Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Being able to do what you can do with Riki is great, Being able to litteraly fling Poppi at anything and make its HP bar vanish in 'Blade 2 is great.

All playable nopon are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oof, Argate, how long did it take to get those shooting stars to show up again after you picked up all the sidequests in Alcamoth? :v:

(There is a UM who only shows up during a meteor shower, and those things never show up when you want them too. Similar to that one UM in Gaur Plain that I forget the name of who only spawns in a thunderstorm.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I legitimately had no idea that shooting stars were a thing at Eryth Sea, much less that there's a UM that spawns under those conditions. That'll be a fun one if I ever go back to do UM cleanup. :negative:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

...I didn't know you could turn around in the upper level of the palace to get to that balcony. I always thought it was a cutscene-only area.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Sabot's are shoes, or a mechanism for firing a bullet a certain way.

Also don't be lazy, get Sharla's heart to hearts.

Quest Jefferson
Mar 27, 2010
I think the Dive Sobat is a play on the Rolling Sobat, which is a kind of jumping spin-kick.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Commander Keene posted:

...I didn't know you could turn around in the upper level of the palace to get to that balcony. I always thought it was a cutscene-only area.

The cutscene balcony is a different one, you can get to it (IIRC) by the transporter in the audience chamber.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Apparently Steve Antiqua was into eugenics.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Commander Keene posted:

Or maybe just selective crossbreeding?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

He also programmed his AI to be condescending instead of answering legitimate questions. "Never mind, look you're here for the shiny right?"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, that sounds like par for the course for the High Entia.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Haven't watched the video yet, but that picture brings me joy.

Hug the spiky pineapple.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Reyn ain't smart

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Always hated this dungeon. The climbing is so slow and there's a lot of it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Always hated this dungeon. The climbing is so slow and there's a lot of it.

And, as mentioned, if you die, get ready to do it all over again!

"But the enemies are largely a joke because you're probably over-leveled." Well, the bottomless pits are level 999 and never miss.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Weeble posted:

Haven't watched the video yet, but that picture brings me joy.

Hug the spiky pineapple.

Have the full raw frame then, because this picture never ceases to make me smile.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

For the record the cut version at ~11:50 isn't, not that you're talking over it all that much.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ah drat, I just checked my project file and saw that I cut the audio to move it down to the uncut audio track, but I never actually moved it. :shobon:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'm morbidly curious now what the full story is behind Xenosaga and it turning into an utter clusterfuck.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Sandman posted:

I'm morbidly curious now what the full story is behind Xenosaga and it turning into an utter clusterfuck.

God, I wish I could find that blog post Soraya Saga wrote about "here's all the poo poo I wanted to do in Episode II/III before I got fired", but it seems to have been scrubbed from the internet, and for probably good reason, because I did a fairly lovely job of summarizing it in the video.

The development of the 'Saga trilogy, to the best of my understanding having lived through it game-by-game, seems to be analogous to the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, in that every game was a radical course correction reaction to the previous installment based on what the Namco brass thought would sell best, and utterly ignoring the fans going "No, just stop loving with it." ...Albeit without all the Nazis who came out of the woodwork with Star Wars.

Episode I was the purest, most distilled from of Xenosaga. It was the game Tetsuya Takahashi wanted it to be, the game he left SquareEnix to make, the game he thought joining Namco would give him the freedom to make. He quickly found out that he'd swapped one lovely master for another and Namco wasn't his new friend after all.

Episode I was also boring as poo poo, up its own rear end convoluted, simultaneously unsubtle and too subtle about things by half, and was actually cut in half because the original trailer Monolith put out for the game featured stuff that didn't show up until deep into what became Episode II, notably the fight between Jin and Margulis and Proto-Ω--neither of which show up in Episode I. After the game dropped, Namco panicked when the reception it got was "it's slow paced, boring, heady, all the anime people look weird, and it's awkwardly silent for 90% of the time you're with it."

So going into Episode II, Namco upended the whole formula. The game was made to be more whiz bang action-oriented. Things happened at a breakneck pace now with ZERO subtlety. The literal encyclopedia that came with the first game was thrown out and everything was dumbed down to the point where it wasn't needed anymore. Everyone got a makeover to try and make them look more realistic and they all wound up falling into the uncanny valley. And Yasunori Mitsuda and his ponderous soundtrack was turfed in favor of Yuki Kajiura's hyperactive techno tracks for the cutscenes and Shinji Hosoe's literal plinky dinky midi files for the overworld and dungeons.

Fans who loved the first game wanted none of this poo poo. And potential new fans coming in fresh to Episode II encountered a game that was broken both in gameplay and in overall presentation because you could actually see the splinters of what they tried to bash away from Episode I still sticking out of it.

When Episode II bombed, Namco panicked yet again and put a gun to Monolith's head and went "You get one more game. Finish your story and don't make it suck this time, then get out."

