Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Newgame+ Update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZekGlUeH10

Fully Yoked is the final major content patch and comes free with the game. It includes New Game + (A 'remixed' backyard), new bosses and a creative mode.

Grounded

Grounded is the first survival game from well-known good developer Obsidian Entertainment. The basic premise is something similar to the classic film Honey I Shrunk The Kids, where a group of kids are shrunken to the size of ants and become lost in the savage wilderness that is any backyard at that scale.
Gameplay takes the form of surviving a suburban backyard by collecting food, water and crafting weapons to fend off now-giant bugs and spiders.

It's a relatively standard survival game set in a hand-crafted backyard that has a variety of distinct biomes, enemies, crafting materials, loot and bosses. Areas to explore include the depths of the pond and the harsh deserts of the sand pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7XDCvpIqoo

The game was originally just on XBox Game Pass and Steam and on Xbox.

New are the PS4, PS5 and Switch versions.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gonna wait until its out of early access, but the premise is great. I've always wanted a game exactly like this.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

That's helpful Windows.

Edit: So for anyone else who gets this or something similar when launching Windows apps from the Microsoft Store, creating a new windows user might work if you don't want to reset windows.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 29, 2020

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I've been playing the early access with my group on Xbox, it's been a lot of fun so far. The biggest issue I've encountered was the fact that running into a spider web can soft lock your character. Thankfully there's a give up option in the menu which works on resetting it.

There's a lot of bugs (heh) in the game but it has promise. Hopefully they iron out the issues.

Also the wolf spiders are loving terrifying.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

swordfish duelist posted:

I've been playing the early access with my group on Xbox, it's been a lot of fun so far. The biggest issue I've encountered was the fact that running into a spider web can soft lock your character. Thankfully there's a give up option in the menu which works on resetting it.

There's a lot of bugs (heh) in the game but it has promise. Hopefully they iron out the issues.

Also the wolf spiders are loving terrifying.

I'm going to play this regardless because I love the premise so much, but how does the arachnophobia mode work? I have it with a capital A.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Clitch posted:

I'm going to play this regardless because I love the premise so much, but how does the arachnophobia mode work? I have it with a capital A.

There's 5 different levels of Arachnophobia mode, making them less and less spider-like eventually settling as a floating white blob with eyes.

Arachnophobia mode off:

Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:

Level 4:

Level 5:

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
It's a slider that increasingly removes limbs and details until at the highest they're just floating untexured heads.

Edit: beaten to the punch with better detail, so I'll add that the lower settings are creepy in their own right.
I was also not expecting the sound design to be as unique as it is.

The Skeep fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 29, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

The Skeep posted:

It's a slider that increasingly removes limbs and details until at the highest they're just floating untexured heads.

Edit: beaten to the punch with better detail, so I'll add that the lower settings are creepy in their own right.
I was also not expecting the sound design to be as unique as it is.

Yeah I honestly think 2 or 3 look the worst to me. Probably 3 because it's a floating spider head with a hosed up twisted face.

E: 1 is pretty horrible as well. HG Well's tripods if they were also spiders, somehow.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Pharnakes posted:

Yeah I honestly think 2 or 3 look the worst to me. Probably 3 because it's a floating spider head with a hosed up twisted face.

E: 1 is pretty horrible as well. HG Well's tripods if they were also spiders, somehow.

Played for a bit, and 2 is...livable. The 8-legged walk that spiders do really makes my skin crawl, so the 4-legged variety helps. They're still terrifying, but they haven't made me nope out of the game.

[EDIT] One CTD so far. I wish they would tone down the grass regrowing. I clearcut a rise near the machine to make my base and, other than my house's footprint, it's all grown back. I'm all for dandelions growing back, though. Getting lumber is a chore.

Don't keep your food storage on your bottom floor. Nevermind! Ants completely ignore the Y axis when ransacking your storage. They're just standing outside my house and looting my stuff on the second story. EARLY ACCESS!

This game is STILL really fun, and I hope it catches on.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 30, 2020

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I ran across a way to turn off the aggressive DoF.

Go to: C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Maine\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\engine.ini

Then paste this at the bottom.

code:
[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0

It does take away that feeling of separation between your world among the grass and the world at large, but it's way easier to get your bearings when exploring.

It kinda sucks that they make the non-aggressive insects so cute and then expect you to kill them anyway.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 31, 2020

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Clitch posted:

It kinda sucks that they make the non-aggressive insects so cute and then expect you to kill them anyway.

They are far too cute to be a resource in a game like this yeah;

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/07/30/i-am-willing-to-die-for-the-ants-in-grounded/

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This seems really good but I kinda dont want to get bored of it before it's done.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If they want to ape Honey I Shrunk the Kids, then taming ants is a must.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

If they want to ape Honey I Shrunk the Kids, then taming ants is a must.

