Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

New record day is a good day

I remember the MOMENT I heard the first bass hits and intro to Down In It. I was in the back seat of my buddy's Quad4 Grand Am and I was blown away. Fan ever since.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Quake soundtrack was cool but I never got into nin.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

McTinkerson posted:

Finding a used set of 18" wheels with decent tires mounted locally is probably your best option.

On a Commodore SS especially. I'm not saying that because car nerd, but I know from experience cheap tyres on a SS are extremely bad news. It WILL swap ends. The SSV I had had 19" with some recycled condom rubber when I bought and dear loving god the only thigns those were good for was turning the traction control off and then laying 200 meters of smoke. Going used 18" with actual decent tyres was a revelation in that it turned corners without me wondering if I was about to hit a tree.

Rhyno posted:

Anyone in AI own a Stinger? I need to test drive more cars before I make my decision.

Good car. Which it had a manual but otherwise it's a shame they dont sell as they are one of the better cars going about.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Help me AI for I am about to schedule a test drive on Alfa Guilua Ti Sport. For their 110th anniversary, they're throwing a bunch of swag at everyone who test drives one.

Also, apparently the entire electrical system on the Ti and Four Cheese models were designed and manufactured by separate teams, so the Ti versions are more reliable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

McTinkerson posted:

Help me AI for I am about to schedule a test drive on Alfa Guilua Ti Sport. For their 110th anniversary, they're throwing a bunch of swag at everyone who test drives one.

Also, apparently the entire electrical system on the Ti and Four Cheese models were designed and manufactured by separate teams, so the Ti versions are more reliable.

Swag is good, but how does an entire electrical system for one chassis get developed by two different teams? Sounds like marketing bs to me... the corporate overlords wouldn't like that, it decreases profit.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I remember the MOMENT I heard the first bass hits and intro to Down In It. I was in the back seat of my buddy's Quad4 Grand Am and I was blown away. Fan ever since.

I loved the quad4 in my skylark. Shame the rest of the car made its platform mate, the grand am, seem like a Porsche design-wise.

Side note, just got my Magnepans back from service, this record just came in, it’s been a nice afternoon.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Audi A7 or Audi A6 or Porsche Panamera or Porsche Cayenne...what would you pick for lease?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gatts posted:

Audi A7 or Audi A6 or Porsche Panamera or Porsche Cayenne...what would you pick for lease?
Panamera, assuming you can have a full fat one. Guy I work with had a Turbo S, and it wasn't at all bad.

Not out of warranty though. I think he ran through £20k+ at the expense of Porsche UK.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Quick beginners question.

I got myself a bottle of snow foam and a pump sprayer. Do I use the snow foam instead of a shampoo later on, or is it just in preparation of shampooing (like a pre wash)?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I assume it wouldn't be loaded considering said A6 over S6. I would pick the A6 personally as I think it's the handsomest of the bunch and none of them offer a stick, but I still resent the Panamera for the sedan Porsche, unless you are going to get the Sport Turismo wagon Panamera, then get that.

Also throwing the Cayenne in there is odd, is there any reason other than just it's the only other large 4 door Porsche?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Quick beginners question.

I got myself a bottle of snow foam and a pump sprayer. Do I use the snow foam instead of a shampoo later on, or is it just in preparation of shampooing (like a pre wash)?
Snow foam is generally a pre wash. Though you can use it as a dispensed shampoo in that manner too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

McTinkerson posted:

they're throwing a bunch of swag at everyone who test drives one.

It'll either catch fire, rust or explode. Or all three

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

big dong wanter posted:

it looks like nankangs are the go, the cheapest "name brand" tyre is 400 bucks a corner and gently caress that noise

It’s loving stupid how expensive big low profile tyres are... I can pick up a 285/75R16 BFG or Toyo Mud Terrain for about the same per corner and there’s significantly more rubber and other material in one of them vs the 20” rubber bands

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

It’s loving stupid how expensive big low profile tyres are... I can pick up a 285/75R16 BFG or Toyo Mud Terrain for about the same per corner and there’s significantly more rubber and other material in one of them vs the 20” rubber bands
Market forces with a very common sizing can help a lot with that, if you have something fitted to shitloads of cars, it's noticeable how much better tyre availability and pricing can be. I've seen 20% price fluctuations just from a 10mm change in width to something more common.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TheBacon posted:

I assume it wouldn't be loaded considering said A6 over S6. I would pick the A6 personally as I think it's the handsomest of the bunch and none of them offer a stick, but I still resent the Panamera for the sedan Porsche, unless you are going to get the Sport Turismo wagon Panamera, then get that.

