Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Siivola posted:

That's fascinating, thanks! I might have to take a peek at Child's work since I'd love to get into early music like that.

I'm far from a real medievalist but I'm like 90% sure these clothes are all over the place and I love it. :allears:

The pilgrim on the left is wearing all kinds of pilgrim chic, including a slouchy hat with a scallop shell, indicating he's been to Santiago de Compostela. Got a staff and a rosary and everything.

David's wearing what looks like a capotain or a sugarloaf hat, which dates to late 16th or early 17th century. His short jacket (or jerkin shows a distinct peascod belly, placing it pretty squarely in that era. He's not wearing any kind of collar which is probably for the better, since the ruffled collar of the late 16th century would look incredibly out of place in Sherwood. The sleeves on his doublet are amazing, and I have no idea if big wide sleeves like those have ever been a feature of menswear in England. His hose are kind of like 15th century joined hose but way too big for his butt, and I'm extremely disappointed he's not wearing a codpiece. :colbert: Finally, he's wearing quite an iconic pair of pointed shoes entirely appropriate for the Middle Ages.

It's a glorious mish-mash of reasonably historical clothing and I sincerely think it's miles and miles above anything Hollywood's done lately.

Thank you so much for this post!

The costuming was the biggest detail that I had absolutely no idea how to explicate, because I don't know enough of the terminology to know the appropriate search terms to even educate myself; I recognized Pyle was giving everybody pointy shoes and that's about it. Please chip in with comments on other costumes as we move forward, and anyone else too.

I hadn't realized Pyle was mixing eras like that, but i did notice that he has David and the Palmer standing in a classic stage pose, each of them "cheating" about one-third open towards the audience, so it looks like they're facing each other but you get a clearer view of each of them. Pyle is really *explicitly* staging this book like a Robin Hood play.

If want to do a deep dive on Pyle's costuming, there are a ton of articles about how much Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates ended up influencing Hollywood notions of pirates:

The funny thing is, most of the articles I'm finding are saying "these outfits are totally unrealistic and impractical" but what I've read from actual period accounts indicates that Pyle was actually surprisingly accurate, because pirate captains tended to dress really extravagantly from captured goods:

quote:

Above all they were distinguished by their clothes. In the early years of the eighteenth century most landsmen wore long coats and long waistcoats over knee breeches and stockings. Seamen on the other hand wore short blue jackets, over a checked shirt, and either long canvas trousers or baggy “petticoat breeches,” which somewhat resembled culottes. In addition, they frequently wore red waistcoats, and tied a scarf or handkerchief loosely around the neck.20

Most pirates wore variations of this traditional costume, which was hard-wearing and practical, though some wore more exotic clothes stolen from captured ships, or made from the silks and velvets which they plundered. Kit Oloard dressed “in black velvet trousers and jacket, crimson silk socks, black felt hat, brown beard and shirt collar embroidered in black silk.”21 John Stow noted that two pirates facing execution in 1615 gave away their fancy clothes, including breeches of crimson taffeta, velvet doublets with gold buttons, and velvet shirts with gold lace. Pirate captains seem to have adopted the clothes of naval officers or merchant sea captains, which at this period followed the style of English gentlemen. When he fought his last sea battle in 1722, the pirate captain Bartholomew Roberts was, according to Captain Johnson, “dressed in a rich crimson damask waistcoat and breeches, a red feather in his hat, a gold chain round his neck, with a diamond cross hanging to it.

(quoted from David Cordingly's Under the Black Flag)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Dareon posted:

The evolution of language is a pet subject of mine, and reading through this it's interesting to note things like "an" and "gin" which have all fallen under the umbrella of "if" these days. "Lusty" and "humming" are also adjectives that no longer apply to the subjects they're attached to. Well, lusty can be attached to a man, but not in the sense that is meant here, and I honestly have no idea what is meant by humming ale.

I always thought that it was an ale that made your head hum; a reference to the glow of mild inebriation.

Reading up on medieval brewing, I found out something else interesting. Ales (from barley) were made regularly and had to be served within a few days, or they'd go bad; beer (barley with hops) lasted longer.
"In 1333--34, the household of Elizabeth de Burgh, Lady of Clare, brewed about 8 quarters of barley and dredge each week, each quarter yielding about 60 gallons of ale. Brewing varied by the season of the year, with vast amounts produced in December (when more than 3,500 gallons were brewed) and quite restricted production in February (only 810 gallons). The members of the Clare household drank strong ale throughout the year, imbibing with particular gusto during the celebrations of Christmas and the New Year. "

I wish "lustily" was still used in that context; the closest you get is a "lust for life."

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Dareon posted:

I honestly have no idea what is meant by humming ale.

Like getting buzzed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cobalt-60 posted:

I always thought that it was an ale that made your head hum; a reference to the glow of mild inebriation.

Makes sense, I'd forgotten that beer was rather more like a vaguely-alcoholic soup that you drank for preference because water generally wasn't safe. You'd even give it to kids. At least in the 15th century.

The bit about palmers (And also the hat with the shell) is interesting. You want to go on a pilgrimage to prove your piety, but with the lack of long-distance communication options, for all your neighbors know you could have just gone three towns over and spent a couple months drinking and whoring. Solution: Bring back souvenirs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

And so they called him no more "thy sly Will Stutely". "Good! Stupid nickname anyway, don't know what I was thinking when I came up with that one", Will Stutely would say, and bang his fist on the nearest hard object for emphasis.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dareon posted:

Makes sense, I'd forgotten that beer was rather more like a vaguely-alcoholic soup that you drank for preference because water generally wasn't safe. You'd even give it to kids. At least in the 15th century.
Have you by any chance been playing Kingdom Come lately? Soupy beer that you need to drink with a straw is an ancient Egyptian thing, and that game is the only instance I know of that getting associated with the Middle Ages.
After 1400 or so beer had settled in to the combo of water, yeast, malt and, increasingly but not always, hops that we still drink today. :beerpal:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That was where I got the info, yeah. I'm not like, an expert. On anything. I just have thousands of factoids that may or may not be inaccurate, outdated, or outright fabricated.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Siivola posted:

Have you by any chance been playing Kingdom Come lately? Soupy beer that you need to drink with a straw is an ancient Egyptian thing, and that game is the only instance I know of that getting associated with the Middle Ages.
After 1400 or so beer had settled in to the combo of water, yeast, malt and, increasingly but not always, hops that we still drink today. :beerpal:

Technically, Pyle is setting this in the 1100's though! (even if all his references and set details are from the era of the ballads, that is, 1400 to 1700 or so). So there might be room for both of you to be correct.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 8, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I find it kind of interesting how most of the encounters between the Merry Men and anyone else go: "Ho there, stout fellow! I like the cut of your jib, let's try to bash each other's skulls with quarterstaffs!"

Was there an action scene quota for the ballads or something? I understand it's heavily idealized but whenever two men meet it's always a)drinking, b)singing, c)fighting, d)all of the above. Being a children's book from the 1880s, I'm kind of surprised it lacks a didactic message.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 9, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"An I not supply but one swordfyght, the goode folke shall bedeck me with cabbage."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

I find it kind of interesting how most of the encounters between the Merry Men and anyone else go: "Ho there, stout fellow! I like the cut of your jib, let's try to bash each other's skulls with quarterstaffs!"

Was there an action scene quota for the ballads or something? I understand it's heavily idealized but whenever two men meet it's always a)drinking, b)singing, c)fighting, d)all of the above. Being a children's book from the 1880s, I'm kind of surprised it lacks a didactic message.

This is a perfect segue into the next section!

My guess is that one part of your question answers the other. Relative to this version, the ballads are a lot more violent -- the best example being Robin Hood's Progress to Nottingham where Robin straight up murders fifteen cops just because they tried to cheat him on a bet. Literally everyone fights everyone else all the time, etc. Most of these ballads are known primarily from "broadside" cheaply printed versions, and yeah, "if it bleeds it leads" was a thing even then is my guess.

So I think Pyle is adding some moralizing here by constantly emphasizing Robin's relative nonviolence. Robin only shoots the forester in self-defense; he avoids sending his men into violent conflict unless forced into it; his preferred melee weapon is a quarterstaff instead of a sword. (Part of me wonders if this emphasis derives in part from Pyle's Quaker upbringing).

I think Pyle's trying to balance credible scholarship -- presenting a version that tracks reasonably closely with the actual ballad sources -- while also presenting a relatively moral work he'd see as suitable for children.

That said --
Up till now, the story has in a sense been mostly exposition -- setting up Robin's background, the establishment of the Merry Men, and the primary driving conflict between Robin and the Sheriff. The next story, "Robin Hood and the Butcher," is our first just "here's a Robin Hood story" set piece, and we'll see that Pyle makes some more significant changes than he has to prior stories.

This one is based on Child Ballad 122, "Robin Hood and the Butcher," which exists in two versions, "A" and "B." As far as I can tell (could be wrong) both versions are dated to somewhere between 1600 and 1700, though "A" is thought to be the older of the twain; both can be considered newer versions of "Robin Hood and the Potter", Child 121, one of the five oldest known Robin Hood ballads, which dates back to the 1490's (and which Pyle does not adapt).

quote:

NOW AFTER all these things had happened, and it became known to Robin Hood how the Sheriff had tried three times to make him captive, he said to himself, "If I have the chance, I will make our worshipful Sheriff pay right well for that which he hath done to me. Maybe I may bring him some time into Sherwood Forest and have him to a right merry feast with us." For when Robin Hood caught a baron or a squire, or a fat abbot or bishop, he brought them to the greenwood tree and feasted them before he lightened their purses.

But in the meantime Robin Hood and his band lived quietly in Sherwood Forest, without showing their faces abroad, for Robin knew that it would not be wise for him to be seen in the neighborhood of Nottingham, those in authority being very wroth with him. But though they did not go abroad, they lived a merry life within the woodlands, spending the days in shooting at garlands hung upon a willow wand at the end of the glade, the leafy aisles ringing with merry jests and laughter: for whoever missed the garland was given a sound buffet, which, if delivered by Little John, never failed to topple over the unfortunate yeoman. Then they had bouts of wrestling and of cudgel play, so that every day they gained in skill and strength.

Thus they dwelled for nearly a year, and in that time Robin Hood often turned over in his mind many means of making an even score with the Sheriff. At last he began to fret at his confinement; so one day he took up his stout cudgel and set forth to seek adventure, strolling blithely along until he came to the edge of Sherwood. There, as he rambled along the sunlit road, he met a lusty young butcher driving a fine mare and riding in a stout new cart, all hung about with meat. Merrily whistled the Butcher as he jogged along, for he was going to the market, and the day was fresh and sweet, making his heart blithe within him.

"Good morrow to thee, jolly fellow," quoth Robin, "thou seemest happy this merry morn."

"Ay, that am I," quoth the jolly Butcher, "and why should I not be so? Am I not hale in wind and limb? Have I not the bonniest lass in all Nottinghamshire? And lastly, am I not to be married to her on Thursday next in sweet Locksley Town?"

"Ha," said Robin, "comest thou from Locksley Town? Well do I know that fair place for miles about, and well do I know each hedgerow and gentle pebbly stream, and even all the bright little fishes therein, for there I was born and bred. Now, where goest thou with thy meat, my fair friend?"

"I go to the market at Nottingham Town to sell my beef and my mutton," answered the Butcher. "But who art thou that comest from Locksley Town?"

"A yeoman am I, and men do call me Robin Hood."

"Now, by Our Lady's grace," cried the Butcher, "well do I know thy name, and many a time have I heard thy deeds both sung and spoken of. But Heaven forbid that thou shouldst take aught of me! An honest man am I, and have wronged neither man nor maid; so trouble me not, good master, as I have never troubled thee."

"Nay, Heaven forbid, indeed," quoth Robin, "that I should take from such as thee, jolly fellow! Not so much as one farthing would I take from thee, for I love a fair Saxon face like thine right well—more especially when it cometh from Locksley Town, and most especially when the man that owneth it is to marry a bonny lass on Thursday next. But come, tell me for what price thou wilt sell me all of thy meat and thy horse and cart."

"At four marks do I value meat, cart, and mare," quoth the Butcher, "but if I do not sell all my meat I will not have four marks in value."

Then Robin Hood plucked the purse from his girdle, and quoth he, "Here in this purse are six marks. Now, I would fain be a butcher for the day and sell my meat in Nottingham Town. Wilt thou close a bargain with me and take six marks for thine outfit?"

"Now may the blessings of all the saints fall on thine honest head!" cried the Butcher right joyfully, as he leaped down from his cart and took the purse that Robin held out to him.

"Nay," quoth Robin, laughing loudly, "many do like me and wish me well, but few call me honest. Now get thee gone back to thy lass, and give her a sweet kiss from me." So saying, he donned the Butcher's apron, and, climbing into the cart, he took the reins in his hand and drove off through the forest to Nottingham Town.

Pyle follows the text of "Butcher B" here, which is important because in Potter and in "Butcher A" Robin 1) fights the merchant 2) loses (as is traditional when Robin fights someone who isn't rich), 3) makes a deal after the fight. So Pyle is still sticking pretty closely to the ballad sources here, but all three versions were in Child's, so Pyle has chosen the one that was least violent and friendliest. As elsewhere, he's also added some pro-Saxon verbiage, and a sharp little in-character jest about "few call me honest."

One bit of interesting analysis in J.C. Holt's Robin Hood is looking at the various "merchant meets Robin Hood" stories is thinking about who was the audience for these ballads? Holt's answer is that the audience was probably the rising merchant "yoeman" class -- not the very wealthy, but the butchers, tradesmen, etc. Which would help explain why the purported hero always gets his butt kicked by A_Random_Merchant_01, but also why they always become buds afterwards and then go after the real enemy -- greedy landlords, rich people, and tax collectors (that is, the sheriff).

quote:

When he came to Nottingham, he entered that part of the market where butchers stood, and took up his inn[Stand for selling] in the best place he could find. Next, he opened his stall and spread his meat upon the bench, then, taking his cleaver and steel and clattering them together, he trolled aloud in merry tones:

quote:

"Now come, ye lasses, and eke ye dames,
And buy your meat from me;
For three pennyworths of meat I sell
For the charge of one penny.

"Lamb have I that hath fed upon nought
But the dainty daisies pied,
And the violet sweet, and the daffodil
That grow fair streams beside.

"And beef have I from the heathery words,
And mutton from dales all green,
And veal as white as a maiden's brow,
With its mother's milk, I ween.

"Then come, ye lasses, and eke ye dames,
Come, buy your meat from me,
For three pennyworths of meat I sell
For the charge of one penny."

Thus he sang blithely, while all who stood near listened amazedly. Then, when he had finished, he clattered the steel and cleaver still more loudly, shouting lustily, "Now, who'll buy? Who'll buy? Four fixed prices have I. Three pennyworths of meat I sell to a fat friar or priest for sixpence, for I want not their custom; stout aldermen I charge threepence, for it doth not matter to me whether they buy or not; to buxom dames I sell three pennyworths of meat for one penny for I like their custom well; but to the bonny lass that hath a liking for a good tight butcher I charge nought but one fair kiss, for I like her custom the best of all."

Then all began to stare and wonder and crowd around, laughing, for never was such selling heard of in all Nottingham Town; but when they came to buy they found it as he had said, for he gave goodwife or dame as much meat for one penny as they could buy elsewhere for three, and when a widow or a poor woman came to him, he gave her flesh for nothing; but when a merry lass came and gave him a kiss, he charged not one penny for his meat; and many such came to his stall, for his eyes were as blue as the skies of June, and he laughed merrily, giving to each full measure. Thus he sold his meat so fast that no butcher that stood near him could sell anything.

