Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

everdave posted:

I have no levers made for bikes...I will watch the videos. This set of tires has been on there at least 25 years...I do have plastic wedges/putty scrapers. Will watch videos and see if I should attempt this weekend
I always used to use two old butter knives, worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Last time I had to do that I'm pretty sure I just used some of my dad's flatblade screwdrivers as tire irons.

This was something like 20-25 years ago so :shrug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bike tire levers are the poo poo. They're plastic so they won't mar your wheels or screw up your sidewalls, and they have little hooks that hook to your spokes so you don't have to have four hands. I have these, and they ride in my saddle bag along with a patch kit and CO2 canister.
https://www.harriscyclery.net/product/kool-stop-sport-tire-lever-set-1112.htm

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 1, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Tire levers are definitely worth buying, but I've also used a quarter and a flat blade screwdriver in my Swiss army knife once and patched the tube with aluminum foil HVAC tape I begged off a contractor who was working on a school near where I got the flat. Ideal? No. Got me 5 miles home? Yeah.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

opengl128 posted:

I always used to use two old butter knives, worked fine.

Really, this is all you need. One to keep the bead from shifting, the other to move the bead.

I've developed a technique that only used levers for removal. Once you get the tire/tube off, and get one side of the new tire on and the tube in, just grab the bead that's seated and swing the wheel back and forth and use your hands to slowly get the other side of the bead on. It's hard to explain, but ultimately, you end up with 80% of the bead seated, then the momentum of the wheel swinging side to side allows you to get that last "click" in (this has worked for me up to really tight 700c tires... may not work for everything, but probably everything you'll be working on. :D ).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Really, this is all you need. One to keep the bead from shifting, the other to move the bead.

I've developed a technique that only used levers for removal. Once you get the tire/tube off, and get one side of the new tire on and the tube in, just grab the bead that's seated and swing the wheel back and forth and use your hands to slowly get the other side of the bead on. It's hard to explain, but ultimately, you end up with 80% of the bead seated, then the momentum of the wheel swinging side to side allows you to get that last "click" in (this has worked for me up to really tight 700c tires... may not work for everything, but probably everything you'll be working on. :D ).

Will try! These are just 20” bmx tires I have all kinds of screwdrivers and plastic spreaders and everything just nothing bike specific

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Picked up the wheels, let the peeling begin!

One down, three to go....The plasti dip was protecting them so it's like new :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice, looks brand new

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Those wheels look great man!

Cross post question from the Japan import thread.

I have a diesel Hilux Surf I just got that will not start. Alternator fuse was blown replaced and now everything "works" but cranks and cranks won't fire.

I was coaxed from the other thread to crack open and bleed the injectors. I opened them and when I crank the engine clean diesel comes out.

Closed them back up and tried with all open part ways some open and now all closed and still same, won't start. Cranks like a beast.

Any further ideas? It wouldn't be a clogged filter or bad pump if its pumping diesel in when I crank and they are open.

When I opened the injectors they did not leak any diesel out until I cranked the engine, not even with plunger on top of filter.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I saw a car yesterday with the custom license plate ANUSTART lmaooo

i will try to get a picture for you all

Owned by the worlds first Analyst/Therapist I’m sure. There are dozens of them. Dozens!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bolind posted:

Wait, link?

https://www.instagram.com/awd_brz/

It just happens to be in my garage :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749332&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Re: BMX wheels if the tires are that old check the rim strips before putting the new tubes and tires on. If the strips are that old too they might need replacing it might work for awhile but it would suck to have it wear through and pop the new tube.
Strips of duct tape over the spoke ends can work in a pinch.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Just get some tire levers. Pedro's levers are the best and can be bought at any bike shop or REI.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

everdave posted:

I have a diesel Hilux Surf I just got that will not start. Alternator fuse was blown replaced and now everything "works" but cranks and cranks won't fire.

I was coaxed from the other thread to crack open and bleed the injectors. I opened them and when I crank the engine clean diesel comes out.

Closed them back up and tried with all open part ways some open and now all closed and still same, won't start. Cranks like a beast.

Any further ideas? It wouldn't be a clogged filter or bad pump if its pumping diesel in when I crank and they are open.

When I opened the injectors they did not leak any diesel out until I cranked the engine, not even with plunger on top of filter.

What I generally do is crack them all, once I start getting fuel spurting from two (stay back, this is oil injection injury territory) I stop and tighten those back down then start it and tighten the others one at a time as they start spurting, then if it's still missing I crack the missing ones and idle till they spurt too, then tighten them. Gotta be careful because you don't want to get fingers amputated, but it's never failed me.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

everdave posted:

Not enough pressure to fire the injectors. That or timing is way off but diesels don’t usually jump time. I don’t know toyota specifically but old ones normally need a couple thousand to pop off.

