Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A man clothed in blue cloaks woke up in what appeared to be a dungeon. A cell, more specifically.

"Aghhh... dammit... my head... it hurts."

He holds a hand to his face, and slowly gets up. The cell was dark, pitch black as midnight. There were no windows.

"...where am I?" the man asked. He felt the walls. Stone, stone, stone, stone... wood. There was a wooden door. Stone, stone, stone, stone. Wood door, again.

All stone, except for the door. Which, predictably, was locked.

And then the man had a realization.

"...WHO am I?"

Suddenly, the man doubled over in pain.

His mind swirled with a blue energy, full of power and pleasure and pain. It was birth, it was death, it was the Mother and Father and Child and Alpha and Omega and......

Magic.

And there were little bits of things in it. If the magic, the mana, the ether, was a stream, these were like leaves floating along in it.

Spells. Applications of magic. And it felt like they were... aware? Or maybe even alive?

The man reached out, grabbing as many of them as he could in his mind.

"I don't know much more than you guys. But if you all can help me get out, please, help me. Why am I here? Who am I? And where am I?"

His plea was geninue, and desperate. And so, the magic sang...

--------------------------------------

Welcome to Spells Trouble, the game where you play as literal magic.

You will sign up as a Spell. Your use will be specific.

As a spell, you need 3 things.

A: A Name, such as "Create Water" or "Magic Bolt".
B: A Description, telling what the spell does.
C: A Sigil, using any art software to draw on this grid:

You get to decide the color, as well.

Sign-Up Rules:
1. You start weak and get stronger. No giant fireballs. Start small, grow more powerful.
2. If you feel like you've reached a new level of power, you may alter your name. This won't affect the 'gameplay', any, it's just if you feel like it.
3. I reserve the right to veto any spell I feel would be innapropriate, too niche, too powerful, or just... gross. Does the 'I've got my eyes on you' gesture at Theantero.
4. Your spell will have a personality, but no memories.

---------------------------------------

Rules:

Our hero will encounter an Obstacle. He will then decide on a few spells he feels would be most useful in that situation. Those spells have the opportunity to level up and get stronger.

If you are a spell that was chosen: You try to convince the other spells/players to pick you.

If you were a spell that was not chosen: You vote on which spell you want to be used.

There is no mana, or cooldowns. It all is a matter of how useful you are to the current situation. A Fireball is of no use against a giant pit, and Levitate is of no use against a giant rat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Scramble

Hello! I am Scramble! I am the wild-magic cantrip! I don't like rules! I make things not follow the rules as much as they usually do. Sometimes this is helpful?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Alchemist Wheel, 1st Form, Transmutation
Change the shape and element of the given atoms of a structure, Lead into Gold, Seperating Hydrogen from Oxygen to create fire from water, Can only effect a very small circle 1x1x1 Sphere, as the wheel gets larger, so does the area of effect

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 30, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Spell Name: Gravity
Spell Description: Make Things Go Down
Sigil:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Fabricate
The spell of making. Turn any raw material into a finished object of that material.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Telekinesis
Push an object away from the caster or pull an object towards the Caster, with some other controls over the object's speed, lift, tilt, and direction.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Demarcation
Create or remove boundaries between entities.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Consecrate Ants
Blessed be the Ants, for the kingdoms of Picnic are theirs

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Blink
That which is here becomes there.

[Edit] Approved technical specs: Instantaneous transposition of personal volume of space with another. Current range - one meter. No line of sight required.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 30, 2020

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
Love is the stuff inside.

See

Closer. Farther. In lights beyond light.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Water Breathing
Blub blub. Breath in the deep.

And others posted:

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 30, 2020

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Name: Summon Chicken
Description: See name.
Sigil:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Name: Nope
Description: Stop an action or object in motion.
Sigil:

EDIT: Thank you for the better icon DK!

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 30, 2020

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Name: Winged Sandals
Description: Small wings sprout from the caster's shoes, allowing slow but steady flight with a ceiling of five hundred feet.
Sigil:

(Thanks DK!)

a fatguy baldspot fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 30, 2020

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Name: Extra Hand
Description: The caster grows an extra hand. Not necessarily on their own body.
Sigil:

Edit: thanks Dog Kisser!

