Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
As children we all had favorite animals for whatever various reason, probably related to a stuffed animal you had or some cool documentary you saw. I was thinking about this lately because as a proud haver of a four year old daughter she is starting to really get into various animals but hasn't quite decided on which one she's going to hyper focus on. She loves Tigers, Cheetahs, Bunnies, Dogs, and Cats and like a typical kid pretends she is one of those animals most of the time (expect for dogs, she has a Blue and Magenta and wooden walkable dog named "Golf Ball" that she pretends are real because she really wants a doggo). When she is willing to pick up poop I will probably ask GBS what kind of doggo she should get, but right now she is pretty honest and says "Daddo you would have to pick up the poop" and I ain't about that poop bag life.

In short she is just a cute little dork and it got me to thinking, hey GBS, what was your favorite childhood animal/s and why? I remember much like the impressionable mini derps I was all about all the animals, but at some point in grade school I got really into Grey Wolves which I think is pretty typical for nerds. I think at the time I was in grade school (mid 90s) grey wolves had suddenly gotten a lot more attention after almost becoming extinct and were slowly being reintroduced to the mountain west. Probably did about a dozen book reports that year about grey wolves and I think it may have contributed to me being banned from the Gifted Program due to not branching out my interests in 2nd grade.

Anyway here are some cool facts about Grey Wolves:

They are the biggest Canine Species and look super bad rear end. They can be over 6 feet long which is a lot of doggo, and males get to be a chonky 180 lbs while female wolves are a svelte 120 on average. Here is a Wolf hanging out in some snow being big:

Grey Wolves almost became extinct because they just love to murder livestock, but I don't blame them for that but the hubris of man. If you are gonna put your various delicious animals on open air ranches in wolf country, you should probably buy or develop and then purchase some kind of wolf insurance for your meatbags. Douchebag pioneers when they weren't busy genociding natives also were more than happy to poison wolves, shoot em, trapping them, all kinds of just generally rude things. I believe this made wolves sad. Pictured is a sad wolf.

https://i.imgur.com/VL7Kqh7.mp4

So by 1978 their are basically like, no wild grey wolves (Canis lupus) running around except in Minnesota. Fun fact my aunt from Minnesota got me two grey wolf stuffed animals during my wolf phase and I named them Minne and Sota. I was very clever. Anyway congress decided maybe it'd be bad to kill off a bad rear end animal and slowly started to reintroduce wolves, even if it required caving to the anti-wolf lobby and letting farmers shoot wolves that were attacking their cattle/livestock/meat products. This was a general success and wolf populations rebounded to over 2000 wolves! Here is some wolves packing it up.

Anyway this all works out and Wolves got reintroduced to Yellowstone and the Mountain West areas in the mid 90's which is when I got into them and was big into wolves for a couple years. I did a bunch of additional reports the next few years tracking wolf progress, and now living in Utah can successful say that wolf reintroduction has almost been too successful if the opinions of Wyomian ranchers is to be listened too. Shown here is a reintroduced wolf going super sayan with its newfound powers:

I also know a few people with wolves as pets and let me say, don't recommend you get a wolf as a pet. The one guy I knew had to walk his two lady wolves 15 miles everyday or they would probably eat his face, and the other now has 3 small children and basically keeps their wolf in a cut rate zoo exhibit that doesn't seem super humane. Let the wolves roam free, getting even a half wolf as a pet seems to be kind of weird.

Probably responsible for the re-popularization of wolves again was also the "Three Wolves Howling at the Moon Shirt" that became a giant tourist thing in the Mountain West. You can literally find these at any gas station in the I-15 Corridor, any ranger stations, etc, even if their isnt a wolf for hundreds of miles. It is pretty easy to envision the four archetypes of people that don't ironically wear the three wolves shirt, chubby nerd grade schoolers like I was, dudes who haven't showered in ages but somehow got into a ranger station (so goons), that awkward art girl in your school, and mountain tourist moms that are never over 5 feet tall and are brick houses. Here are some examples of the three wolves shirts I like and some paradies that are very popular these days.

Anyway here are some last fun wolf facts:

-Wolves are legendary because of their spine-tingling howl, which they use to communicate. A lone wolf howls to attract the attention of his pack, while communal howls may send territorial messages from one pack to another. Some howls are confrontational. Calls may be answered by rival packs. Much like barking domestic dogs, wolves may simply begin howling because a nearby wolf has already begun.
There are many subspecies of wolf including the Arctic wolf, all of which use a variety of howls to communicate to one another.
They have a highly organised social structure enabling them to enjoy maximum cooperation when hunting, communicating and defending territory.
-Wolves live and hunt in packs. They are known to roam large distances – as much as 20km in a single day. Wolf packs in the far North often travel hundreds of kilometres each year as they follow migrating herds.
-Wolves are highly territorial animals, and generally establish territories far larger than they require to survive; in order to assure a steady supply of prey. Territory size depends largely on the amount of prey available: in areas with an abundance of prey, the territories of resident wolf packs are smaller.
-These social animals cooperate on their preferred prey. A single wolf is capable of catching and killing a deer unaided, but when hunting as a pack they prey on much larger animals, including deer, elk, and moose. Wolves also eat smaller mammals such as birds, fish, lizards, snakes, but also eat fruit.

I'm not even that into wolves anymore though, kind of a Wombat guy now.