If it doesn’t have glow plugs or a grid heater you can give it a shot of ether and see if it fires.

A local heavy diesel shop might be able to test the injectors and pump.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Not enough pressure to fire the injectors. That or timing is way off but diesels don’t usually jump time. I don’t know toyota specifically but old ones normally need a couple thousand to pop off.

If it doesn’t have glow plugs or a grid heater you can give it a shot of ether and see if it fires.

A local heavy diesel shop might be able to test the injectors and pump.

It has glow plugs. It could be a pressure issue, cranking it even with one fuel line completely disconnected from injector it didn’t like spray all over the place. Just leaked diesel out.

I posted on slack a pic of fuel filter and it has sealant all around the top and the fuel lines and everything else is just factory fresh looks beautiful. Could that be leading g to it? I do ha e a new Napa gold fuel filter but this one will be a pain to take off it is definitely not on just hand right.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Today I changed the oil in my Mahindra for the first time in 3 years. The local dealer closed and parts are now hard to come by and expensive. But it got done. Its got two oil pan bolts and takes 6 quarts for a 38hp 1.7L NA diesel. I also spent 3 hours too long wiring up a starter relay. From the factory it came with a leaky exide battery that dissolved the positive terminal and some other stuff. I bought a crimper and marine terminals/lugs, replaced all of it, and wired a battery charger cable to the steering column so I can hook up a battery powered sprayer. Mahindra/Mitsubishi (and a lot of others) also decided to route all the power for the starter solenoid through the ignition switch. Works fine when you buy them, but a couple years of rain, dirt, dust and vibration make that situation a mess. Putting an auxiliary relay in fixes it. Lots of small diesel equipment has this problem as well, handy fix to remember if any of you buy used stuff and you have to turn the key 20 times to get it to actually engage the starter. Some people try to say its the starter but if you jump it with a screwdriver it will work fine. In my case the starter was a $900 part so yeah, I will take the $20 relay and deal the frustration of putting it in.

We also bought a new fifth wheel to live in for the next year. Its a Jayco Pinnacle 32rtls. Having septic/water and electric hookups put in for it next week. Maybe some gravel too.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

everdave posted:

It has glow plugs. It could be a pressure issue, cranking it even with one fuel line completely disconnected from injector it didn’t like spray all over the place. Just leaked diesel out.

I posted on slack a pic of fuel filter and it has sealant all around the top and the fuel lines and everything else is just factory fresh looks beautiful. Could that be leading g to it? I do ha e a new Napa gold fuel filter but this one will be a pain to take off it is definitely not on just hand right.

Thats some p.o. Fuckery for sure. It might just be sucking too much air. Those filter heads are usually rebuildable with a few o rings/gaskets, and you definitely need to find out whats going on there. Fuel lines can collapse internally too. Does it have an electric pump or just rely on suction from the injection pump? If you want to try ether remove the wire that controls the glow plug relay first.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Thats some p.o. Fuckery for sure. It might just be sucking too much air. Those filter heads are usually rebuildable with a few o rings/gaskets, and you definitely need to find out whats going on there. Fuel lines can collapse internally too. Does it have an electric pump or just rely on suction from the injection pump? If you want to try ether remove the wire that controls the glow plug relay first.

I just had the fuse box out to replace the 100 amp alternator fuse with the glow plug relay ha it’s bolted in underneath.

I’ll try to just replace the fuel filter first and clean up that mess. I can order e replacement top unit for the filter for not too much but it will take a week or more to get here. I’ll try to clean this one up and install the new filter correctly and cleanly and fill with diesel (the new filter) when I install.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
if you're getting fuel at the injector, check your glowplug system. does it smoke at all during cranking?

rdb posted:

We also bought a new fifth wheel to live in for the next year. Its a Jayco Pinnacle 32rtls. Having septic/water and electric hookups put in for it next week. Maybe some gravel too.

aaaaa fuckin jayco. doin some home reno or travels?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

rdb posted:

Yep, Thats gonna be where the issue is I recon- If they've gone to that much effort slapping RTV around to try and seal around that filter its probably full of air leaks. Toyota Diesels will NOT fire if theres air in the fuel- it compresses and the injectors just do not open.

Quick test is get some clear vinyl line and hook it between the filter and the injection pump- then you can watch the fuel stream.