Pyle really develops this a lot from the original ballad. In "Butcher B," Robin is just a bad merchant who doesn't understand meat prices, so he sells everything for a third of what it's worth; here, instead, Robin is just loving around because he wants to flirt with the girls in town; he's making merry, as is his wont. It wouldn't be in character for Pyle's Robin to be stupid, but it would be in character for him to be pranking people, so Pyle re-casts the episode (and in the process writes a bunch of brand-new ballad verse for Robin to sing).

Come to think of it, in the original ballads, Robin and the other Merry Men rarely if ever sing ballads themselves (maybe that will change when we get to Robin Hood and Allan-a-Dale, we'll see I guess). I'd always assumed that was something Pyle was drawing from the ballad sources, but I guess it isn't. Having all the characters constantly stop the action to sing ballads is a weird narrative choice; the only other author I can think of who does it with Pyle's frequency is Tolkien, and Tolkien is the right age to have read a lot of Pyle as a child.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 9, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

Then they began to talk among themselves, and some said, "This must be some thief who has stolen cart, horse, and meat"; but others said, "Nay, when did ye ever see a thief who parted with his goods so freely and merrily? This must be some prodigal who hath sold his father's land, and would fain live merrily while the money lasts." And these latter being the greater number, the others came round, one by one to their way of thinking.

Then some of the butchers came to him to make his acquaintance. "Come, brother," quoth one who was the head of them all, "we be all of one trade, so wilt thou go dine with us? For this day the Sheriff hath asked all the Butcher Guild to feast with him at the Guild Hall. There will be stout fare and much to drink, and that thou likest, or I much mistake thee."

"Now, beshrew his heart," quoth jolly Robin, "that would deny a butcher. And, moreover, I will go dine with you all, my sweet lads, and that as fast as I can hie." Whereupon, having sold all his meat, he closed his stall and went with them to the great Guild Hall.

"Beshrew" apparently means "make wicked; deprave; invoke evil upon; curse; blame for a misfortune."

Robin gets his angle!

It's worth noting that at this point the Sheriff has never gotten a clear look at an undisguised Robin (which is probably why Pyle has placed this story as early as it is in the book).

quote:

There the Sheriff had already come in state, and with him many butchers. When Robin and those that were with him came in, all laughing at some merry jest he had been telling them, those that were near the Sheriff whispered to him, "Yon is a right mad blade, for he hath sold more meat for one penny this day than we could sell for three, and to whatsoever merry lass gave him a kiss he gave meat for nought." And others said, "He is some prodigal that hath sold his land for silver and gold, and meaneth to spend all right merrily."

Then the Sheriff called Robin to him, not knowing him in his butcher's dress, and made him sit close to him on his right hand; for he loved a rich young prodigal—especially when he thought that he might lighten that prodigal's pockets into his own most worshipful purse. So he made much of Robin, and laughed and talked with him more than with any of the others.

At last the dinner was ready to be served and the Sheriff bade Robin say grace, so Robin stood up and said, "Now Heaven bless us all and eke good meat and good sack within this house, and may all butchers be and remain as honest men as I am."

At this all laughed, the Sheriff loudest of all, for he said to himself, "Surely this is indeed some prodigal, and perchance I may empty his purse of some of the money that the fool throweth about so freely." Then he spake aloud to Robin, saying, "Thou art a jolly young blade, and I love thee mightily"; and he smote Robin upon the shoulder.

Then Robin laughed loudly too. "Yea," quoth he, "I know thou dost love a jolly blade, for didst thou not have jolly Robin Hood at thy shooting match and didst thou not gladly give him a bright golden arrow for his own?"

At this the Sheriff looked grave and all the guild of butchers too, so that none laughed but Robin, only some winked slyly at each other.

"Come, fill us some sack!" cried Robin. "Let us e'er be merry while we may, for man is but dust, and he hath but a span to live here till the worm getteth him, as our good gossip Swanthold sayeth; so let life be merry while it lasts, say I. Nay, never look down i' the mouth, Sir Sheriff. Who knowest but that thou mayest catch Robin Hood yet, if thou drinkest less good sack and Malmsey, and bringest down the fat about thy paunch and the dust from out thy brain. Be merry, man."

Then the Sheriff laughed again, but not as though he liked the jest, while the butchers said, one to another, "Before Heaven, never have we seen such a mad rollicking blade. Mayhap, though, he will make the Sheriff mad."

"How now, brothers," cried Robin, "be merry! nay, never count over your farthings, for by this and by that I will pay this shot myself, e'en though it cost two hundred pounds. So let no man draw up his lip, nor thrust his forefinger into his purse, for I swear that neither butcher nor Sheriff shall pay one penny for this feast."

"Now thou art a right merry soul," quoth the Sheriff, "and I wot thou must have many a head of horned beasts and many an acre of land, that thou dost spend thy money so freely."

"Ay, that have I," quoth Robin, laughing loudly again, "five hundred and more horned beasts have I and my brothers, and none of them have we been able to sell, else I might not have turned butcher. As for my land, I have never asked my steward how many acres I have."

At this the Sheriff's eyes twinkled, and he chuckled to himself. "Nay, good youth," quoth he, "if thou canst not sell thy cattle, it may be I will find a man that will lift them from thy hands; perhaps that man may be myself, for I love a merry youth and would help such a one along the path of life. Now how much dost thou want for thy horned cattle?"

"Well," quoth Robin, "they are worth at least five hundred pounds."

"Nay," answered the Sheriff slowly, and as if he were thinking within himself, "well do I love thee, and fain would I help thee along, but five hundred pounds in money is a good round sum; besides I have it not by me. Yet I will give thee three hundred pounds for them all, and that in good hard silver and gold."

"Now thou old miser!" quoth Robin, "well thou knowest that so many horned cattle are worth seven hundred pounds and more, and even that is but small for them, and yet thou, with thy gray hairs and one foot in the grave, wouldst trade upon the folly of a wild youth."

At this the Sheriff looked grimly at Robin. "Nay," quoth Robin, "look not on me as though thou hadst sour beer in thy mouth, man. I will take thine offer, for I and my brothers do need the money. We lead a merry life, and no one leads a merry life for a farthing, so I will close the bargain with thee. But mind that thou bringest a good three hundred pounds with thee, for I trust not one that driveth so shrewd a bargain."

"I will bring the money," said the Sheriff. "But what is thy name, good youth?"

"Men call me Robert o' Locksley," quoth bold Robin.

"Then, good Robert o' Locksley," quoth the Sheriff, "I will come this day to see thy horned beasts. But first my clerk shall draw up a paper in which thou shalt be bound to the sale, for thou gettest not my money without I get thy beasts in return."

Then Robin Hood laughed again. "So be it," he said, smiting his palm upon the Sheriff's hand. "Truly my brothers will be thankful to thee for thy money."

Thus the bargain was closed, but many of the butchers talked among themselves of the Sheriff, saying that it was but a scurvy trick to beguile a poor spendthrift youth in this way.

The joke here, of course, being that Robin is being completely honest with the Sheriff, stating his name outright; and he does have horned beasts, though what kind of beast the Sheriff wotteth not! The "horned beasts" joke is in both "Butcher A" and "Butcher B" but in neither is Robin ballsy enough to just state his own name outright brazenly to the Sheriff's face.

In "Potter", the "horned beasts" are of course absent, and Robin competes in an archery contest, wins, and convinces the Sheriff that he knows exactly where Robin Hood is and can help the Sheriff trap him. So by following the "Butcher" version rather than the "Potter" version, Pyle avoids a repetitive archery contest, while also allowing space for a bit of a moral, as in "Butcher" the Sheriff is greedy and trying to scam a victim, rather than just trying to capture Robin and do his job.

quote:

The afternoon had come when the Sheriff mounted his horse and joined Robin Hood, who stood outside the gateway of the paved court waiting for him, for he had sold his horse and cart to a trader for two marks. Then they set forth upon their way, the Sheriff riding upon his horse and Robin running beside him. Thus they left Nottingham Town and traveled forward along the dusty highway, laughing and jesting together as though they had been old friends. But all the time the Sheriff said within himself, "Thy jest to me of Robin Hood shall cost thee dear, good fellow, even four hundred pounds, thou fool." For he thought he would make at least that much by his bargain.

So they journeyed onward till they came within the verge of Sherwood Forest, when presently the Sheriff looked up and down and to the right and to the left of him, and then grew quiet and ceased his laughter. "Now," quoth he, "may Heaven and its saints preserve us this day from a rogue men call Robin Hood."

Then Robin laughed aloud. "Nay," said he, "thou mayst set thy mind at rest, for well do I know Robin Hood and well do I know that thou art in no more danger from him this day than thou art from me."

At this the Sheriff looked askance at Robin, saying to himself, "I like not that thou seemest so well acquainted with this bold outlaw, and I wish that I were well out of Sherwood Forest."

I will laugh at this joke every single time it appears in this book.

quote:

But still they traveled deeper into the forest shades, and the deeper they went, the more quiet grew the Sheriff. At last they came to where the road took a sudden bend, and before them a herd of dun deer went tripping across the path. Then Robin Hood came close to the Sheriff and pointing his finger, he said, "These are my horned beasts, good Master Sheriff. How dost thou like them? Are they not fat and fair to see?"

At this the Sheriff drew rein quickly. "Now fellow," quoth he, "I would I were well out of this forest, for I like not thy company. Go thou thine own path, good friend, and let me but go mine."

But Robin only laughed and caught the Sheriff's bridle rein. "Nay," cried he, "stay awhile, for I would thou shouldst see my brothers, who own these fair horned beasts with me." So saying, he clapped his bugle to his mouth and winded three merry notes, and presently up the path came leaping fivescore good stout yeomen with Little John at their head.

"What wouldst thou have, good master?" quoth Little John.

"Why," answered Robin, "dost thou not see that I have brought goodly company to feast with us today? Fye, for shame! Do you not see our good and worshipful master, the Sheriff of Nottingham? Take thou his bridle, Little John, for he has honored us today by coming to feast with us."

Apparently, from J.C. Holt, this "highwayman asks traveller to dine with him" was a fairly common trope across various outlaw ballads, and may even have actually been common outlaw practice, under the theory that,hey, if you *sold* someone a *meal*, then it wasn't *robbery*, right? No crime!

quote:

Then all doffed their hats humbly, without smiling or seeming to be in jest, while Little John took the bridle rein and led the palfrey still deeper into the forest, all marching in order, with Robin Hood walking beside the Sheriff, hat in hand.

All this time the Sheriff said never a word but only looked about him like one suddenly awakened from sleep; but when he found himself going within the very depths of Sherwood his heart sank within him, for he thought, "Surely my three hundred pounds will be taken from me, even if they take not my life itself, for I have plotted against their lives more than once." But all seemed humble and meek and not a word was said of danger, either to life or money.

So at last they came to that part of Sherwood Forest where a noble oak spread its branches wide, and beneath it was a seat all made of moss, on which Robin sat down, placing the Sheriff at his right hand. "Now busk ye, my merry men all," quoth he, "and bring forth the best we have, both of meat and wine, for his worship the Sheriff hath feasted me in Nottingham Guild Hall today, and I would not have him go back empty."

All this time nothing had been said of the Sheriff's money, so presently he began to pluck up heart. "For," said he to himself, "maybe Robin Hood hath forgotten all about it."

Then, while beyond in the forest bright fires crackled and savory smells of sweetly roasting venison and fat capons filled the glade, and brown pasties warmed beside the blaze, did Robin Hood entertain the Sheriff right royally. First, several couples stood forth at quarterstaff, and so shrewd were they at the game, and so quickly did they give stroke and parry, that the Sheriff, who loved to watch all lusty sports of the kind, clapped his hands, forgetting where he was, and crying aloud, "Well struck! Well struck, thou fellow with the black beard!" little knowing that the man he called upon was the Tinker that tried to serve his warrant upon Robin Hood.

Then several yeomen came forward and spread cloths upon the green grass, and placed a royal feast; while others still broached barrels of sack and Malmsey and good stout ale, and set them in jars upon the cloth, with drinking horns about them. Then all sat down and feasted and drank merrily together until the sun was low and the half-moon glimmered with a pale light betwixt the leaves of the trees overhead.

Then the Sheriff arose and said, "I thank you all, good yeomen, for the merry entertainment ye have given me this day. Right courteously have ye used me, showing therein that ye have much respect for our glorious King and his deputy in brave Nottinghamshire. But the shadows grow long, and I must away before darkness comes, lest I lose myself within the forest."

Then Robin Hood and all his merry men arose also, and Robin said to the Sheriff, "If thou must go, worshipful sir, go thou must; but thou hast forgotten one thing."

"Nay, I forgot nought," said the Sheriff; yet all the same his heart sank within him.

I really like that they actually do show the Sheriff a good time. Like, it's not fake; the Sheriff *does* get invited to the cool kids party for a night.

quote:

"But I say thou hast forgot something," quoth Robin. "We keep a merry inn here in the greenwood, but whoever becometh our guest must pay his reckoning."

Then the Sheriff laughed, but the laugh was hollow. "Well, jolly boys," quoth he, "we have had a merry time together today, and even if ye had not asked me, I would have given you a score of pounds for the sweet entertainment I have had."

"Nay," quoth Robin seriously, "it would ill beseem us to treat Your Worship so meanly. By my faith, Sir Sheriff, I would be ashamed to show my face if I did not reckon the King's deputy at three hundred pounds. Is it not so, my merry men all?"

Then "Ay!" cried all, in a loud voice.

"Three hundred devils!" roared the Sheriff. "Think ye that your beggarly feast was worth three pounds, let alone three hundred?"

"Nay," quoth Robin gravely. "Speak not so roundly, Your Worship. I do love thee for the sweet feast thou hast given me this day in merry Nottingham Town; but there be those here who love thee not so much. If thou wilt look down the cloth thou wilt see Will Stutely, in whose eyes thou hast no great favor; then two other stout fellows are there here that thou knowest not, that were wounded in a brawl nigh Nottingham Town, some time ago—thou wottest when; one of them was sore hurt in one arm, yet he hath got the use of it again. Good Sheriff, be advised by me; pay thy score without more ado, or maybe it may fare ill with thee."

As he spoke the Sheriff's ruddy cheeks grew pale, and he said nothing more but looked upon the ground and gnawed his nether lip. Then slowly he drew forth his fat purse and threw it upon the cloth in front of him.

"Now take the purse, Little John," quoth Robin Hood, "and see that the reckoning be right. We would not doubt our Sheriff, but he might not like it if he should find he had not paid his full score."

Then Little John counted the money and found that the bag held three hundred pounds in silver and gold. But to the Sheriff it seemed as if every clink of the bright money was a drop of blood from his veins. And when he saw it all counted out in a heap of silver and gold, filling a wooden platter, he turned away and silently mounted his horse.

"Never have we had so worshipful a guest before!" quoth Robin, "and, as the day waxeth late, I will send one of my young men to guide thee out of the forest depths."

"Nay, Heaven forbid!" cried the Sheriff hastily. "I can find mine own way, good man, without aid."

"Then I will put thee on the right track mine own self," quoth Robin, and, taking the Sheriff's horse by the bridle rein, he led him into the main forest path. Then, before he let him go, he said, "Now, fare thee well, good Sheriff, and when next thou thinkest to despoil some poor prodigal, remember thy feast in Sherwood Forest. 'Ne'er buy a horse, good friend, without first looking into its mouth,' as our good gaffer Swanthold says. And so, once more, fare thee well." Then he clapped his hand to the horse's back, and off went nag and Sheriff through the forest glades.

