Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saint Freak posted:

This is Exquisite Tea's image, but I'm sure a lot of people took a similar one around this point.

There are definitely some valleys in the beginning and some peaks towards the end in facial animation.

FYI, the armor on the left is from the DLC area. You can meet the character on the right relatively early after the whole game map opens up and I was so happy when they let you get her armor minus the weird chin strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Yeah, it's important to remember that HZD is older than ghosts and death stranding. HZD and DS might have the same engine, but DS had two more years of tech advancements to work with.

Also, HZD was a brand new type of game for Guerrilla. You can definitely see them getting a LOT better over time during the game. The overall amazing and consistent quality of the DLC has me stoked for H:FW, because it shows how much better they are now compared to when they were developing HZD.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turns out that maybe the game does have some serious performance issues after all and it wasn't just me not having $settingX on / off (which was the case if you listened to YouTube comments).

quote:

When a game is content-complete but requires polish and bug-testing, it's considered beta code - and that's the impression we got from this conversion when we tested it, to the point where much of the reviewing process has been a case of testing and re-testing the game on multiple pieces of hardware to answer a simple question - is there something wrong with our kit or is the game at fault?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-tech-review

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DF expands on the technical issues the port has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w-pZm7Zay4

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Horizon aside, I'm a bit lacking in trust with Digital Foundry after they gave a Star Citizen promo a satin-gloved hand-job.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

Turns out that maybe the game does have some serious performance issues after all and it wasn't just me not having $settingX on / off (which was the case if you listened to YouTube comments).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-horizon-zero-dawn-pc-tech-review

Was just reading this. I'm still going to give it a shot tomorrow since I'm running on 1080p with an RTX 2060, but I have a 4-core 4-thread CPU which apparently is a huge hindrance. Might have to just shelve this one until a performance patch hits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh, something I didn't figure out until late in the game, one of the collectibles is called "Vantage Points" and you get a short audio clip when you find them. If you go into notebook there's a much longer text that goes with them that tells a much deeper story. So if you are collecting them make sure to check that out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Der Shovel posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Goddamn that's loving dire. A 1060 really shouldn't just eat poo poo running a PS4 game.

Really wanted to play this day one, I can tolerate some bug, but big yikes. What fuckups.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Boo! Well hopefully my system will have some magical combination of technology to get a stable framerate.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Horizon aside, I'm a bit lacking in trust with Digital Foundry after they gave a Star Citizen promo a satin-gloved hand-job.

Definitely a bad video but this is just a detailed listing of all the issues which have been confirmed from other sources. The SC fandom sucks but it has no bearing on a video which just goes through what the settings do relative to performance and how is struggles across various configs.

This, imo, is actually worse than Arkham Knight. Of course that port was legendary, but iirc even at launch while a solid 60 was out of the question, it was at least possible to at least get a pretty consistent 30fps, which for the PC was disappointing of course but with cards like the 970 you could even get close to 4k (say 1800p) at that framerate. With this, even a 1060 at the same setttings and res as the PS4, and you can't get a sustained 30 at 1080p. That's bizarre.

They even hosed up the new dynamic foliage settings. Jesus.

BTW, this is the website of the porting studio:

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 6, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

poo poo, at this point we might have to clone Durante.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Der Shovel posted:

wump wump

What a disappointment.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
are we doing the thing where if a 30 fps game doesn't run at 60++ fps it's a garbage trashfire port or is there other issues

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Gamerofthegame posted:

are we doing the thing where if a 30 fps game doesn't run at 60++ fps it's a garbage trashfire port or is there other issues

Yup 60fps 4K ultra settings or its 100% trash.

Folks saying it seems to run fine on ps4 quality at 1080 and 1440 if your hardware is up to it which seems fine to me. I have a 3770k and 1080ti and am not worried. They do need to fix the options that are obviously broken but that's not a big deal and they've acknowledged it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

More like it stutters at 1080p with much better than PS4 Pro hardware on your PC and has dumb glitches.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Gamerofthegame posted:

No, plenty of other issues. See the DF video.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Very disappointed that the port is bad, the digital foundry review basically used my exact setup as a benchmark and it couldn’t hit 30 fps. Hopefully they patch it and it doesn’t turn into an Arkham knight situation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ashpanash posted:

I liked the Outer Wilds a lot. This game's story is much better. (My opinion, of course.)

if this game doesnt produce tears, im coming for you "ashpanash"

i need to feel again

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zikan posted:

Very disappointed that the port is bad, the digital foundry review basically used my exact setup as a benchmark and it couldn’t hit 30 fps. Hopefully they patch it and it doesn’t turn into an Arkham knight situation.

Yeah an i5-8400/GTX 1060 gagging at 1080p at normal (not MEGA ULTRA EVERYTHING) settings does not seem reasonable at all for a game made to run on 2013 console hardware. :wtf:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

This, imo, is actually worse than Arkham Knight.

The best thing about the Arkham Knight port was that it would the do Unreal Engine thing where every model is a smudgy mess for a few seconds before the textures load in, only it would just stay like that forever. Really hoping the Horizon port isn't that dire but the links people are posting aren't promising.

Already bought it and preloaded it though. If it's an unplayable mess there's always the Steam refund.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well this has just saved me £40.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

How long have we known it was getting outsourced?! Crap, I thought Guerilla themselves were handling it. :doh:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The best thing about the Arkham Knight port was that it would the do Unreal Engine thing where every model is a smudgy mess for a few seconds before the textures load in, only it would just stay like that forever. Really hoping the Horizon port isn't that dire but the links people are posting aren't promising.

