indication I worry that it's going to be stilted and not comedically tight. But even if my fears are founded, I feel like at worst this'll be a good try with a lot of heart.