Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
A flower garden next to a pond sounds like you're looking for trouble when they introduce the bees and mosquito...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe they'll be friendly!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yeaaaaah the bees maybe, the mosquito model looks mean.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

If you leave the raw meat on the ground overnight, it also won't spoil, then you can cook it in the morning. Jerky rack makes everything so much simpler, though.

I set up my second base in the flower garden across the pond from the oak lab entrance. Basically zero bugs (it sounds like some food bugs do spawn, but get trapped in the rocks), the safest spot on the map I've found. Resources are limited, but there's nectar all over so you don't ever have to worry about food or water. You can swim across the pond for daily quests. The only problem is that the oak lab always seems to have a damned wolf spider in front of it! Finally got fed up with it, and...

I just killed my first wolf spider! Mint hammer, full ladybug armor, 2 green machines, and 4 bandages. Took 4 reloads to finally get it, their attack animation is hard to parse, and you don't get much room for error.

Congrats on the kill. Looking forward to that. Thank you for the tips on the meat.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Yeaaaaah the bees maybe, the mosquito model looks mean.
Jesus ... no. Those guys look like something Cthulhu would be wary of hanging out with them. As long as they don't put in wasps that impregnate you I will be fine. Bees are fairly chill in real life so I hope I can have peaceful relations with them. I really am shocked this game is sucking me in. Already was playing three games dammit. CURSE YOU OBSIDIAN!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone else have their dew collectors stop working? I think the patch broke them.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
0.1.1 Patch Notes

:woop:Block Tutorial now only plays once.:woop:

litany of gulps posted:

Anyone else have their dew collectors stop working? I think the patch broke them.

Collectors/Farms not working is a known bug. I've read about stuff like acorns not respawning too.

I feel like they're going to have to rebalance the Insect hammer because its only purpose is to unluck the mint hammer.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 8, 2020

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, acorns have stopped respawning in my game too. The anthill has broken down and produces no eggs, most of the worker ants seem to have disappeared from the world.

Also, word of advice, don't take down quest markers after you've built them, you can't complete the quest again if you do. You'll still be given the quest, it just won't be something you can finish. It annoyed me having those markers up (I preferred only having markers on my bases), so I'd melee down the markers after building them. You can only build them once, though.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Patch Notes posted:

Fixed an issue with endless larva spawning over time. Larva were also spawning each time a spike trap was built. This update will not remove the larva that has already spawned into games, but the larva respawn rate has been fixed.

Oh, thank goodness. The cave in Spade Gulch has a room where the floor is literally carpeted wall-to-wall with larva. I guess that happened when I surrounded my base with spike traps. I'm just glad to know it's not SUPPOSED to be like that.

Now to figure out how to kill that many of the bastards...

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Torrent posted:

Oh, thank goodness. The cave in Spade Gulch has a room where the floor is literally carpeted wall-to-wall with larva. I guess that happened when I surrounded my base with spike traps. I'm just glad to know it's not SUPPOSED to be like that.

Man, when I went down there, I didn't break the quartzite wall without looking through the gaps, and I could see this... seething mass. I figured it was some hellworld best left alone, something out of In The Mouth of Madness.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

litany of gulps posted:

Yeah, acorns have stopped respawning in my game too. The anthill has broken down and produces no eggs, most of the worker ants seem to have disappeared from the world.

Also, word of advice, don't take down quest markers after you've built them, you can't complete the quest again if you do. You'll still be given the quest, it just won't be something you can finish. It annoyed me having those markers up (I preferred only having markers on my bases), so I'd melee down the markers after building them. You can only build them once, though.

The worker ants get stuck in geometry and can't return to spawn the eggs. There's a spot in the flooded area with the big rocks where a ton of them get stuck, but there are a few other places too.

Torrent posted:

Wall them up and use a gas arrow or two.

I built some VC bridges across the water so I could carry in materials for Fort Birdbath, but I'm going to take a break while they work on these bugs.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Has everybody else put this down until the content update?

What's everyone's opinion on the game, so far? I have to say I'm finding it more and more tedious. Sometimes it feels like Obsidian's tried so hard to reinvent the survival builder wheel that they've convinced themselves it's gotta be triangles.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Clitch posted:

Has everybody else put this down until the content update?

What's everyone's opinion on the game, so far? I have to say I'm finding it more and more tedious. Sometimes it feels like Obsidian's tried so hard to reinvent the survival builder wheel that they've convinced themselves it's gotta be triangles.

I'm definitely waiting for more content, especially this early so I don't burn out.

I feel its a really strong foundation for the game, mechanically everything I've done has felt great. A really enjoyable setting I've never seen done before, which lends itself to the genre. But it's very early access, so I wouldn't he surprised to start finding it tedious with the small about of content. But to me, what IS there feels fully realised and well implemented.

There's some QOL stuff it's lacking though, like vicinity based resource use (like if it's on your chest it's 'available' for construction), but that's already confirmed as on its way.

The recent patch is very promising too, mutational 'perks' and talents you can get, and a gigantic raven.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I had stopped playing for the past few weeks, but I'll have to check out the new patch content. Weeds respawning and fixes to the insects getting trapped in rocks/under the world were much needed. I had spent a while building a pretty nice home base area, but I had stripped the surrounding land of weeds for quite a distance, and hauling in additional building materials was getting to be a pain in the rear end.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The game feels better with more insects roaming around again. I had stopped seeing gnats and worker ants completely, and ladybugs and aphids had gotten super scarce while larvae were still roaming in packs of 4-6.

What sucked was my base now being built over a shoe print which meant most of my foundations were no longer attached to the ground, and 20 blades of grass were growing through the floor when I spawned in. It is not a good time having to deconstruct clay foundations at 50% material loss so I can cut out grass stumps and rebuild up from the new ground level.

I like a lot of the graphical changes, and the new crow feather items are cool. I hope the feather arrow is cruise missile grade for what it costs.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I got a good several hours out of the new content. I haven't seen the bird yet, but the bugs clipping into the ground has been entirely resolved. The ants are fixed, the perks and mutations are cool, and some of the new locations are quite interesting.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Underwater spiders cuz gently caress YOU!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I've been playing with the newest patch and so far the game seems pretty good. I'm playing on the Xbox One and parts of the game still feel very rough (cloud saves take forever to load for some reason when you first start up, I had severe issues saving games to the point I lost about a month's worth of progress because the saves became corrupted, and bugs still clip through the terrain and get stuck) but overall the new content is good.

Unfortunately, the last save point I have that works is before I cleared out the shrub base. I have an insect axe, pebble hammer, and ant club with acorn armor. That makes orb weavers beatable but a slog to get through but I still can't kill ladybugs or wolf spiders so I don't have access to better weapons/armor. Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this catch 22? Clearing out the shrub base was doable but a massive war of attrition as I had to bring along enough food/water/bandages/armor patches with me to survive the army of spiders. I'd like to try and get ladybug armor first and a better weapon before trying it again. Also, how do you get up to the top of the bird bath through the shrub maze? All of the youtube videos I could find where pre-October update and the path they show doesn't seem to exist anymore.

On the plus side, I found out that you can attach clay foundation to trees so I built a pretty big tree fort in the branches next to the field lab at the beginning of the shrub maze.

Edit: Also, does it seem like the game has more spiders now with the latest patch? I remember the area on the ground where you enter the shrub maze being safe but I jumped down for something routine right into the jaws of a wolf spider. It seems like there are more wolf spiders around (or they move around more) than before.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 15, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The newest update made some nice changes to the Koi pond, there's some new secret stuff to explore, and it looks like some of the new areas added will be used in the future for storyline events. Plus the koi fish will now eat you, you can get sucked up into its mouth, they even put in an animation for it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GamingHyena posted:

Edit: Also, does it seem like the game has more spiders now with the latest patch? I remember the area on the ground where you enter the shrub maze being safe but I jumped down for something routine right into the jaws of a wolf spider. It seems like there are more wolf spiders around (or they move around more) than before.

I just picked this back up to check out the new pond content. Wolf spiders seem about the same to me. In my experience, each one has a like a home spot where they spend most of their time resting. During the day, they're typically idle in these spots, but if they hear you or something triggers them, they'll rouse and start looking around. Once you get to know the spots, they're relatively easy to avoid. There's one on the eastern wall of the map in the marshy area, one in the west near the cassette tape, one on the corner of the house by the shrub, etc. The one I encounter most often is by the Oak Lab, I think he lives in that hollow under the tree. It's always on my way out of the lab, I guess he'll hear me go in then move over by the entrance to bother me.

Did you ever end taking out a ladybug? They're way easier than wolf spiders, and ought to be pretty doable with the ant club.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
We've finally got a release date! September 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBD-GS61Gto

I've had a lot of fun with this one, with the usual caveat for this kind of game being that it will be a lot more fun playing with someone else.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They've added all kinds of stuff since I last played. I really like the PEEPR system of bug IDing. My kids learned that from Mr Rogers / Daniel tiger

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It's out! Time for a new save.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqgJ9nW468

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Does this have any kind of cross play? PC - Xbox specifically

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to play through the storyline, and I wish the game was a little bit better about where you're suppose to go next. I found the robot in the science lab under the oak tree, and then he points you in a general direction to another lab, I found a door that is locked and not sure what to do from there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

External Organs posted:

Does this have any kind of cross play? PC - Xbox specifically

It's supposed to, but it seems like you have to add people to your friends list to play with them, instead of a dedicated server which is kind of annoying.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Trying to play through the storyline, and I wish the game was a little bit better about where you're suppose to go next. I found the robot in the science lab under the oak tree, and then he points you in a general direction to another lab, I found a door that is locked and not sure what to do from there.

The intended entrance is at the southernmost part of the hedge (like in the SE corner of the map). You’ll see a bunch of wires leading up into the hedge and a paper clip that allows you to climb up. What follows is a pretty fun journey navigating across the branches of the hedge to get to the lab itself.

It’s probably my favorite “one of these” that I’ve played, but it’s still a survival game at heart with all the friction that entails. I think it’s good enough to bring some new folks in (myself included), but there are definitely some aspects that turn me off about it. I ended up turning the difficulty down take make it less frustrating - I got tired of getting mulched by everything when there’s no way to craft T2 armors without being able to handle some of the heavies. I’m having a much better time.

The combat is just “eh” - the bugs can be very hostile and will lunge/combo at you constantly, while your own options feel pretty limited. Obviously not the star of the show but they foreground it enough that I feel like it could have been better designed

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 30, 2022

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Getting into T2 mats from your starter stuff is a bit of a jump in difficulty. I remember being able to easily cheese Bombadiers and Stinkbugs before but they're waaay more aggressive than just 6 months ago in EA.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ants can eat from your jerky rack on the second floor, from below the first floor, through the wall, cool stuff

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Having the cutscenes to link everything together is pretty great.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for linking the thread, I didn't know we had one for Grounded. I made a newer, better home on the edge of the Koi pond and it's neat seeing our lil house in the flyby cutscene when sleeping. What's NOT fun is dealing with the occasional wolf spider (or two) that decides to patrol directly past the house though. :sigh:

Without spoilers, we finished the (first lab)Hedge Lab and went to the (second lab)Pond Lab last night but needed a thing to get in, did I miss that item at the first lab?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Shabadu posted:

Getting into T2 mats from your starter stuff is a bit of a jump in difficulty. I remember being able to easily cheese Bombadiers and Stinkbugs before but they're waaay more aggressive than just 6 months ago in EA.
I actually had a question about this sort of thing which I figure would be better asked here than the broad survival thread: Having not played until the 1.0 release, I'm not really clear on what the "intended" progression is. I know being an open world game there are side paths and it's not a fully linear progression, but just getting to Tier 2 equipment has been a path full of roadblocks. It's really hard to know when I'm supposed to be able to kill any given enemy. My first ladybug takedown was a complete slog, and I thought they must not want me to do this yet, but I had to, to get my T2 axe. What weapon do they even expect you to use? I know weaknesses show up on the bug card, but you don't have much possible weapon variety early on. It says to use busting on ladybugs but the only busting weapon I have is my pebblet hammer and that is very slow and does almost no damage whatsoever to ladybugs. The damage type weakness doesn't seem to even come close to making up for the downsides of the weapon. A bunch of times I'm expected to take down an enemy that can kill me in two good hits and takes me a solid minute of thrashing on to take down.

And then for the axe you need stinkbug parts? At what point am I supposed to be able to take those on? I thought I might need a better bow, but that requires wolf spider parts and I sure as hell don't feel ready for those. It might be easier with a gas mask, but you need stinkbug parts for that, so it feels like a closed loop, gotta kill a stinkbug to be able to kill a stinkbug. I know you can shortcut this with finding a stinkbug part in a spider sack, or just cheese a stinkbug by standing out of its range with a bow, but is that really how they expect you to do this?

I'm having a lot of fun overall, but it can be frustrating when my only path forward is to kill an enemy I really didn't think I was ready for, and all the advice I see is to cheese it, use equipment that doesn't seem to do anything, or bring gear that I can't even get until after I kill it in the first place.
Also, while multiplayer is more flexible so far, it feels as though the only viable singleplayer class for me is one that's as tanky as possible.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vib Rib posted:

I actually had a question about this sort of thing which I figure would be better asked here than the broad survival thread: Having not played until the 1.0 release, I'm not really clear on what the "intended" progression is. I know being an open world game there are side paths and it's not a fully linear progression, but just getting to Tier 2 equipment has been a path full of roadblocks. It's really hard to know when I'm supposed to be able to kill any given enemy. My first ladybug takedown was a complete slog, and I thought they must not want me to do this yet, but I had to, to get my T2 axe. What weapon do they even expect you to use? I know weaknesses show up on the bug card, but you don't have much possible weapon variety early on. It says to use busting on ladybugs but the only busting weapon I have is my pebblet hammer and that is very slow and does almost no damage whatsoever to ladybugs. The damage type weakness doesn't seem to even come close to making up for the downsides of the weapon. A bunch of times I'm expected to take down an enemy that can kill me in two good hits and takes me a solid minute of thrashing on to take down.