Then bitterly the Sheriff rued the day that first he meddled with Robin Hood, for all men laughed at him and many ballads were sung by folk throughout the country, of how the Sheriff went to shear and came home shorn to the very quick. For thus men sometimes overreach themselves through greed and guile.

And here we get the explicit moral that we didn't have in the earlier tales. It fits better here with the narrative structure of the original ballads, and Pyle doesn't waste a lot of time on it, but it's there.

The other major change Pyle makes in these latter sections of Butcher is that both Potter and Butcher A include some sections of Robin flirting with the Sheriff's wife -- in Potter Robin gives her a ring, and in Butcher A she speaks some lines and it appears (though some relevant pages are missing) that Robin only spares the Sheriff as a favor to the Sheriff's wife (again implying a relationship between the wife and Robin).

On the one hand, this means that Pyle just cut out one of the very few speaking roles for a female character in all the early ballad sources. On the other, though, this way he avoids any hint that Robin was carrying on with a married woman, again fitting in with Pyle's quaker morality (Pyle also was known for only teaching his students to draw from clothed models).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I found a neat article on how Robin moved from the ballads, through pulp serials, and into Pyle; it also gives us some more background on that Dumas version I mentioned on the last page:

quote:

obin Hood stayed popular. Serialized in 1838, published as a book in 1840, Pierce Egan the Younger's Robin Hood and Little John: or, The Merry Men of Sherwood Forest was a Victorian best-seller. Knight describes it as a "page-turner". Kevin Carpenter describes the features of Egan's book as "Terrific battles, terrible injuries, violent deaths, attempted rapes, amorous encounters, nocturnal abductions, incarcerations in damp dungeons, wailing Gothic ghosts, lecherous old villains".

RH and a Wood demon, illustrated by Robert Prowse for George Emmett's weekly serial Robin Hood and the Outlaws of Sherwood Forest (1868-9)The success of Egan's Robin Hood serial meant that more books were produced, like the 31-part Maid Marian, the Forest Queen by J.H. Stocqueler who also wrote a Robin Hood comic opera. Also, there was the 40-part Little John and Will Scarlett; or, The Outlaws of Sherwood Forest, a serial named after "Allen-a-Dale The Comrade of Bold Robin Hood"; and a host of other series published by the penny press in Britain. Originally targeted for adults, the penny press soon began to cash in on the children's market. These publishers were not considered respectable, and the stories were aimed at working class kids. These publications are usually called penny dreadfuls.

Alexandre Dumas the Elder was said to have written two French Robin Hood novels, which were first published in 1872 and 1873, strongly based on Egan's work. (Dumas's only role may have been to find a translator/adapter for Egan's story, although the books became attributed to the famous author.) The first was Robin Hood, prince des voleurs [or Prince of Thieves, as it was known in the English translation.]

And the stories were indeed dreadful, as Kevin Carpenter's article "Robin Hood in Boys' Weeklies to 1914" describes in detail. Carpenter examines the history of Robin Hood stories that appeared in serial publications like Boys of England and Young Men of Great Britain. The Robin Hood serials of the mid-19th to early 20th century were filled with soap opera moments. In one serial, Friar Tuck performed over 30 marriages. There's over-the-top pseudo-medieval dialogue such as "A malison on thee, thou knave of the blackest dye!" Magical creatures like a wood demon and a sprite named Flip abound. And then there are the villains -- dastardly barons with names like Caspar Steinkopft, Sir Tristram Uggeleretsche (both from Egan), Baron de Beetelbrowze and Hugo Malair.

https://www.boldoutlaw.com/robages/robages8.html

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Unironically loving those villain names. That is some Phoenix Wright level poo poo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

On the one hand, this means that Pyle just cut out one of the very few speaking roles for a female character in all the early ballad sources. On the other, though, this way he avoids any hint that Robin was carrying on with a married woman, again fitting in with Pyle's quaker morality (Pyle also was known for only teaching his students to draw from clothed models).
I mean, he forgot all about Maid Marian and got into sloppy makeout sessions with every marketplace wench.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dareon posted:

Unironically loving those villain names. That is some Phoenix Wright level poo poo.

Just from skimming the first chapter of the Dumas version, even teen Robin was already shooting down arrows in flight with other arrows.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I think at least a part of the reason is that at the time of the ballads, life just was a hella lot more violent than it is these days. Dudes at the time were very touchy about their honour, so any kind of dudely jibing might end up interpreted as an attack on one's character and that means you have to push back or you'll be forever known as a big ol' wimp. (See for instance how neither Robin or Little John want to let the other cross the bridge first.) Nobody wants to be friends with a coward, and in a society that runs largely on contacts and credit, that means a lot.

Conversely, if you whip the Robin Hood's rear end with a staff you must be a tough, brave lad and everyone wants to be friends with you.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Come to think of it, in the original ballads, Robin and the other Merry Men rarely if ever sing ballads themselves (maybe that will change when we get to Robin Hood and Allan-a-Dale, we'll see I guess). I'd always assumed that was something Pyle was drawing from the ballad sources, but I guess it isn't. Having all the characters constantly stop the action to sing ballads is a weird narrative choice; the only other author I can think of who does it with Pyle's frequency is Tolkien, and Tolkien is the right age to have read a lot of Pyle as a child.

I think it adds to the setting; noblebright Merrie England, where humming ale, good cheese, and fresh baked bread are always available, the lasses are fair, the men are stout, everyone has a tune on their lips to sing for each other, and a good fair fight leads to lifelong friendship.

Brian Jacques totally read Pyle too.

Also, "Now stand thou back thine own self," is a GREAT line, and I will find a way to use it in some RPG.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The next section is kindof a weird interlude, but it's right out of A Gest of Robyn Hode, the oldest Robin Hood ballad we have. More specifically, it's a chunk out of the middle; we'll get to the main storyline of the Gest later.

In the Gest, Robin lends Little John to the service of a knight (we'll get to that story later); while in the service of the knight, Little John wins an archery contest in Nottingham; the Sheriff asks him to join up and, what the hell, Little John agrees and becomes the Sheriff's right-hand man as a prank, after which some hijinks ensue.

Since Pyle is re-arranging the narrative order, he has to restructure the framing a bit.

quote:

SPRING HAD GONE since the Sheriff's feast in Sherwood, and summer also, and the mellow month of October had come. All the air was cool and fresh; the harvests were gathered home, the young birds were full fledged, the hops were plucked, and apples were ripe. But though time had so smoothed things over that men no longer talked of the horned beasts that the Sheriff wished to buy, he was still sore about the matter and could not bear to hear Robin Hood's name spoken in his presence.

With October had come the time for holding the great Fair which was celebrated every five years at Nottingham Town, to which folk came from far and near throughout the country. At such times archery was always the main sport of the day, for the Nottinghamshire yeomen were the best hand at the longbow in all merry England, but this year the Sheriff hesitated a long time before he issued proclamation of the Fair, fearing lest Robin Hood and his band might come to it. At first he had a great part of a mind not to proclaim the Fair, but second thought told him that men would laugh at him and say among themselves that he was afraid of Robin Hood, so he put that thought by. At last he fixed in his mind that he would offer such a prize as they would not care to shoot for. At such times it had been the custom to offer a half score of marks or a tun of ale, so this year he proclaimed that a prize of two fat steers should be given to the best bowman.

When Robin Hood heard what had been proclaimed he was vexed, and said, "Now beshrew this Sheriff that he should offer such a prize that none but shepherd hinds will care to shoot for it! I would have loved nothing better than to have had another bout at merry Nottingham Town, but if I should win this prize nought would it pleasure or profit me."

Then up spoke Little John: "Nay, but hearken, good master," said he, "only today Will Stutely, young David of Doncaster, and I were at the Sign of the Blue Boar, and there we heard all the news of this merry Fair, and also that the Sheriff hath offered this prize, that we of Sherwood might not care to come to the Fair; so, good master, if thou wilt, I would fain go and strive to win even this poor thing among the stout yeomen who will shoot at Nottingham Town."

"Nay, Little John," quoth Robin, "thou art a sound stout fellow, yet thou lackest the cunning that good Stutely hath, and I would not have harm befall thee for all Nottinghamshire. Nevertheless, if thou wilt go, take some disguise lest there be those there who may know thee."

"So be it, good master," quoth Little John, "yet all the disguise that I wish is a good suit of scarlet instead of this of Lincoln green. I will draw the cowl of my jacket about my head so that it will hide my brown hair and beard, and then, I trust, no one will know me."

"It is much against my will," said Robin Hood, "ne'ertheless, if thou dost wish it, get thee gone, but bear thyself seemingly, Little John, for thou art mine own right-hand man and I could ill bear to have harm befall thee."

So Little John clad himself all in scarlet and started off to the Fair at Nottingham Town.

It's another fair at Nottingham and another archery contest; but this one's lame, so Robin and most of the other Merry Men decide not to bother. Still, Little John is feeling kinda bored just being merry all the time, he wants some hijinks, so he decides to go anyway.

quote:

Right merry were these Fair days at Nottingham, when the green before the great town gate was dotted with booths standing in rows, with tents of many-colored canvas, hung about with streamers and garlands of flowers, and the folk came from all the countryside, both gentle and common. In some booths there was dancing to merry music, in others flowed ale and beer, and in others yet again sweet cakes and barley sugar were sold; and sport was going outside the booths also, where some minstrel sang ballads of the olden time, playing a second upon the harp, or where the wrestlers struggled with one another within the sawdust ring, but the people gathered most of all around a raised platform where stout fellows played at quarterstaff.

So Little John came to the Fair. All scarlet were his hose and jerkin, and scarlet was his cowled cap, with a scarlet feather stuck in the side of it. Over his shoulders was slung a stout bow of yew, and across his back hung a quiver of good round arrows. Many turned to look after such a stout, tall fellow, for his shoulders were broader by a palm's-breadth than any that were there, and he stood a head taller than all the other men. The lasses, also, looked at him askance, thinking they had never seen a lustier youth.

First of all he went to the booth where stout ale was sold and, standing aloft on a bench, he called to all that were near to come and drink with him. "Hey, sweet lads!" cried he "who will drink ale with a stout yeoman? Come, all! Come, all! Let us be merry, for the day is sweet and the ale is tingling. Come hither, good yeoman, and thou, and thou; for not a farthing shall one of you pay. Nay, turn hither, thou lusty beggar, and thou jolly tinker, for all shall be merry with me."

Thus he shouted, and all crowded around, laughing, while the brown ale flowed; and they called Little John a brave fellow, each swearing that he loved him as his own brother; for when one has entertainment with nothing to pay, one loves the man that gives it to one.

Just a great description here, and yeah, who wouldn't like to have someone stroll up to the beer booth and shout out "drinks are on me, everybody!"

quote:

Then he strolled to the platform where they were at cudgel play, for he loved a bout at quarterstaff as he loved meat and drink; and here befell an adventure that was sung in ballads throughout the mid-country for many a day.

One fellow there was that cracked crowns of everyone who threw cap into the ring. This was Eric o' Lincoln, of great renown, whose name had been sung in ballads throughout the countryside. When Little John reached the stand he found none fighting, but only bold Eric walking up and down the platform, swinging his staff and shouting lustily, "Now, who will come and strike a stroke for the lass he loves the best, with a good Lincolnshire yeoman? How now, lads? Step up! Step up! Or else the lasses' eyes are not bright hereabouts, or the blood of Nottingham youth is sluggish and cold. Lincoln against Nottingham, say I! For no one hath put foot upon the boards this day such as we of Lincoln call a cudgel player."

At this, one would nudge another with his elbow, saying, "Go thou, Ned!" or "Go thou, Thomas!" but no lad cared to gain a cracked crown for nothing.

Presently Eric saw where Little John stood among the others, a head and shoulders above them all, and he called to him loudly, "Halloa, thou long-legged fellow in scarlet! Broad are thy shoulders and thick thy head; is not thy lass fair enough for thee to take cudgel in hand for her sake? In truth, I believe that Nottingham men do turn to bone and sinew, for neither heart nor courage have they! Now, thou great lout, wilt thou not twirl staff for Nottingham?"

As far as I can tell, the entirety of this quarterstaff bout is Pyle's invention." I can't find any other sources in google or google books referencing our good friend Eric, though, excepting only Louis Rhead's 1912 Robin Hood which seems heavily based on Pyle's, so this sequence seems like a Pyle invention. It really would not surprise me to find out I'm wrong though, especially since Pyle specifically calls out "Eric O'Lincoln" as having had his "name sung in ballads throughout the countryside. When I read this as a kid, I always thought of this as one of the iconic fights in the book, and assumed it must be coming from a ballad original (especially since Pyle says Eric O'Lincoln featured in ballads).

That said, the format of the sequence is classic and one I've seen in everything from folk stories to kung fu movies (specifically, i'm thinking of Five Fingers of Death which has almost this exact sequence just with kung fu instead of quarterstaves -- skip to 9:45 mark to about 12:30): Some travelling badass is beating up local challengers, and our local guy with real talent and skill steps up and you get a bout for the ages.

quote:

"Ay," quoth Little John, "had I but mine own good staff here, it would pleasure me hugely to crack thy knave's pate, thou saucy braggart! I wot it would be well for thee an thy cock's comb were cut!" Thus he spoke, slowly at first, for he was slow to move; but his wrath gathered headway like a great stone rolling down a hill, so that at the end he was full of anger.

Then Eric o' Lincoln laughed aloud. "Well spoken for one who fears to meet me fairly, man to man," said he. "Saucy art thou thine own self, and if thou puttest foot upon these boards, I will make thy saucy tongue rattle within thy teeth!"

"Now," quoth Little John, "is there never a man here that will lend me a good stout staff till I try the mettle of yon fellow?" At this, half a score reached him their staves, and he took the stoutest and heaviest of them all. Then, looking up and down the cudgel, he said, "Now, I have in my hand but a splint of wood—a barley straw, as it were—yet I trow it will have to serve me, so here goeth." Thereupon he cast the cudgel upon the stand and, leaping lightly after it, snatched it up in his hand again.

classic little hero's journey here, Little John initially refusing the call, being granted outside aid, then accepting.

quote:

Then each man stood in his place and measured the other with fell looks until he that directed the sport cried, "Play!" At this they stepped forth, each grasping his staff tightly in the middle. Then those that stood around saw the stoutest game of quarterstaff that e'er Nottingham Town beheld. At first Eric o' Lincoln thought that he would gain an easy advantage, so he came forth as if he would say, "Watch, good people, how that I carve you this cockerel right speedily"; but he presently found it to be no such speedy matter. Right deftly he struck, and with great skill of fence, but he had found his match in Little John. Once, twice, thrice, he struck, and three times Little John turned the blows to the left hand and to the right. Then quickly and with a dainty backhanded blow, he rapped Eric beneath his guard so shrewdly that it made his head ring again. Then Eric stepped back to gather his wits, while a great shout went up and all were glad that Nottingham had cracked Lincoln's crown; and thus ended the first bout of the game.

Then presently the director of the sport cried, "Play!" and they came together again; but now Eric played warily, for he found his man was of right good mettle, and also he had no sweet memory of the blow that he had got; so this bout neither Little John nor the Lincoln man caught a stroke within his guard. Then, after a while, they parted again, and this made the second bout.

Then for the third time they came together, and at first Eric strove to be wary, as he had been before; but, growing mad at finding himself so foiled, he lost his wits and began to rain blows so fiercely and so fast that they rattled like hail on penthouse roof; but, in spite of all, he did not reach within Little John's guard. Then at last Little John saw his chance and seized it right cleverly. Once more, with a quick blow, he rapped Eric beside the head, and ere he could regain himself, Little John slipped his right hand down to his left and, with a swinging blow, smote the other so sorely upon the crown that down he fell as though he would never move again.

