Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

Xenoblade Chronicles is a game that defied the odds to rise up to greater heights than anyone could have fathomed. Released in 2010 in Japan and developed by MonolithSoft as the latest in Tetsuya Takahashi's collection of RPGs with the Xeno- prefix, this game was the culmination of years of experience and lessons learned from the other Xeno- games. The game launched on the Wii and was one of the first big name RPGs to be released after Final Fantasy XIII famously eschewed traditional exploration for a more streamlined experience, and Xenoblade was a sign that big sprawling adventures could still be made. The game stars Shulk, a young engineer who sets out on a journey to eradicate the Mechon, a robotic army that laid seige to his hometown, armed with the Monado, a mysterious sword that's the only hope the Homs have to stand a fighting chance against the Mechon.

The game was a modest success in Japan, but it seemed that it would see the same fate as Mother 3, as Nintendo of America opted not to localize the title, expecting poor returns for the high investment that they would have had to make to produce the game. Nintendo of Europe took on the title in NoA's stead, but despite this, the game was still denied release on American shores. It took a massive fan-petition, Operation Rainfall, along with an exclusivity deal with GameStop, for NoA to relent and finally release the game stateside. The game enjoyed a lot of positive buzz from very passionate fans and enthusiasts, but the exclusivity deal with GameStop was a striking blow to the game's overall availability; the game released in 2012, about half a year before the Wii U would launch, and GameStop had free reign to sell all of their copies as used with a higher price. Despite everything riding against it, Xenoblade seemed to be a smashing success in the states, enough so that Nintendo would continue to invest in more Xenoblade titles to build a franchise. The game was successful enough to warrant its main protagonist, Shulk, joining the roster of Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS! Then, in 2015, Nintendo was gearing up to launch the newest iteration of their 3DS line of handhelds, the New 3DS, which touted better specs, head-tracking 3D, a full compliment of four shoulder buttons and a C-nub thing to be used as a second stick for games that warranted it. Alongside the announcement of the New 3DS, Nintendo unveiled Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, a port of the Wii original to the smaller handheld. Developed by Monster Games, who had also done the Donkey Kong Country Returns port to 3DS, XBC3D was a game that could punch well above its weight class in bringing the grand console adventure to the smaller handheld. Monster Games had to create a new graphics engine and rebuild all of the environments to ensure the game ran smoothly, but the game ran far better than it had any right to and was an amazing technical success. Unfortunately, as the headliner for a mid-generation console upgrade, it did not do as well as it could have. The next release would be the original Wii version on the Wii U eShop, which should speak for itself.

Which brings us to the Switch release, the Definitive Edition; Nintendo had tapped Monolith to assist with the development of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, having helped out with the original BotW's development years before. Not wanting the staff that wasn't assisting BotW's development to sit around doing nothing, the rest of Monolith began a smaller-scale project to bring the original Xenoblade to life in HD. Built on the engine created for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, XBC: DE boasts enhanced visuals, an updated artstyle, remastered music, a streamlined user interface and many quality-of-life improvements across the board, making this the best way to experience this game. In addition to the enhanced original game, there's a new epilogue chapter, Future Connected, that teases future developments for the series and wraps up some character arcs in the original story.

This will be an informative LP where I show off the main story and as much content as I can manage. I'm joined by my usual co-commentator, Jobbo_Fett, who's going in blind. We're also joined by Artix, who has played about half of this game, and Nine Gear Crow, who has completed this game and is able to serve as a secondary source of knowledge in case I drop the ball on anything. Videos will hopefully go out Mondays and Thursdays, but no promises. I will reiterate, Jobbo is going in blind, so no spoilers. None. Anything seen in updates is fair game, but none of that wink-wink-nudge-nudge stuff going on.

Chapter 01

Chapter 02

Chapter 03

Chapter 04

Chapter 05

Chapter 06

Chapter 07

Chapter 08

Chapter 09

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Future Connected

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
I really love this game.

Hope you can show of everything

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If Chaos doesn't show everything he has to surrender his youtube channel to me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Good luck OP! It'll only take you like 5 years cause this game's long as poo poo!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yay! I love this game! I adore it! I picked it up back when it released stateside on the Wii, thanks to the relentless amount of hype it got right here on the forums. I went out and pre-ordered a copy from Gamestop and gleefully fired it up the day it released!

I have it on Wii, 3DS, Wii U... and I also have the DE. I have played this game probably more than is healthy. But who cares? It's great! I will be following with interest.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I find it endlessly amusing when Americans complain about the "weird" accents in Xenoblade, as for me, a native Brit, I'm just pleased to hear actual British regional accents in a game.