Also throwing the Cayenne in there is odd, is there any reason other than just it's the only other large 4 door Porsche?

I've got to get a new car coming up. I currently lease a Jaguar XE.

My "dream" car is a Porsche Panamera or a Bentley. The thing with the Porsche Panamera is that it's a $1000+ for a lease and I fear that is the base model. I'd want an upgraded model. I threw the Cayenne in there because there are times I need an SUV to haul some stuff and need utility and it is just a tad cheaper.

The Audi was my other route. It's cheaper but I've never driven an Audi either and they seem like decent cars.

There aren't a lot of other cars out there that'd excite me except maybe a Ford F150 Raptor.

InitialDave posted:

Panamera, assuming you can have a full fat one. Guy I work with had a Turbo S, and it wasn't at all bad.

Not out of warranty though. I think he ran through £20k+ at the expense of Porsche UK.

Ideally I'd want a V8 one but I think that's too expensive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, demand is a huge driver in tire costs and selection.

Tirerack, for the 245/60R15 / 275/60R15 combo I used to run on my C10: only two tire choices in a single category of "meh all-seasons", $600-720 for a set of four.
Tierack, for the 245/45R20 / 275/40R20 combo I run now: 39 different choices including every different version of "ultra high performance". Eight different options in the same $600-$720 price bracket, plus another 31 options up from there to $1700/set. Could even get some Eagle F1 Supercar 3s or Pilot Sport 4S tires, if they weren't way too nice for a truck.

The difference is that the 15" tires above are pretty much only bought for people who still want super tall sidewalls on 15" wheels on their muscle cars. The 20s include a lot of newer fitments from people who care about sticky rubber.

Amount of material clearly isn't that much of a driver because the 33x12.5R15 tires on my TJ also fall into that same price bracket, and those fuckers weigh nearly twice what those 20" tires do.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Tires are the only part of the car that touch the road, I can't imagine putting garbage on something that has the balls to spin 245's

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Ether Frenzy posted:

Tires are the only part of the car that touch the road, I can't imagine putting garbage on something that has the balls to spin 245's

My grandfather always told me that anything that keeps you off the ground is worth investing in. Beds, shoes, and tires.

I've only ever bought Michelin Defenders ever since I bought a set for my old Civic. I got about 35k miles out of them and the ride was significantly smoother than the balding good year tires the PO had put on it.

My cousin is the kind of guy that buys several sets of tires at a time for different seasons. My impression is that buying tires for a performance vehicle is very different from buying tires for a commuter car/daily driver. I would not know personally as I have only driven poo poo boxes until I bought my Corolla a few months ago.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Passat will rip the 245s all the way through first and chirp into second. Beater cars best cars.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Swag is good, but how does an entire electrical system for one chassis get developed by two different teams? Sounds like marketing bs to me... the corporate overlords wouldn't like that, it decreases profit.

The Giulia was developed in 2.5 years by a team of 10, compared to the 4-5 years and hundreds of persons it typically takes to develop an all-new, RWD car

It is plausible the team that had to work with the boring FCA bits knew what they were doing and could share work with other FCA divisions, while the team that had to do the QV's electricals didn't know what to do with the Ferrari bits that Ferrari wouldn't share info about

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Plus self-immolation is a Ferrari tradition.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Gatts posted:

I've got to get a new car coming up. I currently lease a Jaguar XE.

My "dream" car is a Porsche Panamera or a Bentley. The thing with the Porsche Panamera is that it's a $1000+ for a lease and I fear that is the base model. I'd want an upgraded model. I threw the Cayenne in there because there are times I need an SUV to haul some stuff and need utility and it is just a tad cheaper.

