Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Firefighters and Mills gonna tie our way to the end of the season again, I just know it. I haven't looked at the schedule, but I have to assume that we're (those from Chicago) probably not gonna make the playoffs again.

I hate our pitching so, so much. Our run differential sucks for a team that has above-average hitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

The Tacos are in EPT and it turns out Pitching Machine loves to party, it's now a 5 star pitcher.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

gently caress YOU, ROGUE UMPIRES

https://twitter.com/blaseball/status/1309485674681122816

:woop:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Harry Lime posted:

The Tacos are in EPT and it turns out Pitching Machine loves to party, it's now a 5 star pitcher.
we really need to get Sexton Wheerer back in the shell but I don't think the rest of the league is going to play along with that now

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

whoa 10 players and three Tacos partying in this hour's games, you truly do love to see it

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Cashmoney ate a peanut and the Fridays have two 5-star hitters now. Also it sure looks like York is gonna get shelled, although maybe that would actually be good for rebuilding purposes, IDK.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Here we go bring on the Monitor! :munch:

e: The Peanut showed up, chastised us for giving our peanuts to the Monitor, and then left in a huff. The Monitor just arrived.

https://twitter.com/BlaseballNews/status/1309572364703797250

e3: The Monitor is looking at the various "Eggs" (shelled players) but didn't eat them... yet.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 25, 2020

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

NaN's pregame ritual briefly changes to "It is Wyatt", and it is now "I have a plan".

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

tinstaach posted:

NaN's pregame ritual briefly changes to "It is Wyatt", and it is now "I have a plan".

Same with Sixpack Dogwalker. Also Jaylen, NaN and Six are all permanently flickering.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
NaN is about to go on a world tour of teams

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Looks like Pitching Machine is shelled now.

It was a good run.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Pies vs. Tigers in the Mild final, guaranteeing that one ascension-eligible team will reach the finals.

The Tacos seem to have decided to save half of their acquired votes for next season, in a season where 20% of the league is barred from receiving blessings, because ?????

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

tinstaach posted:

Pies vs. Tigers in the Mild final, guaranteeing that one ascension-eligible team will reach the finals.

The Tacos seem to have decided to save half of their acquired votes for next season, in a season where 20% of the league is barred from receiving blessings, because ?????

Tacos dicord makes a lot of bizarre voting decisions but this one actually makes sense, the blessing ban for the top four teams was last season, it's up this season so there is an expectation that the Crabs are going to have a massive vote stash hoarded for this season.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

InnercityGriot posted:

Tacos dicord makes a lot of bizarre voting decisions but this one actually makes sense, the blessing ban for the top four teams was last season, it's up this season so there is an expectation that the Crabs are going to have a massive vote stash hoarded for this season.
Yeah, early EPT seems about equal to a blessing, so intentionally tanking is actually a viable strategy. Combine that with the Bless Off teams presumably having more votes stocked up from last season, and forgoing blessings this season doesn't seem crazy.

But it IS a raffle, so i'm looking forward to a couple more 0% blessing winners this season :haw:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Oh, poo poo, I spent the whole week thinking that Bless Off applies to the following election and not the current one. I hoarded all my votes from last election too because I didn't find anything super appealing, so I should have something like 7000 to spend in two weeks.

I feel like EPT is better than nothing but it's kind of a wash, yes it makes your team slightly better in the long run but to get the benefits you first have to be worse than the other teams, who are still getting better because they're taking the good blessings that you don't compete for because you want to stay in EPT.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 26, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tanking is not, or at least should not, be a strategy in blaseball. EPT is a consolation prize for your team being garbage, and the raffle nature of blessings means that anyone can still get them. Counting on your team to randomly be bad in order to intentionally get slightly better is not a good play. In IRL baseball a tank works because your improvements are in the form of generally known quantities, especially if you manage to stay bad for a couple seasons and vacuum up ALL the talent and then keep them from making an impact. EPT takes effect immediately, meaning your bad team this season will be slightly less bad next year and incur less of a benefit.

And even if a tank DOES work, it's possible that randomness and other lovely circumstances will keep you from getting more than MAYBE one Series win. It's a long season and a short playoff and nothing matters. Embrace the chaos.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
The Tacos are basically unintentionally tanking next season by having Sexton Wheerer as our only pitcher. Might break the EPT speed run record if nobody else gets unshelled. I do get frustrated with Tacos discord’s attitude of “we never win blessings so let’s go for less contested ones” like home field advantage. It’s a one year buff for a team that projects to give up close to seven runs a game, what is the point?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

The Tacos are basically unintentionally tanking next season by having Sexton Wheerer as our only pitcher. Might break the EPT speed run record if nobody else gets unshelled. I do get frustrated with Tacos discord’s attitude of “we never win blessings so let’s go for less contested ones” like home field advantage. It’s a one year buff for a team that projects to give up close to seven runs a game, what is the point?

Chaos. "What happens when our whole rotation is shelled?" is loving incredible.

Something important to note is that the devs seem heavily invested in narrative (as they should, sports is nothing but collective narrative creation anyway), and the Tacos are full of weird ideas. The whole point is fandom, and the devs understand that. All else is secondary. I mean, they've basically just renamed and repurposed traditional stats and activities in baseball and it's just as real for some people as "real" baseball. Maybe more real. And that's the whole point. If people want to try to run their team into the ground, let 'em. That's democracy on a lottery, baby.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

This assumes that the entire Tacos rotation isn't eaten by the Monitor tomorrow...

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

Chaos. "What happens when our whole rotation is shelled?" is loving incredible.

Something important to note is that the devs seem heavily invested in narrative (as they should, sports is nothing but collective narrative creation anyway), and the Tacos are full of weird ideas. The whole point is fandom, and the devs understand that. All else is secondary. I mean, they've basically just renamed and repurposed traditional stats and activities in baseball and it's just as real for some people as "real" baseball. Maybe more real. And that's the whole point. If people want to try to run their team into the ground, let 'em. That's democracy on a lottery, baby.

I liked the snackrifice don’t get me wrong, but the Homefield advantage thing was literally just bad strategy. Not everyone on the Tacos discord wants to be bad forever, following a garbage team gets boring after a while. They just went for homefield because they didn’t anticipate pitching machine would get shelled and were hoping to win a bunch of one run games. The Tacos are good at coming up with interesting ways to screw with the game, bad when they actually try to play it I guess. Although this unintentional tank season is going to be good for the team.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

because they didn’t anticipate pitching machine would get shelled

This here is the chaos. Turns out having a set-it-and-forget-it Strikeout Idol is bad. Especially when some people (like me) opted for Pitching Machine before the clear game benefit of having the same pitcher every game was obvious, because it was loving hilarious to idolize a machine that was a better pitcher than most of the team's actual rotation. And honestly, I think it's even funnier now that it's a pitching machine that is statistically one of the best pitchers in the entire game, but is now SHELLED. From a position outside of wanting the Tacos to win it's loving hilarious.

Maybe you should be a fan of a different team?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

Maybe you should be a fan of a different team?

Nah I’m good. I think you’re misunderstanding me, I like the chaos, I just think they’re bad at organizing for what blessings to vote for.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Birds in the first game of the Crabs Tigers series, would be a hell of a time for unshelling

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

InnercityGriot posted:

like the Tacos best bet to improve is EPT so even trying to eke out wins in a non-contender season seems like a horrid idea lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

Nah I’m good. I think you’re misunderstanding me, I like the chaos, I just think they’re bad at organizing for what blessings to vote for.

Voting for blessings is still a part of the chaos, though. Anyone can technically still win any given blessing. Putting all your eggs in one basket assuming that it will be the one that fixes a team and not getting it is exceedingly disheartening, just as much as winning one with .1% of the vote is a positive. Yes, voting is supposed to play against 1:30 odds, but it's not going to be much, especially if lots of people are loading up on the same thing.

In truth, sheer fan/vote numbers will always beat "strategy" when it comes to who wins overall in the blessings, and trying to strategize for one specific blessing as a so-called "small market team" is okay so long as it's not at the expense of others. Which is to say, if you think the team is doing stupid poo poo with their votes, you can still vote against the prevailing team wisdom, and your votes will mean just as much.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

Voting for blessings is still a part of the chaos, though. Anyone can technically still win any given blessing. Putting all your eggs in one basket assuming that it will be the one that fixes a team and not getting it is exceedingly disheartening, just as much as winning one with .1% of the vote is a positive. Yes, voting is supposed to play against 1:30 odds, but it's not going to be much, especially if lots of people are loading up on the same thing.

In truth, sheer fan/vote numbers will always beat "strategy" when it comes to who wins overall in the blessings, and trying to strategize for one specific blessing as a so-called "small market team" is okay so long as it's not at the expense of others. Which is to say, if you think the team is doing stupid poo poo with their votes, you can still vote against the prevailing team wisdom, and your votes will mean just as much.

Fridays won 6 votes last election and 2, maybe 3 tops, were actually beneficial for the team.

MTs are voting for a few highly contested blessings, and a couple lower-tier ones, but we're still avoiding the ones that actively make our team worse

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

like the Tacos best bet to improve is EPT so even trying to eke out wins in a non-contender season seems like a horrid idea lol

The tank is good and I’m on board. One year blessings for a team that sucks are bad and I’m not sure what we were doing with that lol

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Election Plot (part 1?):

- The Peanut rails at us for trusting the Monitor. 100 million peanuts "wasted". (100 mil? :stare:)
- THAT IS IT.
- STRIKE FOUR
- YOU ARE OUT
- SEE YOU SOON

The Discipline Era: "Siesta"

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

0 blessings for the Crabs, ouch. I mean, I know that not getting at least 1 out of 6 7 is going to happen ~11% 8.5% of the time, but jeeeeeeez, we had 51% of the votes in Home Field Advantage.

Edit: Crabchat told me I missed one.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 27, 2020

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
RIP to the crabs but also you didn't really need them anyways haha

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The Mints were the top voters for Party Line despite the team deciding they didn't want it. Almost all those votes were from a single rogue fan hahaha.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

alpha_destroy posted:

The Mints were the top voters for Party Line despite the team deciding they didn't want it. Almost all those votes were from a single rogue fan hahaha.

that's deeply amusing.

at least the magic got their first blessing, even if it wasn't crows.

spies are championship material this coming season. New Math is a badass.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
We've finally gone from having a team of all awful to mediocre pitchers to having a team of eeeeh pitchers with one star! It's happening, championship here we come.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MTs were hoping that the Barrel of Tiny Eggs was going to come with some hidden bonus like the blood ones did, but nope, Just Nuts.

Oh well, we can use them to appease the MOIST ONE (our name for the Squid//Hall Monitor) and at least we kept it out of the hands of those contemptible Crabs

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm excited to see how Boss Baby Doyle does in Season 9. Jazz Hands chat seems to be using the siesta to expand lore for the OG players on the team.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I know We Are All Miss Blaseball, so to tide us over in these difficult times, Jon Bois has released the beginning of 20020, the sequel to 17776 this week

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://twitter.com/blaseball/status/1312871044911226885?s=19

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:ohdear:

Excited to see what this means.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Fess up, who got Parker into QAnon during the siesta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I decided to finally hop on the bandwagon and joined. I had no idea what I was doing and spent all my coins in the shop before I realized I needed to use them to bet on matches. Am I hosed? I did get some of those passive income potions at least.