Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not seeing the problem, Heif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

JOHN CENA posted:

this is probably of the gaudiest and just ugliest "custom" championship designs, and yes, im including the jeff hardy belt.

yes, but it also led to one of the all-time great custom belts

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I have a soft spot for the Briscoe title because it was around during my favorite time/place of the last decade (2013-2015 ROH). Real guilty pleasure poo poo because morally AND aesthetically it's repulsive.

Miss when both the Jays (Briscoe and Lethal) were good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's funny that the matt hardy belt has much better camo on it

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Sanguinia posted:

If Luchasaurus wasn't the first champion that belt is a FARCE! :argh:

He lost to Puroraptor in the inaugural tourney finals. He would eventually win it from Bea Arthur after she won it from Puroraptor as depicted in this painting.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Okay, so these days Progress has some nice looking tag team belts. When they first started, though, they thought the idea of belts was a bit outdated, so their tag champs had...

...shields. Specifically two halves of a yin yang that they joined together like pieces of a friendship necklace.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

hunnert car pileup posted:

as do these very much non-piles of poo poo:

These look very shiny so I imagine its either a recreation or some other championship that looks identical but these look a lot like the old NWA International Tag Team Championship belt which is unique in a different way since in the late 80s they were merged into the PWF Heavyweight Tag Titles to form the AJPW World Tag Team Championship which to this day over 30 years later is still represented by both belts which is rare - WWE have done this in the short-term before but they always come out with a single belt eventually while All Japan never did.

Someone mentioned the Triple Crown which I think also qualifies: until they fell out with the Baba family it was also a single championship represented by three belts: deciding that they no longer needed three almost-equal singles heavyweight belts (the PWF Heavyweight Title, the NWA International Heavyweight Title and the NWA United National Heavyweight Title) they merged them all into the Triple Crown while keeping the physical belts around as the prize for winning it. They created a single belt in 2012 I think but last year at the Baba Memorial show they let Kento Miyahara, then Triple Crown champion, use the original three belts (which are now very, very old: realistically if they wanted to return to this they'd need to create new belts in order to preserve the old ones for history) in his entrance

The physical belt designs aren't necessarily weird: but the idea of a unified title retaining physically separate belts for incredibly long periods of time (25 years for the Triple Crown, over 30 for the AJPW Tag Titles) I think qualifies as weird plus I think its an incredibly cool concept that makes your top champions look important. The belts being old as poo poo helps as well: sure the designs aren't as cool or as flashy as modern belts but I think it makes them feel more important: the thing you are fighting for has this great history behind it which automatically makes it cool.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I do miss the Triple Crown with 3 belts, poo poo looked cool, more belts is always better as shown by the J Crown.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Okay, so these days Progress has some nice looking tag team belts. When they first started, though, they thought the idea of belts was a bit outdated, so their tag champs had...

...shields. Specifically two halves of a yin yang that they joined together like pieces of a friendship necklace.

Admittedly, I quite liked this (and the giant staff for the PROGRESS Championship), but I'm a sucker for goofy, gimmicky non-belt championships. Of course, the shields and staff were at their best when they were broken or used as weapons.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i know this is more for weird or bad belts, but i am curious: is big plat the best belt of all time? im personally partial to big gold, and i know many are partial to the winged eagle, but man...its so shiny................

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

big gold will always be my favourite belt

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paper Lion posted:

i know this is more for weird or bad belts, but i am curious: is big plat the best belt of all time? im personally partial to big gold, and i know many are partial to the winged eagle, but man...its so shiny................

Not in a world with the IWGP Heavyweight Title :colbert:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Meanwhile, in MMA land, I'm not really a fan of the new UFC belt. It looks like something streetbeefs would make if they actually had a budget. I liked fake big gold better.

The WEC belts were pretty cool too.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Trotsky and Stalin on the same belt, hmmmm

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Triple Crown three belts are the coolest poo poo in the world y'all better not be saying they're bad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Forceholy posted:

Meanwhile, in MMA land, I'm not really a fan of the new UFC belt. It looks like something streetbeefs would make if they actually had a budget. I liked fake big gold better.

The WEC belts were pretty cool too.

