Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Ciaphas posted:

I mean I'd like to find out but it's crashed three times in 30 minutes.

I wonder if the frame rate/conversation animation discrepancy is related. It's only ever actually crashed in a conversation; if I'm controlling Aloy it's been fine. Wonder if going to 50hz fullscreen (to get close to 30) would make any sort of difference? Kind of a long shot

A lot of people who PC couchgame do 50hz (since TVs support that refresh rate), it's a legit thing to do if you have ageing hardware & can't quite keep a consistent 60 frames per second in games. I ran MHW at 4k50 on my 1080ti for example.

I don't know if it will help the game's actual animation issues though, I think if animations were tied to framerate you might have more luck trying 30hz since that's the source material.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

I just tried switching to Very Hard and found out about the lack of autoaim. You can do this on a gamepad without it? Hitting components seems like a nightmare!

Time to try KBM.

It's surprisingly good with mkb. I'd recommend it over controller unless couch bound.

2nd crash for me, again at the start of a cutscene. Hope it won't get more frequent.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 8, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I just cleared the first bandit camp and nils is a superfreak
that's all

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I've noticed a weird issue when using a non-standard resolution in borderless mode (Depending on your monitor. I've been using 1920x1440 or 1920x1200 because it's a decent compromise between 1080 and 1440 and somehow this raises the render resolution without stretching the screen.) My brightness suddenly gets overblown when I close the map, and it never goes away:

The only way to fix it is to change the resolution to a standard size and then back. But then it still happens when I open and close the map. Annoying.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009
Just managed to play for 5 hours with no crashes with my lame PC.

Followed this site for most of the suggestions https://www.ghostarrow.com/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-how-to-boost-fps-performance

Game is not too pretty with the settings but I love the gameplay and story, so all good for me.

Iceache fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 8, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I've been playing on a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb RAM and my old as fuuuuck GTX 960 while I wait for a new card. Obviously it looks pretty trash but it seems to run fine. I've had one crash in about 6-7 hrs of play, this game owns.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm now averaging mid 30s-mid 40s FPS, which tbh is what I get in MHW anyway at 1440p.
Thanks to whoever suggested forcing stuff through Nvidia control panel, that's made a positive difference.

In a gameplay level, this is exactly the kind of game I hoped it was going in fairly blind--I get some sort of weird modern Tomb Raider (specifically the thermal village in Rise)/Witcher 3 kinda vibe of the landscape, it's satisfying getting early one-shot stealth kills on Watchers and of the two or three side quests I've done all have given a fair enough reward and finding the guy with schizophrenia for his sister was a touching little vignette story.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh no, is the port that bad? I decided to just replay the game on PS4 to talk about it but uh, I don't think anyone's mentioned anything about the actual game in a few pages

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The port is giving quite a few people some extreme troubles, but there are a few whose computers are blessed with no issues.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

Boba Pearl posted:

The port is giving quite a few people some extreme troubles, but there are a few whose computers are blessed with no issues.

Yeah I'm blessed with zero issues on my middle of the road ryzen 2700x + 2070 at 1440p. Game is very good so far.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh no, is the port that bad? I decided to just replay the game on PS4 to talk about it but uh, I don't think anyone's mentioned anything about the actual game in a few pages

Looking like a typical rushed QA so some people's stuff works fine and other people's stuff is literally unplayable

itry
Aug 23, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's... not good.

I'm considering waiting a week or so to see if the community can troubleshoot this thing, before I continue playing.

awesmoe posted:

I just cleared the first bandit camp and nils is a superfreak
that's all

Serial killer vibes off of that guy.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The devs have already responded in typical "We're listening" manner, but this is also a flagship 1st party Sony game. They can't have something like this being a black mark on their new console launch window statistics when it comes time to get people who were introduced on the game on PC and move onto the sequel on PS5. We may wind up going down a Batman road here where nothing they try fixes it, but rest assured they will be trying at least!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I was doing okay, humming along at 45-55 FPS but a crash every hour or two for no discernible reason. Really annoying, but little to no stutter anywhere and certainly playable with Gsync.

Then I got to the cutscene where Aloy talks with Neersa in All-Mother after recovering from the Proving. Crashed. Ok well whatever. Boot again, start the cutscence, get halfway through, annnnd crash. It kept crashing during this cutscene for some reason, and not even at one specific spot in it.

Tried ISLC, finally made it through the cutscene. Whew great, that seemed to work. Make it out to the next big fight and... crash.

Seems to be crashing every 5-15 minutes now.

Well poo poo. Guess I have to wait for them to fix this nonsense before actually playing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
:pcgaming:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Male of the Century posted:

The devs have already responded in typical "We're listening" manner, but this is also a flagship 1st party Sony game. They can't have something like this being a black mark on their new console launch window statistics when it comes time to get people who were introduced on the game on PC and move onto the sequel on PS5. We may wind up going down a Batman road here where nothing they try fixes it, but rest assured they will be trying at least!
Yeah, I hope someone at Sony cares about this. Whether or not they can do anything about it though...

Logan 5 posted:

I was doing okay, humming along at 45-55 FPS but a crash every hour or two for no discernible reason. Really annoying, but little to no stutter anywhere and certainly playable with Gsync.

Then I got to the cutscene where Aloy talks with Neersa in All-Mother after recovering from the Proving. Crashed. Ok well whatever. Boot again, start the cutscence, get halfway through, annnnd crash. It kept crashing during this cutscene for some reason, and not even at one specific spot in it.

Tried ISLC, finally made it through the cutscene. Whew great, that seemed to work. Make it out to the next big fight and... crash.

Seems to be crashing every 5-15 minutes now.

Well poo poo. Guess I have to wait for them to fix this nonsense before actually playing.
pcgamingwiki has an entry about crashes that may or may not be legit, but it's easy to try and find out if you need to:

quote:

Seldom crashes due to game trying to write to nonexistent memory address • Link

Game is trying to write to memory address 0.
This fix is believed to reduce the number of crashes due to memory write errors.
Some users report that this fix does not work, and may make crashes even more frequent.

Open the Horizon Zero Dawn.exe with a hex editor and replace all instances of C7042500000000A7DCEA0D with 9090909090909090909090

Edit: Jut be sure to make a copy of the game's exe file before editing it. Use HxD or any other HEX editor.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 9, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Steam discussion board is a warzone, there is no talk about the actual game taking place there, it's only tech support questions, refund debates or troll threads. No moderation either.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A lot of people who PC couchgame do 50hz (since TVs support that refresh rate), it's a legit thing to do if you have ageing hardware & can't quite keep a consistent 60 frames per second in games. I ran MHW at 4k50 on my 1080ti for example.

I don't know if it will help the game's actual animation issues though, I think if animations were tied to framerate you might have more luck trying 30hz since that's the source material.

I'm kinda split on that - memory fuckups are potentially so loving weird that I'd believe it if higher framerates caused a crash to develop faster than it would on marginal hardware. Of course that hardware probably has the stuttering instead, so, :v:

Man this port sucks and that's sad. I'm gonna play it and love it anyway as I curse it :arghfist::(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I remember reading some time ago that there something I'm not supposed to miss when I'm inside the mountain after the Proving?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I mean, this sort of thing happens literally all the time. The "we're listening" line is cool and all but do you think this was a total surprise? Enough AAA companies have released totally broken PC ports that there's probably a ton of data that just releasing the thing and promising to fix it eventually is a better financial move than delaying it until it's in a more stable state, especially because there's a chance people pull a Dark Souls / Nier and just fix the game for you

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sailor Dave posted:

I've noticed a weird issue when using a non-standard resolution in borderless mode (Depending on your monitor. I've been using 1920x1440 or 1920x1200 because it's a decent compromise between 1080 and 1440 and somehow this raises the render resolution without stretching the screen.) My brightness suddenly gets overblown when I close the map, and it never goes away:

The only way to fix it is to change the resolution to a standard size and then back. But then it still happens when I open and close the map. Annoying.

I'm getting this too. I was in windowed mode and changed back to borderless and that fixed it, at least for now. What is it?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Gave it a try with an i7-8700k, 16gb ram, 1070 gtx paired with a 240hz 1080p monitor. I got it running nicely with the fps >=60 fps. No microstutter of any kind. Shader compilation seems to take about 15 minutes.

Things done to get this:
- Update gpu drivers
- AF forced through driver
- Use TF optimized recommended graphics settings
- ISLC as recommended with 2048/4096 setting

Considering the magnitude of power available compared to the ps4 gpu, this performance is still very much on the bad side. But its stable and fluid, no crashes.

The default controls are almost perfect. Gonna probably move a few things about. Scan is too useful to put on that default keybind - feels odd to use. Also normal difficulty is probably too low for kb+m. May raise it later. The automatically activated aim assist is pretty aggressive, I pulled some stunts thanks o that. I may even opt out of the slowmo skills at first. But regardless its incredibly fun and looks great.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 9, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Lone Badger posted:

I remember reading some time ago that there something I'm not supposed to miss when I'm inside the mountain after the Proving?

That would be the the power cell, in a side room while you're inside. However, you will get the chance to get it again later in the game , and the quest you need it for can't actually be completed until very close to the end of the game, anyway.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Guerrilla you dumb idiots always open with a menu, don't just jump right to a loving cutscene. Idiots.

Oh I forgot it was unskippable too, fuckin brilliant.

Dreadwroth2 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 9, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ciaphas posted:

I'm kinda split on that - memory fuckups are potentially so loving weird that I'd believe it if higher framerates caused a crash to develop faster than it would on marginal hardware. Of course that hardware probably has the stuttering instead, so, :v:

Man this port sucks and that's sad. I'm gonna play it and love it anyway as I curse it :arghfist::(

Nope, crash at 50hz. Wonder what else I can try now...

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Anecdotal, but the ISLC trick appears to have significantly increased my performance once I set it to 2048/4096. Definitely worth trying for people having problems.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Well refund time, its just as poo poo as everyone was saying.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

Missing it doesn't matter. Technically you'll get locked out of the area temporarily, but you come back later in the story. The item is a collectible that, if you get five of them, you unlock something, but one of the ones you need is also locked behind a story mission, so you can't even get the unlock if you grab the item early because the story-gated one is AFTER you get access to that zone again

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I forgot this game has fall damage, and killed myself swan diving off a cliff after Rost asked me to get some parts.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Guerrilla you dumb idiots always open with a menu, don't just jump right to a loving cutscene. Idiots.

Oh I forgot it was unskippable too, fuckin brilliant.

I mean opening straight into a cutscene was cool on the PS4 but a terrible idea on PC.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Unskipppable cutscenes at all should be unforgivable

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

yeah on PS4 it was a nice little twist

you CAN skip it on PC (not in a logical way though) ALT+F4 brings up a yes/no dialogue and hitting no shoots you past the intro to the menu.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Male of the Century posted:

Yeah this PC port is an advertisement for HZD 2, so this can and will decide whether or not people buy PS5's that's not even getting into the fact that it could've also been a test to see how well PS4 exclusives sell on PCs.

With WB and Batman the video game division is not a thing WB is really known for but with Sony video games is like half their PR they kinda have to fix it or risk screwing up multiple ad pushes.

Like imagine googling HZD because you saw HZD 2 and the 1st page is PC port turbo screwed everyone pissed.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

itry posted:

Yeah, I hope someone at Sony cares about this. Whether or not they can do anything about it though...

pcgamingwiki has an entry about crashes that may or may not be legit, but it's easy to try and find out if you need to:

code posted:

code

Edit: Jut be sure to make a copy of the game's exe file before editing it. Use HxD or any other HEX editor.

wow this actually worked for me, was able to do cutscenes and change all my settings in game no problem both would cause a crash before, have done like 7 cutscenes already. thanks for this find

edit: I got this friend who just built his pc and he's got this weird migrating polygon problem with hzd and I was wondering if it's because he downloaded the studio nvidia drivers instead of the game ready ones

haven't seen anyone else with this problem not even sure what to call it. I told him to try to install the game ready driver but he's lazy.

editx2: game ready fixed it, I'd delete it but I'm just gonna leave it up in case it helps someone.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 9, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Qmass posted:

yeah on PS4 it was a nice little twist

you CAN skip it on PC (not in a logical way though) ALT+F4 brings up a yes/no dialogue and hitting no shoots you past the intro to the menu.

Huh, that's the weirdest skip cutscene button combo I've ever heard of.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Ultra hard really doesn't mess around. Been a while since I've played an open world game of this nature that's as challenging.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Ultra hard really doesn't mess around. Been a while since I've played an open world game of this nature that's as challenging.

Is ultra hard unlocked on PC from the get-go?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, my performance isn't great on my old venerable 970 but it stays at a respectable 30-40 frames most of the time. Except I just went into the first Cauldron and goddamn something about that area is insanely performance draining. Weirdly not even the later parts where its open and has a lot of lights, it was an early dark uninteresting corridor that dropped me to like 10-15 fps until I got past it.

Honestly I'm still not sure what it is that has people raving about this game. It seems like a decent enough map-marker-remover but nothing about it is really wowing me. It's... Fine. I find it kind of annoying that you have all these specialized weapons but you can only have four selected at a time. I guess with the ammo selection being in the same wheel it wasn't really reasonable to have an eight weapon selection, but it's still irritating. It means there are several weapons I probably don't use as much as I should because I can't be fucker to go into my menu and swap them around.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I really understood how big this game was until I left the sacred land. WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If the gameplay loop isn't hitting your buttons you can mainline the story and if you don't like the story or the gameplay by the time you finish Maker's End you can safely close the game and never think about it again.