Then the people shouted so loud that folk came running from all about to see what was the ado; while Little John leaped down from the stand and gave the staff back to him that had lent it to him. And thus ended the famous bout between Little John and Eric o' Lincoln of great renown.

But now the time had come when those who were to shoot with the longbow were to take their places, so the people began flocking to the butts where the shooting was to be. Near the target, in a good place, sat the Sheriff upon a raised dais, with many gentlefolk around him. When the archers had taken their places, the herald came forward and proclaimed the rules of the game, and how each should shoot three shots, and to him that should shoot the best the prize of two fat steers was to belong. A score of brave shots were gathered there, and among them some of the keenest hands at the longbow in Lincoln and Nottinghamshire; and among them Little John stood taller than all the rest. "Who is yon stranger clad all in scarlet?" said some, and others answered, "It is he that hath but now so soundly cracked the crown of Eric o' Lincoln." Thus the people talked among themselves, until at last it reached even the Sheriff's ears.

Again, classic three-part structure, three rounds, ending in knockout -- and I like the specificity with which Pyle describes the winning blow, that's an actual quarterstaff move and a very powerful strike, like a baseball bat.

And this also decisively establishes Little John as the champion Quarterstaff Man in the same way that Robin is Champion Archery Man, for a nice parallelism. They've both won tournaments.

quote:

And now each man stepped forward and shot in turn; but though each shot well, Little John was the best of all, for three times he struck the clout, and once only the length of a barleycorn from the center. "Hey for the tall archer!" shouted the crowd, and some among them shouted, "Hey for Reynold Greenleaf!" for this was the name that Little John had called himself that day.

Then the Sheriff stepped down from the raised seat and came to where the archers stood, while all doffed their caps that saw him coming. He looked keenly at Little John but did not know him, though he said, after a while, "How now, good fellow, methinks there is that about thy face that I have seen erewhile."

"Mayhap it may be so," quoth Little John, "for often have I seen Your Worship." And, as he spoke, he looked steadily into the Sheriff's eyes so that the latter did not suspect who he was.

"A brave blade art thou, good friend," said the Sheriff, "and I hear that thou hast well upheld the skill of Nottinghamshire against that of Lincoln this day. What may be thy name, good fellow?"

"Men do call me Reynold Greenleaf, Your Worship," said Little John; and the old ballad that tells of this, adds, "So, in truth, was he a green leaf, but of what manner of tree the Sheriff wotted not."

"Now, Reynold Greenleaf," quoth the Sheriff, "thou art the fairest hand at the longbow that mine eyes ever beheld, next to that false knave, Robin Hood, from whose wiles Heaven forfend me! Wilt thou join my service, good fellow? Thou shalt be paid right well, for three suits of clothes shalt thou have a year, with good food and as much ale as thou canst drink; and, besides this, I will pay thee forty marks each Michaelmastide."

"Then here stand I a free man, and right gladly will I enter thy household," said Little John, for he thought he might find some merry jest, should he enter the Sheriff's service.

"Fairly hast thou won the fat steers," said the Sheriff, "and hereunto I will add a butt of good March beer, for joy of having gotten such a man; for, I wot, thou shootest as fair a shaft as Robin Hood himself."

"Then," said Little John, "for joy of having gotten myself into thy service, I will give fat steers and brown ale to all these good folk, to make them merry withal." At this arose a great shout, many casting their caps aloft, for joy of the gift.

Then some built great fires and roasted the steers, and others broached the butt of ale, with which all made themselves merry. Then, when they had eaten and drunk as much as they could, and when the day faded and the great moon arose, all red and round, over the spires and towers of Nottingham Town, they joined hands and danced around the fires, to the music of bagpipes and harps. But long before this merrymaking had begun, the Sheriff and his new servant Reynold Greenleaf were in the Castle of Nottingham.

And he has Little John win an archery competition also, just for kicks, he's still a Merry Man so of course he can outshoot any mere Sheriff's man. Next chapter: hijinks ensue!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 11, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The descriptions of places are really great; they just make me want to sit down under yon greenwood tree and watch merry folk pass by.
Okay, that might be just reading it while at work.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I will always love a description or depiction of a good fair. My childhood summers were often spent traveling to renaissance or music festivals in my area. As boothies, even, my parents did psychic readings. Although me being like 8, I generally just wandered around (Usually ending up in the sound booth or watching the blacksmith or SCA practice), although sometimes I had my own business: Selling hand-tamed feral kittens. Fond memories of miniature catapults and craft-your-own-souvenir booths and half a cantaloupe with a scoop of ice cream in the middle. And Puff the Magic Dragon. For some reason, probably just low variety in those willing to work fairs up here, every fair had at least one performance by this folk duo that would always do a sing-along of Puff the Magic Dragon.

As far as competitions go, at the ren fairs there was usually a knife or axe-throwing act that would challenge people in the audience to best his accuracy. Sometimes you got someone pretty good at knife throwing up there. There was also a comedy chainsaw act I recall that would have a competition to see who could saw the most thin slices off a log in a set time. Although I can't remember if that was an internal contest or audience participation.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
What exactly does Little John do in the Sheriff's service? Since the historical Sheriff was an extortionate jerk, I'd think any principled man would avoid working for him; let alone one who's supposed to be on the other side. And what was Robin's response? Did Little John run into some of his old colleagues at the blue Boar and they go "Man, WTF?"

Also, why did the Sheriff follow Robin Hood into Sherwood Forest alone, carrying a lot of money? Even if he was greedy enough to go into his enemies' territory, I'd think he'd have brought an escort. (Not that it would have done him much good.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cobalt-60 posted:

Also, why did the Sheriff follow Robin Hood into Sherwood Forest alone, carrying a lot of money? Even if he was greedy enough to go into his enemies' territory, I'd think he'd have brought an escort. (Not that it would have done him much good.)

Well, they don't call him "Sly Sheriff of Nottingham", right?

Cobalt-60 posted:

What exactly does Little John do in the Sheriff's service? Since the historical Sheriff was an extortionate jerk, I'd think any principled man would avoid working for him; let alone one who's supposed to be on the other side. And what was Robin's response? Did Little John run into some of his old colleagues at the blue Boar and they go "Man, WTF?"

anilEhilated posted:

The descriptions of places are really great; they just make me want to sit down under yon greenwood tree and watch merry folk pass by.
Okay, that might be just reading it while at work.

And these bring us to the next section! If you've ever had a job where one day you just wake up and go "You know what, I'm out!" . . . .

quote:

I. How Little John Lived at the Sheriff's

THUS LITTLE JOHN entered into the Sheriff's service and found the life he led there easy enough, for the Sheriff made him his right-hand man and held him in great favor. He sat nigh the Sheriff at meat, and he ran beside his horse when he went a-hunting; so that, what with hunting and hawking a little, and eating rich dishes and drinking good sack, and sleeping until late hours in the morning, he grew as fat as a stall-fed ox. Thus things floated easily along with the tide, until one day when the Sheriff went a-hunting, there happened that which broke the smooth surface of things.

This morning the Sheriff and many of his men set forth to meet certain lords, to go a-hunting. He looked all about him for his good man, Reynold Greenleaf, but, not finding him, was vexed, for he wished to show Little John's skill to his noble friends. As for Little John, he lay abed, snoring lustily, till the sun was high in the heavens. At last he opened his eyes and looked about him but did not move to arise. Brightly shone the sun in at the window, and all the air was sweet with the scent of woodbine that hung in sprays about the wall without, for the cold winter was past and spring was come again, and Little John lay still, thinking how sweet was everything on this fair morn. Just then he heard, faint and far away, a distant bugle note sounding thin and clear. The sound was small, but, like a little pebble dropped into a glassy fountain, it broke all the smooth surface of his thoughts, until his whole soul was filled with disturbance. His spirit seemed to awaken from its sluggishness, and his memory brought back to him all the merry greenwood life—how the birds were singing blithely there this bright morning, and how his loved companions and friends were feasting and making merry, or perhaps talking of him with sober speech; for when he first entered the Sheriff's service he did so in jest; but the hearthstone was warm during the winter, and the fare was full, and so he had abided, putting off from day to day his going back to Sherwood, until six long months had passed. But now he thought of his good master and of Will Stutely, whom he loved better than anyone in all the world, and of young David of Doncaster, whom he had trained so well in all manly sports, till there came over his heart a great and bitter longing for them all, so that his eyes filled with tears. Then he said aloud, "Here I grow fat like a stall-fed ox and all my manliness departeth from me while I become a sluggard and dolt. But I will arouse me and go back to mine own dear friends once more, and never will I leave them again till life doth leave my lips." So saying, he leaped from bed, for he hated his sluggishness now.

What does Little John do at the Sheriff's? He gets faaaaat

Most of the above paragraph, again, is pure Pyle; the original Gest is just

quote:

It fell upon a Wednesday
The sheriff on hunting was gone,
And Little John lay in his bed,
And was forgot at home.

Therefore he was fasting
Till it was past the noon;

So Pyle is adding significantly to Little John's character to make this all more believable and answer the obvious questions. LJ signs up as a prank, bro, but as pranks often do, it turns real, in part because it's winter and living the sweet life as the Sheriff's right hand man is a pretty good gig.

Unfortunately, though, holding down a job means you have to get up on time in the morning, and sometimes that suuucks.

quote:

When he came downstairs he saw the Steward standing near the pantry door—a great, fat man, with a huge bundle of keys hanging to his girdle. Then Little John said, "Ho, Master Steward, a hungry man am I, for nought have I had for all this blessed morn. Therefore, give me to eat."

Then the Steward looked grimly at him and rattled the keys in his girdle, for he hated Little John because he had found favor with the Sheriff. "So, Master Reynold Greenleaf, thou art anhungered, art thou?" quoth he. "But, fair youth, if thou livest long enough, thou wilt find that he who getteth overmuch sleep for an idle head goeth with an empty stomach. For what sayeth the old saw, Master Greenleaf? Is it not 'The late fowl findeth but ill faring'?"

"Now, thou great purse of fat!" cried Little John, "I ask thee not for fool's wisdom, but for bread and meat. Who art thou, that thou shouldst deny me to eat? By Saint Dunstan, thou hadst best tell me where my breakfast is, if thou wouldst save broken bones!"

"Thy breakfast, Master Fireblaze, is in the pantry," answered the Steward.

"Then fetch it hither!" cried Little John, who waxed angry by this time.

"Go thou and fetch it thine own self," quoth the Steward. "Am I thy slave, to fetch and carry for thee?"

"I say, go thou, bring it me!"

"I say, go thou, fetch it for thyself!"

"Ay, marry, that will I, right quickly!" quoth Little John in a rage. And, so saying, he strode to the pantry and tried to open the door but found it locked, whereat the Steward laughed and rattled his keys. Then the wrath of Little John boiled over, and, lifting his clenched fist, he smote the pantry door, bursting out three panels and making so large an opening that he could easily stoop and walk through it.

When the Steward saw what was done, he waxed mad with rage; and, as Little John stooped to look within the pantry, he seized him from behind by the nape of the neck, pinching him sorely and smiting him over the head with his keys till the yeoman's ears rang again. At this Little John turned upon the Steward and smote him such a buffet that the fat man fell to the floor and lay there as though he would never move again. "There," quoth Little John, "think well of that stroke and never keep a good breakfast from a hungry man again."

The Steward is a wimpy little bureaucrat who keeps good men from their breakfast -- the worst sin.

Keep in mind, though, that meals in medieval households were communal. Everyone's supposed to show up when the Master of the House eats -- that is, in this case, the Sheriff. Since Little John slept through breakfast entirely, and the Sheriff has now gone for the day, by rights and custom the Steward is correct here and Little John has missed his chance at breakfast. (see, e.g., https://oakden.co.uk/a-medieval-feast-menus-etiquette/2/ )

But Little John is Chaotic Good: not for him, the rules that bar a lusty yoeman from his feeding.

quote:

So saying, he crept into the pantry and looked about him to see if he could find something to appease his hunger. He saw a great venison pasty and two roasted capons, beside which was a platter of plover's eggs; moreover, there was a flask of sack and one of canary—a sweet sight to a hungry man. These he took down from the shelves and placed upon a sideboard, and prepared to make himself merry.

Now the Cook, in the kitchen across the courtyard, heard the loud talking between Little John and the Steward, and also the blow that Little John struck the other, so he came running across the court and up the stairway to where the Steward's pantry was, bearing in his hands the spit with the roast still upon it. Meanwhile the Steward had gathered his wits about him and risen to his feet, so that when the Cook came to the Steward's pantry he saw him glowering through the broken door at Little John, who was making ready for a good repast, as one dog glowers at another that has a bone. When the Steward saw the Cook, he came to him, and, putting one arm over his shoulder, "Alas, sweet friend!" quoth he—for the Cook was a tall, stout man—"seest thou what that vile knave Reynold Greenleaf hath done? He hath broken in upon our master's goods, and hath smitten me a buffet upon the ear, so that I thought I was dead. Good Cook, I love thee well, and thou shalt have a good pottle of our master's best wine every day, for thou art an old and faithful servant. Also, good Cook, I have ten shillings that I mean to give as a gift to thee. But hatest thou not to see a vile upstart like this Reynold Greenleaf taking it upon him so bravely?"

"Ay, marry, that do I," quoth the Cook boldly, for he liked the Steward because of his talk of the wine and of the ten shillings. "Get thee gone straightway to thy room, and I will bring out this knave by his ears." So saying, he laid aside his spit and drew the sword that hung by his side; whereupon the Steward left as quickly as he could, for he hated the sight of naked steel.

Then the Cook walked straightway to the broken pantry door, through which he saw Little John tucking a napkin beneath his chin and preparing to make himself merry.

"Why, how now, Reynold Greenleaf?" said the Cook, "thou art no better than a thief, I wot. Come thou straight forth, man, or I will carve thee as I would carve a sucking pig."

"Nay, good Cook, bear thou thyself more seemingly, or else I will come forth to thy dole. At most times I am as a yearling lamb, but when one cometh between me and my meat, I am a raging lion, as it were."

"Lion or no lion," quoth the valorous Cook, "come thou straight forth, else thou art a coward heart as well as a knavish thief."

"Ha!" cried Little John, "coward's name have I never had; so, look to thyself, good Cook, for I come forth straight, the roaring lion I did speak of but now."

Then he, too, drew his sword and came out of the pantry; then, putting themselves into position, they came slowly together, with grim and angry looks; but suddenly Little John lowered his point. "Hold, good Cook!" said he. "Now, I bethink me it were ill of us to fight with good victuals standing so nigh, and such a feast as would befit two stout fellows such as we are. Marry, good friend, I think we should enjoy this fair feast ere we fight. What sayest thou, jolly Cook?"

At this speech the Cook looked up and down, scratching his head in doubt, for he loved good feasting. At last he drew a long breath and said to Little John, "Well, good friend, I like thy plan right well; so, pretty boy, say I, let us feast, with all my heart, for one of us may sup in Paradise before nightfall."

So each thrust his sword back into the scabbard and entered the pantry. Then, after they had seated themselves, Little John drew his dagger and thrust it into the pie. "A hungry man must be fed," quoth he, "so, sweet chuck, I help myself without leave." But the Cook did not lag far behind, for straightway his hands also were deeply thrust within the goodly pasty. After this, neither of them spoke further, but used their teeth to better purpose. But though neither spoke, they looked at one another, each thinking within himself that he had never seen a more lusty fellow than the one across the board.

