Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Things are just a little different around here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

While nobody was looking, Dark Horse started producing Avatar comic books starting this year.

Gotta say, did not expect the lore to include Giant Big-Head Men.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/avatar-surprise-re-release-china

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Trying to take it back from endgame?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sometimes you gotta break the rules.

I think it's a great idea to just keep releasing the movie you've already got rather than make a new movie and disappointing everyone.

Royal Updog
Sep 26, 2019

Do you ever wonder if there are other planets out there
(source)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Royal Updog posted:

Instead of being paraplegic, Jake Sully has now been crucified and in all of his scenes walks around with a cross still nailed to his hands.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

steinrokkan posted:

Instead of being paraplegic, Jake Sully has now been crucified and in all of his scenes walks around with a cross still nailed to his hands.

I don’t think Zack is capable of that much subtlety

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Royal Updog posted:

Jake Sully's CGI avatar is replaced by Jim Caviezel in blue paint and on stilts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

UPDATE:
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1370473601409880064?s=20

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I think that you shouldn't be allowed to re-release the film and then add the money you earned from it onto your old release money unless you haven't yet spent any of the first releases revenue.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Put your money where your mouth is and all that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

reignofevil posted:

I think that you shouldn't be allowed to re-release the film and then add the money you earned from it onto your old release money unless you haven't yet spent any of the first releases revenue.

This would probably move Gone With the Wind down from the "adjusted for inflation" top spot and we can't have that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

Quoth James Cameron,

"Nevermore"

I don't know why but that particular shot of the sexy cat man, among the many common avatar screencaps, really fuckin sets off my uncanny valley vibes.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

makes my uncanny valley feel something, not sure we’re taking about the same exact sensation tho

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't know why but that particular shot of the sexy cat man, among the many common avatar screencaps, really fuckin sets off my uncanny valley vibes.

I deliberately linked the tweet instead of the article so you’d see that thumbnail with that magnificent smile without even clicking

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

*James Cameron puts another 100 in the blue catboy banana hammock*

We're going back to the top, baby!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I see you, Jamescameron.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1370782458870960138

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

In 2035 we're gonna be walking through the holo-theater past Avatar, Avatar 2, Avengers Infinty-Endgame Double Feature, Goldeneye Rerelease and then we'll finally get to the screen way in the back of the hall where sometimes we see new movies.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

DON'T DOUBLE DOWN ON YOUR STUPID SHIT JUST CAUSE YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY. YOU MAKE STUPID FUCKING DECISIONS ALL THE TIME THEN DOUBLE DOWN LIKE A PETULANT CHILD. GOD I FUCKING HATE YOU SO MUCH SOMETIMES.

That just proves everyone wants to get off this planet and gently caress.

Royal Updog
Sep 26, 2019

Do you ever wonder if there are other planets out there
(source)

Invalid Validation posted:

everyone wants to get off this planet and gently caress.

Maybe Avatar was Star Trek this whole time.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

Just a poor man's Park Ji Sung

Leapord

is avatar 2 going to be more or less horny

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I think the only hope that it shatters more box office records than avatar 1 is if they double or even triple down on horny.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I heard it's a pretty blue movie.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/james-cameron-threatened-fire-avatar-2-writers-1234627393/

quote:

“When I sat down to write the sequels, I knew there were going to be three at the time and eventually it turned into four, I put together a group of writers and said, ‘I don’t want to hear anybody’s new ideas or anyone’s pitches until we have spent some time figuring out what worked on the first film, what connected, and why it worked,'” Cameron continued. “They kept wanting to talk about the new stories. I said, ‘We aren’t doing that yet.’ Eventually I had to threaten to fire them all because they were doing what writers do, which is to try and create new stories. I said, ‘We need to understand what the connection was and protect it, protect that ember and that flame.'”

Narrator: The connection was horny blue cats

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The first film worked?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

It's still one of the better Blockbusters of the 2010s

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

This is all one big thing.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

It is going to receive an NC-17 rating for unsimulated, motion-captured penetration.

Sodomy Hussein
Oct 9, 2005

Everything is subject to the needs of intelligence, for geniuses like me. If we actually solve problems, people won't need me and people like me, and this is a travesty without end. You have to squeeze the poor so they know their place, and you fucking commies forget that.

I guess all things being equal, James is at least honest that he's always been a money guy first and a filmmaker second.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I guess all things being equal, James is at least honest that he's always been a money guy first and a filmmaker second.

if theres somebody, anybody left in the hollywood blockbuster system who can be called an actual filmmaker, its cameron, lol

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

He's roger corman school, so he's very aware of the money without necessarily being driven by it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

It is going to receive an NC-17 rating for unsimulated, motion-captured penetration.

UNDERWATER unsimulated, motion-captured penetration.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

What was the part of Avatar that helped it sell all of those tickets?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

reignofevil posted:

What was the part of Avatar that helped it sell all of those tickets?

Hype and 3D movies being a fad at the time.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

That was what I was afraid someone would say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

It being the first real made-from-ground-up-for-3D movie is the only reason I saw it in the cinema twice. Those cats looked cool yo