Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Would you like to talk about why you went Meritocracy/Government/Mind? I find myself going for Meritocracy and Mind more often than not. It seems crazy to me that the best postures and the research bonus are both under Mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Commerce has ways to boost the CHA of governors fairly cheaply. I usually end up with all of my governors on the local corporation's board of directors. But sometimes the best option is just to do nothing, especially after you have reached Capable Small Business.

Edit: Also it appears your opponent started with Fist and is moving into Mind. I wonder how many disposable Milita units they have to throw around...

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 29, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Holy cow, is that a GR shield truck on the other end of the northern chokepoint? I had one of those in a single player game and it made whatever it was stacked with practically invulnerable. Like an APC for everything.

Happy to see you making more OHQs to go with your multiple independent units. The game goes through a lot of trouble to avoid runaway multiplication on the economic side, but goes crazy with military stuff.

This is a bad example, but you get the idea.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 1, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Probably my biggest complaint about the game as it currently stands is that there are no OHQ formations that incorporate weird stuff like motorbikes, jetpack troopers, self propelled artillery, or walkers. I know all of these units are not what you want as baseline troops, but I still want them as more than hangers on. God knows there are already enough infantry/tank/artillery combinations in the game. The ship has already sailed on the OOB list being overcrowded.

Those motorcycle troops could be a real pain in the rear end if the enemy gets past the chokepoint. Throw a unit away every turn cutting supply lines with little you can do to stop them.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yeah, eating all of the penalties of war against a 100 relation neighbor is going to wreck your civilization. 16d10 Happiness loss in everything from cities and troop morale, prestige damage limiting your PP income, 8d10 Loyalty loss, and plain old Word loss. I am pretty sure the penalties for breaking a non-agression pact stack, and are particularly brutal on your Word. The only mechanical upside is if you want to boost your Fist profile. At that point you might as well stay at war, otherwise you will eat more penalties when you declare war on them again.

The AI is very good at sneakily breaking all your treaties before declaring war. Don't forget to check your letterbox if you team up with an AI. To be fair they don't have the option to say no to treaties sent by sufficiently skilled diplomats.

Also: Recruit Military technically could come from Supreme Command, but generally it comes from the Interior council. No particular profile required.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
There are cards explicitly for breaking Non Aggression pacts and every other bit of diplomatic buildup. Those cause some immediate relation loss and I am pretty sure it lowers the equilibrium relation state too.

While laser armed APCs are a big improvement they also suck up a bunch of power every turn. Enough power that you want power banks standing by to keep you from running out of power when fighting gets intense. Ammo is much easier to stockpile without dedicated facilities. So feel free to hold off until you finish field testing your old model.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Looking forward to season two.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Heavy light tanks make a lot of sense when there are no formations with dedicated AT guns. There are a wide variety of light tank + infantry formations where having something capable of dealing with armor is great. Also a heavy diesel engine hardly uses more oil on a light tank, without too much loss of mobility.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think that is next turn. 100mm armor is no joke, especially polymer armor. Especially tricky is the caliber/armor ratio penalty. Your tanks are losing half of their firepower against their main opponent.

I have blown a lot of industry and rare metal on polymer 100mm APCs and those were practically unstoppable against the AI.

edit: assuming a flat, commanderless plane, where all parties involved are at 100% readiness etc. Your tanks on the attack have a 144 out of 2234 chance of killing their opposite numbers.

edit edit: Assuming a history channel special on your respective tanks is a much better way to put it. Assuming I set up this equation properly any given attack has a 3.2% chance of being a hit, which in turn could be a retreat/pin/kill result. Not necessarily a kill like I assumed in the first edit.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 1, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Always stinks to lose a commander, especially when the replacement is a terrible leader with a useless specialization in high command. Lead from the front might get rid of this guy sooner rather than later.