The Audi was my other route. It's cheaper but I've never driven an Audi either and they seem like decent cars.

There aren't a lot of other cars out there that'd excite me except maybe a Ford F150 Raptor.

Ideally I'd want a V8 one but I think that's too expensive.

Really it’s probably best to figure out if you really need an SUV, you’ve been getting by without one so like doing that math for your own needs. After you figure that you should just go test drive the models that interest you, leasing a luxury car isn’t going to make too much difference besides the pricing and how you like the cars personally. Around here places are doing contactless test drives, so should be safe to be able to go spend some time with each model, drive it and get a feel and spend a bunch of time just parked and going through all the infotainment stuff and the interior and figuring out if you like the way it functions and the workflow.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

InitialDave posted:

Snow foam is generally a pre wash. Though you can use it as a dispensed shampoo in that manner too.

Thanks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ether Frenzy posted:

245's ain't poo poo. I put 130hp to the ground on my ranger and it would slip tire all day (albeit only a single tire because no lsd.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

Panamera Wagon.
Followed by A6 Wagon.

Ferremit posted:

It's loving stupid how expensive big low profile tyres are... I can pick up a 285/75R16 BFG or Toyo Mud Terrain for about the same per corner and there's significantly more rubber and other material in one of them vs the 20" rubber bands

Absolutely. I think it also has to do with the fact that people rolling on 19"+ are willing to spend more, thus stuff costs more. On my BMW's summer wheels (18") it was right at the cusp of expensive territory, where just 10mm wider would increase the set price by $100.

Anecdote I've probably told before; right when the first wave of X5/Cayenne/That Merc SUV I can't bother looking up the model of/Tuareg/Q7 they were comparable cheap to get here, provided you formally registered them as a van (so, back seats got torn out, basically.) Eight years later they were often spotted with worn to gently caress tires because they got bought up by dudes who could barely afford one, and probably fainted when he saw that a new set would set him back one sixth of his purchase price.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

64bit_Dophins posted:

My grandfather always told me that anything that keeps you off the ground is worth investing in. Beds, shoes, and tires.
This is very good advice. I'm a cheap bastard but those are three things I won't skimp on.

bolind posted:

Anecdote I've probably told before; right when the first wave of X5/Cayenne/That Merc SUV I can't bother looking up the model of/Tuareg/Q7 they were comparable cheap to get here, provided you formally registered them as a van (so, back seats got torn out, basically.) Eight years later they were often spotted with worn to gently caress tires because they got bought up by dudes who could barely afford one, and probably fainted when he saw that a new set would set him back one sixth of his purchase price.
This is very true around here. All the German suvs on their third or fourth owner are cheap because they haven't been maintained and need new tires. We looked at a couple private party and they were all trashed, the one that passed my quick look over massively failed a PPI.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

Do you have any kei trucks for sale r/n? I was looking for a polaris ranger, lifted kei truck might work too.

I own some keis but they are on the boat or in Japan. From what I remember my Mitsubishi box kei and my Atrai turbo or all I can remember right now. Are you in America or OZ? Come over to the Japan import thread we’d be happy to steer you in the right direction or get one for you for cost that’s just how it is. The stuff I have I want to flip for a lot but we can show you how to get one yourself or just pay for it and we will get it for you. Keis can cost a few hundred bucks to a lot plus you have all the import fees. I would be happy to dish out free advice

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

everdave posted:

I own some keis but they are on the boat or in Japan. From what I remember my Mitsubishi box kei and my Atrai turbo or all I can remember right now. Are you in America or OZ? Come over to the Japan import thread we’d be happy to steer you in the right direction or get one for you for cost that’s just how it is. The stuff I have I want to flip for a lot but we can show you how to get one yourself or just pay for it and we will get it for you. Keis can cost a few hundred bucks to a lot plus you have all the import fees. I would be happy to dish out free advice

I am about 2 hours north of you in the US.