Obsidian could do really awesome stuff with this if you can tame different species of ants and make an army out of them, or use them for different tasks, like in Ant-Man.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
One of the Obsidian guys said something about ant saddles so I think they're aware people will want to tame the ant friends. I think they really need to reduce the number of spiders in the game, there's way too many for how insanely lethal they are. Looking forward to the "reduce spiders" mods.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dreadwroth2 posted:

One of the Obsidian guys said something about ant saddles so I think they're aware people will want to tame the ant friends. I think they really need to reduce the number of spiders in the game, there's way too many for how insanely lethal they are. Looking forward to the "reduce spiders" mods.

Orb weavers aren't too bad unless you aggro multiple at the same time but wolf spiders still gently caress my poo poo up.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Arzachel posted:

Orb weavers aren't too bad unless you aggro multiple at the same time but wolf spiders still gently caress my poo poo up.

Wolf spiders are so far the only thing I haven't managed to kill solo and it's so frustrating that so many of the high-tier crafting recipes need their fuckin' teeth.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Sterlin reviewed Grounded. I like the ending because he doesn't give the game a review score, but instead gives it to another game that he did not review :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdk5ujJL7zs&t=247s

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I thought I'd be playing this with the spiders turned down, but I've learned to grin and bear it. I haven't been able to really hurt them so I find the extra flight in the ratio is helpful in not having to find my backpack again.

I can't seem to get past "Investigate the explosion at the oak tree." I go there, I stand on the rock, I look at the broken stuff, I stand in the purple cloudy thing but I can't figure out what to do before I'm either a spider snack or I have to run to avoid them. What gives? Also having a hard time finding thistle, so I've built it up in my head that the way to kill a spider is arrows because I can't make any.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

cmpterjones posted:

I thought I'd be playing this with the spiders turned down, but I've learned to grin and bear it. I haven't been able to really hurt them so I find the extra flight in the ratio is helpful in not having to find my backpack again.

I can't seem to get past "Investigate the explosion at the oak tree." I go there, I stand on the rock, I look at the broken stuff, I stand in the purple cloudy thing but I can't figure out what to do before I'm either a spider snack or I have to run to avoid them. What gives? Also having a hard time finding thistle, so I've built it up in my head that the way to kill a spider is arrows because I can't make any.

Oak Explosion: Around back of the tree, where the purple smoke and debris are, there's a door you can walk through.

Thistles: Thistles have a big purple bloom on top you can see from pretty far away. Just scan the horizon, and head toward one. You just have to smack the leaves with your axe to get the needles. Extra Spoiler: Arrows mean you piss the spider off a little before it eats you.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Welp guess making a bow for that purpose is a dumb idea.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
My tip for handling orb weavers while solo: make a full set of acorn armour, which boosts your max health. Get an ant club, a bow, and a larva blade on your hotbar, plus 10+ bandages. Scout an orb weaver, make sure it's alone. Start plinking it with arrows while moving backwards. When it gets close, use a bandage before you get attacked (they provide passive regen over time) and switch to the ant club. Block their attacks as best you can, popping bandages consistently, and hit back immediately after it strikes. Don't stand still, try and circle around it so it has to keep turning. Stay close and wait until you get a stun from the ant club, then switch to the blade and run around to its back end. Slash the poo poo out of its butt while it's stunned and the moment it starts to come around, switch back to the ant club and go for the stun again.

The one time I managed to down a wolf spider was because I kited it into a ladybug, who tanked for me while I shot it with arrows, before finishing it off with the mint hammer. Still figuring out the best method for taking one down without bug-assist, but I am thinking I'll need to make a ton of anti-venom smoothies.

edit: if you can get full ant armour, explore the ant hill near the starting area for a set of bee armour that is pretty good defence-wise.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 4, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been wanting a Borrowers game for ages and this seems to be as close as we're gonna get for a while.

Shame that games like this mostly assume you're playing with friends since I play everything almost exclusively solo.

moms friend from work
Mar 28, 2010
I'M THE WURST

Inzombiac posted:

I've been wanting a Borrowers game for ages and this seems to be as close as we're gonna get for a while.

Shame that games like this mostly assume you're playing with friends since I play everything almost exclusively solo.

It isn’t that bad solo. I only ran into problems when I attacked ants right near my base and they ran a conga line of eating the walls - I would recommend you make the full ant armor ASAP so you can double your carrying capacity for base building materials. Especially when you get to needing weed stems for everything.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Don't store food (including spoiled food) in your main base, that's what attracts ants. Either build an outdoors storage area off to one side, or just carry food on your person as you need it.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
no joke, the 'spiders' in max arachnophobia are straight up terrifying, but I guess I'm not arachnophobic to begin with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The more i look at the arachnaphobia mode the more i just go "why didn't you just turn them into frogs or something".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Here's a look at some of the upcoming stuff in the August update. Linked to avoid spoilers in the video title/thumbnail.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
An Arachnophobe's Reaction to Grounded's Arachnophobia Mode:

1: AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!
2: AAAAAAHHHH!
3: UGH!
4: Eh?
5: Huh...
6: Why?

I don't want to play on anything higher than 2, because it looks stupid, but 2 still keeps me from getting anywhere near them. There are lots of places I haven't pushed into very far because I see one and just nope out. I expect they're getting a LOT of feedback on it and it will go through significant changes because it doesn't really work in its current form. For me, one thing that I don't get is that taking the texture away is the very last thing, instead of making it an earlier option.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

The more i look at the arachnaphobia mode the more i just go "why didn't you just turn them into frogs or something".

Heh - yeah I'm not scared of ol spideys but I could see the unfiltered arach mode freaking some goons out as they really did capture the way spiders moved. I saw one moving and then doing a little bob and was all like "awww" before it turned around and mulched my dude proper. I'm shocked how much I like this game as it really is not my normal cup of tea. Still wish I could subsist easier on just mushrooms as I feel bad about popping those little scared bugs. I see a shovel for digging up grubs but are those the only way to get at them? I mean... I'm brand bloody new and haven't even seen a grub I think... just gnats, bouncy gnat types, ants, mites, ladybugs, one grasshopper (far away and I was avoiding spiders) and those sodding aforementioned spiders that kill me quickish.

If they do DLC know that at least one guy wants to not only befriend ants but spiders. I can't blame them for eating me but they are so cute. Maybe spending time in Australia desensitized me. I want to name him Sammy? Sidney? Sebastian? Sancho? I want a pet Spidey is the point.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Uhhh there's no grasshoppers in the game.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Some bastard orb weaver has been lurking near my base at the machine. I was setting up a mushroom garden when I got the aggro notice, turned around and he was right on top of me. I actually screamed, panicked, and jumped into the inside of the machine. Turns out spiders can fit through those little holes on the side of the machine.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Now I wonder what it was... I was so busy try to duck and weave around grass and on anything I could to escape the spider. I saw grasshopper like legs and I thought a bit of wing. I'll come across it again and I like surprises.

litany of gulps posted:

Some bastard orb weaver has been lurking near my base at the machine. I was setting up a mushroom garden when I got the aggro notice, turned around and he was right on top of me. I actually screamed, panicked, and jumped into the inside of the machine. Turns out spiders can fit through those little holes on the side of the machine.

Yeah I thought the same with those little doorways at the base. "I'll be safe and poke him with my speak and <chomp>"I guess if you had Arachnaphobia this really would be the most frightening game imaginable. Poor goons. Maybe they will make a flamethrower weapon DLC.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Yet.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Now I wonder what it was... I was so busy try to duck and weave around grass and on anything I could to escape the spider. I saw grasshopper like legs and I thought a bit of wing. I'll come across it again and I like surprises.

Probably a bombardier beetle, they're green and have a grasshoppery kind of look. Spoilered in case you want it to stay a surprise.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DogsInSpace! posted:

Yeah I thought the same with those little doorways at the base. "I'll be safe and poke him with my speak and <chomp>"I guess if you had Arachnaphobia this really would be the most frightening game imaginable. Poor goons. Maybe they will make a flamethrower weapon DLC.

The stinkbugs look pretty grasshopperish from a distance, too.

This morning I decided I couldn't live my life in fear of spiders, so I decided to melee the orb weaver hanging out by the laser east of the machine. I used a spiky sprig, and it was actually not bad. They hiss and rear back for a second before striking, which makes them pretty easy to perfect block. The terror factor is definitely worse than the fighting itself.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
TIL Wolf Spiders have no problem going into the anthill and massacring every single soldier ant between it and you while you derp around unaware looking for RS and Quartzite.

One of the first mods for this game should be MITES DON'T SET OFF THE DRUMS.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Clitch posted:

One of the first mods for this game should be MITES DON'T SET OFF THE DRUMS.

In my opinion they should only aggro if they outnumber you 3:1 or more, otherwise keep their distance.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Having put a few hours into this, this is real loving good and I'm really looking forward to it being completed cause I can see myself getting lost in this poo poo.

Looking forward to some weirder bugs later on. Given some sort of unethical science is going on I hope they use that as licence to bring in poo poo from all over the place. Love to run into orchid manti, velvet worms, giant beetles or my local favourites peacock spiders.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I haven't tested this thoroughly, but if you too wind up having raw meat leftover at night, put it on the spit and then immediately go to bed. It should transition to cooked overnight instead of spoiled. Instant filling breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you leave the raw meat on the ground overnight, it also won't spoil, then you can cook it in the morning. Jerky rack makes everything so much simpler, though.

I set up my second base in the flower garden across the pond from the oak lab entrance. Basically zero bugs (it sounds like some food bugs do spawn, but get trapped in the rocks), the safest spot on the map I've found. Resources are limited, but there's nectar all over so you don't ever have to worry about food or water. You can swim across the pond for daily quests. The only problem is that the oak lab always seems to have a damned wolf spider in front of it! Finally got fed up with it, and...

I just killed my first wolf spider! Mint hammer, full ladybug armor, 2 green machines, and 4 bandages. Took 4 reloads to finally get it, their attack animation is hard to parse, and you don't get much room for error.