Pretty much all the of the minor voices have popped up in children's cartoons over here, and that just makes it even funnier for me.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Between the two times that I've played it (Wii, Switch), I guess I've put about 320 or so hours into this game. The music is amazing, and is in my top 10 game OSTs.

The improvements are much appreciated, and while there are a few things I wish they had changed, the package itself is still great and worth a play even today.

Edit: 100%ing this game would be a nightmare, let alone for a let's play.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 27, 2020

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Judge Tesla posted:

I find it endlessly amusing when Americans complain about the "weird" accents in Xenoblade, as for me, a native Brit, I'm just pleased to hear actual British regional accents in a game.

Pretty much all the of the minor voices have popped up in children's cartoons over here, and that just makes it even funnier for me.

I thought they were Australian at first.... :cripes:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Judge Tesla posted:

It also helps that a lot of the VAs in the game are trained actors and can deliver really good voicework when they need to. Its a huge breath of fresh air in the normally US dominated game VA. Another good one in the same vein was Last Story.

I love Xenoblade Chronicles and Ill be following this LP intently.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 28, 2020

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
The English cast is so good. I watched some of the scenes in Japanese, but it didn't hit me the same way.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I love this game so much. I hope this is the LP that finally breaks the curse and gets finished.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Accents aren't cockney enough

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Accents aren't cockney enough

The Most Cockney Accent Ever is coming. Be patient.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

animeluva1 posted:

The English cast is so good. I watched some of the scenes in Japanese, but it didn't hit me the same way.

There's a character we'll meet much later (who happens to be the best character), and wow, you're absolutely right in that the English VA plays the role much better.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ChaosArgate posted:

I will reiterate, Jobbo is going in blind, so no spoilers. None. Anything seen in updates is fair game, but none of that wink-wink-nudge-nudge stuff going on.

yeah, just to signal boost this, i will probe anyone doing wink-wink-nudge-nudge stuff... and also jobbo just to make sure their experience remains pure and untainted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Seriously, I've never seen this game be played. Or seen this game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
what game?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This is my favorite JRPG of all time and alone justified buying a Wii even as it came out in the 11th hour of its lifespan. It set a standard for game worlds that I still haven't seen equaled.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sally posted:

what game?

I don't know, I only ever Wompa Stompa'd so I couldn't find out.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How does this game compare to the other Xenoblade games?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's the first one!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

Pretty good, its sequel xenoblade 2 ups the Britishness a bunch with welsh and Scottish party members.
Although the anime level is extensively cranked up as well, so it might not be to your taste.

Xenoblade 2 tries to build on the first games combat system with mixed results.

Oh, and the initial release was very rough because it turns out half the dev team was removed to work on breath of the wild, so there were a lot of updates to streamline and fix menus and UI.

I personally enjoyed it a lot, but there are a lot of issues that you might find significant or minor depending on your taste.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've scant experience with 2, but from what I've seen of the three games the original is the best. Xenoblade Chronicles X had a really killer concept, but tumbled down an Empire State Building's worth of stairs trying to execute it. It made the sames mistakes that White Knight Chronicles did in that it tried to force itself into being a quasi MMORPG when it was clearly not suited to being one, nor on a system (or with a company really) that could handle that kind of online infrastructure, so it sacrificed an actual story on that altar. And the story is what people tend to play Xeno games for.

And because it didn't have one of the key draws of a typical Xeno game and because it came out on the backfire of a system that was the Wii U, X is generally known as the forgotten Xeno game. And it kind of deserves to stay buried. It had a great bright spark of an idea that blew itself out in its first three-ish hours, not unlike Mass Effect: Andromeda did.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
legit Xenoblade seems to me to be the final successful execution of the game/story they tried and failed to tell with Xenogears and Xenosaga. lots of cool ideas and sparks of brilliance but oh so many fumbles. Xenoblade 1 was pure excellence. the sequels are "whats the point" imo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

legit Xenoblade seems to me to be the final successful execution of the game/story they tried and failed to tell with Xenogears and Xenosaga. lots of cool ideas and sparks of brilliance but oh so many fumbles. Xenoblade 1 was pure excellence. the sequels are "whats the point" imo.

This is my exact take and I think I even say that in about as many words in one of the upcoming commentaries. Literally just "You got it right the first time. Why are you taking a mulligan on a hole-in-one? :confused:"

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Check out this old british lady going trough her experience with the xenoblade series.
She might mention some some spoilers but most of seems really charming things about the game that is not spoilers.

