Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

At this point I'm genuinely curious where my i5 9600k & 1080Ti are going to end up, especially trying to drive 3440x1440 :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

I'd bet the average review site does so with like a 3900X and 2080ti test rig and isn't focused on doing more exhaustive PC performance testing. Rather, they're reviewing a game again that already had a critical consensus, and with a high-end system its more like just tick the boxes of what was promised (higher refresh rates, more resolutions) and only mention the performance hiccups but opine that they don't completely break the total experience.

But lordy look at this performance comparison (with the day-1 patch) on a 1060/1650/580:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQJZ464WFQ

Ya know, the cards most people have according to Steam.

I'm sure it will be fixed, at least in some capacity, eventually. But they really should've have delayed, better to eat the complaints about the delay than the inevitable ragging they're going to get tomorrow on how unplayable it is.

good lord. how do you release a game in this state?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The part that’s funny to me is that a likely reason that it doesn’t have DLSS 2.0, which would make it at least playable on some computers, is that AMD sponsored it.

So they just paid to have their name attached to a completely hosed port.

The sponsorship was on the CPU side for sure, since I don’t think AMD does any GPU sponsorships, so it was a total unforced error.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
drat, that sucks. Hopefully they fix it fast and people can actually enjoy what was a really great game. :smith:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The part that’s funny to me is that a likely reason that it doesn’t have DLSS 2.0, which would make it at least playable on some computers, is that AMD sponsored it.

So they just paid to have their name attached to a completely hosed port.

The sponsorship was on the CPU side for sure, since I don’t think AMD does any GPU sponsorships, so it was a total unforced error.

A lot of the advertising for the Arkham Knight PC port was centered around new PhysX effects which would showcase the abilities of Nvidia cards. The game was already a mess but turning on any of those effects would drop the FPS to genuinely unplayable levels.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Lumpy posted:

drat, that sucks. Hopefully they fix it fast and people can actually enjoy what was a really great game. :smith:

Why do you think they'll fix it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

A lot of the advertising for the Arkham Knight PC port was centered around new PhysX effects which would showcase the abilities of Nvidia cards. The game was already a mess but turning on any of those effects would drop the FPS to genuinely unplayable levels.

PhysX wasn’t even new, it had existed since 2004, it was just an ongoing disaster on the same level of AMD’s graphics cards for the past ten years. NVidia was just trying to bring that back and, welp.

I miss ATi, the Radeon 9800 was one of my favorite graphics cards ever and AMD made, and still makes, some insanely good CPUs, but the whole AMD GPU side of things is a complete disasterpiece.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
This thing has to entertain me until Wasteland 3. I am sure it will.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
But will Wasteland 3?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rinkles posted:

But will Wasteland 3?

Yes :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pretty obvious the port was not brought to you by Montana Recreations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Everyone worried about their 4k 60 fps and I'm over here just hoping I can scrape 30 fps 1080 on my old reliable 970. I really need to budget for a new graphics card, but they're so pricey...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Infinity Gaia posted:

Everyone worried about their 4k 60 fps and I'm over here just hoping I can scrape 30 fps 1080 on my old reliable 970. I really need to budget for a new graphics card, but they're so pricey...

I mean a 1060 can't hold >30 FPS in this thing so you're probably SOL in its current state. That says less about your card and more about how bad the port is though. IIRC 1080p60 in Death Stranding with a 1060 is no big deal and it's the same engine.

Like I have an i5/1070 combo and based on the benchmarks I'm pretty boned because apparently the game turbo hates 4 core i5s and the 1080p60 line is like a 2070 Super or some poo poo.

e: 2 of the top 3 stories if you search the game on Google are "this is a poo poo port" lmao

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 7, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It will probably run as well as a 1060.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's insulting to me is that they are asking $50 for this.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

itry posted:

It will probably run as well as a 1060.

Unfortunately that means "like poo poo."

Rinkles posted:

I mean if it was optimized like Death Stranding where people with i5/1060 systems ran consistent 70 fps @ 1080p and newer cards can run 1440p or even 4k with DLSS like it's no big deal that would be one thing.