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 30, 2020

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Name: Cure Light Wounds
Description: Cure light wounds.
Sigil:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The man, once all the spells were 'introduced' as it were, got back up on his feet.

"Alright... uhhh... 'team'? Oh, god, that sounds corny... anyway. We have a problem. A problem called a door that is locked. I want out. And some of you look like good ways out."

"We have options. And honestly, all of them sound as good to me as any other, so I'll let you all decide what to do."

Option A: We Blink our way past the door.

Option B: We use some Alchemy to turn part of the door into... water or air or whatever. It'll make a hole we could squeeze through.

Option C: A door is a boundary between two rooms. We could Demarcate it away.

Option D: Who needs subtlety. Just use Telekinesis to push the door off it's hinges.

Option E: We use Gravity to make the door fall... over? In on itself?

"So, if you wanna get used and get stronger, start trying to sway the others. And if you're not chosen, pick your favorite option."

The man sat down and waited for the headache of these rowdy spells fighting each other over who was the best option.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Chicken of the sea for the dogfish, OBVIOUSLY.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 2, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
(Oh, uh, bold your votes.)

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Ugh hey a door is pretty boring if it's just like, one kind of thing. We should use alchemy to turn it into several things and see what happens!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

"Problems that cease to exist cease to be problems."

"Demarcate the door."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 31, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Everything is everything, with nothing in between
To have it transform would be rather keen

So say I turn it into something else
Like say ice or water, something that melts

Vote for Alchemy

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 31, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Telekinesis

It's not like I totally can't do this (because, I'm like, pretty darn sure I can blast this door away on my own, no problem), but I just, like, feel like we should take this a little more slowly to start, be cautious about things, y'know?

Nah just kidding let's rip this thing's hinges off and blow the door down!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 31, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Gravity
https://i.imgur.com/F0GhmzX.png

Do what you want, spells. I really have no energy today. I just want to go and sleep in my nice warm energy plane. Everything sucks and nothing matters

But, I guess if you want me I could try. It wouldn't be great though :smith:

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007

A door is the very essence of a separating boundary. Demarcation is exactly what you need.

Yolkfolk fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 31, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Being depressed is not befitting of a super power
Vote how you want but not for that which glowers

Telekinesis will be loud and rankerous
We dont know if the inhabitants are cantankerous

So vote for the wheel
It'll make that door heel.
Or else dear mage your skin will peel.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Blink

Just think how useful I'll be if I'm selected to improve.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

In substance, spirit and symbolism, a Door is a Boundary. Demarcation will deal with such obstacles.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Summon Chicken

"Ooh! Oh! Pick me, pick me! If you pluck a feather you can improvise a lockpick and--"

"What do you mean 'not selected?' Surely this is an error, and if not, an outrage!"

"...Neither? Hmpfh. Fine. Suit yourself. Alchemy it is. Turn that door into delicious seeds and grains."

"Hmmm... seeds and grains. Hey alchemy, think you can also make some fat, juicy worms?"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I can do this easy,and I'll do what I can but it's up to the mage
I'll whisper in his ear, that worms are all the rage!

So vote for me this instant
On this point i'm rather insistent

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Oh we are doing poetry? How adorable, I'm in.

Boba Pearl posted:

Alchemist Wheel, 1st Form, Transmutation
Change the shape and element of the given atoms of a structure, Lead into Gold, Seperating Hydrogen from Oxygen to create fire from water, Can only effect a very small circle 1x1x1 Sphere, as the wheel gets larger, so does the area of effect

Borders are many
Their usage so akin
But a young magus soon learns
That carelessness is not so zany

For whilst getting stuck by the hips
Between here and there
And having a warden's sword
Draw a border anew
Betwixt your head and shoulders
An artistic statement makes

Perhaps it a better plan
To strike in an instant
And leave naught but a blink
Between their life and death

