Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Surprisingly the game runs... Not WELL but decent enough on my venerable 970. 30 fps 1080, but I'm okay with it as it's a pretty consistent 30 fps barring the weird stutters that seem to affect everyone. Oh, and I am getting crashes but they're pretty rare and spread out, which I can live with. I've played Skyrim modded to the gills, crashes don't scare me much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009
So, despite my yesterday's fiasco I tried again, this time it was much better.

GPU was being used 100%, CPU about 50-60%. RAM usage was around 6.5 GB from 8.

Average FPS ~55. With some stutters here and there.

Managed to play for about an hour before a CTD, I suppose that this is RAM related. So a memory upgrade is on the way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How important are the Scavenger+ skills?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Lone Badger posted:

How important are the Scavenger+ skills?

They're always what I tend to get after maxing out the Concentration+ tree. Helps a lot in the beginning of the game when you're scraping by for resources, especially on Ultra Hard. The most important thing is to get Tinker by around the time you arrive at Meridian so that you can freely swap mods.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
On Hard or lower I don't think they're essential at all.

And Tinker is useful, but imo really not necessary early on when most of your mods are interchangeable. Still something you'll eventually want, just for peace of mind if nothing else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

On Hard or lower I don't think they're essential at all.

Just fyi for those that don't know, Ultra Hard raises resource costs and merchant prices significantly (on top of a whole lot more).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

For various reasons I would not recommend Ultra Hard to a total beginner, although Very Hard is a good starting difficulty if you enjoy the challenge.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
no issues here

60fps@1440 with my 2070 using the DF recommended settings. Not as good as Death Stranding but fine.

played for a good few hours without any crashes

I didn't even notice any stuttering or weird animation stuff but maybe I'm just not sensitive to it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What is the purpose of increasing ammo capacity when crafting is instantaneous?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

What is the purpose of increasing ammo capacity when crafting is instantaneous?

Mostly less of a hassle, but it can be important in combat. You don't want to have to interrupt your shots when the right opportunity presents itself. It's quite relevant in harder fights.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I played this once before, but not the DLC, I enjoyed it immensely, what is the difference between the difficulties? More health or does it do something more?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I played this once before, but not the DLC, I enjoyed it immensely, what is the difference between the difficulties? More health or does it do something more?

Plus Ultra adds a bunch on top (spoilered just in case)

Enemy health bars are disabled.
    Multiple enemies can attack simultaneously.
    Enemy perception range (both visual and auditory) is greatly increased.
    Machines and humans are harder to knock down using the heavy spear attack.
    Vendor prices are up to five times higher.
    Vendors no longer offer free sample boxes.
    The Machine resources merchant no longer sells hearts. In addition, they only sell 4 types of lenses.
    The Thunderjaw's Disc Launchers are no longer especially vulnerable to Tearblast Arrows.
    Using Lure Call while enemies are actively searching for Aloy will immediately reveal her location to them, even if she is hiding in tall grass.
    Machines that were more inclined to flee will now prefer to fight. This applies to Striders, Broadheads, Chargers, Grazers, and Lancehorns.
    Humans will attack more frequently.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Enemies are more aggressive, have more resistance to status effects including tear, and hitting their armor instead of their weakpoints will do almost no damage. On Ultra Hard health bars are permanently hidden and all items are 3-4x more expensive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I remember there was a vendor on the way to Meridian or something, that has something you kinda-sorta want to bumrush the main story for, before you stop and smell the roses. No idea what it was, any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

First hard crash after half an hour, couldn't even get to task manager. Ryzen 5 2600, 1070, 16gigs. Probably refund time, can't be waiting for an inevitable crash every half an hour.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, so tentatively I'm running this game way better than expected, at last in the benchmark and in the first quest area that opens up as an adult.

