Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

i7-8700 16gigs ram and 1070 and have pretty stable 50-60 fps @ 1440 on 'original' settings I rarely notice hitching and have only had one crash in 22hrs (according to steam) game alt-tabs and resumes no probs. so I feel pretty lucky. I also didn't update my video driver because I don't believe it has ever helped (unless a driver was specifically causing a problem - which usually happens when you update a driver) I think my driver is from march so its well seasoned but not ancient.

having said that negative mouse acceleration pisses me off

edit: oh and it always exits kinda weird. steam says it is still running and the STOPX button in steam doesn't do anything but if you leave it for a while eventually it appears to shut itself down completely. I haven't restarted my computer in days and it still runs fine so I think eventually it is doing the right thing, despite appearing to the contrary.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

srulz posted:

Does this game have a storage chest/container or somewhere I can put/sell & get back to them later 100% confirmed? I'm currently filling up way too fast on the mods, and even after using my DLC gear as the mod storage, I still overload. Fox is also a pain to farm at the moment, so am stuck at 30 or so.

No storage container, you’ll just need to cull some stuff.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
The game runs absolutely perfect for me on a 2080ti with 32GB of RAM running 3440x1440 everything ultra'ed. I know it's completely pointless to say that but I am always the guy poo poo doesn't work for (RDR2 was a nightmare) and felt I needed to say it out loud.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It loving better run like that on a 2080ti. If that kind of power can't brute force the performance issues,, nothing would.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GPU power seems to be the least of this port's problems. My 2080 is sitting here at like 67 degrees and 32% usage under load.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Pc performance is so crazy. One minute its fine next, it's wildly unplayable than goes back to 60fps no problem for no reason. Anywhere I can read a deep dive that goes into the game's code or is it too early for that?

Also, Holy mother of god gently caress Ted Faro.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Red Mundus posted:

Pc performance is so crazy. One minute its fine next, it's wildly unplayable than goes back to 60fps no problem for no reason. Anywhere I can read a deep dive that goes into the game's code or is it too early for that?

I knew there was a reason I kept this thread bookmarked.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
I'm really enjoying this game (it's so beautiful and I love Aloy and the story and worldbuilding is amazing) but this crash right after my first Thunderjaw kill sucked extremely hard.

Edit: I was fine playing for a few hours yesterday but today it's been non-stop crashes, multiple times per hour. :(

cyclical fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 13, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I REQUIRE FATTY MEAT

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

awesmoe posted:

I REQUIRE FATTY MEAT

Easiest way to farm meat is to take a mount and just rampage through a forest. Grand Theft Boar.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

madfury posted:

Easiest way to farm meat is to take a mount and just rampage through a forest. Grand Theft Boar.
this sounds excellent and I'm here for it

e: gently caress this game is pretty

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Qmass posted:

i7-8700 16gigs ram and 1070 and have pretty stable 50-60 fps @ 1440 on 'original' settings I rarely notice hitching and have only had one crash in 22hrs (according to steam) game alt-tabs and resumes no probs. so I feel pretty lucky. I also didn't update my video driver because I don't believe it has ever helped (unless a driver was specifically causing a problem - which usually happens when you update a driver) I think my driver is from march so its well seasoned but not ancient.

having said that negative mouse acceleration pisses me off

edit: oh and it always exits kinda weird. steam says it is still running and the STOPX button in steam doesn't do anything but if you leave it for a while eventually it appears to shut itself down completely. I haven't restarted my computer in days and it still runs fine so I think eventually it is doing the right thing, despite appearing to the contrary.

Dang we're practically similar ('cept i have 32gb ram) but im like 10-15 frames lower than that. Odd :thunk:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

GPU power seems to be the least of this port's problems. My 2080 is sitting here at like 67 degrees and 32% usage under load.

And yet my 1070 is going full ham to render the game. The difference in power still matters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A few screenshots featuring one of my favorite supporting characters, Vanasha's abs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mindblast posted:

And yet my 1070 is going full ham to render the game. The difference in power still matters.

I mean my 1070 isn't giving me crazy high fps at 1080p, but it's also barely getting warm somehow when other games barbecue it so I have no idea.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

sean10mm posted:

I mean my 1070 isn't giving me crazy high fps at 1080p, but it's also barely getting warm somehow when other games barbecue it so I have no idea.

Its very strange behavior all around. My 1070 is actually running at the temps you'd expect it to for when running a game.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mindblast posted:

Its very strange behavior all around. My 1070 is actually running at the temps you'd expect it to for when running a game.