At last, after a long time had passed, the Cook drew a full, deep breath, as though of much regret, and wiped his hands upon the napkin, for he could eat no more. Little John, also, had enough, for he pushed the pasty aside, as though he would say, "I want thee by me no more, good friend." Then he took the pottle of sack, and said he, "Now, good fellow, I swear by all that is bright, that thou art the stoutest companion at eating that ever I had. Lo! I drink thy health." So saying, he clapped the flask to his lips and cast his eyes aloft, while the good wine flooded his throat. Then he passed the pottle to the Cook, who also said, "Lo, I drink thy health, sweet fellow!" Nor was he behind Little John in drinking any more than in eating.

Sack, Malmsey, and Canary were wines from the Canary Islands; they don't start being imported to Europe until the 1500's or so from what I can tell. "Sack" specifically is fortified wine, like modern sherry -- think Amontillado, or Courvoisier.

"Capons" are castrated male chickens specifically fattened for eating:

quote:

Humankind has been eating chicken for a long time—at least since 4000 BC in Asia—but the capon’s history is a bit murkier. It seems the Romans were the first to castrate a young male chicken and then fatten it, when a law was passed during a period of drought forbidding the fattening of hens, as it was deemed a waste of precious grain. Wily breeders skirted the letter of the law by instead castrating roosters, and fattening them for sale. The name “capon” comes from the Latin “capo,” meaning “cut.” Through the Middle Ages, capons were especially popular with the clergy and kings, and thus popularized throughout Europe, where capon was stuffed, roasted, stewed and baked into pies. In present-day France and Italy, capons are traditionally served at Christmas.

https://www.dartagnan.com/what-is-a-capon-how-to-cook.html

The venison "pasty" is a meat pie. Americans don't really eat meat pies any more, except for the Chicken Pot Pie, but here's a recipe for a venison pasty (that's "paaah-sty" with a long a).

After the eatin', of course, comes the singin':

quote:

"Now," quoth Little John, "thy voice is right round and sweet, jolly lad. I doubt not thou canst sing a ballad most blithely; canst thou not?"

"Truly, I have trolled one now and then," quoth the Cook, "yet I would not sing alone."

"Nay, truly," said Little John, "that were but ill courtesy. Strike up thy ditty, and I will afterward sing one to match it, if I can.

"So be it, pretty boy," quoth the Cook. "And hast thou e'er heard the song of the Deserted Shepherdess?"

"Truly, I know not," answered Little John, "but sing thou and let me hear."

Then the Cook took another draught from the pottle, and, clearing his throat, sang right sweetly:

THE SONG OF THE DESERTED SHEPHERDESS

"In Lententime, when leaves wax green,
And pretty birds begin to mate,
When lark cloth sing, and thrush, I ween,
And stockdove cooeth soon and late,
Fair Phillis sat beside a stone,
And thus I heard her make her moan:
'O willow, willow, willow, willow!
I'll take me of thy branches fair
And twine a wreath to deck my hair.

"'The thrush hath taken him a she,
The robin, too, and eke the dove;
My Robin hath deserted me,
And left me for another love.
So here, by brookside, all alone,
I sit me down and make my moan.
O willow, willow, willow, willow!
I'll take me of thy branches fair
And twine a wreath to deck my hair.'

"But ne'er came herring from the sea,
But good as he were in the tide;
Young Corydon came o'er the lea,
And sat him Phillis down beside.
So, presently, she changed her tone,
And 'gan to cease her from her moan,
'O willow, willow, willow, willow!
Thou mayst e'en keep thy garlands fair,
I want them not to deck my hair.'"

"Now, by my faith," cried Little John, "that same is a right good song, and hath truth in it, also."

"Glad am I thou likest it, sweet lad," said the Cook. "Now sing thou one also, for ne'er should a man be merry alone, or sing and list not."

"Then I will sing thee a song of a right good knight of Arthur's court, and how he cured his heart's wound without running upon the dart again, as did thy Phillis; for I wot she did but cure one smart by giving herself another. So, list thou while I sing:

THE GOOD KNIGHT AND HIS LOVE

"When Arthur, King, did rule this land,
A goodly king was he,
And had he of stout knights a band
Of merry company.

"Among them all, both great and small,
A good stout knight was there,
A lusty childe, and eke a tall,
That loved a lady fair.

"But nought would she to do with he,
But turned her face away;
So gat he gone to far countrye,
And left that lady gay.

"There all alone he made his moan,
And eke did sob and sigh,
And weep till it would move a stone,
And he was like to die.

"But still his heart did feel the smart,
And eke the dire distress,
And rather grew his pain more sharp
As grew his body less.

"Then gat he back where was good sack
And merry com panye,
And soon did cease to cry 'Alack!'
When blithe and gay was he.

"From which I hold, and feel full bold
To say, and eke believe,
That gin the belly go not cold
The heart will cease to grieve."

"Now, by my faith," cried the Cook, as he rattled the pottle against the sideboard, "I like that same song hugely, and eke the motive of it, which lieth like a sweet kernel in a hazelnut"

"Now thou art a man of shrewd opinions," quoth Little John, "and I love thee truly as thou wert my brother."

"And I love thee, too. But the day draweth on, and I have my cooking to do ere our master cometh home; so let us e'en go and settle this brave fight we have in hand."

"Ay, marry," quoth Little John, "and that right speedily. Never have I been more laggard in fighting than in eating and drinking. So come thou straight forth into the passageway, where there is good room to swing a sword, and I will try to serve thee."

I can't find originals in google for either of these songs beyond Pyle, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. Still, a stout yoeman's gotta do what a stout yoeman's gotta do, and they said they were gonna fight, so, I mean, wouldn't want to be unmanly

quote:

Then they both stepped forth into the broad passage that led to the Steward's pantry, where each man drew his sword again and without more ado fell upon the other as though he would hew his fellow limb from limb. Then their swords clashed upon one another with great din, and sparks flew from each blow in showers. So they fought up and down the hall for an hour and more, neither striking the other a blow, though they strove their best to do so; for both were skillful at the fence; so nothing came of all their labor. Ever and anon they rested, panting; then, after getting their wind, at it they would go again more fiercely than ever. At last Little John cried aloud, "Hold, good Cook!" whereupon each rested upon his sword, panting.

"Now will I make my vow," quoth Little John, "thou art the very best swordsman that ever mine eyes beheld. Truly, I had thought to carve thee ere now."

"And I had thought to do the same by thee," quoth the Cook, "but I have missed the mark somehow."

"Now I have been thinking within myself," quoth Little John, "what we are fighting for; but albeit I do not rightly know."

"Why, no more do I," said the Cook. "I bear no love for that pursy Steward, but I thought that we had engaged to fight with one another and that it must be done."

"Now," quoth Little John, "it doth seem to me that instead of striving to cut one another's throats, it were better for us to be boon companions. What sayst thou, jolly Cook, wilt thou go with me to Sherwood Forest and join with Robin Hood's band? Thou shalt live a merry life within the woodlands, and sevenscore good companions shalt thou have, one of whom is mine own self. Thou shalt have three suits of Lincoln green each year, and forty marks in pay."

"Now, thou art a man after mine own heart!" cried the Cook right heartily, "and, as thou speakest of it, that is the very service for me. I will go with thee, and that right gladly. Give me thy palm, sweet fellow, and I will be thine own companion from henceforth. What may be thy name, lad?"

"Men do call me Little John, good fellow."

"How? And art thou indeed Little John, and Robin Hood's own right-hand man? Many a time and oft I heard of thee, but never did I hope to set eyes upon thee. And thou art indeed the famous Little John!" And the Cook seemed lost in amazement, and looked upon his companion with open eyes.

"I am Little John, indeed, and I will bring to Robin Hood this day a right stout fellow to join his merry band. But ere we go, good friend, it seemeth to me to be a vast pity that, as we have had so much of the Sheriff's food, we should not also carry off some of his silver plate to Robin Hood, as a present from his worship."

"Ay, marry is it," said the Cook. And so they began hunting about, and took as much silver as they could lay hands upon, clapping it into a bag, and when they had filled the sack they set forth to Sherwood Forest.

Plunging into the woods, they came at last to the greenwood tree, where they found Robin Hood and threescore of his merry men lying upon the fresh green grass. When Robin and his men saw who it was that came, they leaped to their feet. "Now welcome!" cried Robin Hood. "Now welcome, Little John! For long hath it been since we have heard from thee, though we all knew that thou hadst joined the Sheriff's service. And how hast thou fared all these long days?"

"Right merrily have I lived at the Lord Sheriff's," answered Little John, "and I have come straight thence. See, good master! I have brought thee his cook, and even his silver plate." Thereupon he told Robin Hood and his merry men that were there, all that had befallen him since he had left them to go to the Fair at Nottingham Town. Then all shouted with laughter, except Robin Hood; but he looked grave.

"Nay, Little John," said he, "thou art a brave blade and a trusty fellow. I am glad thou hast brought thyself back to us, and with such a good companion as the Cook, whom we all welcome to Sherwood. But I like not so well that thou hast stolen the Sheriff's plate like some paltry thief. The Sheriff hath been punished by us, and hath lost three hundred pounds, even as he sought to despoil another; but he hath done nought that we should steal his household plate from him."

Though Little John was vexed with this, he strove to pass it off with a jest. "Nay, good master," quoth he, "if thou thinkest the Sheriff gave us not the plate, I will fetch him, that he may tell us with his own lips he giveth it all to us." So saying he leaped to his feet, and was gone before Robin could call him back.

Of course, the Cook and Little John being bros, they swing their swords for a full hour but then realize, hey, we're bros! Let's go be forest bros instead!

Pyle is reversing the order of everything here; in the Gest, the Cook and LJ fight first, then chow down, and nobody sings. Pyle's order is a little more comical and definitely more bro-tastic.

And Little John brings the Sheriff's plate back, and the band thinks it's funny . . . but Robin doesn't. This sequence -- with Robin saying "hey, we already burned the Sheriff once, the Sheriff isn't that bad a guy, this is overdoing it", is entirely absent from the ballad and Pyle's addition; in the Gest, LJ just gets the plate and then brings in the Sheriff also because, hell, it's funny.

Either way, though, the Sheriff gets another visit to Robin's Forest Inn -- Robin's not going to stand in the way of a good joke!

quote:

Little John ran for full five miles till he came to where the Sheriff of Nottingham and a gay company were hunting near the forest. When Little John came to the Sheriff he doffed his cap and bent his knee. "God save thee, good master," quoth he.

"Why, Reynold Greenleaf!" cried the Sheriff, "whence comest thou and where hast thou been?"

"I have been in the forest," answered Little John, speaking amazedly, "and there I saw a sight such as ne'er before man's eyes beheld! Yonder I saw a young hart all in green from top to toe, and about him was a herd of threescore deer, and they, too, were all of green from head to foot. Yet I dared not shoot, good master, for fear lest they should slay me."

"Why, how now, Reynold Greenleaf," cried the Sheriff, "art thou dreaming or art thou mad, that thou dost bring me such, a tale?"

"Nay, I am not dreaming nor am I mad," said Little John, "and if thou wilt come with me, I will show thee this fair sight, for I have seen it with mine own eyes. But thou must come alone, good master, lest the others frighten them and they get away."

So the party all rode forward, and Little John led them downward into the forest.

"Now, good master," quoth he at last, "we are nigh where I saw this herd."

Then the Sheriff descended from his horse and bade them wait for him until he should return; and Little John led him forward through a close copse until suddenly they came to a great open glade, at the end of which Robin Hood sat beneath the shade of the great oak tree, with his merry men all about him. "See, good Master Sheriff," quoth Little John, "yonder is the hart of which I spake to thee."

At this the Sheriff turned to Little John and said bitterly, "Long ago I thought I remembered thy face, but now I know thee. Woe betide thee, Little John, for thou hast betrayed me this day."

In the meantime Robin Hood had come to them. "Now welcome, Master Sheriff," said he. "Hast thou come today to take another feast with me?"

"Nay, Heaven forbid!" said the Sheriff in tones of deep earnest. "I care for no feast and have no hunger today."

"Nevertheless," quoth Robin, "if thou hast no hunger, maybe thou hast thirst, and well I know thou wilt take a cup of sack with me. But I am grieved that thou wilt not feast with me, for thou couldst have victuals to thy liking, for there stands thy Cook."

Then he led the Sheriff, willy-nilly, to the seat he knew so well beneath the greenwood tree.

"Ho, lads!" cried Robin, "fill our good friend the Sheriff a right brimming cup of sack and fetch it hither, for he is faint and weary."

Then one of the band brought the Sheriff a cup of sack, bowing low as he handed it to him; but the Sheriff could not touch the wine, for he saw it served in one of his own silver flagons, on one of his own silver plates.

"How now," quoth Robin, "dost thou not like our new silver service? We have gotten a bag of it this day." So saying, he held up the sack of silver that Little John and the Cook had brought with them.

Then the Sheriff's heart was bitter within him; but, not daring to say anything, he only gazed upon the ground. Robin looked keenly at him for a time before he spoke again. Then said he, "Now, Master Sheriff, the last time thou camest to Sherwood Forest thou didst come seeking to despoil a poor spendthrift, and thou wert despoiled thine own self; but now thou comest seeking to do no harm, nor do I know that thou hast despoiled any man. I take my tithes from fat priests and lordly squires, to help those that they despoil and to raise up those that they bow down; but I know not that thou hast tenants of thine own whom thou hast wronged in any way. Therefore, take thou thine own again, nor will I dispossess thee today of so much as one farthing. Come with me, and I will lead thee from the forest back to thine own party again."

Then, slinging the bag upon his shoulder, he turned away, the Sheriff following him, all too perplexed in mind to speak. So they went forward until they came to within a furlong of the spot where the Sheriff's companions were waiting for him. Then Robin Hood gave the sack of silver back to the Sheriff. "Take thou thine own again," he said, "and hearken to me, good Sheriff, take thou a piece of advice with it. Try thy servants well ere thou dost engage them again so readily." Then, turning, he left the other standing bewildered, with the sack in his hands.

The company that waited for the Sheriff were all amazed to see him come out of the forest bearing a heavy sack upon his shoulders; but though they questioned him, he answered never a word, acting like one who walks in a dream. Without a word, he placed the bag across his nag's back and then, mounting, rode away, all following him; but all the time there was a great turmoil of thoughts within his head, tumbling one over the other. And thus ends the merry tale of Little John and how he entered the Sheriff's service.

The sequence with the Sheriff getting served by his own cook with his own goblet is in the ballad, but of course in the original, Robin's men keep the silver instead of giving it back; they do let the Sheriff go, but they make him promise to always help out Robin's men from now on and never prosecute them. And the moral about hiring servants is new with Pyle also.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 11, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Making the sheriff promise not to prosecute them is a poor deal. You get some minor embarrassment from the Sheriff as he says it, but he'd quickly realize that hey, they're outlaws, you don't have to keep your word to an outlaw. Stretch their necks quick enough and they won't even be able to tell anyone you broke your oath.

On the topic of outlaws, up through at least the 14th century, outlaws who refused a summons to the king's justice would be labeled Caput lupinum, "wearing the head of a wolf." ""Wolfshead!" shall be cried against him, for that a wolf is a beast hated of all folk; and from that time forward it is lawful for anyone to slay him like a wolf."

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The idea of "well, we promised to swordfight, but this is getting silly. Want a job?" is good fun. Pyle's moralizing is pretty evident here, with Robin declaring that the Sheriff had done nothing to deserve being robbed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I also really love "thou great purse of fat"

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Eh, this is pre-Modernist English Literature, there's not even an attempt at realism.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Come on man you didn't even include the illustration for this part! It's so good!