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 31, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

If you wanted to make it something else, you should have chosen the appropriate spell. Demarcate it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Name: Winged Sandals
Description: Small wings sprout from the caster's shoes, allowing slow but steady flight with a ceiling of five hundred feet.
Sigil:

CRUSH that sucker! GRAVITY it!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Gravity

Thanks for voting for me, but I don't really deserve the praise. I'm sure other spells could do as well or better than me :smith:

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007

Slaan posted:

Gravity

Thanks for voting for me, but I don't really deserve the praise. I'm sure other spells could do as well or better than me :smith:

Hey Gravity buddy... why are you always so down on yourse.... Oh. I see.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Cure Light Wounds

OK. Blink gets us through the door. We don't know what's on the other side of the door yet, there could be a quiet guard keeping watch or somesuch.

Turning the door into something else, we'd have to deal with whatever stuff we create. Gravity and Telekinesis remove the door, but at what sound level? I'm hoping Demarcation is silent, at least.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Blink is too dangerous. What if there is something on the other side? Demarcate is the way to go.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Camponotus said to the workers, "Fill the stores with gravel"; so they filled them to the brim.

Then she told them, "Now, take some out and take it the the Queen."

They did so, and the queen tested the gravel that had been turned into crumbs. She did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had gathered the gravel knew. She called the drones aside and said "Everyone brings out the dry crumbs first, and then the good crumbs after the workers have had their fill, but you have brought the best already.

What Camponotus did here in Collis of Formicae was the first of the signs through which she revealed her glory, and her disciples believed in her."
Myrm, Chapter 2, verses 7-11.

Alchemy, Door Into Bread

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
With 5 votes, Demarcation wins! Theantero, describe, in your next post, how Demarcation gets upgraded, and if you like, change your Name or Description to match. You can add range, or power, or whatever you see fit.

"Alright, spells, looks like we're just going to make this thing vanish."

The nameless mage walked closer to the door's location. The room was still pitch-black, but he knew where the door was. If he had woken up in the 'southwest' corner, the door was on the very east edge of the north wall.

Magic poured into the man's left finger, and he drew a very straight line. A Rune. A Rune that had the power of the boundary.

His right hand stretched out and touched the door.

It felt almost instant, and it certainly was silent. No incantation. No dramatic, magical gestures. The door seemed to just... pop out of existence. Like it had been spirited away.

The door was gone, and light shone through the door. Faint, firey, flickering light. Torches.

The mage poked his head out the door, and looked around. There was no guards. Aside from the torches on the walls, no signs of life. The hallway was bare.

The mage walked out and grabbed a torch, hanging off a metal holder on the wall.

There was only the door-that-was-now-void he had walked through, and one door at the end of the hallway.

He approached it, and slowly grabbed the handle. Unlike the last door, this one was unlocked, but the man had heard what the spells had argued. Luckily, there was a sliding metal slot to look through, and the man pushed it.

Past the door was a large, empty banquet hall. The room was filled with a table, with nothing on it. There was another door at the end of the hall, but there was one obstacle.

A dog on a chain. The dog had a quiet, but noticable whine, and it looked agitated.

"Okay, magic voices. That dog, if we open the door, will probably bark like a storm. We need a way to keep it silent, both from making barks and from it's chain rattling."

Option A: We use Gravity to hold the dog down, preventing it from moving.

Option B: Maybe it's a whine of hunger? If we Summon a Chicken, he dog might eat it and be distracted, what with having a mouth full.

Option C: It might be whining in pain. If we Cure it's Light Wounds, it could be grateful to us.

Option D: We could stop it in mid-bark with Nope.

"Any of those sound good to me. Let the arguing commence. I wish I had something for headaches..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Telekinesis

Hmm... y'know, when push comes to shove, heavy gravity might cause the dog to bark and summon a guard.

Taking it by surprise simply isn't enough! We have to give it something it wants, and that means either means healing it of hidden wounds, or...

Hunger! That's it! This poor animal is starving! We have to:

Summon a chicken dinner.