System:

i5-6600k@ 4.4
16 GB RAM
GTX 1070
Old-rear end SSD
Generic Dell 1080p60 monitor

In-game settings: 1080p, exclusive fullscreen (not borderless windowed), medium but with TAA on and motion blur off
Nvidia control panel settings: power management prefer maximum performance, texture filtering quality high performance, 16x AF forced
Windows 10 game mode off, turn off all windows game-related overlays and poo poo
Turn off steam overlay
ISLC used with settings shown, manually purged standby list before running

With vsync off I'm getting in the 75-85 FPS range consistently running around the game shooting robots. Only hiccups so far are any time quest notifications appear onscreen (GO TO PLACE TO DO THING text) and sometimes when cutscenes start. With vsync + triple buffering (don't know if the latter does anything in this game...) it's locked at 59-61.

Not sure which (if any of these) are helping me relative to people running better hardware getting like 30-40 FPS, or if it will all bug out on me in an hour. :iiam:

e: I did some back-to-back benchmark comparisons with ISLC off vs. on, and the difference in FPS was consistently 3-4%, but I don't know how that translates to playing the game (better or worse.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 8, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My ISLC settings are the same as yours. The juddering along the way is lessened but not eliminated, and only variably, but it does help.

I'm so torn. Some nine tenths of my video game time are on PC, so I'm glad to be able to play this again on it; but gently caress I'm mad about the clearly shoddy QA work here.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Dang, i thought the pcie issue could be why the game refuses to use my graphics card, but i ran z-GPU and apparently i have 16x slots so who fuckin knows what's going on here

e: oh poo poo no i read the readout wrong, its in x4 slots lmao. i guess i need to PHYSICALLY MOVE MY loving GRAPHICS CARD AROUND??? what the hell

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 8, 2020

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Qmass posted:

so if the crashing is related to running out of memory or page file, does that memory management program people were talking about prevent crashes ?

I'm getting crashes every hour and a half or so with it running. Guess I'll try disabling it when I get home and see if that helps (or maybe letting the game have more memory)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm going out so I can't try yet, but has anyone tried messing with priority or CPU affinity in task manager?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The funny thing I'm seeing from looking at hardware monitor is that this game is barely taxing my system at all. My GPU and CPU each hit 100% at some point... but they barely warmed up in an hour? And my RAM utilization peaked at 52%?

But somehow this game is making GBS threads on PCs with better hardware than me? :wtf:

Ixjuvin posted:

Dang, i thought the pcie issue could be why the game refuses to use my graphics card, but i ran z-GPU and apparently i have 16x slots so who fuckin knows what's going on here

e: oh poo poo no i read the readout wrong, its in x4 slots lmao. i guess i need to PHYSICALLY MOVE MY loving GRAPHICS CARD AROUND??? what the hell

IIRC you need to run GPU-Z while you have a benchmark running (like in a window) to see what your peak PCIe lanes being used are, otherwise it will report much smaller numbers because your card isn't actually doing anything at the time.

The odds your video card is in the wrong physical slot seem pretty small, there is usually an obvious big fuckoff slot by itself on the board that screams "graphics card goes here."

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 8, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
As a general rule of thumb the 16x PCI-e slot is the one that's closest to the CPU/highest up on the motherboard, but apparently there are exceptions to this.

Even the resident nerds at DF got caught out by this so don't feel bad if you found your GPU is in a lower bandwidth slot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

The funny thing I'm seeing from looking at hardware monitor is that this game is barely taxing my system at all. My GPU and CPU each hit 100% at some point... but they barely warmed up in an hour? And my RAM utilization peaked at 52%?

But somehow this game is making GBS threads on PCs with better hardware than me? :wtf:

IIRC you need to run GPU-Z while you have a benchmark running (like in a window) to see what your peak PCIe lanes being used are, otherwise it will report much smaller numbers because your card isn't actually doing anything at the time.

The odds your video card is in the wrong physical slot seem pretty small, there is usually an obvious big fuckoff slot by itself on the board that screams "graphics card goes here."

They actually added a little ? icon next to the PCI-E interface label that explains this, and starts up a render that gets all lanes utilized. Kinda neat tbh

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ixjuvin posted:

What board is that?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
It runs fine for me. This game owns.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This game yelled at me when I first booted for not updating my drivers but it ran so well that I'm afraid to now

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
Are Game Ready drivers a thing Nvidia only does on sponsored games?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

sean10mm posted:

OK, so tentatively I'm running this game way better than expected, at last in the benchmark and in the first quest area that opens up as an adult.