I've seen the O rings on the filter heads go bad before and they wont leak fuel out, but will allow air in. They're not rebuildable without serious fuckery (they're all crimped shut assemblies) but you can get away with bypassing them with a joiner for trouble shooting. I also had one on my mates 1HD-T 80 series where the original 1992 fuel line was so old and hard that if you grabbed it and wiggled it while the engine was running it would struggle and die because it would move around the clamps and let air in.

I'd replace the soft line from the body fuel line to the filter with decent worm drive clamps (those spring clamps from toyota are actually only rated for single use and marked disposable in the workshop manuals), fit a piece of clear tube from filter to pump, again with worm drives and see if your getting a stream of bubbles in the fuel flow when cranking.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cursedshitbox posted:

if you're getting fuel at the injector, check your glowplug system. does it smoke at all during cranking?

aaaaa fuckin jayco. doin some home reno or travels?

We bought a new place. 95.8 acres, house, 2 barns. House has extensive water/termite damage and tested positive for lead paint. Its a tear down and was priced that way, but we can cook/take shits in it for now. We can’t live in it because I have a 2yo who would love to eat some lead paint. We are also remodeling and listing our current house asap. Roofers are halfway done now and the other contractors start Tuesday. Hopefully we build new next year, getting some excavation/driveway quotes, having plans professionally drawn up and we have 3 contractors in mind.

And yeah, my last camper was a 2015 Jayco premier 32rlds bumper pull from camping world. Its brown front cap faded and I could go on and on about all the poo poo that broke. I would have preferred a grand design solitude but the only ones in stock were too much pin weight for my single rear wheel 3500. I couldn’t stand up in the shower on a keystone montana, and the nearest bighorn dealer is 2 hours away. Jayco it is, not much selection right now. For some reason I only took a lovely backside picture of the new one. Both caps are supposedly painted so hopefully no fade. Has a meaningless full time approved 2 year warranty and I expect to have a laundry list of needed repairs by the time we move out. Does come with goodyear tires. Optioned with an RV fridge, slide awnings, heat pump.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Ferremit posted:

Yep, Thats gonna be where the issue is I recon- If they've gone to that much effort slapping RTV around to try and seal around that filter its probably full of air leaks. Toyota Diesels will NOT fire if theres air in the fuel- it compresses and the injectors just do not open.

Quick test is get some clear vinyl line and hook it between the filter and the injection pump- then you can watch the fuel stream.

I've seen the O rings on the filter heads go bad before and they wont leak fuel out, but will allow air in. They're not rebuildable without serious fuckery (they're all crimped shut assemblies) but you can get away with bypassing them with a joiner for trouble shooting. I also had one on my mates 1HD-T 80 series where the original 1992 fuel line was so old and hard that if you grabbed it and wiggled it while the engine was running it would struggle and die because it would move around the clamps and let air in.

I'd replace the soft line from the body fuel line to the filter with decent worm drive clamps (those spring clamps from toyota are actually only rated for single use and marked disposable in the workshop manuals), fit a piece of clear tube from filter to pump, again with worm drives and see if your getting a stream of bubbles in the fuel flow when cranking.

Did not know they weren’t rebuildable. I would buy a new one for sure or just replace it with an Airdog/FASS. Replacing with OEM is probably cheaper in this case.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

:psypop: That's a new level of PO fuckery that I haven't seen before.

I don't even know much about diesels, but there's no way that's sealing right. Or it's possible some of that poo poo got sucked up into the injector pump. :ohdear: (or into the filter itself, hopefully)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

Does it run with starting fluid?

Have you pulled the glow plugs out to check they are working (assuming they are nothing special you can test them with them pulled out of the engine and time them/check for glow. Use a jumper cable to earth stuff if necessary). However, assuming it is summer where you are then lack of glow plugs probably wont prevent it starting.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks all for the advice. First thing I will do is the simplest and replace what is obviously not right, I have a new fuel filter. I’ll take the top mount off and clean off the sealant too.

If that doesn’t do it I will order a top mount and then explore more. It has been 90 degrees here so glow plugs should not be an issue. From videos I’ve seen cranking it with the fuel lines cracked at injectors it should have been spraying out and it wasn’t just had fuel coming out. Hmmm

Sincere thanks for responses when I am able to get that fuel filter replaced will update!!

Edit: some Australian forums said they had filled new filter with atf after having air in system problems and it would help clean from filter to injectors is this a hilariously bad idea and I should just use diesel with the unknowns??

everdave fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 2, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Passed my CBT, off to join the cool dudes in CA, see ye losers *flicks vape pen at you*

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Didn’t know there was a test for cock and ball torture. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Took the filter housing off the Surf ridiculous

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Looks fact tree

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

gently caress glass tile. Tomorrow I'll be done and gently caress it forever. (Edit: The tiles are wavy, but properly in rows. Shrinking the image made it look like poo poo.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 2, 2020

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just got my first haircut since February. Omg it feels so much better. I had a straight up mullet going on=.