And then for the axe you need stinkbug parts? At what point am I supposed to be able to take those on? I thought I might need a better bow, but that requires wolf spider parts and I sure as hell don't feel ready for those. It might be easier with a gas mask, but you need stinkbug parts for that, so it feels like a closed loop, gotta kill a stinkbug to be able to kill a stinkbug. I know you can shortcut this with finding a stinkbug part in a spider sack, or just cheese a stinkbug by standing out of its range with a bow, but is that really how they expect you to do this?

I'm having a lot of fun overall, but it can be frustrating when my only path forward is to kill an enemy I really didn't think I was ready for, and all the advice I see is to cheese it, use equipment that doesn't seem to do anything, or bring gear that I can't even get until after I kill it in the first place.
Also, while multiplayer is more flexible so far, it feels as though the only viable singleplayer class for me is one that's as tanky as possible.

I found Stinkbug and Ladybug parts drop from the web orbs that Orb Weavers make. Along with Spiderlings so be careful with that.

I am presuming you are following the main quest as much as you could.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been using the T2 Red Ant club since the start and it's been great once you get used to the stamina drain and slow swinging. As I understood it nothing is weak against this club but nothing has resistance either so it does a moderate amount of dmg to everything equally. Fighting stink bugs and ladybugs for the first time is supposed to feel really hard and barely possible. I'm at the point now where I feel reasonably comfortable soloing a ladybug and sometimes it's about the blocking, sometimes having the right healing items on hand (the green machine smoothie is good for quick bursts of healing, roast aphids also give big boosts of health after eating), and sometimes just running the gently caress away and coming back later. It's frustrating for sure but once you break into T2 you can feel the scales start to tip in your favor and that's been a really satisfying part of the game for me so far.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Fighting stink bugs and ladybugs for the first time is supposed to feel really hard and barely possible.
The ant club does seem to be the meta, from what I've heard. At that point your only other weapon is really the spear, though, which the ladybug is strong against, so I guess it stands to reason.
Is it even possible to beat a stinkbug in melee without the gas mask? I figure you'd wait for the big attacks and run in when it whiffs but the stink clouds linger for so long and do so much damage it doesn't seem like it's feasible.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am presuming you are following the main quest as much as you could.
The first post-Oak lab I got pointed to is surrounded by spiders and I had to run blindly from mosquitos on my way there, so I wasn't sure I was ready for it yet. There's not exactly a recommended equipment list posted outside so like the other stuff it was hard to know if I was meant to be there yet or not.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vib Rib posted:

Is it even possible to beat a stinkbug in melee without the gas mask? I figure you'd wait for the big attacks and run in when it whiffs but the stink clouds linger for so long and do so much damage it doesn't seem like it's feasible.

It's hard, but we did it with bows from afar just kinda kiting it around. It's easier with two people for sure. I tried doing the same thing as you but the clouds just don't disappate. Honestly even with the mask it's still kinda lovely because the condition drops fast when you're in the cloud, I've had it break on me mid fight which pretty much put a stop to that.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

secondary strategy for stinkbugs - if you wear full red ant armor you can move among them freely, and if you lure the stinkbugs that are near the red ant nest to the soldiers, the nest will kill them fast

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Should be an east coast dlc for this that adds thousands and thousands of lanternflies covering e everything

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

explosivo posted:

Pond Lab last night but needed a thing to get in, did I miss that item at the first lab?

Something has definitely changed in the pond, and I'm not sure where is open and where isn't anymore.

explosivo posted:

Should be an east coast dlc for this that adds thousands and thousands of lanternflies covering e everything

Ah, I'd never thought about this, and now I want an Aotearoa New Zealand version really bad. A Weta would make an amazing boss.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

secondary strategy for stinkbugs - if you wear full red ant armor you can move among them freely, and if you lure the stinkbugs that are near the red ant nest to the soldiers, the nest will kill them fast

"get something else to do your dirty work" is definitely the way to go for stinkbugs; in my post-launch run i got some bombard beetles to kill one, and some of the chasms near the edge of the haze that aren't entirely engulfed in poison gas have stinkbug corpses in them; plus any bug part can come from spider eggsacs in the hedge (and you want to break them all because you will need a lot of web if you want to do anything with ziplines)

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Glad there's a thread for this, few hours in and loving the game on every front. Have to say how convenient the "cloud" type save for a multiplayer save is, can't say I've seen that in any other game I've played and being able to pick up seamlessly without any specific host is great