They are legal on roads with a 55mph speed limit or less in indiana. A Kei truck with AC seems to run about $12-13k, a polaris ranger northstar with cab and AC is $24k. Obviously, the polaris has parts availability and a warranty, but at half the cost I at least want to see if my 6’6 frame can fit in a Kei.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rdb posted:

They are legal on roads with a 55mph speed limit or less in indiana. A Kei truck with AC seems to run about $12-13k, a polaris ranger northstar with cab and AC is $24k. Obviously, the polaris has parts availability and a warranty, but at half the cost I at least want to see if my 6’6 frame can fit in a Kei.

Why not just get a decent used Jeep Wrangler at that price point? ATV prices are goddamn ridiculous imo. Also a Wrangler is going to be a shitload more capable than a Kei truck.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

rdb posted:

You could get a good kei if you did it yourself with ac for way less than 10, I have never spent over $10k on any vehicle from Japan as the raw purchase price before fees. I would be happy to help you throw $500 on top for my trouble I’d say $5-7k with low miles

Edit: these already showed up they look pretty drat good for $411

everdave fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 7, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

QV has Ferarri dervied bits and the regular one has something else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bolind posted:

Panamera Wagon.
Followed by A6 Wagon.

E63AMG wagon.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Didn't those come with the m156 at one point, famous for breaking cylinder head bolts and leaving owners with $50k repair bills?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kastein posted:

Didn't those come with the m156 at one point, famous for breaking cylinder head bolts and leaving owners with $50k repair bills?

yes but if you do happen to get one you should just do the head bolts as PM. it's a shame as the M156 is a really good engine otherwise.

anyway the newer ones (since 2012) have the turbocharged M157 which is a different thing entirely

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So my area got reamed by the hurricane this week and knocked power out all over the place. I lost mine for two days. Yesterday my great uncle and I went searching for a male plug that would fit the 220 cord for my generator so that it could run my well (and everything else). My pump is a 5 stage 1.5hp one that's 60 years old and 200 feet underground. The generator is 5500 watts so it should be able to start the pump but we weren't 100% sure so we got walkie talkies so one of us could be in the well house and the other at the breaker panel to kill it if the pump wouldn't start and burn it out.

Took us about 3 hours all together dealing with huge intersections with no working stop lights in busy areas and then the electrical supply place moved so we had to look for it and of course they were out of anything generator related. Luckily we have an electrician friend who just retired last year so we go to him and he has exactly what we needed, a 4 10 cable with the right plug on it about 5 feet long, it couldn't have been a better find. We finally get back to my house and drag the generator over to the breaker panel and when I go inside to unlock the door my power was back on. I was so stoked I wasn't even mad we wasted all that time driving around. Earlier that day my aunt said watch the power be back on when you guys get done and she was right and I'm so glad she was. They were saying we might not get it back until Tuesday.

At least got to spend some time with my uncle anyway and have a funny story to tell.

I then took the best shower of my life.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://denver.craigslist.org/clt/d/denver-hot-shot-salespeople/7141019358.html

Coloring book for car salesmen to learn their trade

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes but if you do happen to get one you should just do the head bolts as PM. it's a shame as the M156 is a really good engine otherwise.

anyway the newer ones (since 2012) have the turbocharged M157 which is a different thing entirely

Also if you are leasing that doesn't matter at all

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Subaru outback lease ending early next year, beginning to look around.

Should I just get the 2021 outback with the turbo engine?

Has anyone tried the volvo v90 cross country, audi a6 allroad, mercedes e all terrain? Their interiors are quite nice, but they are $$$$. Hows the noise isolation?

More importantly, are they worth their salt on lovely mountain roads? I drove through foot high water/mud and heavily damaged dirt trails more than a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Woof, home inspection went horribly. Hole in the main sewer line patched with duct tape, plumbing done with car exhaust piping, horrific wiring, mold in the attic and basement, stove leaks gas, dangerous porches and deck, bad outlets, exposed wires, bare wires, no bueno.

However, we're FHA, so the poor bastards are going to have to fix a lot of the problems going forward, otherwise, the bank won't finance and they'll legally have to disclose all of those problems to potential buyers/lenders should they decide to back out of the >$10k of repairs that the FHA will require. We're coming out on top either way