If you're wondering why they hold their left hands up like that, that's how foil fencers stood in 1883. It doesn't make any sense for a story set in 1100 because the fencing lunge won't get invented for 400 years, but who cares it looks like a rad swordfight scene. You can tell Pyle knew how fencing is supposed to look like. Compare Little John's parry above to this dude in some kind of military fencing exhibition from 1873:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Siivola posted:

If you're wondering why they hold their left hands up like that, that's how foil fencers stood in 1883. It doesn't make any sense for a story set in 1100 because the fencing lunge won't get invented for 400 years, but who cares it looks like a rad swordfight scene. You can tell Pyle knew how fencing is supposed to look like. Compare Little John's parry above to this dude in some kind of military fencing exhibition from 1873:

This sort of thing bothers me if I let it. On the one hand, historical accuracy should be portrayed as closely as possible, it's absurd for Arthurian knights to be going around on horseback in full plate with longswords and lances when Camelot, if it even existed, was sometime around the fall of Rome (When both horses and swords were tiny due to lack of husbandry and metalworking knowledge respectively). On the other hand, it's hard to get any information whatsoever about fighting styles back then, all the European martial arts manuals I'm finding with a quick scan of Wikipedia date from the 1400s or later, with only a few as early as the 1300s.

On the gripping hand, it is hella rad. I honestly wouldn't be completely opposed to a historical European action film where the brawling style is just recognizably Krav Maga or something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dareon posted:

This sort of thing bothers me if I let it. On the one hand, historical accuracy should be portrayed as closely as possible, it's absurd for Arthurian knights to be going around on horseback in full plate with longswords and lances when Camelot, if it even existed, was sometime around the fall of Rome (When both horses and swords were tiny due to lack of husbandry and metalworking knowledge respectively). On the other hand, it's hard to get any information whatsoever about fighting styles back then, all the European martial arts manuals I'm finding with a quick scan of Wikipedia date from the 1400s or later, with only a few as early as the 1300s.

And to be fair to Pyle, this kind of fencing would have been the most accurate source he had available to him at the time; I don't believe things like Hans Talhoffer's Fight Book were known or available until fairly recently, especially in America.

And, after all, we're in the land of Fancy; where every ballad from 1200 to 1700 is happening at once. There's being accurate to the nominal setting (1180 or so) and there's being accurate to the contemporary setting of the ballad sources (that is, 1400 to 1600 ish). Arthur wears full plate and rides horseback because most modern authors are following Mallory, who wrote in the 1400's and gave everyone high medieval equipage; similarly here, I think Pyle has a decent defense in that he's keeping everything roughly appropriate for the dating of his source material if not appropriate for the actual dates in his text.

After we've gone through the whole book I'll make a detailed post on "Historical Robin" to help close out the thread, it's a more complex topic than I'd expected.

Dareon posted:

On the gripping hand, it is hella rad. I honestly wouldn't be completely opposed to a historical European action film where the brawling style is just recognizably Krav Maga or something.

Check out Brotherhood of the Wolf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-So-yYHxMY&t=62s

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 12, 2020

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

So Pyle is adding significantly to Little John's character to make this all more believable and answer the obvious questions. LJ signs up as a prank, bro, but as pranks often do, it turns real, in part because it's winter and living the sweet life as the Sheriff's right hand man is a pretty good gig.
Granted, living under a roof instead of in the forest would be pretty sweet. (Even in the land of Fancy, camping out in the winter sucks.) And he got out before he had to do any part of the protection racket. Although a ballad where the Sheriff sends his brawny "right hand man" into Sherwood with orders to take Robin Hood dead or alive would be great.

quote:

The Steward is a wimpy little bureaucrat who keeps good men from their breakfast -- the worst sin.
But Little John is Chaotic Good: not for him, the rules that bar a lusty yoeman from his feeding.
"Never keep a good breakfast from a hungry man again." Another good line from Little John. I have used that one, albeit notwith violence.

quote:

Sack, Malmsey, and Canary were wines from the Canary Islands; they don't start being imported to Europe until the 1500's or so from what I can tell. "Sack" specifically is fortified wine, like modern sherry -- think Amontillado, or Courvoisier.
If you can afford to be drinking (anachronistically imported) wine every day, you're pretty drat rich.

quote:

"Capons" are castrated male chickens specifically fattened for eating:
As opposed to suffocating all the male chicks. Guess the economics don't work out for large-scale production.

quote:

The venison "pasty" is a meat pie. Americans don't really eat meat pies any more, except for the Chicken Pot Pie, but here's a recipe for a venison pasty (that's "paaah-sty" with a long a).
They do in the U.P. I miss those... Can't stand most microwavable chicken pot pies.
My mother makes awesome chicken pasties/turnovers/pies, although her crust is more biscuit than pastry. I should make those.

For someone who claims to hate Robin Hood, the Sheriff keeps going into Sherwood Forest alone quite often.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cobalt-60 posted:

For someone who claims to hate Robin Hood, the Sheriff keeps going into Sherwood Forest alone quite often.
Well, he likes hunting and hawking. Also, he's not exactly smart which really isn't a surprise for a character that exists just so he can be pranked by the Merry Men.

Dumas (as well as most film adapations, methinks) turns him (along with the Bishop of Hereford) into a scheming villain, but from what I've read of Pyle so far, the Sheriff seems more of a bumbling bureaucrat. He's even introduced asking the King to help him do his King-given job.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Comically, I hadn't realized that there were performances of a lot of these ballads up on Youtube.

(These first two are kinda low-quality versions, just a guy in his living room):

A Gest of Robyn Hode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_FiUMJZvak

Robin's Progress to Nottingham:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqGVge_I4mQ

Robin Hood and Little John: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD4ICsY__cw

Robin Hood and Little John [remix]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhYSw67pdg

Robin Hood and the Tinker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6UJE6zjGwY

Robin Hood and the Butcher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGuo4MPpzA

Robin Rescuing Will Stutely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtxm9NN9KE

and (foreshadowing!) : Robin Hood and the Tanner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpG4bzdmyjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYmgFIvbdY0

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 12, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The next few episodes are basically a "getting the band back together" montage -- episode after episode that explain how the various famous members of the Merry Men join up.

The next of these in sequence is Arthur a Bland, the Tanner, famed subject of "Robin Hood and the Tanner," Child Ballad 126 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYmgFIvbdY0

Pyle transposes the fight and sets it between Arthur a Bland and Little John instead.

quote:

ONE FINE DAY, not long after Little John had left abiding with the Sheriff and had come back, with his worship's cook, to the merry greenwood, as has just been told, Robin Hood and a few chosen fellows of his band lay upon the soft sward beneath the greenwood tree where they dwelled. The day was warm and sultry, so that while most of the band were scattered through the forest upon this mission and upon that, these few stout fellows lay lazily beneath the shade of the tree, in the soft afternoon, passing jests among themselves and telling merry stories, with laughter and mirth.

All the air was laden with the bitter fragrance of the May, and all the bosky shades of the woodlands beyond rang with the sweet song of birds— the throstle cock, the cuckoo, and the wood pigeon—and with the song of birds mingled the cool sound of the gurgling brook that leaped out of the forest shades, and ran fretting amid its rough, gray stones across the sunlit open glade before the trysting tree. And a fair sight was that halfscore of tall, stout yeomen, all clad in Lincoln green, lying beneath the broad-spreading branches of the great oak tree, amid the quivering leaves of which the sunlight shivered and fell in dancing patches upon the grass.

Suddenly Robin Hood smote his knee.

"By Saint Dunstan," quoth he, "I had nigh forgot that quarter-day cometh on apace, and yet no cloth of Lincoln green in all our store. It must be looked to, and that in quick season. Come, busk thee, Little John! Stir those lazy bones of thine, for thou must get thee straightway to our good gossip, the draper Hugh Longshanks of Ancaster. Bid him send us straightway twentyscore yards of fair cloth of Lincoln green; and mayhap the journey may take some of the fat from off thy bones, that thou hast gotten from lazy living at our dear Sheriff's."

"Nay," muttered Little John (for he had heard so much upon this score that he was sore upon the point), "nay, truly, mayhap I have more flesh upon my joints than I once had, yet, flesh or no flesh, I doubt not that I could still hold my place and footing upon a narrow bridge against e'er a yeoman in Sherwood, or Nottinghamshire, for the matter of that, even though he had no more fat about his bones than thou hast, good master."

At this reply a great shout of laughter went up, and all looked at Robin Hood, for each man knew that Little John spake of a certain fight that happened between their master and himself, through which they first became acquainted.

"Nay," quoth Robin Hood, laughing louder than all. "Heaven forbid that I should doubt thee, for I care for no taste of thy staff myself, Little John. I must needs own that there are those of my band can handle a seven-foot staff more deftly than I; yet no man in all Nottinghamshire can draw gray goose shaft with my fingers. Nevertheless, a journey to Ancaster may not be ill for thee; so go thou, as I bid, and thou hadst best go this very evening, for since thou hast abided at the Sheriff's many know thy face, and if thou goest in broad daylight, thou mayst get thyself into a coil with some of his worship's men-at-arms. Bide thou here till I bring thee money to pay our good Hugh. I warrant he hath no better customers in all Nottinghamshire than we." So saying, Robin left them and entered the forest.

Not far from the trysting tree was a great rock in which a chamber had been hewn, the entrance being barred by a massive oaken door two palms'- breadth in thickness, studded about with spikes, and fastened with a great padlock. This was the treasure house of the band, and thither Robin Hood went and, unlocking the door, entered the chamber, from which he brought forth a bag of gold which he gave to Little John, to pay Hugh Longshanks withal, for the cloth of Lincoln green.

Then up got Little John, and, taking the bag of gold, which he thrust into his bosom, he strapped a girdle about his loins, took a stout pikestaff full seven feet long in his hand, and set forth upon his journey.

Someone has to go get all that cloth of Lincoln Green! And Little John has been lazing it at the Sheriff's so it's his job.

quote:

So he strode whistling along the leafy forest path that led to Fosse Way, turning neither to the right hand nor the left, until at last he came to where the path branched, leading on the one hand onward to Fosse Way, and on the other, as well Little John knew, to the merry Blue Boar Inn. Here Little John suddenly ceased whistling and stopped in the middle of the path. First he looked up and then he looked down, and then, tilting his cap over one eye, he slowly scratched the back part of his head. For thus it was: at the sight of these two roads, two voices began to alarum within him, the one crying, "There lies the road to the Blue Boar Inn, a can of brown October, and a merry night with sweet companions such as thou mayst find there"; the other, "There lies the way to Ancaster and the duty thou art sent upon." Now the first of these two voices was far the louder, for Little John had grown passing fond of good living through abiding at the Sheriff's house; so, presently, looking up into the blue sky, across which bright clouds were sailing like silver boats, and swallows skimming in circling flight, quoth he, "I fear me it will rain this evening, so I'll e'en stop at the Blue Boar till it passes by, for I know my good master would not have me wet to the skin." So, without more ado, off he strode down the path that lay the way of his likings. Now there was no sign of any foul weather, but when one wishes to do a thing, as Little John did, one finds no lack of reasons for the doing.

Four merry wags were at the Blue Boar Inn; a butcher, a beggar, and two barefoot friars. Little John heard them singing from afar, as he walked through the hush of the mellow twilight that was now falling over hill and dale. Right glad were they to welcome such a merry blade as Little John. Fresh cans of ale were brought, and with jest and song and merry tales the hours slipped away on fleeting wings. None thought of time or tide till the night was so far gone that Little John put by the thought of setting forth upon his journey again that night, and so bided at the Blue Boar Inn until the morrow.

Now it was an ill piece of luck for Little John that he left his duty for his pleasure, and he paid a great score for it, as we are all apt to do in the same case, as you shall see.

This whole sequence is of course an addition by Pyle, but it's perfectly well in character for Little John as he's been established so far (his defining character traits being that he is a) very large and b) not fond of doing his job).

Despite everyone living outdoors, this is the only mention of rain or clouds we'll get in the entire book, apart from the Preface announcing that in the land of Fancy, "no rain falls but what rolls off our backs like April showers off the backs of sleek drakes."

quote:

Up he rose at the dawn of the next day, and, taking his stout pikestaff in his hand, he set forth upon his journey once more, as though he would make up for lost time.

In the good town of Blyth there lived a stout tanner, celebrated far and near for feats of strength and many tough bouts at wrestling and the quarterstaff. For five years he had held the mid-country champion belt for wrestling, till the great Adam o' Lincoln cast him in the ring and broke one of his ribs; but at quarterstaff he had never yet met his match in all the country about. Besides all this, he dearly loved the longbow, and a sly jaunt in the forest when the moon was full and the dun deer in season; so that the King's rangers kept a shrewd eye upon him and his doings, for Arthur a Bland's house was apt to have aplenty of meat in it that was more like venison than the law allowed.

Now Arthur had been to Nottingham Town the day before Little John set forth on his errand, there to sell a halfscore of tanned cowhides. At the dawn of the same day that Little John left the inn, he started from Nottingham, homeward for Blyth. His way led, all in the dewy morn, past the verge of Sherwood Forest, where the birds were welcoming the lovely day with a great and merry jubilee. Across the Tanner's shoulders was slung his stout quarterstaff, ever near enough to him to be gripped quickly, and on his head was a cap of doubled cowhide, so tough that it could hardly be cloven even by a broadsword.

"Now," quoth Arthur a Bland to himself, when he had come to that part of the road that cut through a corner of the forest, "no doubt at this time of year the dun deer are coming from the forest depths nigher to the open meadow lands. Mayhap I may chance to catch a sight of the dainty brown darlings thus early in the morn." For there was nothing he loved better than to look upon a tripping herd of deer, even when he could not tickle their ribs with a clothyard shaft. Accordingly, quitting the path, he went peeping this way and that through the underbrush, spying now here and now there, with all the wiles of a master of woodcraft, and of one who had more than once donned a doublet of Lincoln green.

Now as Little John stepped blithely along, thinking of nothing but of such things as the sweetness of the hawthorn buds that bedecked the hedgerows, or gazing upward at the lark, that, springing from the dewy grass, hung aloft on quivering wings in the yellow sunlight, pouring forth its song that fell like a falling star from the sky, his luck led him away from the highway, not far from the spot where Arthur a Bland was peeping this way and that through the leaves of the thickets. Hearing a rustling of the branches, Little John stopped and presently caught sight of the brown cowhide cap of the Tanner moving among the bushes.

"I do much wonder," quoth Little John to himself, "what yon knave is after, that he should go thus peeping and peering about I verily believe that yon scurvy varlet is no better than a thief, and cometh here after our own and the good King's dun deer." For by much roving in the forest, Little John had come to look upon all the deer in Sherwood as belonging to Robin Hood and his band as much as to good King Harry. "Nay," quoth he again, after a time, "this matter must e'en be looked into." So, quitting the highroad, he also entered the thickets, and began spying around after stout Arthur a Bland.

So for a long time they both of them went hunting about, Little John after the Tanner, and the Tanner after the deer. At last Little John trod upon a stick, which snapped under his foot, whereupon, hearing the noise, the Tanner turned quickly and caught sight of the yeoman. Seeing that the Tanner had spied him out, Little John put a bold face upon the matter.

"Hilloa," quoth he, "what art thou doing here, thou naughty fellow? Who art thou that comest ranging Sherwood's paths? In very sooth thou hast an evil cast of countenance, and I do think, truly, that thou art no better than a thief, and comest after our good King's deer."

"Nay," quoth the Tanner boldly—for, though taken by surprise, he was not a man to be frightened by big words—"thou liest in thy teeth. I am no thief, but an honest craftsman. As for my countenance, it is what it is; and, for the matter of that, thine own is none too pretty, thou saucy fellow."

"Ha!" quoth Little John in a great loud voice, "wouldst thou give me backtalk? Now I have a great part of a mind to crack thy pate for thee. I would have thee know, fellow, that I am, as it were, one of the King's foresters. Leastwise," muttered he to himself, "I and my friends do take good care of our good sovereign's deer."

"I care not who thou art," answered the bold Tanner, "and unless thou hast many more of thy kind by thee, thou canst never make Arthur a Bland cry 'A mercy.'"

"Is it so?" cried Little John in a rage. "Now, by my faith, thou saucy rogue, thy tongue hath led thee into a pit thou wilt have a sorry time getting out of; for I will give thee such a drubbing as ne'er hast thou had in all thy life before. Take thy staff in thy hand, fellow, for I will not smite an unarmed man.

"Marry come up with a murrain!" cried the Tanner, for he, too, had talked himself into a fume. "Big words ne'er killed so much as a mouse. Who art thou that talkest so freely of cracking the head of Arthur a Bland? If I do not tan thy hide this day as ne'er I tanned a calf's hide in all my life before, split my staff into skewers for lamb's flesh and call me no more brave man! Now look to thyself, fellow!"

"Stay!" said Little John. "Let us first measure our cudgels. I do reckon my staff longer than thine, and I would not take vantage of thee by even so much as an inch."

"Nay, I pass not for length," answered the Tanner. "My staff is long enough to knock down a calf; so look to thyself, fellow, I say again."

Apart from substituting Little John for Robin, this exchange -- our hero calling himself a "forester," and offering to let Arthur pass due to having a slightly shorter staff -- are straight from the ballad text.

quote:

So, without more ado, each gripped his staff in the middle, and, with fell and angry looks, they came slowly together.

Now news had been brought to Robin Hood how that Little John, instead of doing his bidding, had passed by duty for pleasure, and so had stopped overnight with merry company at the Blue Boar Inn, instead of going straight to Ancaster. So, being vexed to his heart by this, he set forth at dawn of day to seek Little John at the Blue Boar, or at least to meet the yeoman on the way, and ease his heart of what he thought of the matter. As thus he strode along in anger, putting together the words he would use to chide Little John, he heard, of a sudden, loud and angry voices, as of men in a rage, passing fell words back and forth from one to the other. At this, Robin Hood stopped and listened. "Surely," quoth he to himself, "that is Little John's voice, and he is talking in anger also. Methinks the other is strange to my ears. Now Heaven forfend that my good trusty Little John should have fallen into the hands of the King's rangers. I must see to this matter, and that quickly."

Thus spoke Robin Hood to himself, all his anger passing away like a breath from the windowpane, at the thought that perhaps his trusty right-hand man was in some danger of his life. So cautiously he made his way through the thickets whence the voices came, and, pushing aside the leaves, peeped into the little open space where the two men, staff in hand, were coming slowly together.

"Ha!" quoth Robin to himself, "here is merry sport afoot. Now I would give three golden angels from my own pocket if yon stout fellow would give Little John a right sound drubbing! It would please me to see him well thumped for having failed in my bidding. I fear me, though, there is but poor chance of my seeing such a pleasant sight." So saying, he stretched himself at length upon the ground, that he might not only see the sport the better, but that he might enjoy the merry sight at his ease.

As you may have seen two dogs that think to fight, walking slowly round and round each other, neither cur wishing to begin the combat, so those two stout yeomen moved slowly around, each watching for a chance to take the other unaware, and so get in the first blow. At last Little John struck like a flash, and—"rap!"—the Tanner met the blow and turned it aside, and then smote back at Little John, who also turned the blow; and so this mighty battle began. Then up and down and back and forth they trod, the blows falling so thick and fast that, at a distance, one would have thought that half a score of men were fighting. Thus they fought for nigh a half an hour, until the ground was all plowed up with the digging of their heels, and their breathing grew labored like the ox in the furrow. But Little John suffered the most, for he had become unused to such stiff labor, and his joints were not as supple as they had been before he went to dwell with the Sheriff.

All this time Robin Hood lay beneath the bush, rejoicing at such a comely bout of quarterstaff. "By my faith!" quoth he to himself, "never had I thought to see Little John so evenly matched in all my life. Belike, though, he would have overcome yon fellow before this had he been in his former trim."

At last Little John saw his chance, and, throwing all the strength he felt going from him into one blow that might have felled an ox, he struck at the Tanner with might and main. And now did the Tanner's cowhide cap stand him in good stead, and but for it he might never have held staff in hand again. As it was, the blow he caught beside the head was so shrewd that it sent him staggering across the little glade, so that, if Little John had had the strength to follow up his vantage, it would have been ill for stout Arthur. But he regained himself quickly and, at arm's length, struck back a blow at Little John, and this time the stroke reached its mark, and down went Little John at full length, his cudgel flying from his hand as he fell. Then, raising his staff, stout Arthur dealt him another blow upon the ribs.

"Hold!" roared Little John. "Wouldst thou strike a man when he is down?"

"Ay, marry would I," quoth the Tanner, giving him another thwack with his staff.

"Stop!" roared Little John. "Help! Hold, I say! I yield me! I yield me, I say, good fellow!"

"Hast thou had enough?" asked the Tanner grimly, holding his staff aloft.

"Ay, marry, and more than enough."

"And thou dost own that I am the better man of the two?"

"Yea, truly, and a murrain seize thee!" said Little John, the first aloud and the last to his beard.

"Then thou mayst go thy ways; and thank thy patron saint that I am a merciful man," said the Tanner.

"A plague o' such mercy as thine!" said Little John, sitting up and feeling his ribs where the Tanner had cudgeled him. "I make my vow, my ribs feel as though every one of them were broken in twain. I tell thee, good fellow, I did think there was never a man in all Nottinghamshire could do to me what thou hast done this day."

"And so thought I, also," cried Robin Hood, bursting out of the thicket and shouting with laughter till the tears ran down his cheeks. "O man, man!" said he, as well as he could for his mirth, "'a didst go over like a bottle knocked from a wall. I did see the whole merry bout, and never did I think to see thee yield thyself so, hand and foot, to any man in all merry England. I was seeking thee, to chide thee for leaving my bidding undone; but thou hast been paid all I owed thee, full measure, pressed down and overflowing, by this good fellow. Marry, 'a did reach out his arm full length while thou stood gaping at him, and, with a pretty rap, tumbled thee over as never have I seen one tumbled before." So spoke bold Robin, and all the time Little John sat upon the ground, looking as though he had sour curds in his mouth.

The actual description of the fight here is mostly from Pyle also; in the ballad they just hit each other a few times, Robin eventually cries "hold" , therre a few jokes about tanning each other's hide, and that's it. Instead, here we get Little John's one and only loss at quarterstaff -- and he's got two excuses, one that he got fat at the Sheriff and another that the other guy was wearing leather armor on his head.

Still, he lost, and Robin saw, so you know he's gonna catch some grief over that one. Hence our implicit moral: do your assigned work, and don't get fat and lazy!

quote:

"What may be thy name, good fellow?" said Robin, next, turning to the Tanner.

"Men do call me Arthur a Bland," spoke up the Tanner boldly, "and now what may be thy name?"

"Ha, Arthur a Bland!" quoth Robin, "I have heard thy name before, good fellow. Thou didst break the crown of a friend of mine at the fair at Ely last October. The folk there call him Jock o' Nottingham; we call him Will Scathelock. This poor fellow whom thou hast so belabored is counted the best hand at the quarterstaff in all merry England. His name is Little John, and mine Robin Hood."

"How!" cried the Tanner, "art thou indeed the great Robin Hood, and is this the famous Little John? Marry, had I known who thou art, I would never have been so bold as to lift my hand against thee. Let me help thee to thy feet, good Master Little John, and let me brush the dust from off thy coat."

"Nay," quoth Little John testily, at the same time rising carefully, as though his bones had been made of glass, "I can help myself, good fellow, without thy aid; and let me tell thee, had it not been for that vile cowskin cap of thine, it would have been ill for thee this day."

At this Robin laughed again, and, turning to the Tanner, he said, "Wilt thou join my band, good Arthur? For I make my vow thou art one of the stoutest men that ever mine eyes beheld."

"Will I join thy band?" cried the Tanner joyfully. "Ay, marry, will I! Hey for a merry life!" cried he, leaping aloft and snapping his fingers, "and hey for the life I love! Away with tanbark and filthy vats and foul cowhides! I will follow thee to the ends of the earth, good master, and not a herd of dun deer in all the forest but shall know the sound of the twang of my bowstring."

"As for thee, Little John," said Robin, turning to him and laughing, "thou wilt start once more for Ancaster, and we will go part way with thee, for I will not have thee turn again to either the right hand or the left till thou hast fairly gotten away from Sherwood. There are other inns that thou knowest yet, hereabouts." Thereupon, leaving the thickets, they took once more to the highway and departed upon their business.

Tanning was a fairly dirty and unpleasant job even by medieval standards, so maybe it's no surprise good Arthur wants out.

It's interesting that Robin mentions Will Scathelock here, because we'll be meeting a slightly different version of Will in the next adventure. Onward!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 13, 2020

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

anilEhilated posted:

Well, he likes hunting and hawking. Also, he's not exactly smart which really isn't a surprise for a character that exists just so he can be pranked by the Merry Men.

Dumas (as well as most film adapations, methinks) turns him (along with the Bishop of Hereford) into a scheming villain, but from what I've read of Pyle so far, the Sheriff seems more of a bumbling bureaucrat. He's even introduced asking the King to help him do his King-given job.

I wonder if that's why the Errol Flynn movie shoves the Sheriff into the background and gives all the (competent) sneering evil to Basil Rathbone's Guy of Gisbourne.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

quote:

"Nay," quoth the Tinker—for, by roaming the country, he had learned what dogs were—

I keep chuckling at this line, it feels some passing understatement Twain would use.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Siivola posted:

I've read that one item considered representative of femininity was the sieve carried at the belt so that the woman of the household could strain any remaining soupy porridgey bits out upon serving (her being the one to pour and serve the beverages, thus offering hospitality, being an important aspect of her role in the household). I don't remember details like "where i read this" but all the sources on my shelf focus on pre-14th-century England and its northern French cultural sphere.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Robin Hood and Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet is one of the oldest members of Robin's band, present in the earliest ballads, and in a sense we've already met him, or a version of him -- Robin just mentioned Will Scathelock in the last story. "Scathelock", "Scarlock" and "Scarlet" were originally just different versions of the same character. He's probably the most frequently-named member of the band after Robin and Little John, showing up under one or another name in seven different Child ballads: Gest (Child 117), Robin Hood his Death (Child 120), Robin Hood and the Newly Revived (Child 128), "Robin Hood's Delight" (Child 136), "Robin Hood and the Curtal Friar" (Child 123), "Robin Hood and Guy of Gisbourne" (Child 118), and "Robin Hood and the Prince of Aragon" (Child 129). In some ballads, yet another version of the character shows up under the name Gandelyn or Gamble Gold (you may have heard one of these, actually, as Child ballad 132, "Robin Hood and the Pedlar", was featured as a tavern song in Assasin's Creed: Black Flag). Traditionally, Will Scarlet is the most skilled swordsman of the Merry Men, just as Little John is the quarterstaff champ and Robin is the bowman.

Over time, though, the different names developed into different traditions, and as early as the 1500's, "Scathelock" and "Scarlet" are being treated as two different people, where "Scathelock" or "Scarlock" was a more grubby and violent character known for his strength ("Scathelock" apparently means "lock-smasher") and "Scarlet" was the more dandified, fancy man character wearing fancy clothes. "Will Scarlet" may in a sense be a backroynm-as-character -- "Scathelock" changing into "Scarlet" over time, "Scarlet" being associated with fancy expensive clothes, and a new fancy-man character thus emerging and splitting off into his own side tradition.

Pyle follows that split, with both a Scathelock and a Scarlet in the band, but he's going to spend a lot more time on fancy Will Scarlet; he's drawing a bit on all the above here but the most direct source is Child Ballad 128, "Robin Hood Newly Revived", basically written as a Will Scarlet origin story. (You can listen to a version of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK-sm6xNM8Y )

quote:

THUS THEY traveled along the sunny road, three stout fellows such as you could hardly match anywhere else in all merry England. Many stopped to gaze after them as they strode along, so broad were their shoulders and so sturdy their gait.

Quoth Robin Hood to Little John, "Why didst thou not go straight to Ancaster, yesterday, as I told thee? Thou hadst not gotten thyself into such a coil hadst thou done as I ordered."

"I feared the rain that threatened," said Little John in a sullen tone, for he was vexed at being so chaffed by Robin with what had happened to him.

"The rain!" cried Robin, stopping of a sudden in the middle of the road, and looking at Little John in wonder. "Why, thou great oaf! not a drop of rain has fallen these three days, neither has any threatened, nor hath there been a sign of foul weather in earth or sky or water."

"Nevertheless," growled Little John, "the holy Saint Swithin holdeth the waters of the heavens in his pewter pot, and he could have poured them out, had he chosen, even from a clear sky; and wouldst thou have had me wet to the skin?"

At this Robin Hood burst into a roar of laughter. "O Little John!" said he, "what butter wits hast thou in that head of thine! Who could hold anger against such a one as thou art?"

So saying, they all stepped out once more, with the right foot foremost, as the saying is.

I can't stay mad at you!

quote:

After they had traveled some distance, the day being warm and the road dusty, Robin Hood waxed thirsty; so, there being a fountain of water as cold as ice, just behind the hedgerow, they crossed the stile and came to where the water bubbled up from beneath a mossy stone. Here, kneeling and making cups of the palms of their hands, they drank their fill, and then, the spot being cool and shady, they stretched their limbs and rested them for a space.

In front of them, over beyond the hedge, the dusty road stretched away across the plain; behind them the meadow lands and bright green fields of tender young corn lay broadly in the sun, and overhead spread the shade of the cool, rustling leaves of the beechen tree. Pleasantly to their nostrils came the tender fragrance of the purple violets and wild thyme that grew within the dewy moisture of the edge of the little fountain, and pleasantly came the soft gurgle of the water. All was so pleasant and so full of the gentle joy of the bright Maytime, that for a long time no one of the three cared to speak, but each lay on his back, gazing up through the trembling leaves of the trees to the bright sky overhead. At last, Robin, whose thoughts were not quite so busy wool- gathering as those of the others, and who had been gazing around him now and then, broke the silence.

"Heyday!" quoth he, "yon is a gaily feathered bird, I take my vow."

The others looked and saw a young man walking slowly down the highway. Gay was he, indeed, as Robin had said, and a fine figure he cut, for his doublet was of scarlet silk and his stockings also; a handsome sword hung by his side, the embossed leathern scabbard being picked out with fine threads of gold; his cap was of scarlet velvet, and a broad feather hung down behind and back of one ear. His hair was long and yellow and curled upon his shoulders, and in his hand he bore an early rose, which he smelled at daintily now and then.

"By my life!" quoth Robin Hood, laughing, "saw ye e'er such a pretty, mincing fellow?"

"Truly, his clothes have overmuch prettiness for my taste," quoth Arthur a Bland, "but, ne'ertheless, his shoulders are broad and his loins are narrow, and seest thou, good master, how that his arms hang from his body? They dangle not down like spindles, but hang stiff and bend at the elbow. I take my vow, there be no bread and milk limbs in those fine clothes, but stiff joints and tough thews."

