Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Also I would like to say that while I love the big idub belt, when it’s in the wrong lighting it can look like it’s a plastic toy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

extradite THIS! posted:

What’s this photo from because why does a young YTR have the idub? I mean, I understand it as a vision of a past that should have happened but I don’t understand it in our current reality

during Tanahashi's 3rd or 4th reign, he was one of the challengers set to face him and did the old Challenger-Stealing-The-Belt deal

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'm sick because I've liked like 3/4ths of these belts. I just like wrestling belts a lot, even when they're ugly. Especially when they're ugly!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

extradite THIS! posted:

What’s this photo from because why does a young YTR have the idub? I mean, I understand it as a vision of a past that should have happened but I don’t understand it in our current reality

JOHN CENA posted:

during Tanahashi's 3rd or 4th reign, he was one of the challengers set to face him and did the old Challenger-Stealing-The-Belt deal

in case you can't read katakana, the of paper taped over the name plate predictably reads "ヤノトールー” (YANO TO-RU-)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

Has enough time passed that we can admit this belt was nasty?

Yeah this is one of those things that's trying waaaayyyyy too hard to be wacky/viral.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DJExile posted:

Yeah this is one of those things that's trying waaaayyyyy too hard to be wacky/viral.

In fairness to Cardona... it worked?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bothered to google "mortal kombat championship belt" and I think this actually rules though

Hey, remember GFW? The weird doodles at the top look so bad.

Gaudiest poo poo in the world:

Appreciate this one for the lack of effort:

And of course, the genocidal monarchy championship:

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 3, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lol ok that plastic belt is great

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'd like to see a championship pants with championship belt loops that fit the championship belt

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Reality Protester posted:

I'd like to see a championship pants with championship belt loops that fit the championship belt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjAUVraF7k

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Remember this was selling for like 7 grand at one point lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tommy Dreamer's WWE Hardcore title (which was just the European belt with a license plate tied to the front and stickers on the side plates)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Accident Underwater posted:

Remember this was selling for like 7 grand at one point lol

<:haw:>

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Appreciate this one for the lack of effort:

i feel like with how varied body types can be, a see-thru belt is a recipe for hilarity.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I'm sick because I've liked like 3/4ths of these belts. I just like wrestling belts a lot, even when they're ugly. Especially when they're ugly!

this this rules

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Lamuella posted:

Okay, so these days Progress has some nice looking tag team belts. When they first started, though, they thought the idea of belts was a bit outdated, so their tag champs had...

...shields. Specifically two halves of a yin yang that they joined together like pieces of a friendship necklace.

I just spent so much time trying to find this one fed I can't remember. Christian-based fed. The fed's champion didn't have a belt, he had a sword.

I may have been hallucinating.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

vince russo's Ring of Glory

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

THANK YOU.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

JOHN CENA posted:

vince russo's Ring of Glory

Of course it's hanging in ladder match.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sharp end pointed down!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

doesn't Rey de Reyes do a huge rear end sword as a trophy too

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

DJExile posted:

doesn't Rey de Reyes do a huge rear end sword as a trophy too

Yes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/championship-title-belt-dave-millican/

I love this little excerpt about Reggie Parks from this article:

quote:

[Dave] Millican owns the first belts Parks ever made, the AWA Midwest tag team titles. They still shine like they’re new, and the leather is supple and soft. They could be put on TV at a moment’s notice, and they’d look spectacular. The titles were made in 1967 for the Nebraska territory affiliated with Verne Gagne’s AWA. My God. These belts are 50 years old. Millican tells me a great story: Harley Race and Larry Hennig were AWA world champions at the time, coming into Nebraska to face Midwest tag champs Parks and Doug Gilbert (also known as Doug Lindzy, not Eddie Gilbert’s brother). The AWA world tag titles at the time were essentially wooden plaques fastened to leather straps. Race and Hennig got a look at the Parks-made titles and told him they weren’t going to wear the world titles to the ring if Parks and Gilbert wore their belts.

It’s sort of funny that Parks only made the Midwest tag belts because he didn’t want to carry around the trophy that represented the title. Belts were easier to carry. Suddenly, a career was born.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

On one hand; a sword is a rad-rear end piece of championship hardware. On the other I am of the mind that nothing with a blade bigger than a razor (and even then) should be anywhere near a wrestling ring. Also holy poo poo you don't put suspend it above the ring somebody could have gotten seriously killed.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

GCW's top title should be An Actual Gun

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CERO MIEDO (because I have a huge rear end sword)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LUCHA SWORD
Mexi-Bling
Cero miedo
Chop stuff when I swing

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Tommy Dreamer's WWE Hardcore title (which was just the European belt with a license plate tied to the front and stickers on the side plates)

This one owns bring it back. I'd buy a replica of this and give it to my extremely New Yorker dad

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Davros1 posted:

On closer look, that does seem more like Tommy Dreamer's Arts and Crafts title. Like he went on Martha Stewart with a trash can full of stuff and demonstrated how you can make a wrestling belt with things you already own.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

If we're posting the hardcore belt

Did the actual thing have the tape with "WWF" written on it? all the pictures show it but I honestly don't know/remember if the real thing had it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A couple from Dragon Gate:

I think this qualifies for "weird", but I always really liked the concept of the Open the Dream Gate title. The champion's nameplate is placed inside the belt face, then locked behind a gate with a keyhole. You have to earn a challenger's key for a title shot. If you win, your key unlocks the faceplate and you replace the champion's name inside with your own. If you lose, there's a bar across the bottom where the champion gets to hang all his challenger's keys like trophies.

As for ugly (which I'm sure is intentional), they also have the Owarai (comedy) title:

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

I can't find bigger pics, but from Memphis in the early 80s:

AWA Southern Tag Team Titles, circa 1978-81. Later recycled as the CWA tag team titles around 1989.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

sticklefifer posted:

A couple from Dragon Gate:

I think this qualifies for "weird", but I always really liked the concept of the Open the Dream Gate title. The champion's nameplate is placed inside the belt face, then locked behind a gate with a keyhole. You have to earn a challenger's key for a title shot. If you win, your key unlocks the faceplate and you replace the champion's name inside with your own. If you lose, there's a bar across the bottom where the champion gets to hang all his challenger's keys like trophies.

I always loved that key concept. It's a pretty cool idea to have some visual thing on the belt itself to show how many successful defenses you've made.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah that whole concept owns

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

I always loved that key concept. It's a pretty cool idea to have some visual thing on the belt itself to show how many successful defenses you've made.

For all that they're gross looking, the current UFC belts have that kind of gimmick too, right?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gaz-L posted:

For all that they're gross looking, the current UFC belts have that kind of gimmick too, right?

Not sure, I don't follow UFC at all. Do they just hang the mouth guard of the person they beat on the belt?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

NienNunb posted:

big :same:

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Taintrunner posted:

I am shocked that this took 4 pages.

It's offensive on multiple levels.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Kind of but it sucks. They just change one of the gems on it for each title defense and you wouldn't notice if no one told you. They go from a white fake diamond to a ruby. The idea is that they can customize the belt to each fighter who holds it but they're ugly.

You used to get a belt with each defense so if you had a lot of defenses you have a lot of belts.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MightyMouse/status/862352725459251201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Someone should dig through match results and figure out who the Lineal WWE Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Champion currently is. Could be fun and you might get a cultural ambassador job offer from MBS.