Anyway feel free to tell me about what childhood animals you thought kicked rear end and lets just have some general cool animal facts and animal discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The worn that look like a penis haha

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

*worm

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Here is a cool wombat:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

there is other animals that look like penis too :)

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Sid Vicious posted:

there is other animals that look like penis too :)

Look up baby wombats, they look like little scrotum wizards

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Derpies posted:

Look up baby wombats, they look like little scrotum wizards

no I am looking for penis animal you sicko

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Elephants. They’re awesome. I hope reincarnation is an actual thing and I end up one someday, if I avoid eating too much meat and murdering too many people.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the bird that looks like a penis, which ironically is known as the vaginabird

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Elephants. They’re awesome. I hope reincarnation is an actual thing and I end up one someday, if I avoid eating too much meat and murdering too many people.

If you are an elephant someday will you do fun part y tricks for me if I give you peanuts etc

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

no I am looking for penis animal you sicko

Weasels, because of their size and shape. Alternately, hedgehogs because of their proportionately Ron Jeremy sized dicks.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

If you are an elephant someday will you do fun part y tricks for me if I give you peanuts etc

No i only want to be one after we reclaim the world from the two-legs and start colonizing the galaxy

I guess ill make an exception for you

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No i only want to be one after we reclaim the world from the two-legs and start colonizing the galaxy

what if I am a lemur

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

;)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Turtles. Who knows why? They don't really do anything but walk slowly and hide in their shell

Oh

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Geoducks are one of my favorite animals. These bivalve mollusks can live up to 170 years! You can find them a lot in the Pacific northwest along the Canadian coastline.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Tom Gorman posted:

Geoducks are one of my favorite animals. These bivalve mollusks can live up to 170 years! You can find them a lot in the Pacific northwest along the Canadian coastline.

I like this fella

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

what if I am a lemur

I’m not a racist anyone can pay for my services

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

the caecilian is named after the Sicilian penis

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Seth Rollins posted:

the caecilian is named after the Sicilian penis

yeah baby

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I loved Ocelots a lot when I was a kid. They're beautiful river/tree cats from South America:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tom Gorman posted:

I didn't know the correct pronunciation until a couple years ago. So many people just let me say it wrong all these years

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I didn't know the correct pronunciation until a couple years ago. So many people just let me say it wrong all these years

how's it pronounced I don't want to feel foolish

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sid Vicious posted:

how's it pronounced I don't want to feel foolish

Oh, its gooey duck. Its semi common ingredient in chinese food. I am chinese. Not a single one of my million relatives ever helped me out when I pronounced it wrong at a Chinese restaurant. I'm grudgin

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

the burrowing goby, or Trypauchen vagina

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

mind the walrus posted:

I loved Ocelots a lot when I was a kid. They're beautiful river/tree cats from South America:

Their is apparently some super expensive cat breeds that is part ocelot and acts like a dog

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh, its gooey duck

that's amazing

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You can eat geoduck too!

Just wrangle that long-dong bi-valve past the bi-cuspids in your big boi bi hole

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Tom Gorman posted:

I saw these guys as an ingredient on chopped once I think

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

mind the walrus posted:

What's with random eyeliner dude lol

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Spinz posted:

What's with random eyeliner dude lol

that's Revolver Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid lol

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh, its gooey duck. Its semi common ingredient in chinese food. I am chinese. Not a single one of my million relatives ever helped me out when I pronounced it wrong at a Chinese restaurant. I'm grudgin

I read that in the 70’s an american guy started claiming geoducks were an endangered species due to them being a Chinese delicacy/part of Chinese medicine. This was not true at all, any of it, he was just a goofball who was famous for and enjoyed spreading fake news. The news eventually reached China, though, and seafood dealers, believing the story was real and not wanting to end up behind the curve, started importing them for human consumption.

So you can blame the dude who pranked the media by claiming to own a brothel for dogs for the fact that certain restaurants in China serve slightly-off tasting, giant, unpleasantly crunchy clam slices in their soup.

That or I’m completely wrong but i swear i read this somewhere.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I read that in the 70’s an american guy started claiming geoducks were an endangered species due to them being a Chinese delicacy/part of Chinese medicine. This was not true at all, any of it, he was just a goofball who was famous for and enjoyed spreading fake news. The news eventually reached China, though, and seafood dealers, believing the story was real and not wanting to end up behind the curve, started importing them for human consumption.

So you can blame the dude who pranked the media by claiming to own a brothel for dogs for the fact that certain restaurants in China serve slightly-off tasting, giant, unpleasantly crunchy clam slices in their soup.

That or I’m completely wrong but i swear i read this somewhere.

What if you're that guy and you're making up a story right now

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

What if you're that guy and you're making up a story right now

I’d know if I was making it up. I read about it in I think an Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader, which is the most reputable academic journal meant to be read on the toilet.

If I was making it up there’d be a lot more gratuitous sex & violence.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’d know if I was making it up. I read about it in I think an Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader, which is the most reputable academic journal meant to be read on the toilet.

If I was making it up there’d be a lot more gratuitous sex & violence.

What if there was and you censored it for me because you know I am very precious and fragile

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

What if there was and you censored it for me because you know I am very precious and fragile

Ok Nixon and Mao cornholed each other to bring peace between our peoples, are you happy, Sid? Are you loving happy?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Ok Nixon and Mao cornholed each other to bring peace between our peoples, are you happy, Sid? Are you loving happy?

sometimes

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Nigmaetcetera posted:

[url= https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Skaggs]It was this guy[/url]

God drat it I’ve forgotten how to encode an url properly in bbcode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I meant they cornholed each other with geoducks but its too late to change it since you quoted me