Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That;s what I call it when he and I make love :swoon:

I probably wouldn't associate lovemaking with a box full of diseases, but to each their own.

Oof, didn't realize this would be a snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Oof, didn't realize this would be a snype.

That's what he says whenever he finishes.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

lol

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Jazerus posted:

this mf said "avatar 5"

I imagine this was everyone's attitude when George Lucas announced there would be 9 Star Wars movies

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I imagine this was everyone's attitude when George Lucas announced there would be 9 Star Wars movies

And look how that turned out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
George was wrong, there are 11 Star Wars movies.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

like abd share this post if you are horny for the big blue cat man

😏

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

George was wrong, there are 11 Star Wars movies.

There's more than that. Two Ewok Adventures plus the CGI Clone Wars movie makes it at least 14, and that's not counting the Christmas Special.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

They planned so much, and yet didn't actually plan anything.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

They wrote right on the plan that one of the steps was to come up with a plan!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

This CGI looks just like real life! :eyepop:

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

That picture is fanmade dude

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPSBclqSBxQ

I'm so excited about Avatar

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Only four hundred and thirty eight more days!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think the title for the movie should be Avatar 2: Come Hell or High Water

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

James Horner's soundtrack was great, was really apart of the flavor of the film. The music for the final battle was cliche but dramatic. I have a few tracks added to my favorite's playlist. He also did the music for the Star Trek movies RIP.

Nervous about the music for the sequel. Apparently it's being done by a guy called Simon Franglen. I don't recall having heard anything good from him. We'll see.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
lol remember when Cameron hired a bunch of experts and talented music people to create a unique musical score based on indigenous music, then realized that it didn't sound movie-music enough and just trashed everything and brought on James Horner instead?

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Archer666 posted:

lol remember when Cameron hired a bunch of experts and talented music people to create a unique musical score based on indigenous music, then realized that it didn't sound movie-music enough and just trashed everything and brought on James Horner instead?

They put a tremendous amount of thought into the music and did a lot of experimentation, though ultimately they just didn't have enough experience with the bizzare sounds and scales they were using to make a soundtrack that they'd feel confidant in. Perhaps if Horner had more experience with those bizzare sounds and scales he could've pulled it off. Doubt they will attempt that again or else the score could come off as inconsistent with the musical style established in the first film.

https://archive.fo/FlPOy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Moofia Boss Val posted:

James Horner's soundtrack was great, was really apart of the flavor of the film. The music for the final battle was cliche but dramatic. I have a few tracks added to my favorite's playlist. He also did the music for the Star Trek movies RIP.

Nervous about the music for the sequel. Apparently it's being done by a guy called Simon Franglen. I don't recall having heard anything good from him. We'll see.

Horner was fine enough, but was infamous for recycling his own work so frequently and thoroughly that you can't tell which Horner-scored movie you're watching by the soundtrack.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Apollo 13’s ending and Avatar have music that’s sometimes identical

Hans Zimmer does it too, Gladiator and Lion King 2 both have extensive sections of what would become the Pirates of the Caribbean main theme

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

They put a tremendous amount of thought into the music and did a lot of experimentation, though ultimately they just didn't have enough experience with the bizzare sounds and scales they were using to make a soundtrack that they'd feel confidant in. Perhaps if Horner had more experience with those bizzare sounds and scales he could've pulled it off. Doubt they will attempt that again or else the score could come off as inconsistent with the musical style established in the first film.

https://archive.fo/FlPOy

that link posted:

Several other aspects of production design also raised our concerns. The artist’s rendering of the Blue Flute (the clan totem) was not a flute, but organologically speaking, a trumpet. Another sketch showed a chordophone reminiscent of Harry Partch’s kithara. A drawing of a drum mentioned a “complex rhythmic structure which features multi-layered elliptical time signatures derived from the orbital patterns of their solar system.” I realized that there was a disconnect between the artistic concept and the ethnomusicological/organological perspective. They were drawing interesting pictures; I was looking for musical logic. Months after the film was released, I discovered that Cameron himself was aware of similar issues. He justified these concerns by explaining that on occasion, a detail or two may have been overlooked or consciously ignored in the interest of storytelling.