"Methinks thou art right, friend Arthur," said Little John. "I do verily think that yon is no such roseleaf and whipped-cream gallant as he would have one take him to be."

"Pah!" quoth Robin Hood, "the sight of such a fellow doth put a nasty taste into my mouth! Look how he doth hold that fair flower betwixt his thumb and finger, as he would say, 'Good rose, I like thee not so ill but I can bear thy odor for a little while.' I take it ye are both wrong, and verily believe that were a furious mouse to run across his path, he would cry, 'La!' or 'Alack-a-day!' and fall straightway into a swoon. I wonder who he may be."

"Some great baron's son, I doubt not," answered Little John, "with good and true men's money lining his purse."

"Ay, marry, that is true, I make no doubt," quoth Robin. "What a pity that such men as he, that have no thought but to go abroad in gay clothes, should have good fellows, whose shoes they are not fit to tie, dancing at their bidding. By Saint Dunstan, Saint Alfred, Saint Withold, and all the good men in the Saxon calendar, it doth make me mad to see such gay lordlings from over the sea go stepping on the necks of good Saxons who owned this land before ever their great-grandsires chewed rind of brawn! By the bright bow of Heaven, I will have their ill-gotten gains from them, even though I hang for it as high as e'er a forest tree in Sherwood!"

"Why, how now, master," quoth Little John, "what heat is this? Thou dost set thy pot a-boiling, and mayhap no bacon to cook! Methinks yon fellow's hair is overlight for Norman locks. He may be a good man and true for aught thou knowest."

"Nay," said Robin, "my head against a leaden farthing, he is what I say. So, lie ye both here, I say, till I show you how I drub this fellow." So saying, Robin Hood stepped forth from the shade of the beech tree, crossed the stile, and stood in the middle of the road, with his hands on his hips, in the stranger's path.

We could talk about a possible gay reading of this passage, but I'm not sure it holds up if we care about authorial intent, because I doubt such was even on Pyle's radar. Still, it's there and maybe someone with better analytic chops than I could make some hay there, but I'll leave that angle aside for now.

There's the Norman / Saxon split of course and some class divisions, of course. Main thing, though, is that Robin has decided to start a fight in advance, without thinking things through or talking first, and we know by now exactly how that's going to work out for him.

quote:

Meantime the stranger, who had been walking so slowly that all this talk was held before he came opposite the place where they were, neither quickened his pace nor seemed to see that such a man as Robin Hood was in the world. So Robin stood in the middle of the road, waiting while the other walked slowly forward, smelling his rose, and looking this way and that, and everywhere except at Robin.

"Hold!" cried Robin, when at last the other had come close to him. "Hold! Stand where thou art!"

"Wherefore should I hold, good fellow?" said the stranger in soft and gentle voice. "And wherefore should I stand where I am? Ne'ertheless, as thou dost desire that I should stay, I will abide for a short time, that I may hear what thou mayst have to say to me."

"Then," quoth Robin, "as thou dost so fairly do as I tell thee, and dost give me such soft speech, I will also treat thee with all due courtesy. I would have thee know, fair friend, that I am, as it were, a votary at the shrine of Saint Wilfred who, thou mayst know, took, willy-nilly, all their gold from the heathen, and melted it up into candlesticks. Wherefore, upon such as come hereabouts, I levy a certain toll, which I use for a better purpose, I hope, than to make candlesticks withal. Therefore, sweet chuck, I would have thee deliver to me thy purse, that I may look into it, and judge, to the best of my poor powers, whether thou hast more wealth about thee than our law allows. For, as our good Gaffer Swanthold sayeth, 'He who is fat from overliving must needs lose blood.'"

All this time the youth had been sniffing at the rose that he held betwixt his thumb and finger. "Nay," said he with a gentle smile, when Robin Hood had done, "I do love to hear thee talk, thou pretty fellow, and if, haply, thou art not yet done, finish, I beseech thee. I have yet some little time to stay."

"I have said all," quoth Robin, "and now, if thou wilt give me thy purse, I will let thee go thy way without let or hindrance so soon as I shall see what it may hold. I will take none from thee if thou hast but little."

"Alas! It doth grieve me much," said the other, "that I cannot do as thou dost wish. I have nothing to give thee. Let me go my way, I prythee. I have done thee no harm."

"Nay, thou goest not," quoth Robin, "till thou hast shown me thy purse."

"Good friend," said the other gently, "I have business elsewhere. I have given thee much time and have heard thee patiently. Prythee, let me depart in peace."

"I have spoken to thee, friend," said Robin sternly, "and I now tell thee again, that thou goest not one step forward till thou hast done as I bid thee." So saying, he raised his quarterstaff above his head in a threatening way.

"Alas!" said the stranger sadly, "it doth grieve me that this thing must be. I fear much that I must slay thee, thou poor fellow!" So saying, he drew his sword.

"Put by thy weapon," quoth Robin. "I would take no vantage of thee. Thy sword cannot stand against an oaken staff such as mine. I could snap it like a barley straw. Yonder is a good oaken thicket by the roadside; take thee a cudgel thence and defend thyself fairly, if thou hast a taste for a sound drubbing."

First the stranger measured Robin with his eye, and then he measured the oaken staff. "Thou art right, good fellow," said he presently, "truly, my sword is no match for that cudgel of thine. Bide thee awhile till I get me a staff." So saying, he threw aside the rose that he had been holding all this time, thrust his sword back into the scabbard, and, with a more hasty step than he had yet used, stepped to the roadside where grew the little clump of ground oaks Robin had spoken of. Choosing among them, he presently found a sapling to his liking. He did not cut it, but, rolling up his sleeves a little way, he laid hold of it, placed his heel against the ground, and, with one mighty pull, plucked the young tree up by the roots from out the very earth. Then he came back, trimming away the roots and tender stems with his sword as quietly as if he had done nought to speak of.

Little John and the Tanner had been watching all that passed, but when they saw the stranger drag the sapling up from the earth, and heard the rending and snapping of its roots, the Tanner pursed his lips together, drawing his breath between them in a long inward whistle.

"By the breath of my body!" said Little John, as soon as he could gather his wits from their wonder, "sawest thou that, Arthur? Marry, I think our poor master will stand but an ill chance with yon fellow. By Our Lady, he plucked up yon green tree as it were a barley straw."

Whatever Robin Hood thought, he stood his ground, and now he and the stranger in scarlet stood face to face.

Methinks good Robin may have bitten off more than he can digest! (But note how this twist incorporates both the fancy Scarlet and the brutal Scathelock traditions: dude is fancy and also a beast). I love how polite and friendly they both are to each other. The bit with discarding the sword for quarterstaves parallels the original ballad, where initially they are going to shoot arrows at each other, then decide to "step it down" and fight with swords instead.

quote:

Well did Robin Hood hold his own that day as a mid-country yeoman. This way and that they fought, and back and forth, Robin's skill against the stranger's strength. The dust of the highway rose up around them like a cloud, so that at times Little John and the Tanner could see nothing, but only hear the rattle of the staves against one another. Thrice Robin Hood struck the stranger; once upon the arm and twice upon the ribs, and yet had he warded all the other's blows, only one of which, had it met its mark, would have laid stout Robin lower in the dust than he had ever gone before. At last the stranger struck Robin's cudgel so fairly in the middle that he could hardly hold his staff in his hand; again he struck, and Robin bent beneath the blow; a third time he struck, and now not only fairly beat down Robin's guard, but gave him such a rap, also, that down he tumbled into the dusty road.

"Hold!" cried Robin Hood, when he saw the stranger raising his staff once more. "I yield me!"

"Hold!" cried Little John, bursting from his cover, with the Tanner at his heels. "Hold! give over, I say!"

"Nay," answered the stranger quietly, "if there be two more of you, and each as stout as this good fellow, I am like to have my hands full. Nevertheless, come on, and I will strive my best to serve you all."

"Stop!" cried Robin Hood, "we will fight no more. I take my vow, this is an ill day for thee and me, Little John. I do verily believe that my wrist, and eke my arm, are palsied by the jar of the blow that this stranger struck me."

Then Little John turned to Robin Hood. "Why, how now, good master," said he. "Alas! Thou art in an ill plight. Marry, thy jerkin is all befouled with the dust of the road. Let me help thee to arise."

"A plague on thy aid!" cried Robin angrily. "I can get to my feet without thy help, good fellow."

"Nay, but let me at least dust thy coat for thee. I fear thy poor bones are mightily sore," quoth Little John soberly, but with a sly twinkle in his eyes.

"Give over, I say!" quoth Robin in a fume. "My coat hath been dusted enough already, without aid of thine." Then, turning to the stranger, he said, "What may be thy name, good fellow?"

Yeah, we knew that was going to happen. I like how Little John gets his digs in, to make up for Robin giving him poo poo over the fight with the Tanner.

But maybe they should've asked each other's name first?

quote:

"My name is Gamwell," answered the other.

"Ha!" cried Robin, "is it even so? I have near kin of that name. Whence camest thou, fair friend?"

"From Maxfield Town I come," answered the stranger. "There was I born and bred, and thence I come to seek my mother's young brother, whom men call Robin Hood. So, if perchance thou mayst direct me—"

"Ha! Will Gamwell!" cried Robin, placing both hands upon the other's shoulders and holding him off at arm's length. "Surely, it can be none other! I might have known thee by that pretty maiden air of thine—that dainty, finicking manner of gait. Dost thou not know me, lad? Look upon me well."

"Now, by the breath of my body!" cried the other, "I do believe from my heart that thou art mine own Uncle Robin. Nay, certain it is so!" And each flung his arms around the other, kissing him upon the cheek.

Then once more Robin held his kinsman off at arm's length and scanned him keenly from top to toe. "Why, how now," quoth he, "what change is here? Verily, some eight or ten years ago I left thee a stripling lad, with great joints and ill-hung limbs, and lo! here thou art, as tight a fellow as e'er I set mine eyes upon. Dost thou not remember, lad, how I showed thee the proper way to nip the goose feather betwixt thy fingers and throw out thy bow arm steadily? Thou gayest great promise of being a keen archer. And dost thou not mind how I taught thee to fend and parry with the cudgel?"

"Yea," said young Gamwell, "and I did so look up to thee, and thought thee so above all other men that, I make my vow, had I known who thou wert, I would never have dared to lift hand against thee this day. I trust I did thee no great harm."

"No, no," quoth Robin hastily, and looking sideways at Little John, "thou didst not harm me. But say no more of that, I prythee. Yet I will say, lad, that I hope I may never feel again such a blow as thou didst give me. By'r Lady, my arm doth tingle yet from fingernail to elbow. Truly, I thought that I was palsied for life. I tell thee, coz, that thou art the strongest man that ever I laid mine eyes upon. I take my vow, I felt my stomach quake when I beheld thee pluck up yon green tree as thou didst. But tell me, how camest thou to leave Sir Edward and thy mother?"

"Alas!" answered young Gamwell, "it is an ill story, uncle, that I have to tell thee. My father's steward, who came to us after old Giles Crookleg died, was ever a saucy varlet, and I know not why my father kept him, saving that he did oversee with great judgment. It used to gall me to hear him speak up so boldly to my father, who, thou knowest, was ever a patient man to those about him, and slow to anger and harsh words. Well, one day—and an ill day it was for that saucy fellow—he sought to berate my father, I standing by. I could stand it no longer, good uncle, so, stepping forth, I gave him a box o' the ear, and— wouldst thou believe it?—the fellow straightway died o't. I think they said I broke his neck, or something o' the like. So off they packed me to seek thee and escape the law. I was on my way when thou sawest me, and here I am."

So it's ok Robin lost! Scarlett's his own nephew (think back to Robin's comments about the guy's likely family a few paragraphs ago) and Robin taught him how to use the quarterstaff in the first place. He's just younger, stronger Robin!

Note this also implies a fair bit about Robin's social class; he may not be gentry himself, but he clearly has near relatives who are. It's also worth remembering that so far this makes two members of the band who've actually done anything specific to get themselves outlawed. Little John and the Tinker and the Tanner and the rest just join up for the hell of it and because they want to shoot deer in future; Robin and Will though, they've both killed people.

quote:

"Well, by the faith of my heart," quoth Robin Hood, "for anyone escaping the law, thou wast taking it the most easily that ever I beheld in all my life. Whenever did anyone in all the world see one who had slain a man, and was escaping because of it, tripping along the highway like a dainty court damsel, sniffing at a rose the while?"

"Nay, uncle," answered Will Gamwell, "overhaste never churned good butter, as the old saying hath it. Moreover, I do verily believe that this overstrength of my body hath taken the nimbleness out of my heels. Why, thou didst but just now rap me thrice, and I thee never a once, save by overbearing thee by my strength."

"Nay," quoth Robin, "let us say no more on that score. I am right glad to see thee, Will, and thou wilt add great honor and credit to my band of merry fellows. But thou must change thy name, for warrants will be out presently against thee; so, because of thy gay clothes, thou shalt henceforth and for aye be called Will Scarlet."

"Will Scarlet," quoth Little John, stepping forward and reaching out his great palm, which the other took, "Will Scarlet, the name fitteth thee well. Right glad am I to welcome thee among us. I am called Little John; and this is a new member who has just joined us, a stout tanner named Arthur a Bland. Thou art like to achieve fame, Will, let me tell thee, for there will be many a merry ballad sung about the country, and many a merry story told in Sherwood of how Robin Hood taught Little John and Arthur a Bland the proper way to use the quarterstaff; likewise, as it were, how our good master bit off so large a piece of cake that he choked on it."

"Nay, good Little John," quoth Robin gently, for he liked ill to have such a jest told of him. "Why should we speak of this little matter? Prythee, let us keep this day's doings among ourselves."

"With all my heart," quoth Little John. "But, good master, I thought that thou didst love a merry story, because thou hast so often made a jest about a certain increase of fatness on my joints, of flesh gathered by my abiding with the Sheriff of—"

"Nay, good Little John," said Robin hastily, "I do bethink me I have said full enough on that score."

"It is well," quoth Little John, "for in truth I myself have tired of it somewhat. But now I bethink me, thou didst also seem minded to make a jest of the rain that threatened last night; so—"

"Nay, then," said Robin Hood testily, "I was mistaken. I remember me now it did seem to threaten rain."

"Truly, I did think so myself," quoth Little John, "therefore, no doubt, thou dost think it was wise of me to abide all night at the Blue Boar Inn, instead of venturing forth in such stormy weather; dost thou not?"

"A plague of thee and thy doings!" cried Robin Hood. "If thou wilt have it so, thou wert right to abide wherever thou didst choose."

"Once more, it is well," quoth Little John. "As for myself, I have been blind this day. I did not see thee drubbed; I did not see thee tumbled heels over head in the dust; and if any man says that thou wert, I can with a clear conscience rattle his lying tongue betwixt his teeth."

"Come," cried Robin, biting his nether lip, while the others could not forbear laughing. "We will go no farther today, but will return to Sherwood, and thou shalt go to Ancaster another time, Little John."

So said Robin, for now that his bones were sore, he felt as though a long journey would be an ill thing for him. So, turning their backs, they retraced their steps whence they came.

You know what, it did look like rain! It still does! Let's all go back home and do our work some other day!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 13, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I just realized the reason I've had "little bunny foo foo hoppin through the forest" running through my head for the past two weeks is because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhYSw67pdg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same, even though I haven't seen it for years and years.

I'm really enjoying that these are discrete tales that together comprise a larger work without being tightly joined by a single narrative, both because they're easier to read in smaller sittings and because it leaves room in the imagination. I'm especially thinking of this as compared to Ivanehoe, a favorite of mine that also includes "Robin of Locksley", but is very much one continuous story.