The artbook section at the end of the video contains most of the spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VpkwEGLm6s

fadderman fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 30, 2020

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

fadderman posted:

Check out this old british lady going trough her experience with the xenoblade series.
She might mention some some spoilers but most of seems really charming things about the game that is not spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VpkwEGLm6s

Minor thing but i'm pretty sure (based on her history videos) she's german, she just lives in new zealand now I think? Also if you like JRPG's and anime games, she's really lovely.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Stormgale posted:

Minor thing but i'm pretty sure (based on her history videos) she's german, she just lives in new zealand now I think? Also if you like JRPG's and anime games, she's really lovely.

At first i thought she was just speaking a weird formal british accent, but the more i heard it seems be a very formal aussie/kiwi accent

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

animeluva1 posted:

Yeah somehow the shonen-anime styled in-battle shouting is done really well by the english cast, which adds another layer to keeping the battle system fresh.

I'M REALLY FEELING IT

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Vangarre is leaving lots of artifacts with his arm movement. Is that Youtube being Youtube?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Vangarre is leaving lots of artifacts with his arm movement. Is that Youtube being Youtube?

Surprisingly, no! I went and checked my raw footage just in case, but I think the game's graphics engine does some culling of background elements that you shouldn't be able to see, such as when a character is standing in the foreground, but its not quite fast enough to respond seamlessly to characters moving. I noticed something to that effect when I was moving the camera around while the party was standing in front of a waterfall or lake or something when recording the epilogue.

sudonim posted:

Yeah somehow the shonen-anime styled in-battle shouting is done really well by the english cast, which adds another layer to keeping the battle system fresh.

I'M REALLY FEELING IT

Count me as one of the people who are in love with the English dub to the point where the original Japanese dub just doesn't sound as good.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think this game has the tightest focus for its writing, provided an excellent foundation for world exploration and general gameplay that the other two games built off of; not to say that this game's exploration and gameplay is lacking compared to X or 2, but I think overall, 1 has the strongest overall experience of the three.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 30, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ChaosArgate posted:

Count me as one of the people who are in love with the English dub to the point where the original Japanese dub just doesn't sound as good.

Yeah go British or go home! Same with XBC2.

I do like how you can control anybody in this game, and they characters are all (mostly) all fun to play as. It adds nice variety. Fiora is my personal favorite to control but I like playing as most of them.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Wait.
They have HUGE laser cannons against debris from the sky, but can't build a weapon against the resident evil robots?
What are those even made of ?

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
High end mechon-metal, of course. Besides, 'our death-rays don't miniaturize that far' is pretty reasonable as an explanation for not using infantry scale versions of the anti-air batteries.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh nice, I actually played this on the Wii, and the idea of an extra post-game section is interesting.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh wow I've followed the two last attempts to lp this and I've gotta keep an eye on this one too. It's a great game!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

OutofSight posted:

Wait.
They have HUGE laser cannons against debris from the sky, but can't build a weapon against the resident evil robots?
What are those even made of ?
I don't know that it's every explained in detail, in fact I'm pretty sure it definitely isn't, but the capital-M Mechon are distinct organisms compared with just run-of-the-mill hardware which the Mechon may use for transportation. Presumably their artillery can shoot down carrier vessels to keep the Mechon from just landing in the center of town, but once they're on the ground there's not much they can do without Monado support.

Of course there are plenty of flight capable Mechon as well that make this situation pretty untenable. Which is why, as we'll see in the game, Hom-manity hasn't exactly spread across and conquered the Bionis. Folks are pretty cloistered.

EDIT: Watching the video now, I just remembered that I didn't realize you could change your party leader until probably the 60% point in the game, which was exactly the point where playing as Shulk started to get boring for me. So nice work there Xenoblade, I guess.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 31, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Whenever you reach a new location which gets a big title screen, its location on the titan is pinpointed, with a bright dot surrounded by a ring. In this case, Colony 9 is on the lower right (?) leg of the Bionis just above the ankle.

EDIT: An embarassing amount of typos for such a small post.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Whenever you reach a new location which gets a big title screen, it's location on the titan is pinpointed, with a bright dot surrounded by a ring In this case, Colony 9 is on the lower right (?) leg of the Bionis just above the ankle.
!!! I did not know that. Honestly I was never really able to internalize the geography of the Bionis apart from Gaur Plain being the Leg and the marsh being, like, the crotch I think.