System:

i5-6600k@ 4.4
16 GB RAM
GTX 1070
Old-rear end SSD
Generic Dell 1080p60 monitor

In-game settings: 1080p, exclusive fullscreen (not borderless windowed), medium but with TAA on and motion blur off
Nvidia control panel settings: power management prefer maximum performance, texture filtering quality high performance, 16x AF forced
Windows 10 game mode off, turn off all windows game-related overlays and poo poo
Turn off steam overlay
ISLC used with settings shown, manually purged standby list before running

With vsync off I'm getting in the 75-85 FPS range consistently running around the game shooting robots. Only hiccups so far are any time quest notifications appear onscreen (GO TO PLACE TO DO THING text) and sometimes when cutscenes start. With vsync + triple buffering (don't know if the latter does anything in this game...) it's locked at 59-61.

Not sure which (if any of these) are helping me relative to people running better hardware getting like 30-40 FPS, or if it will all bug out on me in an hour. :iiam:

I think playing at 1080p is what is helping you here, the reports of 40 FPS for comparative hardware are almost entirely at 1440 or higher resolutions. Its 1060/580s or lower where people start to have more trouble at 1080p.

I was doing great with the Digital Foundry specs on a 3440 ultrawide using a 1070ti, usually about 50 FPS, 45 FPS at the lowest in the most intensive open areas so far, but Gsync had made it perfectly playable.

Until I get an "Unfortunately the game has crashed" message once an hour, no matter what.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Does anyone wanna compile some more known PC issues + tweaks to add for the OP?

Anisotropic Filtering

Currently, the Anisotropic Filtering setting does not work. Nvidia users can force the game to 16x AF in the user control panel. Note that if you have already started the game once, you will have to open your Horizon Zero Dawn\LocalCacheDX12\ folder and delete PSOCache.bin to let shaders recompile. Otherwise you will get shimmering and texture flickering bugs when you restart.

Frame Stuttering

The game is extremely RAM-hungry, resulting in very large standby list sizes that cause frequent hitches as new assets are loaded into memory. These problems can be mitigated by downloading Intelligent Standby List Cleaner and setting an aggressive threshold of 2048/4096 on systems with 16GB of RAM, adjusted up or down depending on your total system memory.

Exclusive Fullscreen

Some players are recording up to a 10% performance increase when the game is played in non-windowed fullscreen.

Turn off in-game overlays

Minor effect, but Horizon Zero Dawn noticeably stutters when Steam achievements are recorded.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As a general rule of thumb the 16x PCI-e slot is the one that's closest to the CPU/highest up on the motherboard, but apparently there are exceptions to this.

Even the resident nerds at DF got caught out by this so don't feel bad if you found your GPU is in a lower bandwidth slot.

This is what it was, my mobo had two 16x sized slots but only the one closer to the CPU is actually 16x; after reseating my graphics card in that slot z-gpu is now reporting that it's a 16x

... and HZD still apparently isn't putting any load on the card (a 4 year old 1070) so WHO KNOWS what the gently caress is going on here hahah

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

In-game vsync is broken. Force it in your video card's control panel if you want to use it. You can try forcing triple buffering as well but I don't know if it works. nvidia "fast" vsync will crash it 100%, incidentally.
In-game frame limiting doesn't work. Force it in your video card's control panel if you want to use it.
Force maximum performance settings for video card power use & force texture filtering quality to high performance.

Windows 10 gaming settings (game mode, overlay) are ~speculated~ to harm performance, try turning them off.

Motion blur actually has a detectable performance hit, at least in my benchmarks. You may want to disable it.
Conversely, TAA has no detectable performance hit for me and is the best AA option anyway.

Ixjuvin posted:

This is what it was, my mobo had two 16x sized slots but only the one closer to the CPU is actually 16x; after reseating my graphics card in that slot z-gpu is now reporting that it's a 16x

... and HZD still apparently isn't putting any load on the card (a 4 year old 1070) so WHO KNOWS what the gently caress is going on here hahah

It WILL use shitloads of the video memory even on medium, however! Even though it barely warms the card up.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

I'm two hours in and have had two crashes.