Already bought it and preloaded it though. If it's an unplayable mess there's always the Steam refund.

It has some visual glitches for sure but the overriding problem with it is the performance is just insanely bad for any given level of hardware. Rendering similar scenes at 1080p on the same PC hardware, HZD will get 29 FPS vs. 70+ for Death Stranding. That's sustained numbers while walking around outdoors without any action going on, not a split-second dip in a :catdrugs: action scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w-pZm7Zay4&t=1153s

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w-pZm7Zay4&t=1232s

That's just "your poo poo is broken right now" levels of bad porting.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 6, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

sean10mm posted:

That's just "your poo poo is broken right now" levels of bad porting.

And apparently the 35GB day-1 patch doesn't fix anything according to the DF port review. I actually kept Arkham Knight on PC after basically everyone refunded it and played through the whole game with everything looking like a featureless blob. The only game that was ever broken enough on release for me to Steam refund it was Dishonored 2, if this can't even hit 30FPS consistently at modest resolution and settings it will probably be the second.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 6, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

This, imo, is actually worse than Arkham Knight. Of course that port was legendary, but iirc even at launch while a solid 60 was out of the question, it was at least possible to at least get a pretty consistent 30fps, which for the PC was disappointing of course but with cards like the 970 you could even get close to 4k (say 1800p) at that framerate. With this, even a 1060 at the same setttings and res as the PS4, and you can't get a sustained 30 at 1080p. That's bizarre.

Here's a bunch of benchmarks, middle of page. This port looks kinda hosed considering it's originally a game targeting hardware from 2013.

In short: At 1080p 16:9, a machine with a 1080 Ti (2016, high-end GPU) and a Ryzen 9 3900X (2019, high-end CPU) can barely sustain 50 FPS in one of the game's most demanding environments on the ultra presets.

If you want 4K, you'll need a 2080 Ti to hit something close to 40.

Deakul posted:

How long have we known it was getting outsourced?! Crap, I thought Guerilla themselves were handling it. :doh:

Me too, but apparently it's by Virtuos, who have a very hit-and-miss track record. They ported The Outer Worlds to Switch, which the world would be better off without.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
So the consensus is to simply wait for patches.

Welp. Business as usual I guess.

I'll wait for this to get on a sale anyways, not paying full price for a ported game, that long ago broke even.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

And apparently the 35GB day-1 patch

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Guessing it's not so much a patch as all the game content that's left out of the pre-load. Steam said to set aside 100Gb for installation and the pre-load was ~70GB.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zero Dawn takes up like 40gb on my Playstation 4.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

And apparently the 35GB day-1 patch doesn't fix anything according to the DF port review.

Indeed. I didn't even notice it had been installed because there was no change whatsoever. I want to stress the game is very playable, though. The micro-stuttering is annoying but not game-breaking, and the content is as amazing as ever.

Skwirl posted:

Zero Dawn takes up like 40gb on my Playstation 4.

71 gigs on the PC.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 6, 2020

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Big ooof on the reviews I've been seeing re: PC performance, but to go back a page to people asking about release time:

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Honestly why don't they just have a loving countdown to the release, do they lose money somehow by doing that? Being in the UK I never know it's gonna release NZ time or west coast US time.

There is a countdown timer on the HZD splash banner on the Steam homepage now, looks like it is counting down to 11 am EST tomorrow for me (so that's 8 am PST, or 5 pm UTC+1)

edit: minor correction to the above times, I goofed and was an hour off. Seems to be the same release time worldwide.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 7, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well... at least that means by the time my morning status meeting is done tomorrow I'll be able to decrypt this and bitch about the performance :shobon:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is that for all regions? Has anyone tried a NZ VPN?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is that for all regions? Has anyone tried a NZ VPN?

Pretty sure its the same for all regions, seeing a lot of angry posts on Steam from aussies and EUR about the late release time.

So no VPN'ing to get access early.

note I was slightly off about the time, it is 8 am PST / 11 am EST / 5 pm UTC+1.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea, I'm in NZ and its not unlocking til 3am tonight which seems bizarre, according to the Steam countdown at least.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I respect Digital Foundry for going in hard on this port when other outlets seemed to have nothing but good things to say about it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

AndrewP posted:

I respect Digital Foundry for going in hard on this port when other outlets seemed to have nothing but good things to say about it

A couple other sites slammed it hard too, Techradar and Ars Technica had pretty negative headlines for it too.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
There is no way in hell I could play it with the hitching.

I just barely made it through Bioshock Infinite which had a somewhat similar issue, though that was due to loading in content. I tried to replay it a few months back, and even on a Samsung Evo 970 NVME SSD it still has the problem.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I'd bet the average review site does so with like a 3900X and 2080ti test rig and isn't focused on doing more exhaustive PC performance testing. Rather, they're reviewing a game again that already had a critical consensus, and with a high-end system its more like just tick the boxes of what was promised (higher refresh rates, more resolutions) and only mention the performance hiccups but opine that they don't completely break the total experience.

But lordy look at this performance comparison (with the day-1 patch) on a 1060/1650/580:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQJZ464WFQ

Ya know, the cards most people have according to Steam.

I'm sure it will be fixed, at least in some capacity, eventually. But they really should've have delayed, better to eat the complaints about the delay than the inevitable ragging they're going to get tomorrow on how unplayable it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

That video showing how much better Death Stranding runs kind of makes me want to play it now.

It's not like I'm playing HZD anytime soon on my "lowly" i5 6600k/GTX 1070 from the looks of it! :haw: