Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid A
Jul 27, 2003

O Captain! My Part Time
Alternate Captain!
Already setting records after the first round of games.

https://twitter.com/AnalystAce/status/1612484972413353985

Also good day to be a beam :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It is very Beam to put up the only double digit run game of the first day.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Max Peck posted:

Blaseball is back(-ish), baby!

Sign up on https://www.blaseball.com/landing for email to make number go up (and theoretically unlock things for everyone?), there's also an IGN article with some info on what to expect (sounds like Fall Ball is basically a draft?) at https://www.ign.com/articles/blaseball-the-absurdist-horror-fantasy-sport-that-won-a-cult-fanbase-is-back-after-a-year-long-siesta .

I have been on their email list for a long time and, yet, I have no idea how to remotely catch up with this insane-as-balls game.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
I cannot read the Tigers' four-letter abbreviation as anything other than The Great Race Space, help

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

tadashi posted:

I have been on their email list for a long time and, yet, I have no idea how to remotely catch up with this insane-as-balls game.

I'm treating this reboot like a reset and going in with an open mind. They're adding mechanics gradually over the course of the launch to ease people in, so until then I'm just going to click the vote buttons and lose all of my money until Something Happens.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh man I’m glad this weird thing is back, go shoe thieves

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

tadashi posted:

Good news! Everything is basically reset and stuff is going slow at first, this is the perfect time to hop in.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Is it just me, or is the jank worse this time around? Like, it feels less charming and more rushed, which it shouldn't have been given how long we were on siesta.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think it's extremely too early to come down on one side or the other about that. we barely know anything about what they have in store for the future and the actual game part has been live for one full day

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

i definitely fell like there's a lot of issues that are above and beyond just the expected new system growing pains - not having a password reset button is just weird, and the app still not being available is worrying given that was like the number one thing they said they were working on, etc. - but i'm willing to cut them some slack and assume they'll have most of that worked out quickly.

personally I'm more worried about stuff like the anchor switching from a person to a character design, and the lore ban on the discord, and a lot of little things that add up to it looking like game band is moving towards increased creative control and/or merchandising, either of which might work out well for them but might also be real stumbling blocks if they can't get the tech issues worked out quickly and the community starts fracturing/dissipating more than it did over the siesta

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I'm not talking about game jank. I'm talking about basic UX issues, poor accessibility, and baffling web layout code decisions.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm not talking about game jank. I'm talking about basic UX issues, poor accessibility, and baffling web layout code decisions.

Yeah. I feel like they made it prettier and all it cost was 100% of the usability.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Nick Buntline posted:

personally I'm more worried about stuff like the anchor switching from a person to a character design, and the lore ban on the discord, and a lot of little things that add up to it looking like game band is moving towards increased creative control and/or merchandising, either of which might work out well for them but might also be real stumbling blocks if they can't get the tech issues worked out quickly and the community starts fracturing/dissipating more than it did over the siesta

I haven’t been following the Discord. What’s this about a lore ban? I thought that lore was 90% of the reason the Discord existed.

Also, the lack of any mobile support is frankly unacceptable in TYOOL 2023. Not having a dedicated app is excusable, but I can’t meaningfully interact with the site at all because there’s no mobile-friendly stylesheet. I’d be more forgiving if the experience existed but was terrible.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

blastron posted:

I haven’t been following the Discord. What’s this about a lore ban? I thought that lore was 90% of the reason the Discord existed.

Yeah, a few teams had to scramble to organise spaces they didn’t think they would need. I assume it’s because there seems to be more of an emphasis on player movement now. Lore being messy could be explained by an entire team roster changing week to week, rather than the slow drips of incineration or regular trades.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rumour is that the apps were delayed because of Apple authorization/certification/whatever it is.

The browser implementation is very clunky though. It takes multiple clicks to look at each player's stats and I don't think it's possible to even see who's pitching the next game.

If you're Chrome on mobile you can at least unfuck the site by checking Desktop Site on in the settings (dunno what the equivalent is on other browsers)

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Antitonic posted:

Yeah, a few teams had to scramble to organise spaces they didn’t think they would need. I assume it’s because there seems to be more of an emphasis on player movement now. Lore being messy could be explained by an entire team roster changing week to week, rather than the slow drips of incineration or regular trades.

the longer answer given at the time was that there were multiple instances of people coming to keepers and telling them that the lore being made for such and such character was racist, and after months of internal meetings they concluded they would really prefer to have that be someone else's problem (with a subtext of their lawyers' agreeing they should really have that be someone else's problem)

personally the discussion/answers given seemed far too reminiscent of all the times authors talked about being unable to read fanfiction so they can maintain plausible deniability for copyright reasons etc for that not to have also been something the lawyers advised them about

(a "fun" side note is that there are teams that straight-up don't have an official place to talk lore now, having previously decided to ban it from their sidecords in order to keep everything public/in one place/etc and being very un-eager to reverse this decision in light of the reasoning provided above)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Antitonic posted:

I think a lot of the lore early on was fairly organic. Then people wanted desperately to make the next perfect Jaylen Hotdogfingers and squabbled.

Also I think there was some disputes over fan art being used in fan projects without consent or something. Don’t blame them for not wanting to be the arbiter of that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also I think there was some disputes over fan art being used in fan projects without consent or something. Don’t blame them for not wanting to be the arbiter of that.

It was more that there were fan designs incorporated into the official card game, but despite promises that permission would be asked for and credit would be given re: players with iconic designs (and wholly new designs would be made if the fan artist didn't agree to release the design), several creators felt that they hadn't been communicated with. Lots of artists feeling disrespected atm.

I can definitely see where TGB is clamping down on "official" fan lore making for legal reasons. It's just a shame they couldn't be clearer about the whys.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The ol' capitalist "make a cool thing that tons of people like and use, have no idea how to monetize it, then crash and burn when the original users leave because what used to make it fun, cool, or useful is no longer there because cash rules everything around me"

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Nick Buntline posted:

(a "fun" side note is that there are teams that straight-up don't have an official place to talk lore now, having previously decided to ban it from their sidecords in order to keep everything public/in one place/etc and being very un-eager to reverse this decision in light of the reasoning provided above)

Yeah, I could only screenshot so much.

But the Moist Talkers are a good example of this; we didn’t even have a sidecord until this came out. And I know there were other teams in the same boat.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

If it were me that had to decide, or even moderate over "is this green, scaly player that has never been portrayed as Jewish but is named Zimmerman inherently antisemitic because he's massively disliked and has an ironclad contract" and also "are all negative portrayals of Jewish-named people antisemitic, and thus is it even possible to have villains that are minorities", I would also say 'yeah get this fuckin poo poo outta here I don't need to deal with it in our pretend baseball game where players get trapped in peanuts and incinerated by umpires'.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

New possible Decree "Open The Forbidden Book" time to get weird

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is betting on the underdog not a good idea at the moment? I've been putting all my money into long shot bets hoping for big payouts, but I'm not anywhere close to breaking even on most tickets.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

blastron posted:

Is betting on the underdog not a good idea at the moment? I've been putting all my money into long shot bets hoping for big payouts, but I'm not anywhere close to breaking even on most tickets.

Turns out betting on favourites is actually paying out accurately in the long run.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

New possible Decree "Open The Forbidden Book" time to get weird

Groundhog Day vibes, we know that leads nowhere good!!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

harperdc posted:

Groundhog Day vibes, we know that leads nowhere good!!

But how can we be sure, only one way to find out

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
I bet there's candy inside this time, like those little Lifesavers books!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Squall posted:

Yeah. I feel like they made it prettier and all it cost was 100% of the usability.

dunno what you're talking about, this looks perfectly fine to me

(I guess those are actually scrollbars on the bottom and right edge, but they're the full width of the screen?? So there's no way to tell where you are on the page relative to the rest of the content, like every other scrollbar that's ever existed???)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’m upset how much more money I’m making by betting on favored teams than I was by betting on the underdogs. I was really hoping that going with the losing bets was a high-risk, high-reward deal, but I never saw any big payouts when I did happen to win. Now I’m just betting on the winners and making back my money every time.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Supposedly any bet should be on average a slight profit but of course overdogs are more reliable, and the game traditionally seems to underestimate how likely the better team is to win, especially when that team is like the wings, absurdly better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

blastron posted:

I’m upset how much more money I’m making by betting on favored teams than I was by betting on the underdogs. I was really hoping that going with the losing bets was a high-risk, high-reward deal, but I never saw any big payouts when I did happen to win. Now I’m just betting on the winners and making back my money every time.

yeah usually with sports gambling you want to bet on who wins, not sure why this is complicated

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
RIV

https://thegameband.medium.com/many-teams-one-goodbye-thank-you-for-playing-blaseball-2a5ecec378f7

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Sad but not surprising. Admittedly I haven’t kept up in ages, but did they ever even have any kind of plan for monetization?

Didn’t help that there were long hiatuses and by the end the first experimental seasons it felt like you couldn’t really meaningfully participate unless you were deeply immersed in a bunch of fan discords or whatever. At a certain point it just felt like it was more interesting to read the occasional roundup post about the wacky stuff the core dedicated fan base had gotten up to than to actually interact with the site.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Even as someone that was super into it in the first dozen seasons or so, it felt really hard to follow, even if the core "gameplay" loop was extremely basic. The sim was interesting, but the social side of it felt like an RPG that got further and further off the rails.

The writeup of it very much being a thing of lockdown life is super true. It's hard to capture and sustain that level of interest.

Hopefully whatever they do next is interesting. They definitely have some creative folks, and I hope they all, those still employed and those laid off, land on their feet.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Blaseball was a really fun flash in the pan during the pandemic and I’ll always appreciate it for that.

They didn’t know what to do after the hiatus and that’s just how it goes

RIV

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hope everyone gets new jobs soon.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I'm kinda shocked it was a business, to be honest. They are laying off staff?

It had the look and feel of a game being run in someone's basement. Admittedly I haven't engaged with it in the last year or more. Did it turn into some big production? Wih actual staff? Maybe it had staff to begin with, too? I enjoyed it at first, crazy little proc gen stories appearing (I assumed?). But yeah, I imagined this was some student's little side project while they were at uni or something and it took off. I had no idea there was a business behind it.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
It ran like somebody's side project, bugs and all, but then was bought out by a bigger company, went on hiatus for a year and a half, and somehow came back worse than it was back in 2020/2021, then was worked on for 4 months which apparently wasn't good enough to relaunch.

Blaseball was fantastic back in its first 24 seasons, because you could excuse the bugs, and the bigger ones were fixed relatively quickly and rolled with. Then they shut it all down for a ton of time to presumably make it better and it looks like they failed to do so because they came back a year and a half later and only managed two seasons before realizing that poo poo wasn't going well.

Blaseball was never sustainable, so I feel for its devs, but shutting it down for a long, extended period of time really killed its momentum.

We'll suck forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Z1AUnS9JY

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Funso Banjo posted:

I enjoyed it at first, crazy little proc gen stories appearing (I assumed?).

It was basically Dwarf Fortress with community input on the sim rules, and then the community created all the other lore, at which point it became a huge RPG sort of thing between the devs and the players.

The biggest problem is that the lore bloat got too unwieldy, the devs built in a universal reboot, and the community wasn't really into abandoning their massive pile of extant lore. It was basically the DC Universe Crisis story-wise, coupled with the inability to turn the game into something profitable while being nothing but a gussied up server script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Loved this game. Yeah, the original was lightning in a bottle and I have no idea how they could have brought it back with the same magic and make it sustainable. The most recent return was a big failure and I'm glad they shut it off to not hurt its reputation permanently