"Nobody involved in the production design knew jack poo poo about music, and the fact that they kept pretending to made my job a lot harder than it had to be "

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He justified these concerns by explaining that on occasion, a detail or two may have been overlooked or consciously ignored in the interest of storytelling.

Sometimes you gotta break the rules.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Apollo 13’s ending and Avatar have music that’s sometimes identical

Hans Zimmer does it too, Gladiator and Lion King 2 both have extensive sections of what would become the Pirates of the Caribbean main theme

John Williams too - the Harry Potter theme originates from part of his Witches of Eastwick score, and Attack of the Clones & Chamber of Secrets use identical music for some of their action sequences.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Nobody involved in the production design knew jack poo poo about music, and the fact that they kept pretending to made my job a lot harder than it had to be "

I don't see what the problem is here. What, a flute music is playing in a scene where a background character is playing a horn looking instrument that you can only see for 2 seconds? Superfluous details shouldn't usurp making an enjoyable story.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cant wait for Disney to buy the Mariana Trench for the next Disney’s World of Pandora expansion

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mickeyana Trench.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1470875216871972865

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1471571224883040259

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Interesting that the RDA made another of the same Dragon model gunship. Would've been cool if we had gotten a different model of aerial gunship.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

... I'm getting Cavatar in 2022???

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Vavatar Two Jewzz??? Holy poo poo!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Second row, fourth row and third row from the bottom all say I’m getting ARSE :getin: :wiggle:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

... I'm getting Cavatar in 2022???

The crossover musical we've all been waiting for!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Interesting that the RDA made another of the same Dragon model gunship. Would've been cool if we had gotten a different model of aerial gunship.

Agreed, but I'm remembering some lore I read about how most of the RDA gear is 3D printed/assembled on Pandora (makes a ton of sense, the starships should carry as little payload as they can get away with), and trying to think through the implications of that for evolving military tech. Presumably the design of an updated gunship would have to come from Earth, and it'd be no big deal to send new digital plans, but if your on-site workforce has built one thing that worked (until it blew up), why not just repeat that?

With a ~14 year time skip, there could be a new design, but for a weapons platform that large, unless there's a lot of warfare on Earth driving improvements, I doubt there'd be a generational shift. The stuff you'd expect to improve would be mostly hidden - electronic stuff like comms and sensors, maybe some slightly better engines, better seeker heads on more agile missiles. The cockpit layout might not change at all.

I would expect smaller scale stuff to evolve more rapidly - the single person mechs especially if the RDA is switching to all out warfare.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Some interesting tidbits on the Avatar sequels (and Dune) in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgZQK7cfx_0

at 4:41, while discussing the concurrent shoots of parts 2/3, Cameron says he's already shot parts of part 4, because "the kids are allowed to age six years in the middle of the story, on page 25 of movie 4."

Combined with some other mentions of Earth as a location for parts of the later films, this all but confirms (in my mind anyway) my theory that part 4/5 will (partly at least) be about Pandora natives changing conditions on Earth (saving Gaia, not just Pandora/Eywa).

link to my earlier post about why it makes sense

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Combined with some other mentions of Earth as a location for parts of the later films, this all but confirms (in my mind anyway) my theory that part 4/5 will (partly at least) be about Pandora natives changing conditions on Earth (saving Gaia, not just Pandora/Eywa).

Eh, I don't know. Not as in "I don't think that will happen" but as in "uh, I don't think this is a good idea". Nobody liked the first film because of the messaging. People liked it because it was an escapist fantasy movie that explored a really cool world. Movie 2 will probably do well because it will probably deliver more on that, with our heroes exploring an underwater fantasy world. If the sequels return to boring old, run down earth (we live on earth and find it boring. And megacorporate and a ruined earth has been beaten to death in entertainment media), then I don't think it's going to have that mass audience appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I don't think James Cameron cares about that, and if anyone has the box office clout to not get those kinds of notes it's JC