But it's a lazy hack job port that has weird stutter issues even on 3900X/RTX 2080 Ti systems and basic features that don't work. AF became mainstream in 1999 and this game somehow can't implement it on release.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Rinkles posted:

I am surprise about these comments. The publisher will ask what it thinks the market will pay. Has very little to do with the value of a product or in this case - how much time and money was spent on the port. If people dont buy it at $50, then the price will quickly drop.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I played more. The game's still amazing, one of the best of the generation. Either I got used to the stuttering or I found some magical combination of settings to make it go away, but I barely even notice it anymore.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you've got a good machine, the PC version is IMO the best way to play HZD. I just really really hope they somehow patch the performance, but I'm not holding my breath.

System:
- Core I7-8700
- RTX 2080 Super
- 32 gigs of DDR4-3200MHz
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Settings: 1440p, game defaulted to "prefer quality" and I didn't really do anything about it. Works the best at full screen with VSYNC and FPS limiting turned off.

I get about 60-70 FPS with the occasional dip to ~55. Not what I'd expect a game like this to perform like, but it's playable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Der Shovel posted:

I played more. The game's still amazing, one of the best of the generation. Either I got used to the stuttering or I found some magical combination of settings to make it go away, but I barely even notice it anymore.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you've got a good machine, the PC version is IMO the best way to play HZD. I just really really hope they somehow patch the performance, but I'm not holding my breath.

System:
- Core I7-8700
- RTX 2080 Super
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Settings: 1440p, game defaulted to "prefer quality" and I didn't really do anything about it. Works the best at full screen with VSYNC and FPS limiting turned off.

I get about 60-70 FPS with the occasional dip to ~55. Not what I'd expect a game like this to perform like, but it's playable.

If you can, do you wanna try running Intelligent Standy List Cleaner with a memory threshold of like 2048 and test if that reduces stutter? I've used this before on DX12 games with similar stuttering problems and it's like a magic wand sometimes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

System:
- Core I7-8700
- RTX 2080 Super
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus

i mean, those are high end specs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If you can, do you wanna try running Intelligent Standy List Cleaner with a memory threshold of like 2048 and test if that reduces stutter? I've used this before on DX12 games with similar stuttering problems and it's like a magic wand sometimes.

wonder if that would help with my Andromeda stuttering problems. even trying to play it at 30 locked felt bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Naive memory management is like the #1 problem of PC ports that originate on console.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How long is the game, and is there a ng+ and is it good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Going off my PS4 playthrough: 40-50 hours if you do the DLC and are a completionist, yes, and it’s one of the best games ever.

Can’t speak to the port yet, going to install it when it unlocks since that’s faster than decrypting.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
well, the countdown has reached 0 but it's still not unlocked. how does this usually work?

e: reopened steam, now it's unpacking. that's how that usually works.

Superterranean fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 7, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think there's 5 minutes to go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Superterranean posted:

well, the countdown has reached 0 but it's still not unlocked. how does this usually work?

Do you have it preloaded? Check to make sure it’s not in your download queue with a small decryption patch. I just started downloading it and noticed it’s still 75 GB, which I believe was the preload size.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I am very slowly unpacking.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

zoux posted:

It's an A+ game with like a D- port as of right now even with the day 1 patch.

Everyone's just hoping that they patch it into something that runs decently instead of having frame drops on 2080 Supers and poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

exquisite tea posted:

I'll give it a shot and report back!

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

sean10mm posted:

Everyone's just hoping that they patch it into something that runs decently instead of having frame drops on 2080 Supers and poo poo.

This will not happen. The company that made the port has already forgotten about it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This optimally optimizing for an optimal experience operation sure takes a while.

Edit: 10 to 15 minutes according to Steam.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

itry posted:

This optimally optimizing for an optimal experience operation sure takes a while.

They should have optimised the optimiser.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I meant is the NG+ good, I know the game is good

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They should have optimised the optimiser.

:hmmyes:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

No I meant is the NG+ good, I know the game is good

There’s a side quest for a neat armor that you can only get at the end of the game, so NG+ is great for dicking around with that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Panderfringe posted:

Why do you think they'll fix it?

Probably because they will sell more copies if they fix it, and then they will make more money, which is something companies tend to want to do. But maybe they will decide not to! I’m not in charge of them, so I certainly can’t say for sure, which is why you will see I used the word “hopefully “ there in the post you quoted to indicate that uncertainty on my part.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What is it even doing?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What is it even doing?

It's preloading shaders into memory so that (ostensibly) it runs into fewer hitching problems trying to call them in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

lol @eating 20GB of RAM immediately after starting. Thats... new.