Sweet.

Four crashes within my first four hours of playing, so I just refunded it.

It's a shame, because this game is beautiful and really ticks all the boxes for me.

I found some other nerd forums thread where everyone was having this issue with no proposed resolution. Oh well.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 8, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord

Ixjuvin posted:

For what its worth, task manager was undereporting GPU utilization by a lot. The Rivatuner overlay that comes bundled with MSI Afterburner gave me much more realistic GPU utilization specs.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sean10mm posted:

Even though it barely warms the card up.

With my 1080 It doesn't have full load, it's always around 96 to 98% which results in slightly lower temps.

I don't have any stuttering at all but the scene flickers quite frequently. Looks like huge chunks of world geometry aren't getting rendered 1 frame or so.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So is this port exceeding Arkham Knight for poor quality? It sounds like it to me, and it’s not getting much buzz as HZD is a 3 year old game.

All this talk makes me want to bust it out again on PS4.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looks like I won the lottery. 5 hours yesterday and I got nothing but a smooth 60fps experience at 1080p with the high preset. Fell down a hole at the start and ran into a bunch of garbled displays with one word on them, F-something. Whatever, I'm sure it won't amount to anything (Thanks for nothing, Horizon PS4 thread title). Beyond that the writing and gameplay has been delightful.

Specs, for reference, are an I7-8700, 1070ti, and 16GB of RAM. I haven't done anything outside the game besides restarting my computer after letting it calculate it's shaders and watching the intro. Cheers.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

BigHead posted:

Four crashes within my first four hours of playing, so I just refunded it.

It's a shame, because this game is beautiful and really ticks all the boxes for me.

I found some other nerd forums thread where everyone was having this issue with no proposed resolution. Oh well.

I would have refunded if not for the fact that the autosaves are pretty good, so I don't lose much progress - and I'm REALLY enjoying the game when it runs.

What I'm saying is, this game is a Triumph motorcycle - when it runs it's amazing....but it doesn't always run....

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ciaphas posted:

I remember there was a vendor on the way to Meridian or something, that has something you kinda-sorta want to bumrush the main story for, before you stop and smell the roses. No idea what it was, any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

To fast travel you need to use a consumable (which you can make out of animal parts) there's a merchant at the gate between the Nora and the rest of the map that sells a permanent version of that, you need a fox skin to trade for it. That might be what you're thinking of.

Something really handy, especially if the load times are better on PC is you're fully healed whenever you load a save, so if you're low on health and near a campfire you can just save and reload instead of using healing item.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Anyone had this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

New developer update, possibly having something to do with the game staying at "mixed" with ~6500 reviews:

Guerrilla Games posted:

Quick Update regarding Player Reports

Thank you for supporting us yesterday as we launched Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition on PC! We have been enjoying a whole new wave of screenshots with the in-game Photo Mode, live streams and videos from content creators, and seeing so many new players start their journey with Aloy.

We have been monitoring all of our channels and are aware that some players have been experiencing crashes and other technical issues. Please know that we are investigating your reports as our highest priority.

We appreciate those who have already taken the time to report their issues on Steam, Reddit, or via our website. If you are still encountering crashes or bugs, please continue to use those spaces, or refer to our FAQ if you are unsure of how to proceed. Your reports are, and have already been, incredibly helpful for our teams.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to investigate issues; we will update you all as soon as we have more news.

–Guerrilla

Note: The FAQ they mention is under announcements and it's a list of the features the game has and minimum/recommended specs, posted back in early July. No kind of troubleshooting or really any help at all for those having issues.

Also note: Not really a promise of a patch or anything, instead a boilerplate "we are investigating reports". Also not "We've confirmed issues" or "These issues did not come up during testing on our end" or "We know reviewers who got early copies also ran into these issues". Instead it's "We are testing it now". This bodes well.

---

This is what Arkham Knight looked like a day or two after release, so comparable now to HZD:

And now it's Mostly Positive, so it's possible to rescue a game from bad word of mouth, but Sony has to act soon. Early adopters are more likely to have beefy enough systems (or the technical know-how) to smooth out the worst performance issues rather than the people that purchase it later down the line.