That was some brutal counter battery fire, so there is some point to formations with built in artillery.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I have been thinking about your replacement woes. Could it be a logistics directional problem? It is much less likely with rail transport, but sometimes with truck based logistics you have lots of capacity to your capitol but none away from it due to truck exhaustion. You can dig in all the way to the individual truck or train route through preview logistics, its an option on the dedicated tab. Normally I associate this problem with the yellow mixed logistics line, but I am grasping at straws here.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 3, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Bonuses in combat are not square rooted, like economic bonuses are. The thing to keep in mind about the bonus summary is that it is all of the offensive and defensive bonuses calculated together. So you aren't really dealing out +9000% attacks but +100% attacks, +200% defence, +300% to hitpoints when you retreat etc. Still gets nuts when you have a good commander and not too many penalties, as minuses are calculated before bonuses.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Just watch out for your directors being whiners about losing too much funding at once. Even a single percentage point can lose you 4% relations. I am excessively paranoid about this, only make changes of a percentage point or two when my secretary brings up the budget. But I also can hardly remember my last unintentional revolt.

Edit: Last leader led revolt. Cities and religious sects revolt just fine.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 11, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
They have so many radioactives that they are selling off excess reserves. Also they are buying all the metal the market has every turn, for a pretty penny.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Tanks have a lesser penalty but are still troubled.

Very excited to see non-GR shield generators on the table. I know those suckers are great for keeping vital formations alive in the early-mid game. But the AI is too dumb to focus fire on them, so it might not work out against an actual person. Are you going to also build immobile shield generators for vital supply hubs? Very curious as to how well that works out. Either way your power supplies and high--tech supplies have new stressors.

If you want straight up kills out of your rockets and missiles you want to target smaller groups of troops. This way the enemy has a chance to be worn down by multiple attacks, instead of each attack going to a different formation. In theory you could use missile attacks against defenders that lose combat and retreat for maximum carnage. Sort of a substitute for air or ground pursuit forces.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Stationary shield generators are technically called wide area generators and require you to design a mobile shield generator first. Make sure to keep some plain old garrison troops around to soak hits. Direct hits on a shield generator causes it to lose twice the hp/readiness. Also keep them out of turbulent cities where you plan to shoot it out with protesters/criminals, that could be extremely frustrating.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Woof, a lot to give up. Going to crush Munashe and then concede? Or do you have some clever plan revolving around atomic monitors and giant shield generators in every city?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yeah, game 4 is certainly showing off the value of combat data for building an actually competent army. Fighting somebody who has been in a real war with tanks that haven't gets ugly fast.

Do you have portable shield generators lined up for the bottleneck attacks?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I have seen laser armed bikes fail to chase off raiders on an open plain. Bikes are recon, with a side of encirclement bonuses.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Trying to think a move or two ahead in a multiplayer game where they might be a day or even a week between turns is hard. And the strategic move and new formation rules mean that trying to rush things will just get thousands of troops killed. Heck even a turn or so of preparation isn't enough if you are setting up on a plain. Ask me how I know.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Weirdly enough the thing I appreciate most about planets where you can actually build farms is the chance to "harden" cities and "fortify" chokepoints. Farm terrain is much easier to defend than the open plains that most cities get built on. And all it costs to spread is a little bit of water and a whole lot of people.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
In another game I am in a losing position and have assumed the best approach is the Dominions one. Namely that even if you are guaranteed to lose make your killers pay for every inch. In theory it means that people are less likely to target you in other games.

I noticed that you have a lot of double and triple diesel engine designs. They absolutely guzzle oil at an absurd rate. Personally I try to avoid anything heavier than a heavy diesel engine. Maybe one or two exceptions for monitor tanks and heavy walkers.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Old fashioned passing the turn file along. Discord helps, but each additional player greatly increases the time between turns. Having more than 4 people as an option would be cool. But from a cost/benefit point of view anything past 4 players probably won't sell enough games.

Also I will nitpick: water doesn't actually use up logistics.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Somebody checked the tech summary screen. Are you going to go for ICBMs for a sucker punch? Or build a few atomic launchers for the short term.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Well gently caress, my apologies on the wide area shield thing. I can't imagine any use for those outside of city defence either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
RIP