Entirely agree, the new UFC titles are really goofy and kind of remind of those current WWE titles, albeit slightly less gaudy.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
no one is hating on the Triple Crown; if they do then that's probatable imo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lamuella posted:

hahaha this fuckin rules

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Entirely agree, the new UFC titles are really goofy and kind of remind of those current WWE titles, albeit slightly less gaudy.

It has that same cheap toy looking problem. The gimmick with the stones getting filled in from defenses and stuff is especially goofy. As is making everything on it an octogon.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i didn’t really know the rules about gift of the gods until i read this thread and it’s really a cool concept imo

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Pretty much the same thing as the old WMAC Masters belt which probably was in turn taken from some old martial arts movie.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Saucer Crab posted:

Pretty much the same thing as the old WMAC Masters belt which probably was in turn taken from some old martial arts movie.

If you told me this picture was from some Mortal Kombat knockoff shoestring-budget movie I would 100% believe you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I feel like wearing that carries the risk of transforming into a mecha

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

If you told me this picture was from some Mortal Kombat knockoff shoestring-budget movie I would 100% believe you.

i mean have you ever seen WMAC Masters

its basically that but a tv show

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Wait what the gently caress this is blowing my mind.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

i mean have you ever seen WMAC Masters

its basically that but a tv show

I haven't, and now i need to

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

WMAC Masters is such an obvious influence on Lucha Underground that I feel like an idiot for not seeing it before.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It reads like if someone did a worked version of American Ninja Warrior but they fought and also there was magic.

I just described Wrestling didn't I

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gumball Gumption posted:

It reads like if someone did a worked version of American Ninja Warrior but they fought and also there was magic.

I just described Wrestling didn't I

If wrestling had moral lessons in every episode.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surprised nobody beat me to the most obvious answer:

Admittedly, I love how thick this piece of poo poo is. Champ belts should be thick as hell.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Taintrunner posted:

Surprised nobody beat me to the most obvious answer:

Admittedly, I love how thick this piece of poo poo is. Champ belts should be thick as hell.

As bad as that is, I'd say this is worse, simply on account that the scratch logo didn't fit properly

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The spinner belt would've been OK had it only been used during Cena's first reign. Instead, they used it for eight years.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I don't think I'd have disliked the spinner belt if it had just been a custom Cena-specific belt like the Smoking Skull or the various facebelts. I hate the fact that it replaced a much better looking one and became THE championship belt.

IceAgeComing posted:

These look very shiny so I imagine its either a recreation or some other championship that looks identical but these look a lot like the old NWA International Tag Team Championship belt which is unique in a different way since in the late 80s they were merged into the PWF Heavyweight Tag Titles to form the AJPW World Tag Team Championship which to this day over 30 years later is still represented by both belts which is rare - WWE have done this in the short-term before but they always come out with a single belt eventually while All Japan never did.

True. Having the top title represented by the belts that make up its lineage absolutely makes the champion look like a big loving deal. I guess I've always liked the aesthetic of multiple belts. I hope when the WWE inevitably does a match between the WWE and Universal Champions with both belts on the line, the WWE Champion comes out with all the belts draped around him. Yes, even the WWWF ones.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What would be the most unwieldy belt to travel with? I assume that's the spinner or the variants of that, but is there anything bigger and heavier?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

flashy_mcflash posted:

What would be the most unwieldy belt to travel with? I assume that's the spinner or the variants of that, but is there anything bigger and heavier?

I've never seen a photo a Mid-South North American Champion actually wearing this:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the original undisputed, as shown above, was really large and unwieldly, and they wound up replacing it with a smaller model after Kurt Angle won it off of Big Show in 2002. The current IWGP Heavyweight Championship is also enormous.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Has enough time passed that we can admit this belt was nasty?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it's definitely tacky, as is his new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

the original undisputed, as shown above, was really large and unwieldly, and they wound up replacing it with a smaller model after Kurt Angle won it off of Big Show in 2002. The current IWGP Heavyweight Championship is also enormous.

What’s this photo from because why does a young YTR have the idub? I mean, I understand it as a vision of a past that should have happened but I don’t understand it in our current reality