What it is doing is using a way higher % of vram than makes any sense for medium settings on a PS4 game.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I have to say the prologue has the most adorable player model. All the little stumbles and skips and the way she runs up the stairs :3:.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

What it is doing is using a way higher % of vram than makes any sense for medium settings on a PS4 game.

Someone in the GPU thread said it’s maxing out a 2080Ti’s 11GB of VRAM at 4k, which is loving bonkers. The only time I hit 8GB used on my 2070S is if I’m playing a game with a 40+GB high def texture pack downloaded and running.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ror posted:

This is a really minor thing and I can't tell how much is in my head, but the camera position behind you never seems to be in the right place. Maybe I'm spoiled because I've been playing a lot of Hitman where you can manually change if from left to right, but it seems like it wants to settle on the left side of Aloy most of the time. Except when you go into aiming mode it's always on the right side. It just feels slightly off to me a lot.

Over the shoulder camera is absolutely awful and just makes you walk diagonally everywhere. It feels bad and plays bad. If the camera position seems to be in the wrong place, then it probably is.

If there are ever mods for this game the first ones I'm going to use are no fall damage and custom camera control.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

OK, this is no longer cute. HZD now crashes before I can even get to the splash screen. I played up to the proving and force-quit just as the plot twist happened because I had to clean up some glass my cat knocked over.

Since then, the game crashes instantly when I try to start it, before the splash screen even occurs. On both my PCs. Even after verifying the files. Even after a re-install. Even after I wiped my save data.

I'm pissed. Completely unacceptable for shovelware, let alone a AAA release. Anyone experience something like this, or more hopefully, a fix?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm on the hunting lodge trial that wants me to tie down a Trampler and destroy their belly bit, but I'm not getting credit - I suspect because the ropes are breaking while I'm shooting hardpoint arrows. Do I really have to do two tiedowns per trampler? That seems difficult in a minute thirty.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm on the hunting lodge trial that wants me to tie down a Trampler and destroy their belly bit, but I'm not getting credit - I suspect because the ropes are breaking while I'm shooting hardpoint arrows. Do I really have to do two tiedowns per trampler? That seems difficult in a minute thirty.

Try freeze -> tie down -> shoot the belly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Try freeze -> tie down -> shoot the belly.

Hah, that got it in one, thanks! :tipshat:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Or you can just shoot the belly once or twice first, then tie it down and fire the finishing shot.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Have they acknowledged the lack of snow deformation in the DLC? I kind of don't want to even start that area if it might get fixed.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kaddish posted:

Have they acknowledged the lack of snow deformation in the DLC? I kind of don't want to even start that area if it might get fixed.

It's also missing the ice flowing around when you move in water effect too. Pretty sad its gone. Frozen Wilds on ps4 was so pretty with the little details.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Red Mundus posted:

:bisonyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The looting bongo drums could go imo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I didn't have that many problems with the port, but I let Windows do an update last night and now every time I try to start HZD it tells me that its crashed and won't start lol

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

I always wonder when I see this if someone has gotten to the bigger reason why gently caress Ted Faro or if they’ve only gotten to the first reason.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's just the customary prefix to his name. Like Sir, or Mr.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

brain dammej posted:

Thanks both. What does "just fine" mean in FPS terms? Similar framerate?

Somewhere between 60 and 120, I dunno, I haven't really measured the exact framerate but I'm not noticing any weird stutter or freezes so it's good enough.

I note that I'm not running the 20-04 update for Windows 10...maybe that has something to do with the issues people are having?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kibayasu posted:

I always wonder when I see this if someone has gotten to the bigger reason why gently caress Ted Faro or if they’ve only gotten to the first reason.

Creating sentient robot dinosaurs for "peacekeeping" and then losing control and having them destroy human civilization seems bad already, but I'm not that far in the story yet and I'm guessing there's something else that makes him even worse. Maybe he did it on purpose or something. Still don't even know what the Horizon project is at this point, everyone's being real vague about what it entails.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Creating sentient robot dinosaurs for "peacekeeping" and then losing control and having them destroy human civilization seems bad already, but I'm not that far in the story yet and I'm guessing there's something else that makes him even worse. Maybe he did it on purpose or something. Still don't even know what the Horizon project is at this point, everyone's being real vague about what it entails.

Oh man, you aren't even close to a proper "gently caress Ted Faro"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah that’s the first reason.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Gorn Myson posted:

I didn't have that many problems with the port, but I let Windows do an update last night and now every time I try to start HZD it tells me that its crashed and won't start lol

gently caress, is it the Windows update that's loving me too? I've had a few crashes before, but today has been especially bad, with crashing less than two minutes after starting up the game.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I tried rolling back the updates but still can't even get the game to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Ted Faro is an onion with many layers.