Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
And to think of the coin flipped the other way we would've been on a 2nd or 3rd Alita movie by now… :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Android Apocalypse posted:

And to think of the coin flipped the other way we would've been on a 2nd or 3rd Alita movie by now… :smith:

Please don't remind me. I like Avatar, but it'll still always be annoying knowing that we could've had a Cameron directed Alita film/trilogy instead.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm glad the Avatar is getting to learn water bending now.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

teagone posted:

Please don't remind me. I like Avatar, but it'll still always be annoying knowing that we could've had a Cameron directed Alita film/trilogy instead.

In what universe is a jim Cameron joint preferable to a robert Rodriguez one.

No disrespect to Jim even, I just mean cmon

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

That new Bobby Fett was pretty bad.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
10 years and a billion dollars later and theyve finally ditched papyrus

but seriously, theres a lot of preggo navi running around, deviant art is going to go wild

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why aren't there any chonky Navi

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Open Source Idiom posted:

That new Bobby Fett was pretty bad.

That's because the concept is creatively bankrupt, like almost everything Disney has produced under the SW label, not because Robert Rodriguez did a bad job with it.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Hell yeah we're back baby

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Wait, don't cats hate water?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Is Jake's real body dead now? Has he permanently uploaded himself? I forget what happened in Avatar.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Let's ask the internet what happened to Jake's original body now that a ritual has transferred his conciousness to his artifical form.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I'm finding it difficult to get excited about some wet blue space cats.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SoylentCola posted:

I'm finding it difficult to get excited about some wet blue space cats.

But some of them are pregnant!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I've decided to go watch this movie in theaters

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Big mistake pal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

blessings of eywa upon you

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

are you watching with popcorn or nachos?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I usually go for the popcorn. And a super duper big drink that I always 100% regret getting by the time it's the climax of the movie.

Nov 6, 2002

reignofevil posted:

I usually go for the popcorn. And a super duper big drink that I always 100% regret getting by the time it's the climax of the movie.

That's when you repurpose that large cup.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

reignofevil posted:

Skip it. They just want your money. I'll tape it off TV for you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FunkyAl posted:

In every universe?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

reignofevil posted:

And a super duper big drink that I always 100% regret getting by the time it's the climax of the movie.

the way of water bro

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

reignofevil posted:

lol. lmao

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

New pictures from Empire magazine.

It seems that there is an RDA building in the background (top right). The characters don't seem to be afraid of being shot at so it's probably abandoned or inhabited by the human defectors who remained behind on Pandora.

Interesting that Spider isn't with the rest of Jake's kids, and is tending to the Banshee in the back. Perhaps he doesn't feel as connected to Jake.

This is Spider, Jake's human adopted son. The Avatars behind him are RDA soldiers. They all seem to be having fun, so perhaps Spider has defected to the RDA? Are they trying trying to "rescue" him and bring him back to humanity? It's unclear whether or not he has been captured by the RDA or if he is going with them willingly.

I wonder if this takes place at the abandoned RDA base from the first movie, or if this takes place at the new base, Bridgehead.

Interesting that Quaritch appears to be wearing a Na'vi sized handgun. Apparently RDA felt that it was worth the expense to create Na'vi sized weapons? Just how big is the RDA's Avatar team?

If the RDA have retrieved Spider, then I'd imagine that Quarritch might try to win over Spider's sympathies so he can gain information on how to defeat Jake. If Spider doesn't like Jake very much (and perhaps feels like an outsider to the Na'vi), then he could be more sympathetic to Quarritch and rediscovering his human heritage.

This appears to be a shot of another Dragon-class aerial gunship (exact same canopy).

It's unclear whether or not those are clouds or smoke in the background, in which case this whale could be dying in the aftermath of a battle.

They're doing the Mandalorian thing of having giant LEDs (or a projector projecting onto a screen?) in the background to provide lighting to bounce off of the set.

Sigourney Weaver plays Jake and Neytiri’s adopted teenage daughter, Kiri. There is speculation over whether or not Kiri is Dr. Grace and has reincarnated into a Na'vi body, or if one of her backup Avatars has gained their own sentience, and she is looking at a video of Grace to see what her "mother" was like. If she is a reincarnation (Ewya's doing?) then that opens a can of worms. Once word of that reaches the humans, everyone will want to come to Pandora trying to join in the cycle of reincarnation and live forever.

The humans and the Na'vi are hostile towards each other, so it's hard to imagine why Kiri would be allowed into an operational RDA base. So this could be the abandoned base from movie 1, possibly still being maintained by the human defectors.

Norm is here so this might be a flashback scene (or perhaps the recorded video diary that Kiri was looking at?)

Movie 2 concept art by one of the two most preeminent Avatar concept artists, Dylan Cole (the other being Ryan Church).

Corridor Digital talks about the new technology created for Avatar 2's water effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN7rk3rj5mc&t=542s

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drat new avatar time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

banned from Starbucks posted:

drat new avatar time.

No not until December

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hedrigall posted:

No not until December

Post/avatar combo?

Nov 6, 2002

Good god who is interested in this sequel.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm practically buzzing with anticipation!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Billions of avatarheads worldwide

It would be bizarre NOT to be swept by the pandoramania

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 15, 2022

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I am, I love the first movie, I've seen it like 9 times

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

possibly the strangest image I’ve ever seen

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For you, it was the strangest image. For someone who works at Disney World's Avatarland, it was tuesday.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That motocross sweater looks like rear end

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Good thing the cat people are Christians, wouldn’t wanna subject kids to nudity.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Invalid Validation posted:

Good thing the cat people are Christians, wouldn’t wanna subject kids to nudity.

aren’t their genitalia just hanging out in their hair braids? or am I remembering that wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

no they canonically are massively hung.