Again, more radical changes to the formula for Episode III, trying to hold on to what worked (Yuki Kajiura), and punting what didn't (Shinji Hosoe, Ep 2 director Kou Arai, that whole "gently caress off, Soraya, we don't need your whole 'actual script and outline for the series'" thing). The characters were redesigned again and became horrifying human-anime hybrids. The script got heady again and fished a bunch of rejected Soraya plot points up out of the ocean. However, because Namco cut their budget and crunched their development time, you wound up with stuff like literal plot-breaking cutscenes that happen in the gameplay engine with minimal animation so it looks like a drat puppet show.

Despite everything, Episode III was hailed as the best of the trilogy, but by that point the damage had been done and the wound was fatal. Namco dangled the prospect of "Well, if Episode III sells well, we could sign off on an Episode IV", but it didn't and the series died on a whimper fart after being announced from the mountain tops with blaring trumpets.

The bottom line is it was a combination of Tetsuya Takahashi and his crew still not knowing how to make a complete and satisfying game yet, and Namco just not knowing what the gently caress to do with this weird spacey Isaac Asimov novel of a video game project and just sloshing from reactive panic to reactive panic until the series died of septic shock.

There is a happy ending to the story though. Namco and Takahashi eventually mutually told one another to gently caress off and Nintendo swooped in, hired all the Monolith staff and went "You know, I like you, kid. You're the same kind of weird I pretend to be to try and fool people into thinking I'm not a wizned dinosaur in a business suit. I'm gonna let you make whatever the gently caress you want, unsupervised."

And that's how we got Xenoblade Chronicles -- The One Game Tetsuya Takahashi Got Right.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 23, 2020

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

nine-gear crow posted:

(Top grade good posting)

Could you put that in a video or a blog post somewhere? I feel like that's vital information that needs to be spread across all known parts of the Internet.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just want all this poo poo compiled somewhere, Tetsuya Takahashi's eternal struggle to write his six part Magnum Opus about Gnosticism and Humanity and Giant Robots. Some of its in Japan-only databooks and some of it is in old interviews on dead websites and some of it is in a podcast I can't find anymore. Did you know there's a Japan-only cellphone game that takes place a century before Xenosaga? I didn't! There's just so much stuff going on under the hood.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
The centralization of information in one place for convenience, the idea seems to be frowned upon, or maybe foreign, to a lot of these complicated Japanese stories. It's really frustrating.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

That seems to be a thing with Japanese games.

Want to know the backstory of an important NPC? Better watch the Japanese only stage play!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

"Despite all our high technology, we never could figure out gene splicing." - Well, they did seem to figure out the solution, which seems to be breeding in Homs genes.

The High Entia Tomb is a really original take on a "tomb". High tech, brightly lit and cheery.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

"Despite all our high technology, we never could figure out gene splicing." - Well, they did seem to figure out the solution, which seems to be breeding in Homs genes.

The High Entia Tomb is a really original take on a "tomb". High tech, brightly lit and cheery.

I mean, technically, graveyards are brightly lit and cheery when the sun is out!

It has been mentioned that the High Entia Tomb is no longer in use. So was the HET once a huge Matrix-style tomb for dead bird people? Or was it a burial ground for royals? They way it's framed, it seems to just be used as a trial for future Emperors, but they definitely have strong defenses against potential graverobbers(?).

Prison Island seems like the Alcatraz of this universe, but, again, I don't recall seeing mention of it being used for that purpose, seeing as their holding cells in the city seem to double as conference rooms.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Seeing as we've only seen Shulk and co. detained, and it was more of a "let's keep these guys in one place until we can learn a little more about them" deal, I dunno if we can say much about their prison system yet.

E: Like this is the equivalent of the TSA taking someone in for questioning, they don't stick you in Alcatraz (or even regular jail) for that, AFAIK.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

God, I wish I could find that blog post Soraya Saga wrote about "here's all the poo poo I wanted to do in Episode II/III before I got fired", but it seems to have been scrubbed from the internet, and for probably good reason, because I did a fairly lovely job of summarizing it in the video.

Oh, I found it.

I showed it to Argate earlier tonight, and holy gently caress it is an absolutely brutal read. Also for those of you asking for compilations of "Why did Xenosaga...", this blog is apparently the answer to your prayers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Question 15 is heavy, goddamn!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's what I've always wanted sewer levels to be.

I don't get why we keep getting sewer levels that're awful slogs to trudge through.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

It's what I've always wanted sewer levels to be.

I don't get why we keep getting sewer levels that're awful slogs to trudge through.

Because game developers hold a lot of contempt for their customers.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of developers in their heart of hearts think "I know sewer levels in other games have been universally terrible, but this time, this time I've finally come up with the perfect formula to make a sewer level that doesn't suck."

And they're always wrong.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
could you consider the Metro 20XX games essentially one long sewer level? they're pretty fun

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sally posted:

could you consider the Metro 20XX games essentially one long sewer level? they're pretty fun

Aren't they also rail shooters?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
aahahaa yeah i suppose they are. but i like that you can stop your railcar and get out when you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ahahahaha, another meteor shower. On the one hand, makes the cutscenes look really nice. On the other hand, you missed another shot at that one UM who only spawns during them. :allears: