Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Albino Squirrel posted:

-In the valley that leads to the Banuk territory, there's a large westward extension with lakes and forests and snowfields. It's completely empty except for a few Lancehorns and Glinthawks - not even a flavour text file. Am I missing something or is it just some place the devs didn't add anything to?

There may be a datapoint there or something but it's just an empty area, yeah.

quote:

-APOLLO:

Don't think spoilers are necessary here. Yes, the data for Apollo was encoded in DNA in artificial fossils, because that was the method that best stored the data without degradation for the hundreds or thousands of years that may be required. Yes, it's strange that Faro claims to have deleted it - it would mean he would have had to destroy all the fossils, OR it would mean that the fossils hadn't been constructed yet and that was part of the Alpha's jobs at the end of the project.

NO, you can't store that data in an organism. Even in the "junk" DNA you have, there's not even a modern hard drive's storage space in there. They were talking about exabytes of data. You can't fit that in any creature's DNA, period. Remember that these were artificially constructed "fossils" that really were repositories for huge amounts of information that was coded as DNA, and even then these were to be stored in cryochambers to avoid damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ashpanash posted:

There may be a datapoint there or something but it's just an empty area, yeah.

Don't think spoilers are necessary here. Yes, the data for Apollo was encoded in DNA in artificial fossils, because that was the method that best stored the data without degradation for the hundreds or thousands of years that may be required. Yes, it's strange that Faro claims to have deleted it - it would mean he would have had to destroy all the fossils, OR it would mean that the fossils hadn't been constructed yet and that was part of the Alpha's jobs at the end of the project.

NO, you can't store that data in an organism. Even in the "junk" DNA you have, there's not even a modern hard drive's storage space in there. They were talking about exabytes of data. You can't fit that in any creature's DNA, period. Remember that these were artificially constructed "fossils" that really were repositories for huge amounts of information that was coded as DNA, and even then these were to be stored in cryochambers to avoid damage.
Oh, I know there's not nearly enough room - hence why I was saying how handwavy they wanna get - even though you're counting in base-4 with DNA instead of base-2. I suppose I'm mostly used to the portrayal of genetics in video games to be on the level of the Assassin's Creed series, and this game does look marginally more reality based. If I had to guess, I'd say at some point you'll have to scan like a woolly mammoth skeleton with your focus and that'll unlock part of the knowledge humanity needs to something something.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Oh, I know there's not nearly enough room - hence why I was saying how handwavy they wanna get - even though you're counting in base-4 with DNA instead of base-2. I suppose I'm mostly used to the portrayal of genetics in video games to be on the level of the Assassin's Creed series, and this game does look marginally more reality based. If I had to guess, I'd say at some point you'll have to scan like a woolly mammoth skeleton with your focus and that'll unlock part of the knowledge humanity needs to something something.

I doubt it, it wasn't like they planned for the data to be erased, nor were there any protocols to save the data in any creatures or whatnots or whathaveyous should it not be accessible for some reason. Plus anyone who would even attempt to set that up was either killed or was Ted Faro. The Earth-bound data's either gone or inaccessible thanks to Ted.

The alpha-version data on the Odyssey, on the other hand...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Zil posted:

I don't remember mine looking that good, what are you playing it on?

It's a 3080 and a Ryzen 5900; the framerate is smooth as gently caress but it heats my room like no radiator has ever done. I've even had a couple of CTDs because of the temperature so now I take breaks every couple of hours and let it cool down. I've been caning it recently though because I'm so hooked on the story, I had missed so much on my first playthrough.

For example: I really hadn't figured out (endgame spoilers) how much Sylens knew. I hadn't put 2&2 together and realised that he was able to reverse-engineer and put in a back door to the focuses because of the knowledge HADES had imparted on him. I must have been not paying attention the first time around.

Edit:

A couple more:

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 9, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cactus posted:

I almost gave up on my UH run but last night I knuckled down and got a bunch of quests done, and I'm back into it now. Game really needs TLou2-style granular difficulty settings; I'd keep everything on UH except loot/shop prices because that is the only thing dragging down the experience. It takes so long to save up for the weapons and armour I need and the grinding just ruins the pacing of the game.

Same, or Very Hard with the machine behaviour and aggressiveness from UH because i would still like them to pile on but at more comfortable damage/resistance values from VH.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there an issue I don't know about with preordering the Digital Deluxe version of FW on the PS5? Multiple days in a row now it just says an unknown error occurred please try again later. I was able to preorder Elden Ring just fine, so it's not anything with my account/cc.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Maybe it would be a very Ted thing if he just deleted the directory and murdered anyone who could recreate it but didn’t bother erasing the whole APOLLO archive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there an issue I don't know about with preordering the Digital Deluxe version of FW on the PS5? Multiple days in a row now it just says an unknown error occurred please try again later. I was able to preorder Elden Ring just fine, so it's not anything with my account/cc.

This is the HZD PC thread, however I find that changing your payment method often works for this problem. I had to alternate between my debit card and paypal on the PS4 storefront to prevent this from happening, it sux.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

exquisite tea posted:

This is the HZD PC thread, however I find that changing your payment method often works for this problem. I had to alternate between my debit card and paypal on the PS4 storefront to prevent this from happening, it sux.

Whoops, this one's been in my bookmarks for so long I just assumed it was the only HZD thread. Thanks though!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Falukorv posted:

Same, or Very Hard with the machine behaviour and aggressiveness from UH because i would still like them to pile on but at more comfortable damage/resistance values from VH.

gently caress me. I just did the UH version of the (dlc content) triple frostclaw fight last night and after dying a bunch I was actually shouting in frustration at my monitor by the end of it because having to always be rolling all the time always or else get knocked on my arse gave me very little time to draw my bow/select a potion/aim at a weakpoint and on top of that I was running out of everything by the end of the fight. They almost won through attrition, until I remembered I hadn't burned through my blast sling ammo yet so let the two that were left have it. I'm surprised my mouse's thumb button still works the amount of rolling I made Aloy do.

So exhausted after I couldn't even really enjoy the feeling of winning, maybe I wasn't doing something right but man that fight felt super balanced against me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

That's a tough fight, probably the second or third hardest encounter in the Frozen Wilds. Bring lots of frost resist potions and make use of that little passageway underneath the center rock area to flank the frostclaws.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah that's exactly what I did in the end. I ran out of wire, blaze, frost herbs and health bar and pots when there were still 2 left! Fortunately they must have both been in a pretty battered state because when I took out the blast sling it only took 3 or 4 shots each to finish them off.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

exquisite tea posted:

make use of that little passageway underneath the center rock area to flank the frostclaws.

Agreed! I was lucky and discovered this early on in the fight, and it made all the difference

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Looking back my biggest mistake was that I'd switched to the banuk sharpshooter bow, and the extra damage doesn't, in that fight anyway, make up for the increased draw time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cactus posted:

Just started an Ultra-Hard fresh run (not NG+) and I'm sorely tempted to get the Power Armour early. Because these bots do not gently caress around, I nearly died on that first sawtooth fight Rost sends you on, and that was after farming up so I had 40 arrows, 8 tripcaster ammo and some extra potion slots.

i am admittedly bad at games, but NG+ UH is hard enough on its own for me. being 6mos rusty and switching to KB+M didn't help. getting bodied by a couple chargers at the start was lol, but doing the combat well came back pretty quickly. fights that were hard the first time through (the first proper deathbringer fight in particular) were a walk in the park. those are made up for by the more aggressive AI in a lot of encounters though--the hunters three scorcher+longleg fight was murderous, those drat things don't let up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't used the power armor on higher level difficulties, but doesn't it get a lot weaker on higher difficulties? Like to the point purple armor with proper mods protects you way better?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It doesn't become totally useless but it is much less effective on Ultra when every robot will wipe your shield in one hit and it offers no native resistances. In the base game, Carja Silks or Shadow Stalwart will offer more protection with the right mods, and the DLC armors have 60 native freeze/fire resistance on top of that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I used the power armour for a bit but yeah can concur that by the time I got it it was nowhere near as useful for not dying as the Nora protector armour with full melee resist purples on it (plus a potion of resist whatever-im-fighting)

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Agreed. it is great if you are really good at dodging between getting your shots in, but for me even on VH which i usually play, dedicated armors with the right combos of restistances for what im up against is a lot better. Gotten so much mileage out of my stealth and nora protector outfits.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm great-ish at dodging if I'm facing one thing. More than one though, and they inevitably start getting hits in here and there (even if I remember to cheat and use photo mode to pause the action and rotate the camera to see where everything is)

One difference I've noticed between this and my normal playthrough is I haven't used stealth outfit at all; it's worse than useless. They see you from miles away anyway and if they get a hit in that's half your medpouch gone if not insta-dead.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I’m guessing UH? Been playing VH mostly and there it works wonders if stealth stat is maxed. Either to sneak past, harass or do opening shots.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, I started an UH run earlier this month just to see if I could and it rules. I nearly gave up on it early on because of the economy more than anything else, but once I accepted I'd have to grind the 1st hunting ground for cash with a podcast on every now and then to setup for some of the bigger fights (the amount of money I've spent on wire and pots is ridiculous haha) I got myself set up and it is, in my opinion, the best way to play the game. It forced me to learn each opponent. But yeah, you ain't doing no stealth outfit on that. I still to this day use the lure/ critical strike combo to thin out crowds before I engage but they will see you after a couple of those unless you're ultra patient...and I'm not.

I'm so glad the sequel has a lot more granular difficulty settings, kinda like TLou2 it seems, so it looks like we're going to be able to set everything to hard except loot/shop prices, if that's our wish. I want extra hard combat, but I want to be able to equip myself to be able to deal with it without a prohibitive amount of grinding beforehand, and it looks like that's going to be something I can do. Next week can't come fast enough.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
stealth is actually still really good on UH but it depends on you stacking enough of it to overcome the baked-in penalty (you effectively have an invisible -30 stealth mod on at all times)

you can also switch outfits at any time, so while it's kind of cheesy you're under no obligation to keep the stealth outfit on once a fight starts. or you can just do a mix of stealth and melee damage reduction, since that's where most of the one-shot danger comes from anyways

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the bluegleam nora stealth outfit (granted, with +20 stealth from mods) still seems pretty useful on UH, definitely noticeably less visible than others, just not to the point of being able to silent strike an entire herd without trying and/or using high grass like it was on whatever i was playing before

Cactus posted:

gently caress me. I just did the UH version of the (dlc content) triple frostclaw fight last night and after dying a bunch I was actually shouting in frustration at my monitor by the end of it because having to always be rolling all the time always or else get knocked on my arse gave me very little time to draw my bow/select a potion/aim at a weakpoint and on top of that I was running out of everything by the end of the fight.

exquisite tea posted:

That's a tough fight, probably the second or third hardest encounter in the Frozen Wilds. Bring lots of frost resist potions and make use of that little passageway underneath the center rock area to flank the frostclaws.

that tunnel is almost cheese levels of good, you can camp out it in and let the the bears go get distracted by aratak before jumping out to pop them to an absurd degree. it's slow, but it makes the fight easier than the two bear fight at the end of frontier justice where you have to run in a continuous circle with nowhere to hide.

loading 3 hardpoint arrows, jumping for slowdown, and trying to hit a shoulder ice pod seems the best strategy, you can often get 2 of those in before needing to run away. it's still a while before they freeze and actually take damage, but it's a lot more effective than the first fight that i just slowly plinked to death with occasional 40 damage shots

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Shillup review is out, he loves it

Stay away if you want to go in totally unspoiled on environments etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdFGdR28Gp8

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

victrix posted:

Shillup review is out, he loves it

Stay away if you want to go in totally unspoiled on environments etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdFGdR28Gp8

Oh that's good, I trust him and agree with his opinions roughly 80% of the time. I'll be watching that when I get in.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

stealth is actually still really good on UH but it depends on you stacking enough of it to overcome the baked-in penalty (you effectively have an invisible -30 stealth mod on at all times)

you can also switch outfits at any time, so while it's kind of cheesy you're under no obligation to keep the stealth outfit on once a fight starts. or you can just do a mix of stealth and melee damage reduction, since that's where most of the one-shot danger comes from anyways

When I did a NG+ UH run a few months back, this is exactly what I did. Stealth armor while traveling about, pause and switch to something else when the fighting inevitably started.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also Aloy's slide-crouch is your friend. it seems to count as "crouching" for detection purposes but means you move much faster than normal sneaking. get the timing down and you can slide directly into a stealth crit before the machine actually detects you

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cactus posted:

Oh that's good, I trust him and agree with his opinions roughly 80% of the time. I'll be watching that when I get in.

he's one of the only game critics out there who I think is worth the title

also worth noting he's incredibly burned out on open world games and still loves this, soooooo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He also absolutely loved Outer Worlds so he doesn't always slam dunk.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

He also absolutely loved Outer Worlds so he doesn't always slam dunk.

Yeah but he gave Outer Wilds game of the year 3 years running, I think, so it balances out.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Someone brought it up earlier, maybe here or in the main Horizon thread, but don't forget that when you fight the ice/fire bear whatevers, if they charge you, don't dodge to the sides. dodge right at them and through their legs. You won't get his and you get a good amount of time to run, get some distance, and even get a shot or two off.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Someone brought it up earlier, maybe here or in the main Horizon thread, but don't forget that when you fight the ice/fire bear whatevers, if they charge you, don't dodge to the sides. dodge right at them and through their legs. You won't get his and you get a good amount of time to run, get some distance, and even get a shot or two off.

I just killed the 5 fireclaws, and most of the dodging I did was rolling out of lava fountains. With patience they weren't that hard, I took the advice of the thread and put the stealth-modded stealth outfit on, sniping them from the bushes, keeping my distance as much as I could running from cover to cover to lose them if they spotted me and went red. I used override as much as I could, either on the surrounding mobs, or the fireclaws themselves - the two that weren't daemonic that is. My strategy was to override/kill everything in the area first to get the bear alone, then take pot shots at the electric cannisters on his back to stun him, then run up and point-blank (so I didn't miss and annoy myself) a triple maxed-out damage-modded precision shot right on the weakpoint. With a fire resist potion active you can tank the blast if it blows, then run away and regain stealth. Most of the areas had topography that made it easy to break line of sight. The one where there were two bears was the easiest because one was non-daemonic so I made them fight each other then finished off the weakened winner.

I don't know why I don't have the "kill 6 fireclaws" achievment because those five plus the one in the cauldron equals six. Guess I didn't get the "killing blow" or whatever. I mean it may be a cheesy strat by the game's definition but I'm not in any way regretful; I was using the tools the game gave me and fighting things that are stronger and faster than me so guerilla warfare is a legit strategy imo. I should have got that achievment :sulk: :colbert:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Internet I implore you, spend all your spoiler energy spoiling me on "Elden Ring", a game I do not care about

please do not spoil the bow and arrow dinosaur game. Instead you can reveal to me the twisted fiends of "Elden Ring" because I do care about that that game. deal??

edit: loving metacritic 89; how do you buy a PS5? bit coin??

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

Internet I implore you, spend all your spoiler energy spoiling me on "Elden Ring", a game I do not care about

please do not spoil the bow and arrow dinosaur game. Instead you can reveal to me the twisted fiends of "Elden Ring" because I do care about that that game. deal??

edit: loving metacritic 89; how do you buy a PS5? bit coin??

I got lucky. In the UK Currys had a lottery system set up after the console released and the situation with scalpers etc was becoming clear. I put my name down and forgot all about it and then months, maybe close to a year later I got an email saying I'd been drawn out of the hat and my PS5 would be getting delivered to the store later that day. Got it for RRP.

And yes I also don't care about Elden Ring either. That kind of storytelling annoys me now. Piece together all the vague, could-mean-anything, if you squint at it the right way, bits of information from item descriptions and youtube videos talking about how the position of this statue in this area relative to this corpse could mean..... and you'll maybe have a whif of an idea of what might be going on. That is not for me.

Minan
Oct 22, 2008
A Tallneck lego set is coming out https://www.lego.com/nb-no/product/horizon-forbidden-west-tallneck-76989

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I need it.

I also need Sony to release HFW on PC, like, now.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

dragonshardz posted:

I need it.

I also need Sony to release HFW on PC, like, now.

:same:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
CONTENT ALERT (massive HZD spoilers obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
So, I've recently started playing this on PC and generally enjoy it a lot, it runs very smooth, but it seems that there's something weird going on with some textures. In particular wooden surfaces look really low res and blurry. Here's a screenshot taken on "ultra" setting without DLSS:

This one is with DLSS, and it looks somewhat better, but still pretty wonky:

I've also noticed that sometimes the map is really low res as well:

Any ideas what is going on there? My graphics card is a 3060RTX mobile version, so it only has 6 GB VRAM, so maybe that has seomthing to do with it? On the other hand, setting the texture quality to "medium" doesn't really change anything.