The guy in the unit across from me has a newish STI with the loudest popping exhaust ever. He wakes me up every morning at like 7:30am presumably to go work at best buy smdh. Other than that I'm settled into my new place.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

meatpimp posted:

gently caress glass tile. Tomorrow I'll be done and gently caress it forever. (Edit: The tiles are wavy, but properly in rows. Shrinking the image made it look like poo poo.)

Holy poo poo those tops are beautiful!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

drat meatpimp nice kitchen

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

meatpimp posted:

gently caress I really love your countertops.
We got quarts as well, but there's a bunch of gold and brown bits in ours. It's not bad though.

Also I'm super jealous of your proper hood vent. I loving hate that bullshit on the microwave, but I needed two full ovens so, oh well...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Goddamn this looks good. So uhhh wanna do counters in a camper?

rdb posted:

We bought a new place. 95.8 acres, house, 2 barns. House has extensive water/termite damage and tested positive for lead paint. Its a tear down and was priced that way, but we can cook/take shits in it for now. We can’t live in it because I have a 2yo who would love to eat some lead paint. We are also remodeling and listing our current house asap. Roofers are halfway done now and the other contractors start Tuesday. Hopefully we build new next year, getting some excavation/driveway quotes, having plans professionally drawn up and we have 3 contractors in mind.

And yeah, my last camper was a 2015 Jayco premier 32rlds bumper pull from camping world. Its brown front cap faded and I could go on and on about all the poo poo that broke. I would have preferred a grand design solitude but the only ones in stock were too much pin weight for my single rear wheel 3500. I couldn’t stand up in the shower on a keystone montana, and the nearest bighorn dealer is 2 hours away. Jayco it is, not much selection right now. For some reason I only took a lovely backside picture of the new one. Both caps are supposedly painted so hopefully no fade. Has a meaningless full time approved 2 year warranty and I expect to have a laundry list of needed repairs by the time we move out. Does come with goodyear tires. Optioned with an RV fridge, slide awnings, heat pump.

98 fuckin acres with two barns, goddamn. That's something to strive for.
Hell yeah good plan on living in it while you build a house. Fwiw some rv heatpumps will not work if its below freezing.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

SpaceX Crew Dragon is safely back on Earth and awaiting pickup in the ocean. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-l6f4wcv2I

e: It's now on the recovery boat!

Galler fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 2, 2020

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cursedshitbox posted:

98 fuckin acres with two barns, goddamn. That's something to strive for.
Hell yeah good plan on living in it while you build a house. Fwiw some rv heatpumps will not work if its below freezing.

Yeah, I figure below 40 its going to be useless. I am debating trying to get a 120-300 gallon propane tank and plumb it directly, and just have the propane guy fill it when needed, or just planning on changing cylinders out daily. Maybe a couple 100lbers would last a week.

The big tank is appealing because I just filled the 500 gallon house tank for $1.14 a gallon, delivered. Its never that cheap at the hardware store/tractor supply etc. Just not sure if its safe or even possible to hook the big tank up to a camper.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress I really love your countertops.
We got quarts as well, but there's a bunch of gold and brown bits in ours. It's not bad though.

Also I'm super jealous of your proper hood vent. I loving hate that bullshit on the microwave, but I needed two full ovens so, oh well...

Thanks for all the compliments. I'll get glamour shots when I get this backsplash done. It's been a long journey, but we're close.

The countertops are the star... we probably looked at 500 slabs before deciding on these, and we got them by sheer luck. This lot came in and was stunning... what you can't see is that it is FILLED with reflective and pearlescent areas that make it sparkle like a bass boat. The stone place sold out almost immediately, but I called back and they juggled a couple orders so we could get a bookmatched pair. Even when we were at the stone place, which had thousands of slabs, we had 3 different employees tell us how these were their favorites of all they'd gotten in.

The hood vent is nice, but I haven't punched the outlet through the wall yet. That's probably bumped to next year at this point. :shrug:

Just off to the side you can see the double "oven," which is a lower oven, upper microwave, but the microwave also has a full oven built-in. It's much smaller in volume than the main oven, but it'll do double duty when needed.

cursedshitbox posted:

If I was going to do a non-stone top, I'd lay up plywood and to an epoxy. Since your camper is mostly epoxy at this point, it's only fitting (plus tons lighter than stone)! My cousin made a new top for his desk last week, I think it looks amazing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Meatpimp your counters and tile look bomb man, awesome